Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
If you set the downforce to 1 on the 911R, the spoiler will stay up.

Same thing with several Kunos cars. I know the Audi R8 does it too for example. It's a neat detail.

That's probably it. The Porsche 911 R and Audi R8 are indeed some of the cars having this little detail, which might have tricked me into thinking that adjustable rear wings came with corresponding visible changes on all cars having this setting. Still, I have this faint image in my head seeing similar details on cars like the Porsche 935/78, but maybe it's something I have dreamt up, as the comments by @BrandonW77 and @Wiz would lead me to believe. Thanks for clarifying everyone. :cheers:

A large part of being consistent with the DS4 comes down to getting comfortable using your preferred configuration and setting. Wheels may be more intuitive and easier to rotate in a meaningful way, but controller pads can be great too. See this post I wrote the other day.

I get what your saying about official rights, but I have come to the conclusion that such rights make games worse. So many formalities to follow and often the games end up suffering in areas that matter. I believe AC benefits from being so pure and hopefully it stays that way.
I've tried that exact setting before coincidentally ( literally tried dozens and dozens now ), didn't like it with normal cars. The setting I have now is pretty good bar with the MX5 cup car.
I didn't want to sit through the entire 36 min video. I skipped ahead until he was on the track and then I stopped around the 11 minute mark. I heard him say that he favors AC FFB of all the various racing sims available. Plus he says the experience with Direct Drive is incredible. That doesn't seem to be a surprise. :lol: Does he go on to say anything negative about the experience with AC & the DD wheel? That dude has a sick rig. :eek:
The only negative he said is that the suspension seams to be a bit exaggerated through the wheel like when going off track on to grass. Also mentioned a view that I share with him, 899 quid or whatever it costs is a lot of money, but you could spend the on a wheel anyway over 5 or 6 years replacing a broken wheel and have and interior product, whilst a DD should last ages.

That's probably it. The Porsche 911 R and Audi R8 are indeed some of the cars having this little detail, which might have tricked me into thinking that adjustable rear wings came with corresponding visible changes on all cars having this setting. Still, I have this faint image in my head seeing similar details on cars like the Porsche 935/78, but maybe it's something I have dreamt up, as the comments by @BrandonW77 and @Wiz would lead me to believe. Thanks for clarifying everyone. :cheers:
I wondered about the wings changing to so tried it a while back and noticed the wings change iirc. Also after reading your post I thought I'd take the 935 out for a spin. I took it to Highlands short, was really enjoyable around there even though it's too powerful for that track. I never got out of 3rd gear. I feel like that track teaches me to be smooth in powerful cars.

I've seen the active aero rear wings stay in the up/active position when you change Aero from 0 to 1 on certain cars, like the ones mentioned already. I can't say that I've ever noticed rear wings angles change while adjusting cars with multiple settings. When we received one of the Porsche packs, I can't remember which, one of the cars had an option called Gurney Flap (0 or 1) and at the time I had no idea freakin' idea what a Gurney Flap was. Once it was explained to me, I went back to see if I could see it on the rear wing. No dice.

I can kind of see why they don't bother visualizing the rear wing adjustment - especially when it is only a few degrees - but it would be really nice if they did show something like a Gurney Flap installed on the rear wing. Simulation Value = 0.0

I've seen the active aero rear wings stay in the up/active position when you change Aero from 0 to 1 on certain cars, like the ones mentioned already. I can't say that I've ever noticed rear wings angles change while adjusting cars with multiple settings. When we received one of the Porsche packs, I can't remember which, one of the cars had an option called Gurney Flap (0 or 1) and at the time I had no idea freakin' idea what a Gurney Flap was. Once it was explained to me, I went back to see if I could see it on the rear wing. No dice.

I can kind of see why they don't bother visualizing the rear wing adjustment - especially when it is only a few degrees - but it would be really nice if they did show something like a Gurney Flap installed on the rear wing. Simulation Value = 0.0
The Gurney flap is on the 935, I was wondering what that was too. The DRS wings do visually move though.

The Gurney flap is on the 935, I was wondering what that was too. The DRS wings do visually move though.
Yup. Thank God they did animate that. It would be a huge letdown if they hadn't. I know that on a car like the McLaren P1 you'll see the appropriate wing movement when activating the DRS function. I can't think of one off the top of my very, very tired head, but I could swear that we have some other cars that have active aero that adjusts the angle of the wing when reaching a certain speed. Hmmm is it the MP4-12C? I thought there was a more "average" car with an automatically adjusting rear wing. I'm not thinking of something like the Pagani Huayra with it's insane aerodynamics. :D

I still don't understand the Gurney Flap. I know what it is, but I don't know if I should use it only once I've maximized the adjustable angle of the wing. Yes, I should have run my own tests...I just haven't because I'm a lazy slob. :embarrassed: :D

Yup. Thank God they did animate that. It would be a huge letdown if they hadn't. I know that on a car like the McLaren P1 you'll see the appropriate wing movement when activating the DRS function. I can't think of one off the top of my very, very tired head, but I could swear that we have some other cars that have active aero that adjusts the angle of the wing when reaching a certain speed. Hmmm is it the MP4-12C? I thought there was a more "average" car with an automatically adjusting rear wing. I'm not thinking of something like the Pagani Huayra with it's insane aerodynamics. :D

I still don't understand the Gurney Flap. I know what it is, but I don't know if I should use it only once I've maximized the adjustable angle of the wing. Yes, I should have run my own tests...I just haven't because I'm a lazy slob. :embarrassed: :D
Is it the Porsche Panamara ( or whatever it's called ) You're thinking of? The Ferrari F1s also has a moving wing.

Not sure what the Burney wing is but I'm assuming it's the wings on the side of the wing.

Is it the Porsche Panamara ( or whatever it's called ) You're thinking of? The Ferrari F1s also has a moving wing.

Not sure what the Burney wing is but I'm assuming it's the wings on the side of the wing.
You might be right because that Porsche sedan does have that crazy wing that opens up like a Transformer.

A Gurney Flap is really just a piece of metal (it doesn't have to be metal as long as it's strong enough to hold up and not deform) that is attached to the tail end of a car's wing at a 90 degree angle. It changes the way of the rear aerodynamics, obviously.

ykCVp34.png

Even though it is one piece, I guess they still call it the gurney flap. (Pic. Above)

vvNMOD2.jpg

Here is a much better example of a gurney flap that looks like it can be removed if need be:

EjfdoaW.jpg

As we see, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes

I can't think of one off the top of my very, very tired head, but I could swear that we have some other cars that have active aero that adjusts the angle of the wing when reaching a certain speed.

Doesn't the LaFerrari have active-aero similar to the P1?, I think it's animated similarly, but it's been awhile since I drove it.

I wondered about the wings changing to so tried it a while back and noticed the wings change iirc.

I assume you're referring to cars on which the wing position can be set to either 0 or 1 in setup, such as the Porsche 911 R and Audi R8 already mentioned? Or are you in fact talking about wing angle adjustments in general?

I believe the Gurney Flap is visible by default on the Porsche 935/78. As you confirm, changing the setting doesn't change how the wing looks, but I'm pretty sure the flap is visible at all times. If so, strange how the 0 value is default.

It does have a very small flap that angles upward when necessary.

Now that I think about it, the Hyuara has even more 'flaps' too.
I remember GT6 even had them animated if I'm correct, front & rear split in left & right sides depending on which direction you turned.

Wonder if Kunos went full-effort on the underside-aero for the FXX-K, 'scoops' and all.

I assume that we already know you can visualize the flaps in AC Showroom. While turning around the car push the 0,1,2 or 3 on numpad.
But you do not see the difference of angle e.g. lower/higher value when you change the rearwing in car setup. I think that was the initial question.

Why does the car list on AC's website have two additional Lotus models not featured in the game? I'm talking about the Lotus Evora SR and Lotus Exige 240. The Evora S and Exige 240R are in the game but I cannot find the Evora SR and Exige 240.

On a related subject, did the Lotus Exos T125 ever reach any real world customers? There doesn't seem to be much info on it out there.

I assume that we already know you can visualize the flaps in AC Showroom. While turning around the car push the 0,1,2 or 3 on numpad.

This must be a PC only thing.

But you do not see the difference of angle e.g. lower/higher value when you change the rearwing in car setup. I think that was the initial question.

Ok, I guess it's settled.

Why does the car list on AC's website have two additional Lotus models not featured in the game? I'm talking about the Lotus Evora SR and Lotus Exige 240. The Evora S and Exige 240R are in the game but I cannot find the Evora SR and Exige 240.

The Evora SR on the website appears to be the Evora S with the S2 upgrades found in game. The Exige 240 on the site is actually the Exige 240R in game, with the Exige 240R on the website being the Exige 240R with S3 upgrades in game.

On a related subject, did the Lotus Exos T125 ever reach any real world customers? There doesn't seem to be much info on it out there.

The general consensus is that it's dead, but I swear I saw one race at Road Atlanta during a Classic Motorsports event a few years back. And as I type this, I found a recap which confirms it. It was stupid fast but only ran a handful of laps before retiring. So I guess they're out there, just no longer supported and/or racing?

edit: Found another article which explains it better. Project was indeed cancelled before any of them were ever sold but after 2 prototypes were built. I must have seen one of those prototypes.

Last edited:
But at least we got a funny Top Gear clip out of the Exos before it died.

"And it comes with a Jean Alesi"....

I didn't want to sit through the entire 36 min video. I skipped ahead until he was on the track and then I stopped around the 11 minute mark. I heard him say that he favors AC FFB of all the various racing sims available. Plus he says the experience with Direct Drive is incredible. That doesn't seem to be a surprise. :lol: Does he go on to say anything negative about the experience with AC & the DD wheel? That dude has a sick rig. :eek:
That wes before he tested old rival, 2:05 - 3:00, 7:39 - 9:09 are for AC, rest is just same old.. :)

I assume you're referring to cars on which the wing position can be set to either 0 or 1 in setup, such as the Porsche 911 R and Audi R8 already mentioned? Or are you in fact talking about wing angle adjustments in general?

I
I can't remember tbh, it was a while ago.

So any news on RTR on consoles... AC seems very quiet lately...
In case you missed it, Stefano wrote a few things about the upcoming update ten days ago:
"We've been working on it full steam ahead since last Monday, although some of the code conversion was already done before that while waiting for submissions.. can't give you dates but since it does not contain such huge new systems such as custom lobbies should be much easier to get ready to.. release"

"Q: If I may ask, Does that update bring the new AI and the custom button mapping? And is that a confirmation that you werent able to work on the new update until 1.14 for XBOX passed submission?"
"A: Yes to the first (AI & BM), no to the second.. work was already on the way during the submission process on things like BM for example but of course they were done at lower priority compared to work needed for the subs. Now that there are no subs the focus is 100% on getting the update ready."

Hopefully, It won't take much longer. I want to drive the MC12 so badly..

Source? Last I heard was that they are in QA before entering submission, but this was more than a week ago.
I'm guessing that's he\she was referring to but assumed they were the same thing? How long did we wait for the 1.14 update after Q&A? This one obviously shouldn't take as long.

I'm guessing that's he\she was referring to but assumed they were the same thing? How long did we wait for the 1.14 update after Q&A? This one obviously shouldn't take as long.

I don't remember how long it took last time, but keep in mind that version 1.14 was particularly difficult for the developers, also on PS4. Ideally it shouldn't take too long, but who knows what kind of trouble they might encounter when reworking things like the AI.

For online console users, how hard would it be to let users know the progress of races that are currently underway? As of now, console users can see an open lobby race they might want to join, but can only see it's currently in progress. They have no idea if the race is currently on lap one, three, seven, etc. Perhaps the race is almost finished, and will be done within the next five minutes or so. Or maybe it just started, and it will be at least a half hour until it's finished. With the abysmal number of PS4 racers currently racing in open online lobbies (in Assetto Corsa), any help to unite racers would go a long way in keeping this game relevant in the next few months.

===========================================================

Meh... Never-mind. My question made me delve into the company that it Kunos, and I now realize that Assetto doesn't really have much of a future on consoles. It was a money grab, and they got my money, once. While it is a game that features a great driving feeling... I doubt it will ever be a great game.

Last edited:
I don't remember how long it took last time, but keep in mind that version 1.14 was particularly difficult for the developers, also on PS4. Ideally it shouldn't take too long, but who knows what kind of trouble they might encounter when reworking things like the AI.
Sure that's why I was trying to find the timescale, if it took 2 months from Q&A then I know to expect this update in less time than that.
Meh... Never-mind. My question made me delve into the company that it Kunos, and I now realize that Assetto doesn't really have much of a future on consoles. It was a money grab, and they got my money, once. While it is a game that features a great driving feeling... I doubt it will ever be a great game.
You are ill informed then. Not sure what you mean by future? How many games have a cuter beyond one or 2 years? If it was a money grab we wouldn't now have private lobbies, we wouldn't be getting custom button mapping in the next update at the request of the players. We wouldn't be getting updates at all.

Yes you're right there is no way of telling how many laps are in progress, but guess what? These cash grabbers have listened to our suggestions and agreed we need more info on the severe that are being run, which can't be added until the next update.

If you wanted a great game from Assetto Corsa then that's your fault for thinking it was trying to be a great game when it's all about the driving. There are plenty of great racing games on console, but there is only one to truly offer a great driving experience. Not every game gas to be all things! That said, I'm sure if in the likely hood they make AC2, it will be a better game too as they will have a much bigger budget to brainstorm with than the 70k euros they had for AC1.

As of today they are hiring too so that's a good sign.

Back