Aston Martin Reveals the DBX's More Powerful 542hp V8 Heart

2000s people: This era is ****. Cayenne, diesel Panamera, Cygnet, no manual Ferraris...

2010s people: hold my Turbo S Taycan and my SUV Aston.

I'm waiting for the day where the purpose of roads become irrelevant due to global warming, and Aston Martin brings out their own consumer line of solar-powered submarines. Trying styling that with a massive hole at the front and do-anything suspension.

Hopefully this SUV craze is a bad dream and I’ll wake up soon
SUVs are good. If it wasn't for SUVs, we wouldn't have the interesting things. No Qashqai, no GT-R. No Cayenne, no 911. No DBX, no Valkyrie.

SUVs are good. If it wasn't for SUVs, we wouldn't have the interesting things. No Qashqai, no GT-R. No Cayenne, no 911. No DBX, no Valkyrie.

How could pushing the envelope of vehicle engineering to achieve new levels of automotive performance and capability possibly be considered good to a car enthusiast? You're not making any sense.

How could pushing the envelope of vehicle engineering to achieve new levels of automotive performance and capability possibly be considered good to a car enthusiast? You're not making any sense.
Us car enthusiasts are very, very small minority. Reason why there’s no new MR-2 or new RX-7 is because most car enthusiasts get their cars in the second-hand market, with people aged 30-50 actually buying new (and I believe the Supra is a hard sell for dealers atm). In other words, you not gonna see that huge car nut in high school getting a brand new Supra in senior years, he’s gonna grab a Mk. lll for three grand.

This Aston is not made for enthusiasts whatsoever. It’s made for Bentayga customers to sell high and with volume. The only reason this car has ANY performance is just justify it being an Aston.

This Aston is not made for enthusiasts whatsoever.

I'm a car enthusiast and I own a minivan and SUV. Glad to know that those are not made for me.

It's hilarious by the way, the notion that car enthusiasts cannot buy SUVs, and that they cannot care about performance in an SUV. Turns out I own several cars...

I'm a car enthusiast and I own a minivan and SUV. Glad to know that those are not made for me.

It's hilarious by the way, the notion that car enthusiasts cannot buy SUVs, and that they cannot care about performance in an SUV. Turns out I own several cars...

Well, you're not a TR00 ENTHUSIAST then, bro ;)

Us car enthusiasts are very, very small minority. Reason why there’s no new MR-2 or new RX-7 is because most car enthusiasts get their cars in the second-hand market, with people aged 30-50 actually buying new (and I believe the Supra is a hard sell for dealers atm). In other words, you not gonna see that huge car nut in high school getting a brand new Supra in senior years, he’s gonna grab a Mk. lll for three grand.

This Aston is not made for enthusiasts whatsoever. It’s made for Bentayga customers to sell high and with volume. The only reason this car has ANY performance is just justify it being an Aston.

Holy... This was literally me in high school $3500 Mk. III Supra lmao

SUV's everywhere. Seriously, I think Ferrari is the only one left to join the SUV game. They will come up with something completely indistinguishable from other high-end Turbo V8 SUV's.

And yet, here I am still waiting for that Jeep sport sedan...

SUV's everywhere. Seriously, I think Ferrari is the only one left to join the SUV game. They will come up with something completely indistinguishable from other high-end Turbo V8 SUV's.

And yet, here I am still waiting for that Jeep sport sedan...

Meanwhile, I think a Pagani wagon would be the greatest thing ever.

It’s not necessarily as black and white as that, it’s more so they’re not made with us in mind. More so the masses than a niche like a sports car.

Personally I'm fine with Aston building an SUV, I just wish the design language didn't look so much like a Photoshop Ctrl+T job on their existing cars.

But this is how all non-SUV brands make their SUVs. Just take an existing car, use a 'blow up' plugin in Photoshop and you're done.
This 'thing' Aston Martin made is in my opinion an insult to the brand. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of bad mock up to be honest.

Seems like a good fit for Aston to make an SUV honestly. Aston's have rarely prioritized outright performance over all attributes - I see them as well rounded, comfortable touring machines with competent dynamics, sharp looks and big, characterful engines. My problem with the DBX is that it doesn't look good. The only SUV that I think has pulled off the "car, but taller" look so far is the Porsche Macan. The rest look sort of neither here nor there, and the DBX I feel is the same. I think they should have given it a bit more of a unique identity.

Seems like a good fit for Aston to make an SUV honestly. Aston's have rarely prioritized outright performance over all attributes - I see them as well rounded, comfortable touring machines with competent dynamics, sharp looks and big, characterful engines. My problem with the DBX is that it doesn't look good. The only SUV that I think has pulled off the "car, but taller" look so far is the Porsche Macan. The rest look sort of neither here nor there, and the DBX I feel is the same. I think they should have given it a bit more of a unique identity.

Totally agree - in fact I've always considered an Aston is for people who still want a good dose of class and want something a little sportier than a Bentley, but not an outright sports car.

Honestly this SUV from Aston Martin is about as classy as a Ford EcoSport SUV. In fact paint them same colour and put them side by side in a car park, and you'd almost have to look at the badges to tell them apart, except the EcoSport looks nicer.

Honestly this SUV from Aston Martin is about as classy as a Ford EcoSport SUV. In fact paint them same colour and put them side by side in a car park, and you'd almost have to look at the badges to tell them apart, except the EcoSport looks nicer.

What, this?

ford_ecosport2018_blue.png

The proportions on this are awful. It manages to look like it's about to tip over while standing still. The Aston at least looks more in the shape of the Macan/Cayenne.

I genuinely wonder if the people that bemoan all the performance SUVs over "pure" sports cars are out there buying the latter. New, from the dealers. I'm guessing not. It's great to have these high-minded ideals on what a performance vehicle should be, but the companies are simply going where the money is. Much like video games, if you like something, vote with your wallet.

In the past month I've spent a week with a RAV4 Hybrid and a weekend with an Alfa Romeo Stelvio. The RAV4 isn't a performance vehicle, but I understand why it's so popular: it does everything pretty well, and a passing grade in many things is more appealing to the average car buyer than a specialized object that excels at only a handful of things. The Stelvio was more performance-oriented — even in non-QF form it's faster than most really need — but even with that, I get it. I mean, if it were my money I'd rather get a wagon version of the Giulia, if Alfa would build it, but it felt close enough to a regular car with the added functionality of the crossover shape that it's little wonder it's the most popular model at the dealership.

Meh

That's just lazy design. Lazy or sloppy. I see some modern Aston bits, but they don't seem to fit together well.

I haven't been following along too intently; has the DBX been shown at all without any sort of camouflage?

Edit: Beyond the number of wheels and their broadly similar round shape, I fail to see any meaningful similarities between the DBX and the Ford EcoSport. Frankly, the notion that the two are similar comes off a bit like "I don't like this really ugly SUV, so this other SUV that I don't like looks similar."

Back