Aussie Tuners...Shiny new Garage, Shiny new Management

• Thread starter Renoff
  • 581 comments
OK, I'l hopefully review the Buick sometime soon, or maybe that GTO :) if I can tear myself away from GT5:P (or if I finish it! ;p). Oh, and I think I have chosen the car I would like to be tuned for my review of the Walkinshaw SS. I would like to have an upper hand in the all MX-5endurance race (at Laguna Seca I think), so if possible could AT whip me up an appropriate MX-5?

OK, I'l hopefully review the Buick sometime soon, if I can tear myself away from GT5:P (or if I finish it! ;p). Oh, and I think I have chosen the car I would like to be tuned for my review of the Walkinshaw SS. I would like to have an upper hand in the all MX-5endurance race (at Laguna Seca I think), so if possible could AT whip me up an appropriate MX-5?

That would be awesome if you do review the Buick, and I know what you mean about GT5P, I'm waiting on the stupid update right now.
Any specific requests on the MX-5, i.e. tyres, power level etc.? Otherwise sure, we can make a nice MX-5 endurance spec for you. I can imagine the emphasis should be on ease of use and a humble tune to make endurance driving easy. 👍

MX-5 Enduro is at Tsukuba.

Supercharged 1989 model on S1s with a mild redo of the suspension settings works well for BSB to drive, but would be overkill for someone A-speccing it.

I'll probably do the newest model, so he doesn't have to wait on a second hand one (even though they are practically there 24/7). This should be interesting.

That GTO just looks dam' fine! (*Hint*)

Why thankyou, it does look pretty fine doesn't it. :sly: Be careful though, ghosts have been known to haunt other driver's dreams after having been beaten by them. Do you really want to unleash this ghost on them? Of course you do! :D

Edit: What do people think of the names we give our cars? Cool or try-hard?

Edit: What do people think of the names we give our cars? Cool or try-hard?

Cool. :cool:

Naming cars gives them a bit of personality I think. :D As long as your not naming them something silly like "THE ALMIGHTY LORD OF CITROEN". :lol:

"THE ALMIGHTY LORD OF CITROEN". :lol:

I'ma build that. Xsara road car most likely.

Ghost review on the way.

Addit:

Ghost GTO Review

When nd 4 holden spd got stuck in the UK with me and Roj, he also had this GTO with him. I asked to take it for a run, and of course he agreed. I had the Grand Valley officials open up the East course, as I find it a bit easier to run around, and a bit more fun, compared to GVS Full.

First comment I made to N4HS: It's a bit quiet. And indeed it is, even up at about 5000rpm it still can have a normal conversation held directly next to it. Also, when in the car, the engine noise and exhaust is barely audible over the straight-cut gearbox which, along with the stripped interior, makes it every bit as loud inside as many a purebred race vehicle.

Took it around at about freeway speed, until the penultimate corner where I simply jumped on it on exit (having needed to slow up slightly to 65mph or so to clear it), ran through the final corner, ripped through the gears, ultimately hitting 150mph, at which point the mild left-hand sweeper had been cleared at WOT and braking was needed. Nailed the brakes fairly early, and it's a good thing I did. The car does slow itself back down quite well, however it's very slow stopping next to most. Got it down into second, floated it in (finding it didn't want to turn off-throttle or under brakes), nailed the throttle (where on replay review smoke was seen from the rears as well as the inside front), clicked on and off twice to keep the wheelspin in check a bit, countersteered slightly, and headed for the high-speed section. Flat out up the gentle right-hander, hard on the brakes just before cresting the hill, down to fourth, find understeer at 100 in the second left, tap the brakes, coast a little, get back on the throttle, then drop down into the low-mid speed right-hander and strangely made it through in third at about the same speed needed for the "high speed" downhiller. Nail the brakes again for the next, tighter, righthander, dropping to second and about 60mph, jumping on the throttle ASAP, countersteering when the wheelspin bites in, then braking for the left into the tunnel. Flat out through the right-hander through the tunnel, dropping to second for the immediate left and to about 60, find understeer, dirt drop it, get back on the track, down to second at 65mph with the fronts howling in agony for the next right, where I got on the throttle as soon as I could, running up to the final corner flat-out. Laptime: 1:13.751.

Issues:
Understeer
Strange brake balance may be hurting it when slowing down
Unpredictable wheelspin at times, likes to keep going sideways (initial torque may be too low)

Goods:
Goes decent, gearing's 'bout perfect for here.

MX-5 Enduro is at Tsukuba.

:banghead::ouch: Thanks for clearing that up... :embarrassed: I thought it was at Laguna Seca, what with all the Mazda sponsoring signs and all... Oh well.

Buick GNX review still coming... :P

I'ma build that. Xsara road car most likely.

Ghost review on the way.

Addit:

Ghost GTO Review

When nd 4 holden spd got stuck in the UK with me and Roj, he also had this GTO with him. I asked to take it for a run, and of course he agreed. I had the Grand Valley officials open up the East course, as I find it a bit easier to run around, and a bit more fun, compared to GVS Full.

First comment I made to N4HS: It's a bit quiet. And indeed it is, even up at about 5000rpm it still can have a normal conversation held directly next to it. Also, when in the car, the engine noise and exhaust is barely audible over the straight-cut gearbox which, along with the stripped interior, makes it every bit as loud inside as many a purebred race vehicle.

Took it around at about freeway speed, until the penultimate corner where I simply jumped on it on exit (having needed to slow up slightly to 65mph or so to clear it), ran through the final corner, ripped through the gears, ultimately hitting 150mph, at which point the mild left-hand sweeper had been cleared at WOT and braking was needed. Nailed the brakes fairly early, and it's a good thing I did. The car does slow itself back down quite well, however it's very slow stopping next to most. Got it down into second, floated it in (finding it didn't want to turn off-throttle or under brakes), nailed the throttle (where on replay review smoke was seen from the rears as well as the inside front), clicked on and off twice to keep the wheelspin in check a bit, countersteered slightly, and headed for the high-speed section. Flat out up the gentle right-hander, hard on the brakes just before cresting the hill, down to fourth, find understeer at 100 in the second left, tap the brakes, coast a little, get back on the throttle, then drop down into the low-mid speed right-hander and strangely made it through in third at about the same speed needed for the "high speed" downhiller. Nail the brakes again for the next, tighter, righthander, dropping to second and about 60mph, jumping on the throttle ASAP, countersteering when the wheelspin bites in, then braking for the left into the tunnel. Flat out through the right-hander through the tunnel, dropping to second for the immediate left and to about 60, find understeer, dirt drop it, get back on the track, down to second at 65mph with the fronts howling in agony for the next right, where I got on the throttle as soon as I could, running up to the final corner flat-out. Laptime: 1:13.751.

Issues:
Understeer
Strange brake balance may be hurting it when slowing down
Unpredictable wheelspin at times, likes to keep going sideways (initial torque may be too low)

Goods:
Goes decent, gearing's 'bout perfect for here.

Muscle car is as muscle car does. ;) Thanks for the review. The brake balance is just to help turn-in as much as possible, which suffers a lot in this car at weaker settings. The understeer and wheelspin/oversteer can both be attributed tp the great big stonking V8 up front, I tried to find the balance and I'd like to believe this car is at its peak performance right now. The trick with muscle cars is to keep up as much momentum as possible. I brought it to the UK to scare some locals, and obviously I needed something to drive to the track in to test yours and Roj's cars, might as well go in style. :D

BUICK GNX REVIEW

For some reason, there is something about this car that I like the look of. Maybe its the 80's gangster "outta my way" look, or the odd boxy shape. I never got around to buying this car for some reason, until AT offered this nice package :) I must admit, I did manage to get a lot slower laptime at GVS (9 seconds slower!) but that was probably my 3rd or so drive on that track, ever!

Anyway, this car met and exceeded my expectations, being the big, heavy, muscle-bound car that it is. Nice strong power over steering and power slides on the exits of corners when I put my foot down (I'm a bit of a leadfoot sometimes :P), but can be controlled with appropriate throttle control. This car accelerates strongly and steadily, right up until jamming on the brakes for the next corner, which is almost always met with not too much understeer or oversteer, and any mistakes made by me were easily corrected without much hassle (a trait in a car I like :)). Steering is quite sensitive, especially at high speed, so precision here is required.

Overall, this is another fine example of AT's engineering, and a car I will no doubt be trying to find a use for in completing GT4, as I move up to GT5:P (although I'm doubtful that will happen, as I still havent quite finished GT3... :embarrassed:)

Rating: 9 out of 10 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

ps. Also, I like the look of that FireSpitter, I might try that out a little later on... :)

Thanks for the review AyJay, I'm glad you liked my award winning GNX. 👍 Don't feel bad about the GVS times, it's my proving ground and has been my favourite track for some 8-10yrs (whenever GT1 came out). You'll love the Fire Spitter's handling, it's spot on. And I will make that MX-5 this weekend, maybe Sunday night 👍

Is anyone able to review your cars?

I'd like to try out the '64 Goat, maybe I can help you with it.

Is anyone able to review your cars?

I'd like to try out the '64 Goat, maybe I can help you with it.

Ooh, please do 👍 That'd be great, and yes, anyone at all can review our cars. That's why we're here, to help people by giving them good tunes.:)

Sweet, I'd love to try it. I've been building up my own '64 Goat (quite different from yours) and I'd like to see how it stacks up to yours.

I've been down in the city of Chicago all day, away from the ps2. I'll test it and review it tommorow.

Ghost GTO Review:

First off, thanks for giving me an excuse to put another classic GTO in my garage. 👍

I built the car according to your spec sheet and took it to Grand Valley. I don't use this track much, I do most of my tuning at Midfield, Trial Mountain or Deep Forest, so I'd have to learn the track as well as the car.

This cars acceleration impressed me, for a heavy car with under 400hp. Gearing seems perfect for this track. The extreme rear brake bias took some getting used to but once I did it wasn't a problem. Corner entry was pretty good but mild understeer was felt in the middle of the turns, especially the low speed turns. Luckily there is more than enough power so that I could give a quick tap on the gas to break the rear tires loose and swing the back end around, pointing the car in the right direction. On high speed corners (80+ mph) the understeer can be countered by a tap on the brakes to set the nose and make the front end grip. My first hot lap in this car was a 1:13.877, but less than 10 laps later I was running consistent 1:10.xxx's with this beast.

Pro's: Nice gearing, Good power.

Con's: Brakes, probably due to the rear bias. Mild understeer in the middle of turns.

Score: 9/10

Thanks for the review Adamgp. 👍 I do like as much turn in as I can get without making the rear slide, just driving style differences. I'm glad I found another muscle car a home :sly: I've tried my best to make it handle good, but I never expected perfection from a muscle car, so your criticism is well placed 👍 Again, thanks. If you have a request car to be tuned..........

Notice: All request cars from me will be put on hold for almost a week, as I don't have access to my PS2 at the moment, so I'm sorry for any delays. My brother got a hire game out and plays it a lot, and stowed the PS2 in his room, not to be removed until the hire game is gone.

I'm not criticizing the car at all. In fact, I prefer some mild understeer instead of fighting to keep the back end in line in every turn. I strongly believe the understeer can be minimized by some further suspension tuning, but it's your setup so I'll leave that up to you.

I could eliminate the understeer, but trust me when I say it will make much more power ovesteer. I aimed for balance of the 2.

I believe you. I had a tough time finding a balance on mine.

Last night I tuned my GTO to similiar power levels, gave it your gearing but kept my suspension setup. I ran a few laps at Grand Valley to see how it compared and it ran virtually identical lap times as yours. I guess I must've done something right. 👍 Both drive completely different however.

There's always a few different ways to tuning a car for good results I find, I'm glad you found another 👍 Oh geez, look at the time, I think I'm due for a new car release when I get my PS2 back, and this one will be a real speed demon from Detroit :mischievous: Well, petty fast anyway :sly:

what's a good car to test around here:) ? that corba R looks fun I will test some of your guys car in acouple of days.👍

The Cobra R is an absolute weapon ;) (I assume you mean the race spec Mustang). Just about any car is a good one in these parts of town.:sly: Take your pick.

Nice, it's been a while since someone drove that car. Watch out for the spider webs that have accumulated :sly:

Latest Posts

Back