B-Spec in 1.16 Update!

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 584 comments
It seems to me that Bob has turned into a remote controlled robot instead of a racing-retard. What's worse, they are implying that they didn't bother fixing the AI:

"Previous versions of B-Spec might make one say “Why did you back off there?” or “Get in the slipstream!”, there were a number of behaviours in the AI driver that were highly irritating to the player. In Gran Turismo 6 B-Spec, the number of instructions and pace selection options have increased, and it's possible to alter how the AI driver behaves. Overtaking, slipstreaming, changing lanes, as well as acceleration and braking can all be controlled in real time."

Now we can only blame ourselves for B-Spec mishaps.

I had actually hoped for less control than in GT5. Managing drivers and their progress was cool but it wasn't fun nursing them during the heat of the battle. At least it's not a separate mode this time but this doesn't sound like what I was waiting for.

Theres people that cant beat the RB events. I know a few who haven't done them to gold yet. This seems like its an addition to the game as well as a feature for attracting new players.

It's true, and it's nice for those people. They'll enjoy it, and that's great.

But when the game is already accepted as being pretty forgiving to lesser skilled players when all the available assists are used, I get a bit wary when one of the stated advantages of a new feature in what is a pretty short press release is that it makes the game even easier.

It's not that it isn't true, or that it isn't useful for some people. It's that if that's one of the best features that they can think of to write about B-Spec then it's either unlikely to be terribly exciting, or that was actually a design goal for them. Neither of which are good news for those of us that don't find the majority of GT6 to be difficult.

Like I said, maybe there's a majority of people who find GT6 to be pretty tough and would welcome something like this. I sort of doubt it though.

It's kind of a useless feature for the people who already have 100% complete, I was hoping for something like GT4 with actual endurance races where we can drive a few minutes, hours and let bob take over. Either way it would be nice if we do get more endurance's and everything.

I find it interesting that the articles on the official GT sites that had something about "Longer Endurances" were removed and that they aren't mentioned at all on the blog post.

It's true, and it's nice for those people. They'll enjoy it, and that's great.

But when the game is already accepted as being pretty forgiving to lesser skilled players when all the available assists are used, I get a bit wary when one of the stated advantages of a new feature in what is a pretty short press release is that it makes the game even easier.

It's not that it isn't true, or that it isn't useful for some people. It's that if that's one of the best features that they can think of to write about B-Spec then it's either unlikely to be terribly exciting, or that was actually a design goal for them. Neither of which are good news for those of us that don't find the majority of GT6 to be difficult.

Like I said, maybe there's a majority of people who find GT6 to be pretty tough and would welcome something like this. I sort of doubt it though.
There's the slim possibility that we're not being targeted because we're expected to be able figure it out for ourselves, to a degree.

We know why we might be interested in B-Spec and, given the technical details only, we can infer the rest. To someone who has no interest in the technical details, or no real basis to extrapolate any of it, the basic description "it makes it easier", in language specifically designed to soothe and tip-toe around the issue, rather than legitimise any kind of sense of superiority for the supposed "hardcore", tells them what they need to hear to investigate further.

Regardless, everyone needs to see it in action to understand how it actually works.

I think an expanded "arcade" mode is preferable to extra "career" events, depending on how far it could be taken. Was there mention of a facility to make your own events in the recent past, or was it just the echoes of GT2's "event synthesiser"?

Absolutely useless feature.

NO new events.

NO real endurance events.

WHAT is the point?

headbashwall.gif

I find it interesting that the articles on the official GT sites that had something about "Longer Endurances" were removed and that they aren't mentioned at all on the blog post.

Interesting, disgusting, heartbreaking, any number of words are suitable

Last edited:
Slipstreaming? Wait what, the AI is capable of that? Maybe we'll see some upgrades to the AI..
If so, keep your brains peeled for other technologies appearing...

On the other hand, it could be implemented fairly easily using parts of the existing "avoidance" routines, much as the lane changing could use the existing "overtaking" routines. Seeing it in action should distinguish which is true.

Obviously have to wait for more specific details to come out, but if this is going in the direction that it seems it is based off the current information with B-Spec this would seem PD has been working all this time with no overall goal how everything was to come together, but just working on individual problems as they arise, thus leaving us in the end with a hodge podge of things in the end.

I'm still optimistic that there's more to this.

For a non-Engrish translation:

In the forthcoming update “Ver. 1.16” the new feature B-Spec will be introduced. Previous versions of B-Spec might make one say “Why did you back off there?” or “Get in the slipstream!”, there were a number of behaviours in the AI driver that were highly irritating to the player. In Gran Turismo 6 B-Spec, the number of instructions and pace selection options have increased, and it's possible to alter how the AI driver behaves. Overtaking, slipstreaming, changing lanes, as well as acceleration and braking can all be controlled in real time.

Unlike the Gran Turismo 5 version of B-Spec the style is not that of employing a driver, instead you will feel that you are supporting the AI driver's race. How about gathering any stars that you might have missed? The prizes, lap counts, and tyre regulations are all identical to A-Spec.

It's also ideal for the extremely difficult Red Bull X Challenges. And it will allow beginners to attempt some of the other difficult events in the game.

Of course, if you are too aggressive with the accelerator, the AI driver will spin or run off the course. A certain delicacy is required, not unlike driving a radio controlled car from a bird's eye perspective.

Unlike A-Spec, one can play as if one were a spotter in a NASCAR race, and so it's easy to comprehend the situation going on around the car. And to get that final edge to win in a close battle, it's good to try playing from an internal perspective.

I hope you'll look forward to the update!

Translated by me.

@Imari, thank you for this translation which makes a whole lot of sense!

In GT5 B-Spec, which I really enjoyed, I longed for the ability to provide a wider range of guidances to my Bobs, for a more engaging experience. This implementation sounds really good, combining GT5's "pit manager" role with "hands on" direction where the player almost becomes the driver. Well, not "almost", maybe, but provides a more exciting range of influences on the Bob's behavior.

Those who merely regarded B-Spec as "automated money grinding" and are unwilling or unable to experience a more strategic gameplay may be disappointed. It doesn't provide the ability to speed up the grinding. It's not able to speed up the race to a multiple of real time speed. Thankfully!

I'm thrilled with this new expanded direction and foresee some exciting racing, in a richer format than GT5's.

This is a far better planned B-Spec this time around!

In the forthcoming update “Ver. 1.16” the new feature B-Spec will be introduced. Previous versions of B-Spec might make one say “Why did you back off there?” or “Get in the slipstream!”, there were a number of behaviours in the AI driver that were highly irritating to the player. In Gran Turismo 6 B-Spec, the number of instructions and pace selection options have increased, and it's possible to alter how the AI driver behaves. Overtaking, slipstreaming, changing lanes, as well as acceleration and braking can all be controlled in real time.

Of course, if you are too aggressive with the accelerator, the AI driver will spin or run off the course. A certain delicacy is required, not unlike driving a radio controlled car from a bird's eye perspective.

Disappointing. I really looking forward B-Spec, but this is so strange. I was waiting for career, drivers or team "management", not this. accelerate or brake, change lanes, overtake, is what you are supposed to do when you are the driver. In B-Spec, you're not supposed to be the driver but the team.

So your job is to encourage, inform, warn, give strategy advice, develop your team, recruit... And the job of the driver (A-spec) is to drive, overtake, fight and win.

I have the feeling they took it in the very wrong way. :(

Disappointing. I really looking forward B-Spec, but this is so strange. I was waiting for career, drivers or team "management", not this. accelerate or brake, change lanes, overtake, is what you are supposed to do when you are the driver. In B-Spec, you're not supposed to be the driver but the team.

So your job is to encourage, inform, warn, give strategy advice, develop your team, recruit... And the job of the driver (A-spec) is to drive, overtake, fight and win.

I have the feeling they took it in the very wrong way. :(
You didn't play B spec in GT5 or GT4 than... It's basically same just with some improvements.

You didn't play B spec in GT5 or GT4 than... It's basically same just with some improvements.
but there are those of us who can see the potential for B-spec and how it can be so much more than a driving instructor ride along, which is what this new take on it seems to be, or a grinder which is what so many seem to think that is all it is good for. I certainly don't see big improvements over GT4 or 5 so far.

I'd like to give bob a target lap time for his stint and depending on his skill level see if he can get close to it every lap. You know, like a team manager does in real life endurance racing.

I'd like to be able to have a team of drivers that I can develop and improve over time, like in GT5 and real life Nismo Athletes.

I'd like to be able to swap drivers during pit stops, like in GT4 and real life endurance racing.

The potential for B-spec is basically to be Bob Neville of RJN and get to the Dubai 24hr/Bathurst 12hr/Le Mans and finish on the podium.

Without AI improvements and endurance races its a non-event for me and another missed opportunity for GT6.

On the other hand, the actual feature may turn out to be better than what we've been shown so far.

Finally, I've been waiting for B-Spec since day 1. I think I may be an exception here but I adored GT5 B-spec, I can only get my GT on with my wheel and with the way my PS3 is setup, it's a pain to setup so I use B-spec to grind credits and use cars I might not use usually. So, now I can get the maximum out of GT6 when I'm unable to use my wheel.

GT6, will be the only game on PlayStation to easily obtain a platinum trophy without any effort... Platinum trophy for everybody. Even easier now with B-spec. This all depends how PD introduces B-spec in to career mode.

Welcome to the new definition lazy, folks! :lol:

I can see GT8 now.

~Starting movie rolls~

Press start to complete game.

Congratulations!

~Ending credits roll~

You have earned a trophy: Gran Turismo 8 Platinum Trophy.

Completionist's heaven.

This post is satire and is in no way intended to reflect the true nature of GT8. Any resemblance to past, present or future games is purely coincidental. Anyone taking this seriously will be mocked mercilessly. ;)

I really did not much care for B-Spec in GT5. I did complete it but can't say I enjoyed it. It was a good place to use the X1 though. I would normally set Bob up with the X1 in that dream car race and then watch tv while he earned me some credits.

I liked it better in GT4 especially combined with being able to reset the events and win the prize car over again. I sold quite a few of those Minoltas along the way. I think my PS2 was running 24/7 for a few months once I unlocked the longer races. When I wasn't driving Bob was.

Just a few points:

1. Everyone seems to be referring to the current longest race in A-spec which is 24 minutes, and comparing this to 24 hours. Most of the endurance events in previous GTs have been 2 hours, 4 hours, 200 laps etc. 24 hours was the very longest event.

2. Everyone seems to be assuming there won't be new endurance events introduced, when this would be relatively easy for PD to do at the same time and just may not have been announced. Or they may bring them in as seasonals.

3. Not everyone but maaany people are bitching about this update. It's a free update, we still don't know fully what it will include, and if you don't like it or care for B-spec generally, nobody is twisting your arm to use it. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be included for the many who do like it.

Just a few points:

1. Everyone seems to be referring to the current longest race in A-spec which is 24 minutes, and comparing this to 24 hours. Most of the endurance events in previous GTs have been 2 hours, 4 hours, 200 laps etc. 24 hours was the very longest event.

2. Everyone seems to be assuming there won't be new endurance events introduced, when this would be relatively easy for PD to do at the same time and just may not have been announced. Or they may bring them in as seasonals.

As RACECAR said:

3. Not everyone but maaany people are bitching about this update. It's a free update, we still don't know fully what it will include, and if you don't like it or care for B-spec generally, nobody is twisting your arm to use it. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be included for the many who do like it.

Many people, myself included, had been waiting for the implementation of a B-Spec system at least as good as GT5's. With the ability to seemingly assume control of the B-Spec driven car and the removal of a B-Spec racing team to manage, this seems to be a considerably simplified and scaled back B-Spec mode. Excuse some of us that were enthusiastic about this update for expressing their disappointment.

Back