Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
  • 1,089,867 views
We are pleased to announce that the three top-voted by the public have been confirmed for production, to delight of fans:

Alfa Romeo 4C
Alfa Romeo GTA
Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI
But which GTA?
Corsa? Stradale?
1600? 1300? GTAm?

It's a great car to have in any variant, but they could have been a fair bit more specific.
 
But which GTA?
Corsa? Stradale?
1600? 1300? GTAm?

It's a great car to have in any variant, but they could have been a fair bit more specific.

patience-yoda.jpg
 
Impending Nissan license? AC just posted some news on the Nurb and included the tail light of the GT-R in it...
 
Sound is pretty good in AC... I hate the sound in forza. After 10 mins it gets totally annoying. Ac does not support 5.1 yet maybe that's yo


So that second image must be the first ac Nordschleife shot I think?

If you mean the GT86, no that is a photo.

If they are scanning it right now they don't have any mesh models in game to post yet for sure.
 
If you mean the GT86, no that is a photo.

If they are scanning it right now they don't have any mesh models in game to post yet for sure.

Lol that sound thing was an 2 weeks old writing that popped up where I was writing this comment.

These days you can't really tell the difference between a game and real life anymore. In videos.
 
Last edited:
A fictional skin in the style of the ADAC ZURICH 24h Rennen on the Nürburgring.
It looks simple, but it was more work than it seems.
I couldn't paint the windows, but wanted to keep the sponsors authentic,
that's why the Gran Turismo & Mobile.de banners are basically on the roof.

Hope you like it and if not, sorry I disappointed you.

Please read the ReadMe for more informations!

preview4to3m7u2r.jpg

​
Code:
Torbringer Motorsport BMW Z4 E89 Step 1 by GTAce v1.0

Install: Extract the .zip and put the folder "torbringer_motorsport" into X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\bmw_z4_s1\skins

Special thanks to Gethema, who gave me the permission to include a variant of his wonderful "Angel Eyes" mod.
You can get it from here, for your other BMW Z4s: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/bmw-z4-gt3-angel-eyes.10181/

Do not upload this skin anywhere else without my permission.
Do not alter any of the files without my permission.
I'm not responsible for any harm the included files may cause on your computer.
Any authorized download from me is virus free, if you encounter any issues, you most likely downloaded it from a shady source.

The team "Torbringer Motorsport" is a fictional racing team created by myself, as is the brand "Torbringer Audio Solutions" including the logo.
Any similarity with real persons, brands, firms etc. is pure coincidence and was not intentional.

 
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is what independent modders can achieve with a "proper" SIM sound engine to work with:


​

Please Kunos, work on this and the current idiotic penalty system!​
 
First of all I'm not trolling, I am criticizing AC in an very weak area of the SIM. If you are objective and have good hearing you should be able to acknowledge this point. Secondly, having spent some time playing AC, I highly doubt the video (I should say sound) you posted does not seem at all to come from AC.

I have posted here before, I have and continue to compliment AC for it's qualities, the sound and penalty system are not among them. I am hoping Kunos will change that. Of course if you are a gamer they are more than adequate.
 
Well, FMOD will definitely bring improvements sound-wise. Can't wait.

The penalties need some work, though. As long as they go on a turn by turn basis and establish which corners and sections of the track deserve a penalty and which don't, it will improve. There's only so much they can do without any sort of judges of track marshals in every race...
 
Coxis

It's good to hear the sound will improve!

On the penalty side, I suppose a full flag system like rFactor is out of the question, if you look at what SimBin have done with R3E it's pretty good.
 
lol, off course the sound is real, the AC sound engine is clearly capable of good engine sound. and with fmod the devs will rework the existing sounds.

mod thread: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...s1-formula-1-v10-engine-sound-released.10286/

Well, you could have said that in the first place like Coxis did instead of attacking my opinion. Obviously I was not the only one.

From: http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-update-0-20-released/

"
New sounds in development!


Modern gamers are never happy: they want more. We are gamers too, so we know how you feel. While our programmers are working hard on improving AI and multiplayer code, we have some extra news that we are pretty sure you will like a lot. We try to be always honest with you, and we recognize that one of the areas where there is more room for improvement is the sound environment. When we conceived Assetto Corsa, we have designed its structure in order to make the job as easier as possible for modders, but in some way, this has affected our choices and how Assetto Corsa performs sound effects. We have decided to provide a huge enhancement to the sound experience in Assetto Corsa: the final version of the game will be powered by FMod: FMOD Studio is an audio content creation tool for games, with a focus on a ‘Pro Audio’ approach: it’s used by Driveclub, Forza Motorsport 5 and other AAA racing titles and it’s the perfect choice to give Assetto Corsa what it is still missing. This will require a great effort from our team in order to convert or reproduce from scratch the sound packages for each car, but the internal tests already underway, are very encouraging. We are sure that AC gamers will be enthusiastic about the final result and that alone, will worth the investment needed."


Regardless, I am glad to learn the sounds will be impoved.
 
Last edited:
First of all I'm not trolling, I am criticizing AC in an very weak area of the SIM. If you are objective and have good hearing you should be able to acknowledge this point. Secondly, having spent some time playing AC, I highly doubt the video (I should say sound) you posted does not seem at all to come from AC.

I have posted here before, I have and continue to compliment AC for it's qualities, the sound and penalty system are not among them. I am hoping Kunos will change that. Of course if you are a gamer they are more than adequate.

If you don't like the penalty system (and it can be annoying), turn it off.

I suppose they could keep it intact and just void any time (without the engine kill). That would still help keep times legit. But multiplayer would then be riddled with people taking short cuts without penalty. See below*.

It's really easy to criticize things like this (since we all get annoyed by it at one point or another), but it's also difficult to come up with systems that are better. Since the alternatives also have major holes in them that can be criticized. It's not like Kunos choose this to randomly tick people off, it was chosen because they though it was the most logical solution (compared to other solutions).

*Working off that for a second. Say you did just void times in time trial, you could cut the last corner ( or 3 corners out and half a track away) so that you'd have a higher top speed heading into the next lap. You'd have to say any time you cut a track, that lap and the NEXT lap time were VOID. And that would be even more annoying.

It's not easy. Because everything has holes in it.
 
@Paul

Last time I tried to disable the penalty it did not work. I will admit, other than for casual testing I have not seriously used AC in a few weeks. Can you let me know how this is possible now? Point me in the right direction?

Cheers
 
I don't think it's possible, he was just giving you a scenario to think about.

Killing the engine or forcing you to slow down are fine by me as long as it is done on a part of the track where there is potential of gaining time by cutting a corner or otherwise going off-track. Clearly the system is currently overkill because any off track will give you the penalty. It's just a matter of time for them to adjust the penalties on a track by track, corner by corner basis. Game's not even out yet, I doubt they'll keep the penalty system as-is for 1.0.

A fancier but potentially exploitable way would be to only give out penalties if your going off-track gained you time. If you intentionally go off track to gain time (and you actually do) then you get a penalty, but if you go off track to say, avoid a crash and lose time in the process, you don't. It's like I said before, it's really difficult to judge without real track marshals online at all times. A perfect system is impossible.
 
The biggest problem with the current system, other than the overkill as you point out Coxis, is that as you rejoin the track (going much slower) you can force others behind you to slow down, or worse hit you. Again, this is a very bad and lazy way to run a race system. Why not just have you drive through the pits or a stop-and-go penalty depending on how severe your infraction is? This should be fairly easy to implement, and much, much more realistic and fair.
 
@Paul

Last time I tried to disable the penalty it did not work. I will admit, other than for casual testing I have not seriously used AC in a few weeks. Can you let me know how this is possible now? Point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Didn't realize it no longer worked. I know there was a period where I actually experimented with it off (so it briefly worked at one point), but I just turned it back on since it invalidated official times.

I'd definitely feel better about what I wrote if it did actually work. And it probably is more complicated from a programming POV than we'd like to think. I'm not aware of any PC racing game that not only allows user tracks (which means you just can't have prebaked rules since you're not controlling what's playable), but then has official lap leaderboards via something like Steamworks. I suspect keeping laps moderately untainted isn't the easiest under these circumstances.
 
And.... slow enough car + tight enough corner, it's potentially possible to severely cut a corner with effectively no penalty, given the 50kmph thing. Then you've got the opposite end of the spectrum: fast car, subtle corner, big penalty.
 
I sure hope they are coming out with a meaningful update soon. There hasn't been a update with anything that you can call progress for a month or so now?
 
So after that big pcars disappointment with no fanatec and Logitech support for consoles, I ll focus back on this beautiful game :) with my 3 year old pc it still runs pretty nice.

I don't see why I should buy an expensive new pc or an expensive new wheel only to play pCARS.
 
Then buy pCARS for your 3 year old PC as well, 'cause there you have no compatibility issues to resolve.
My 4 years old PC runs it quite well.
By the way, nothing is final on this "Logitech & Fanatec not supported on PS4" issues.
 
Then buy pCARS for your 3 year old PC as well, 'cause there you have no compatibility issues to resolve.
My 4 years old PC runs it quite well.
By the way, nothing is final on this "Logitech & Fanatec not supported on PS4" issues.

Some say you need the newest hardware to play it and some say it runs on old pc's. What now :D

I watched an inside sim racing video about pcars yesterday. He was using an gtx780ti graphics card and had turned off the mirrors to run it smoothly. As I know the 780ti is the fastest graphics card on the market atm?
 
Some say you need the newest hardware to play it and some say it runs on old pc's. What now :D

I watched an inside sim racing video about pcars yesterday. He was using an gtx780ti graphics card and had turned off the mirrors to run it smoothly. As I know the 780ti is the fastest graphics card on the market atm?
You have to remember though that it's not finished yet so not fully optimised, also, if you are running ridiculous settings then it's obviously going to affect frame rates.

I don't have PCars but I do have Assetto Corsa, and I have to bump down AA settings when running multiple cars on the track because it lags and that's with a brand new machine running a GTX780... But yet the same game played fine in hot lap mode with the integrated graphics (obviously with all settings lowered).

That's the great thing about PC games, when they have been optimised right. At low settings people can play the game on older hardware just fine, you just won't get the same eye candy. But if you have a descent system, bump up the graphics quality and you get the full experience.
 
Of course, on my system I can't crank everything up to ultra settings, but appr. a year ago I played pCARS on my PC when a friend of mine who has a membership over at wmd visited me.
When I remember correctly, it run with appr. 50fps against 8 AI opponents on track at medium settings, 1080p, 4x AA, 4x AF plus HDR lightning.
Of course it could've been even more beautiful but it was well above everything running on last gen consoles (aka PS3 and XBOX360).
These are my PC system's specs:
Intel Core-i7 930 (socket 1366), 6GB Triple Channel RAM @1333MHz, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 470 AMP! (1,2GB Video RAM).
You see, specs are well outdated nowadays but right now I play AC with similar settings mentioned above flawlessly with 60fps.
 
Some say you need the newest hardware to play it and some say it runs on old pc's. What now :D

I watched an inside sim racing video about pcars yesterday. He was using an gtx780ti graphics card and had turned off the mirrors to run it smoothly. As I know the 780ti is the fastest graphics card on the market atm?
What people are referring to with needing the newest hardware, (not only newest but multi gpu), for Pcars is if you want to use all the weather and such effects your gonna need to drop some serious cash to get the hardware needed. You will be able to play Pcars on a med. end pc, but your not going to be seeing all the pretty graphics Pcars is boasting. For a race in the rain at night with changing time and weather you gonna need a super computer basically.
 
Back