Automobilista 2 - Discussion Thread

Germany
Germany
20200401085751_1.jpg

Since i dont see any thread for it, lets start with this.
Game Link

Its currently in Early Access, so its 40% off as i type this.
lets have a talk about it here from now on :)

First impression was: wtf , I can't drive this thing????? The car drives bad, very very b..... OH NO, no, no, no!!!! I forgot about my tyres. They are cold as the Arctic!!!

Just do 2 laps carefully and then.... OMG!!!! Incredible feeling of driving a race car!!! Fantastic!
Only drove the Super v8 and the Lancer, no time for more and I'm really excited.

Really happy, and those graphics,,,

i just hope that skins can be changed in the future, cause i hate nothing more than bad looking fake skins.

I'm pretty sure they will.
Btw there is no opition to start with warm tyres, something like tyre blankets in Assetto, right?

Ermmmm......wow.

Straight out of the box, i have a massive smile on my face.
Few tweeks to FFB gain and i am feeling the AM1 touch.
No changes to graphics settings, yet on the track i tried, good performance, noticed already that overcast looks the best.
Will fiddle with graphics another time..

I have done 29 mins according to steam and already i know this game is everything PCars2 should of been..

It is sort of a feeling of "man SMS must be embarrassed" then going to "but they have proved that at its core the engine is great....just he team around it or management was crap"

SMS sort of proved a point thats double edged.
Yes, a nice looking eye candy game can be a sim.....
But only if the team developing it are good at sims...

Trust me AC is going nowhere as it is simply the best sandbox motorsport game available with a glut of things to do.....

But AM2 feels bloody great.

Ermmmm......wow.

Straight out of the box, i have a massive smile on my face.
Few tweeks to FFB gain and i am feeling the AM1 touch.
No changes to graphics settings, yet on the track i tried, good performance, noticed already that overcast looks the best.
Will fiddle with graphics another time..

I have done 29 mins according to steam and already i know this game is everything PCars2 should of been..

It is sort of a feeling of "man SMS must be embarrassed" then going to "but they have proved that at its core the engine is great....just he team around it or management was crap"

SMS sort of proved a point thats double edged.
Yes, a nice looking eye candy game can be a sim.....
But only if the team developing it are good at sims...

Trust me AC is going nowhere as it is simply the best sandbox motorsport game available with a glut of things to do.....

But AM2 feels bloody great.
yes, and its in early access and good dlc is on the way already. everything is looking good

yes, and its in early access and good dlc is on the way already. everything is looking good

Uff Imagine GT3 and GT4 made in Reiza. To me Reiza are the kings, nothing compares to his physics, sounds, handling, feel of driving, anything.

Assetto has his place as a ultra massive (almost infinite) in content and very good physics and FFB simulation.

Odd won’t let me select championship?

Sim is quite good from my early impression having only 2 hours played.

Uff Imagine GT3 and GT4 made in Reiza. To me Reiza are the kings, nothing compares to his physics, sounds, handling, feel of driving, anything.

Assetto has his place as a ultra massive (almost infinite) in content and very good physics and FFB simulation.
since its gonna be supported for a long time, i hope we get some LMPs down the road.

some nice screenshots
20200401114021_1.jpg

20200401091844_1.jpg

Odd won’t let me select championship?

Sim is quite good from my early impression having only 2 hours played.
its still in early access, expect it in the coming weeks. there is also no photo mode, which is 100 percent coming im sure

How's the audio, especially in replays? pCARS 2 sounds horrible.
Yep PC2 sounds especially from track side are horrible. Though not the best, I think AMS2 sounds has significant improvement from PC2. Why don't you try it? It is cheap and you still can refund when you don't like it

It worries me that I am experiencing the same glitch that I’ve had throughout the whole 2.5 year lifespan of PCars 2 (if you lose a wheel and then restart the race your wheels are still gone). IMO this game feels like Project Cars 2 with different content. It’s a fun game but I think it could have been better.

Edit: Also who decided to keep the 4 class limit from Project CARS 2. I just want to have a race with loads of random cars like in AMS 1.

I'm very much enjoying AMS2 at this stage, but if I can have my complaints they will be:
1. Low detailed cars and track side objects. It doesn't have to be at PC2 level, but at the moment it seems 3D models came directly from AMS1.
2. Reiza billboards everywhere I think they will give me a bad dream tonight.
3. I will still takes a long time before some mod team ported PC2 cars to AMS2 :D
4. Drivers seems don't have a neck :P

Last edited:
Ok - my two cents to this conversation. Just bought the early access today. To get perspective, Im using Thrustmaster T-GT (basically a buffed t500rs on pc), so this might not apply to you with DD wheels, and I come from strong GT Sport background. That said i've also been playing some other stuff lately - most important here propably Dirt rally 2 and iRacing. For fellow GTS t-gt players - 80% of the time in GTS my t-gt is on "other", as i dont care much of the extra rumble.

So - my thoughts on AM2. First of all the irrelevant stuff to me. Yes the car models or textures are very basic at this point and same goes with trackside detail. There is lighting, effects and plenty of detail inside the cars, so i assume these simplified cars and tracksides are not final. Also some car specs seem to be still off, as 400hp 1200kg rwd car loses momentum well below 150kph uphill on 4th gear. Feels more like 130hp. But thats propably just work in progress.

Sounds seem to receive positive feedback, and the sound design is tecnically well done. Im just missing that certain raw low growl through out the whole sound spectrum. Sound seem like they have lost dynamics at some point of mix/pack.

Then the main piece - how does it drive (with t-gt)? Well there is a lot of good. The actual physics - weight changes, grip and the weight of the vehicles seem very nice. You feel very clearly the side-to-side weight changes. Cars seem to have pretty natural amout of grip and one can push the limits quite well. This to me means i was very quickly able to drive intuitively - catch slides and find the amount of grip each car has and figure out braking distances and entry speeds.

That said - the snappy pulling on the wheel as the cars weight shifts from side to side, big bumbs on and off track and buzzing curbs are pretty much all I feel. There were some moments where I thought I felt very slightly the steering get heavy under braking and some car/ffb setting combos gave me jumping/shaking tire -feel on grip loss especially downhill like T1 of Brandshatch. But how ever I mixed the FFB setting, I couldnt find ANY feel for the tire. Like if you accelerate through a turn there is no change what so ever on ffb no matter if you have grip or you loose the grip until you catch a slide and cars weight shifts and ffb comes alive. No weight nor lightness. No shake. Anything you feel at any point feels like interpretion of vertical forces of suspension - nothing from tire. Nothing from contact/grip to road nor any kind of woble from tire flexing.

Im very divided on my opinion at the moment. I like AM2 as a early beta, but theres still a massive amount of work to do before it feels like a whole consistent experience. I have given it 96 minutes, and it still has a change to prove me it can become a polished experience in the future, before Im faced with the to or not to refund decision. Propably my optimistic side wants to believe AM2 can reach its potential and Ill take the 27€ gamble on it.

Ps. Performance so far so good. Im nowhere near the i7/gtx1080ti they suggest, and game runs smooth on rain with 1440p 144hz ultra settings. Im using R5 3600, 16Gb and gtx1660ti.

Last edited:
Price seems expensive for an early access game... IIRC Automobilista actually had a discount the earlier you bought it. This one, they came in full guns blazing on day 1 with season pass (costing 3x the base game :crazy:) while still in EA? :odd: Also why is Hockenheim resold as DLC despite already being in the previous game? I love Reiza but please do not stoop as low as Codemasters. I think I'll hold off for a while. It just seems like AMS1 with better graphics to me.

Also, @Famine front page news worthy?

I just throw my thoughts/tests on AMS2 here as it doesnt have a forum of its own yet.

Thrustmaster T-GT here - basically T500rs with more torque.

Last night I started to mess around the custom ffb file as I couldnt find my liking from the default. I couldnt get braking/understeering feel intuitive enough and also found the engine fx and texture fx overpowering other fx. Ended up turning down engine/tx multiplier and up many of the scruf values or what ever they were called - the forces descriped as more from tire grip than suspension. Then I made a revelation (for my goals). I figured I try and reverse the scruf forces. As they are in default, they give you a great feel of weight by centering / making the wheel heavier under braking. When I made gain negative, it seems braking and weight is pulling wheel out - to the direction of the momentum/g-force. Now I feel like im actually battling the g-forces to keep the car in racing line.

Now I have to make few points here. This might not be realistic - I couldnt quite make up my mind how this should be in real life - very inimmersive for a game propably, and Im not sure Im not making up things as it was 3am. :lol: And as always - Im aiming for intuitive driving and immersion - not realistic steering forces.

About AMS2 ffb in general. As they say from developer, it seems to be fairly simple and based on suspension links and steering column forces rather than grip/friction/tire. Due to this theres also a lot of forces combined in to each setting and the custom ffb file looks to have maybe just 1/3 of adjustable values compared to that of Pcars 2.

Just few our of testing behind so forgive me all the front wheel locking and missed apexes..:lol:

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-5_12-24-59.gif
    upload_2020-4-5_12-24-59.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 26
Last edited:
replying to last post.

That video looks great and the audio is great also. Pretty sure that I am headed down the PC path before the year is over.

Fairly large update dropped last night, moving closer to 1.0.

The most notable improvement is with the AI, the aggression slider makes a big difference.
Set to 50 or below they are smooth and give room.
Set around 70 they give a good fight, produce realistic race conditions.
Set to 100 they are maniac and it’s a lot of fun watching them wreck each other.

FFB feels a bit better, a few track variations were added, and VR is still extremely good.

I did have to delete my doc folder and recalibrate my wheel, I’ve not had the dual pedal calibration issue others are reporting.

I'm digging it so far.

Latest update makes the AI somewhat useable now as it was a bit hit and miss before, especially in open wheelers. Though I've noticed that they still try to defend the inside in practice and qualifying, and will swerve back to the racing line at the last minute, usually side swiping whoevers (me, generally >_>) there.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing a lot of this and I’m really impressed with it. I think this has the potential to overtake Assetto Corsa for me as a favorite sim.

I’m especially impressed with the FFB, driving physics, and the unusual track selections.

The unlicensed cars are a bit of a downer, but I expect the modding community can fix that, as well as add the obvious tracks in that Reiza weren’t able to license

I’ve been playing a lot of this and I’m really impressed with it. I think this has the potential to overtake Assetto Corsa for me as a favorite sim.

I’m especially impressed with the FFB, driving physics, and the unusual track selections.

The unlicensed cars are a bit of a downer, but I expect the modding community can fix that, as well as add the obvious tracks in that Reiza weren’t able to license

Yes and I hope we can get mods eventually and/or PC2 cars and tracks converted to AMS2... Only with this last thing would mean a huge selection of cars and tracks.

there will be 2 years of DLC, with Classic DTM, GT3 and 4 plus modern Touring Cars coming, plus Bathurst and Hockenheim all coming till June

Reiza have said it will have basically the same moddability as PCars2. So basically none due to the engine. Though they're not against it if people figure out a way of getting stuff to work for it and aren't actively blocking mods.

Back