Bang For Your Buck Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter nyg_shockey
  • 100 comments
  • 5,271 views
I'd say the Ford GT is an excellent buy for approx. 150,000 Cr. You can use it in so many races, it's really easy to drive even without TCS or ASM (since it doesn't come with those from the factory), and can be tuned to beat almost anything.

Another bang for your buck could be the Corvette Grand Sport from the Used Car Showroom II. I beat Vipers, Skylines, RX7's, Specials, even a JGTC in it with some tuning. Very good pickup if you get it.

One more is the Black Cars. Cheap race cars (compared to the normal versions) that only need a chassis refresh and an oil change an can be good as their normally painted counterparts.
 
Leonidae
not even close. but I have more than enough of Skyline GT-R's. 30+ I believe.:O they really give bang for the buck in all-round performance, as they turn well ( under 0'50.000 @ tsukuba with ease) and go fast ( all AWD GT-R's can do 300mph+)

They're not that good, I've seen better cars in the garage for that prize, for example a Subaru Impreza WRX, far better AWd system, same for the Lancer VI GSR TME
 
only thing why WRX feels better is that it's almost 300kg's lighter. and, using same reason, I say that Peugeot 205 T16 is better than Impreza. light weight is one of greatest weapons on track or rally racing.
 
Does the Gillet Vertigo compare well to a Black Beauty from Pirate Tom Walkinshaw's used LM car harbour?

"AARGH! Welcome to me Used Car Harbour, ye pantaloon wearin' sissies! I've got steals of a deal on only ye finest high quality landlubber bilge buckets!"

Thanks for that Pirate Tom... I think, anyhow, the Vertigo is "only" 1,000,000 of your Earth Credits with the factory sticker still on it. A tired R390 is over two times the price. Has oil as black as as lobsters eyes and the chassis is so twisted it you'd think the tub was covered in barnacles.

So, Gentlemen, your verdict on the Belgian Banana boat?
 
Mayuri Ootsuka
Does the Gillet Vertigo compare well to a Black Beauty from Pirate Tom Walkinshaw's used LM car harbour?

"AARGH! Welcome to me Used Car Harbour, ye pantaloon wearin' sissies! I've got steals of a deal on only ye finest high quality landlubber bilge buckets!"

Thanks for that Pirate Tom... I think, anyhow, the Vertigo is "only" 1,000,000 of your Earth Credits with the factory sticker still on it. A tired R390 is over two times the price. Has oil as black as as lobsters eyes and the chassis is so twisted it you'd think the tub was covered in barnacles.

So, Gentlemen, your verdict on the Belgian Banana boat?

In my opinion, the Gillet Vertigo is one of the best cars in its class. Definately worth having. I think it's short too, which allows you to compete in some limited dimension races. This is a great car, one of my favourites in the game and well worth the 1M credits. It has served me well.
 
samj_13
One more is the Black Cars. Cheap race cars (compared to the normal versions) that only need a chassis refresh and an oil change an can be good as their normally painted counterparts.

I agree. I had a Black R92CP before I started again, and I tuned it to top out at 256mp/h on La Sarthe II, and reaching 240mp/h on the rundown from Mulsanne to Indianapolis and Arnage. Sheer bliss. The Black cars are definetly more than a rival for the normal cars. Bang for your buck? Hell, yes!

xjr-9
 
Mayuri Ootsuka
So, Gentlemen, your verdict on the Belgian Banana boat?

Well the Vertigo certainly has bang (900+ HP i think??), but that's where my liking of it ends. I could never get that thing to take a good turn at mid to high speeds. I think it's a good B-Spec Bob car for 1 mil Cr. but, it has no real use in A-spec, for me at least.
 
Actually I've seen a big Enduro test of cars for La Sarthe and the Vertigo in the hands of a B Spec driver (cough) tended to trigger some nasty reaction on the Road away from Rouen to Tours.

Symptoms desplayed are savage high speed accidents involving the steering going full lock while a car is near top speed.

As an ASpec car the Vertigo could be "Bang" worthy but a B Spec driver could spend more time in the Armco Gravel than you would like.
 
Bhp is'nt everything, the Gillet Vertigo races alongside cars such as the Toyota Minolta, in my opinion, it's one of the slower cars in it's class.
 
George Morley
Bhp is'nt everything, the Gillet Vertigo races alongside cars such as the Toyota Minolta, in my opinion, it's one of the slower cars in it's class.

The Minolta Toyota is a class above the Gillet Vertigo though, so if it races alongside it then how is it slow? :)
 
The Gillet Vertigo has no class. The car (in the game spec) doesn't exist in real life. And it really isn't very fast, because it has no downforce or torque. The Chaparal 2J is a far faster car or only 200k more. The only thing the Vertigo is good for is wall-riding or races that don't require downforce, as it isn't that fats in a straight line either.
 
Certainly NOT the mazda miata. I had to dump about 30k into just to win the Beginner series Convertible race! what a crock!
 
Since this thread is to show what is cheap and fast, I am wondering which Miata should I use for the 4h Enduro event which only allows Miata's?
 
djblackmon
Since this thread is to show what is cheap and fast, I am wondering which Miata should I use for the 4h Enduro event which only allows Miata's?
Good question - I also want to know this as there are a whole bunch of MX5 variants and I want to know:
1) Can I just use a 1989 MX5, do it up like hell and it'll win me the race
2) If not, which is the best MX5 to buy? I know there was a JDM turbo Mazdaspeed variant released - is it in the game?
 
WinK
Good question - I also want to know this as there are a whole bunch of MX5 variants and I want to know:
1) Can I just use a 1989 MX5, do it up like hell and it'll win me the race
2) If not, which is the best MX5 to buy? I know there was a JDM turbo Mazdaspeed variant released - is it in the game?

Any stock Miata is capable of winning in the right hands.

The Mazdaspeed Miata came to the US as well with a 170hp turbo engine. It isn't in the game though. The best MX-5 is one of the new 1.8L ones available in the Mazda dealer. Likely the most expensive one. :P
 
Toronado
And it really isn't very fast, because it has no downforce or torque. The Chaparal 2J is a far faster car or only 200k more.

Can you translate that to English for me please? If it has no downforce or torque then it mustn't have spoilers or an engine, which it clearly does. The Chapparal 2J can only participate in a limited number of events and is one of the worst cars in it's class. The Vertigo and 2J are a different class of car. I don't mean class in the social sense either.
 
Automobile
Can you translate that to English for me please? If it has no downforce or torque then it mustn't have spoilers or an engine, which it clearly does. The Chapparal 2J can only participate in a limited number of events and is one of the worst cars in it's class. The Vertigo and 2J are a different class of car. I don't mean class in the social sense either.

He means that the Vertigo has very little downforce, low tourque compared to its astronomical horsepower level. He [probably] means it isn't a very well balanced car (which I agree 100%), compared to the Chap 2J, which is smaller, quicker, has more downforce, and is really fun to drive. Much more balanced than the Vertigo.

Quick question, what class was the 2J in, anyway?
 
samj_13
Quick question, what class was the 2J in, anyway?

I don't know what the categories are called, but the Vertigo is like a Touring Car/NASCAR and the 2J is like a really old Formula 1/Indycar. Touring Cars are weaker than Indycars and Indycars are weaker than F1 cars, so the Vertigo is probably 2 classes below it, if it's indeed an old F1 car.
 
Automobile
I don't know what the categories are called, but the Vertigo is like a Touring Car/NASCAR and the 2J is like a really old Formula 1/Indycar. Touring Cars are weaker than Indycars and Indycars are weaker than F1 cars, so the Vertigo is probably 2 classes below it, if it's indeed an old F1 car.

All NASCAR cars are stock cars, with very minor aerodynamic upgrades, and very major chassis, engine, tires, steering, etc upgrades. The most thing even remotely close to a wing on a NASCAR car is the lip on the tail. I'm 99.99% sure all Indy/Formula 1 cars are and have always been open wheeled, and a Touring Car (such as a DTM) is much stonger than F1 or Indy cars, if one gets into an accident, I'd much rather be in a closed-top, closed-wheeled car doing around 140mph than an open-wheeled, open-seat racer going nearly 200mph.

A Vertigo was (if it a racer did exist of it, I don't know :confused:) probably a GT1 or GT2-class AMLe Mans or Le Mans racer. The 2J is (after some research), a Can-Am racer.

EDIT: After some research, the Gillet Vertigo Race Car is a FIA-GT racer, and a GT2 Group 2 Le Mans Racer
 
While we're discussing the Vertigo, the one in GT4 apparently does not exist in real life. The one in GT3 was correct, but there isn't a real one with the power and paint of the one in GT4.

Edit: Oh, Toronado already mentioned that. :dunce:
 
samj_13
a Touring Car (such as a DTM) is much stonger than F1 or Indy cars, if one gets into an accident, I'd much rather be in a closed-top, closed-wheeled car doing around 140mph than an open-wheeled, open-seat racer going nearly 200mph.

I didn't mean stronger in an engineering sense, I meant faster and more powerful. A Stock Car doesn't even come close to a Formula Car in performance. Even the Le Mans type cars such as the Pescarolo, which have the same type body as a Formula Car, aren't in the same performance class.
 
Ebiggs
Any stock Miata is capable of winning in the right hands.

The Mazdaspeed Miata came to the US as well with a 170hp turbo engine. It isn't in the game though. The best MX-5 is one of the new 1.8L ones available in the Mazda dealer. Likely the most expensive one. :P


Thanks, I'll try it out, maybe it will do good maybe it won't, but hey it all depends on the driver.
 
M3 CSL with stage 3 weight reduction, race exhaust and ECU/port-polish/balancer shafts. Well it's good value when I have like 4 quintillion credits......


before you flame me, I thought the game sucked at first and just wanted the sexy cars. That way I can photo the lot of them. I have since won cars, but I don't play it to race.
 
I second the vote for the Buick Special. $58,000 for a Supercharged 455 V8, a chassis that weighs 1364 kg's stock, and a compliant tuned suspention.
 
Jetboys427
I second the vote for the Buick Special. $58,000 for a Supercharged 455 V8, a chassis that weighs 1364 kg's stock, and a compliant tuned suspention.
...and pizza cutter front tires, meaning early and terminal understeer. Horsepower is not all, young padawan.

My favorite bang-for-buck all-rounder is the SVT Mustang Cobra R. Plenty of torque, long gearing for long tracks, and solid, predictable RWD handling. For less than 40 kilocredits, you can't beat it.
 
Duke
...and pizza cutter front tires, meaning early and terminal understeer. Horsepower is not all, young padawan.

My favorite bang-for-buck all-rounder is the SVT Mustang Cobra R. Plenty of torque, long gearing for long tracks, and solid, predictable RWD handling. For less than 40 kilocredits, you can't beat it.
Well, no, power is not the end-all be-all statement, just the car makes well use of it. Stock suspention settings have served me well for the 8500 A-spec miles I've driven it. Different strokes for different folks, indeed.

Now, the Mustang is rather good choice, provided you can find the 6.2 mile variant, otherwise you have to front the 50,000 costs for refreshing. Lots of bang, yes, but more bucks than necessary. *Chooses cars carefully* I'd say that an RX-8 Type S is excellent for the 27,000 offered for it, but it lacks torque. The 350Z GT4/ 35th Anniversary edition works well for 36,000.
 
Automobile
Can you translate that to English for me please? If it has no downforce or torque then it mustn't have spoilers or an engine, which it clearly does. The Chapparal 2J can only participate in a limited number of events and is one of the worst cars in it's class. The Vertigo and 2J are a different class of car. I don't mean class in the social sense either.
The Vertigo has a huge rear spoiler and front splitter and only manages 25/35 FR downforce. That is what I mean. And in no torque I meant that the car has a linear power curve that probably has 200 lb. ft. of torque at most under 6000 RPM. It is also twitchy and nigh-useless because of it's suspension geometry and lack of downforce.
The Chappy has far more torque, and (technically) limitless downforce due to it's very design. If you drive it at a flat track, it will outrun anything and everything that is not a Formula 1 car, and will stay up close to a FGT regardless. And I would even go so far as to say that it is enterable in more events than the Vertigo, due to it's dimensions (Compact Car cup), nationality (which allows it to be run in the All American Championship) and age (which allows it to be run in the World Classic Car Series, or one of the events that allows pre-1970 cars).
 
Duke
My favorite bang-for-buck all-rounder is the SVT Mustang Cobra R. Plenty of torque, long gearing for long tracks, and solid, predictable RWD handling. For less than 40 kilocredits, you can't beat it.

funny.. if I recall right, it's pretty heavy (1600kg) and almost as badly understeering as new stang. :odd:
 
I haven't driven it much in GT4, though I have a little. I haven't noticed understeer as a huge issue.

But in GT3, it had more than enough torque to overcome any weight issues. And you could throw it hard into a turn, let the tail out a little, and collect it right back up on the other side, ready to blaze down the following straight.

I ran the whole PD Cup in GT3 in it, and never touched 5th gear once.
 
Automobile
I didn't mean stronger in an engineering sense, I meant faster and more powerful. A Stock Car doesn't even come close to a Formula Car in performance. Even the Le Mans type cars such as the Pescarolo, which have the same type body as a Formula Car, aren't in the same performance class.

Ah, okay I thought you meant in the engineering sense. Yes, touring cars can't touch an F1, Indy, or CART car on any circuit. NASCAR (stock) cars actually have massive engines, somewhere near 750-800 hp (I think). Stock cars can't touch F1, Indy, or CART cars because of their obvious weight issues (3500 pounds!) and are inferior to the open-wheeled cars' aerodynamics. And LM1 and LM2 cars arent in the same performance class as F1's because: 1) their PTW ratio is higher, 2) they don't have as musch power, 3) they are closed-wheeled.

@Duke: In GT3, didn't the SVT also have a 6th gear as well?
 
Back