Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Like last week's Camino, the Spitfire isn't a car for hardcore racing, I picture it being driven by a chap on his way through the leafy lanes to pub lunch with a bit of posh totty.

Not driven by a cad, like a Jaaaag, but definitely a chap. With a pipe.

Although not a racing car it might be used for a retro track day and so it was off to the Kent countryside for a few laps of Brands.

On the stock Comfort Mediums it tool 1:07.622, but on Sports Hards it was a much better 1:03.730 and was great fun.

In the spirit of the country drive I tried the Ring again and managed to get round in 10:24.514.

As others have said it's a great drive, nice and light and handles well.

Looks nice too

Another great choice.

The CotW Gang Chronicles.

Chapter 1

"Harry. It's Mack," said the voice on the phone when I answered it.
It was Mack, the knife, my buddy from way back when we chased the same pussy* together.
"Hey, whaddya know now," I said. "Long time no see, buddy, what are you doing?"
"You wanna buy a new Spitfire?"
That's Mack - brutal charm, blunt humour, and to the point. And always an edge to him. He's not called the Knife for nothing.
"Dealing in warplanes now, Mack?" I laughed.
He had to be joking as usual.
Or maybe not. One never knew what twist and turns Mack could plunge you into.
He seemed to be gathering his thoughts. I wondered for a moment whether he had actually unboxed some Supermarines from a shady buddy of his and was looking to unload them. This is a guy who dines with princes one day and beggars the next. He knew people. He knew I could afford one.
"What are you doing next Tuesday eve - got any plans?"
"Not that I can't cancel if the world was ending," I said. "What do you have in mind?"
He must have forgotten about the Spitfire.
"You want a Triumph Spitfire, brand-spanking new, sonny, I can get you one," he said abruptly.
I sat up. What? Triumph Spitfire? Triumph? As in the car Spitfire?
"Jeebus!" I frowned. "What are you talking about? New?"
He knew I collected fine cars - he has seen my garage, and once even procured a fine, rare El Camino for me in pristine condition.
"Look, I can't talk much. I gotta run. Meet me at Brands Hatch, Tuesday eve."
"Blandshlatch__!" I spluttered trying to organise my tongue around my now thoroughly befuddled wits.
"Yeah. Friend of a friend of a friend of mine recovered a stash of brand new Spitfires from a former Triumph Manager who invested a lot in the cars. Not sure how many cars are there, but he bought a heap of 'em anyway. He's ready to sell now. He lives close to the track, and that's where he has stored these cars - they're '64 Spits. He's running them over in the haulers over to the track - so be there if you want."
"'74 Spits? Brand new?"
"Zero on the odo," he said. "Okay, cya."
"Jeez, Tuesday is tomorrow," I complain. "I'm not in the UK right now."
"Deal with it," he says. And rings off.
Typical Mack. Blunt and edgey at the same time.
I hit the button for my secretary. "Miss Hunnimunni," I said, hoping I didn't sound peevish. I like to sound carelessly powerful when I spoke to her. "I need to file a flight plan."
I was going to have to catch my private red-eye.

Something was on in London - pennants, barricades, hordes of people - and the place was crawling with some hot looking birds, too. Being single and in my forties, I notice these things.
"What's going on?" I asked James, my chauffeur, who had picked me up at the airfield.
"Races, guv'nor," he said, "It's them Tuesday races on. Local league."
We stopped at my flat for a quick cuppa and a few calls before setting off for the Hatch; I also wanted to take my '57 507 for a spin, so I decided to drive myself to the track. Before long I was at Junction 3 of the M25, and following the signposts. Cruising along in the 507 I wondered what Mack had in store at the track.

As I got out of the car at Brands, I noticed Mack at the entrance to the pits, with a bunch of people around him.
Now . . . I got crowdophobia.
Crowds make my skin crawl. I can take one, two, maybe three people at a time. Maybe I'm the unfriendly sort. I don't know.
I started off hesitantly towards the bunch of them. They watched me approach. They looked like attack dogs. I was hoping Mack would walk over, himself, to join me. He waved me over heartily, a gay blade. I could almost hear him call, "Get over here, wimp."
I had to join them.
Where were the cars, I wondered. I looked around but didn't see any haulers. I wanted to select, pay, arrange the shipping, and get the hell back to my cosy office in the sky, with Miss Hunnimunni to speak with about the odd thing to now and then - like 'Can you arrange to have fifty million simoleons deposited into my Swiss account, the secondary one, please, Miss Hunnimunni.' or "I would like some Gouda with the Beluga today, Miss Hunnimunni." - that sort of thing. I live a quiet life, officially.
Okay, I admit I've had a few adventures - but these were freak accidents in my life. Not the kind of thing I would plan to happen.
I suddenly realised there was something weird about the gang of people around him. My skin crawled. They definitely looked like attack dogs. They were all snarling at me, albeit silently, canines bared, eyes glinting ferociously.
I froze.
"Hi" I said, a bit weakly.
Mack introduced us: "Harry, meet the King, that's the Baron, over there's Bruno, the kid's Bill, this is Dr. Ryan . . . ."
"Oh!" I relaxed a bit, forgetting to listen to the names and looking at their faces. "I see."
I took a better look at them. They were smiling, not snarling. Other collectors, huh, I thought.
They looked a bit more human now that I had a better look at them. Kings? Barons? Well, I guessed, these would be the type of people in for deal like this - guys who could afford to shell out half a million for a brand new Spitfre right out of the seventies. This car was about as hip as a car could get. In fact it still is about as hip as a car can get.
I noticed absently, and then with a start, that a couple of these suddenly princely-looking guys were kitted out for the track.
"You guys are . . . uh, are you going to be racing?"
"Yup," said the King.
"Is the Pope Catholic?" Mack asked.
"Yeah, wanna race?" someone else asked.
WTF? I thought. I looked at Mack. "So what's happening here?" I demanded, hoping my raised eyebrows were conveying the necessary disdain.
"Guys are going to race some of those Spits," Mack answered. "Right off the hauler. Pump gas, check the oil, outta here. 5 laps. You pays your money you gets your fun."
"Are you kidding? These are brand new Spitfire 1500s!" I think my voice rose five octaves.
"Suck it up, Harry," said Mack. "In fact, you'll have, to." He turned to the rest. "Let's go boys."
He led me away from the pits, taking my arm and pulling me ahead of the royalty that trailed behind us.

"Look, there is a string attached to this," he began as we strolled towards the offices. I groaned. I should have known better than to trust Mack. I suddenly foresaw a spontaneous run across Europe. I couldn't do that anymore. Every moment I was away from my quiet, cosy little office I was losing a few millions here, a couple more there. Or rather - I was not so much losing as failing to gain.
"This guy is a bit of an eccentric," continued Mack as we approached the offices. "He stipulates that we must hold a race for him as part of the deal. A real race. No sandbagging."
I stopped in my tracks. "What?"
Bruno slammed into me, caught surprised by my sudden halt, and everybody behind him accordioned.
Mack tugged me on, and we unsorted ourselves.
"Listen, don't mess this up. Just shut up and do what he says. It took me months to arrange this. He's giving us the cars at the price it was going for at the time. In the sixties. We're getting brand-new cars at the sixties price."
I swung round to face him, shocked, and the gang behind slammed into us again. I thought I heard an Irish oath from somewhere in the rear.
But as we stumbled ahead, Mack could say no more because the door to the office we were approaching opened and a silver haired, sprightly-looking sprite in a suit, that must have cost a bit more than an arm and a leg, stood there grinning at us.
"Meet Lord March, boys, " said Mack expansively with a broad smile as he introduced us.

Turned out that the Lord was a petrol-head and did stuff like this. In any case the story was that he had invested in these cars through the former Triumph manager and stored them away. Now he wanted to stage a race with a bunch of them at Brands, the only requisite for competition being that we paid for the cars. No race, no deal.
This was a strange situation indeed. The others were already marching behind the Lord into the depths of the offices, and I followed suit.
Soon we were looking at the catalogs and picking out the colours we wanted. Lord March had the cars stored a few miles away, and would have them trucked down as soon as we made our selection.
Meanwhile, those of us who were not suited up were supposed to do so right away.
I asked if I could buy two Spits - there was no problem. Someone wanted to know if we could have any accessories, or quick mods fitted before the race. The Lord refused.
Mack sided with him: "If you can't drive stock, you can't drive tuned," he chided those of us who wanted it. "Now suck it up and deal with it."
Finally, seeing the disapointment on the faces of some of us, Lord march relented, and pulled out some other catalogs.
"I can fit you gentlemen with new wheels," he said. "And that's about all I want modified on these cars when you race them, gentlemen."

I couldn't believe all this. Buying new cars, and rare ones at that, and taking them out right away to trade paint.
Everything was a bit of a whirl after that. I managed to procure a track suit, and was suited and sweating in no time. When the haulers trundled in we were terribly excited of course, watching the cars being unloaded, taking possesion of the vehicle that we had selected, walking around it, starting it up - this car was really a hidden gem, a well-kept secret when it came to an in-your-face fun mobile.
I had ordered one in red - and was chagrined to see three other 'reds' unloaded. I wanted my car to stand out.
Mack had got a classic white, and so had Junior.
The guy from Ireland had ordered a bright yellow with even brighter green wheels; there would be no excuse for not seeing him on the track. His car definitely stood out. And Jack (Mack had hinted that he was former CIA) had selected a suspicious-looking blue.

Lord March had arranged for us to take a few practise spins before the race, and I set off in the Spitfire. I have to confess, that even being the owner of close to 500 cars, and having driven many more, I hadn't ever driven the Spitfire 1500. This was the bigger engine. The Spit was based upon the old Herald - the sports version of it, but the Spit had a personality of its own. This was the car you would throw an overnight bag in, take the top down, and go toodling around the countryside, preferably countryside liberally littered with cows, farmhouses, and hordes of likely places to picnic at. With suitable company of course.
Not that it wouldn't look good flying around the streets of London, either.
This car had a certain style, a certain understated class that only went with the most impeccable breeding.
There was no flamboyancy about the car - it said, 'I look classy, because I am classy.' Small as it was, the curves and angles were iconic.
I realised soon enough that this car had huge potential. I suddenly saw the sense in what Mack was saying: If you don't know what the car would do, then you can't potentialise what the car could do.
A lap around the hatch, and I was actually looking forward to racing this thing. There was a certain amount of swing-ability to this car, a certain amount of eagerness to get up and go, that challenges one to push its limits.
This was a car that dared you to take your foot off the throttle. This was a WOT machine. You kept your foot down and swung the car in the direction you wanted it to go, never mind how fast you swung it, this car would follow like a puppy who had its leash jerked.
'Corner me,' it said. 'Don't lift.'

Finally we were ready to race. Lord March dropped the checkers and we were off - 5 laps at Brands Hatch in brand-new Spitfire 1500s. Full throttle.
It was great race.
There were battles all around the track.
I was amazed by the skill shown by the rest of the guys; these guys were obviously not just collectors they seemed to actually know how to command a good line at the track. It was a good race and Lord March was thrilled.
After the race we gathered, for drinks, in a clump at the pits to discuss what we felt and this young guy walks up to us and asks whether we would like to buy some pics. Then he pulls out a tablet and shows some of the pictures he had taken of us racing. In next to no time currency had changed hands and we were clutching flash-drives full of pics. He even provided the drives, and charged 20 quid for a hundred pics. That was a good deal - and I think he made a pile of cash, too. Another young entrepreneur on his way to becoming a millionaire, I guessed.

When we were arranging to ship the cars out, Mack suddenly gets off the phone he had been busy on and asks us whether we would like to join the races on in London. He had managed to buy some time from the organisers and so if we wished it . . .
There was a resounding 'Yes.' We kept our suits on.
I was going to have a lot to tell Miss Hunnimunni during lunch when I got back.

Here are some of the pics snapped by the young lad at the track:

*( https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/jenkins-the-gran-turismo-cat.240737/ )

Last edited:
Congratulations photonrider!

Is the Spit a beater or a sleeper? Oh! A Sleeper in the right hands, the way the top dogs in the pack were running you'd think the Spit was a supercharged Merlin running on kerosene.

I don't know about that, but I do know that you've earned the choice of this week's car... what'll it be?

I was trying to live up to my reputation as a troll and join the likes of Jordan and Famine. A Miura is 15 M!!!!

To make it easy for you (since you would have more experience at what is suitable) I'll give you three choices.

1. Ferrari...
Too late! You said Ferrari, you can't take it back! I don't car if it fits or not, I'm not stupid enough to pass up this chance!

1984 Ferrari GTO!

blondes%20women%20jeans%20trees%20cars%20ferrari%20high%20heels%201920x1200%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperto.com_4.jpg

I don't really think that anything else needs to be said...

Last edited:
Utterly gorgeous, it's deceptively quick and very lively. It doesn't really fit into either category, but it's definitely on the sleeper side based on how rarely I see it in online lobbies.
It doesn't need any tuning and I'd recommend not even changing the tyres. This is one car that's definitely worth learning to drive how it is. It will step out at any opportunity, but it's controllable and with visual damage on, you'll do your best to keep that lovely bodyshell away from walls, cars, dirt, grass, gravel and pretty much anything else.

There are better cars in the price range, better cars at this PP range, but none of them feel quite as special as the 288 GTO.

If my tuned GTO is anything to go by, then this will be one hell of a battle. 👍 :)

The real challenge is keeping the Twin Turbo V8 on boost and not getting caught out in low speed turns. :scared:

I somehow knew Brad's review was going to be sad when the first thing I thought of was the 80's tune "Take On Me" video... Oh man, not again! lol

On the other side, I'm glad to take out the 'Magnum PI car on steroids" again... had this car for awhile and really enjoyed it. Now to see what it can do against real people instead of the AI in GT6. No matter if I wind up in last place, it will be a blast!!! It won't be the car that's a sleeper, just the one driving it...

Cheers

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Syracuse - Night.jpg

All she needed was a set of classic wires with knock-offs :)

On paper her specs are all of 71hp/319pp, but there is so much more than just a silly spec sheet to her. Am I sounding like a giddy schoolgirl in love...perhaps? But this is what dreams are made of, not dreams of prancing horses made of pure unobtainium, but dreams that can be had! Okay, enough of this silliness, how does she do on the track?
Tsukuba Circuit.jpg

Nice of PD to put a few other classics in the line up, she is too much for the little Honda.

A little car like this is perfect for a track like Tsukuba so that is where we went.
Tsukuba TT, best of 5 laps: 1:20.450
When I crossed the line for the first time I was thinking "was that just one lap or two" yes, she is that slow.

Tsukuba Circuit_1.jpg

My birthday car, the 62 Skyline, I was feeling pretty good coming up through the field of old fogies.

Tsukuba 5 lap vs Pro AI:
Finish - P3, total - 6:56.185, best - 1:21.703
Well, at least I made the podium 👍
Tsukuba Circuit_2.jpg

The other Spitfire in the line-up posed no problems...it must have been the wire wheels I installed :sly:

The Spitfire was great to drive, very well balanced. You could get the rear to step out if you tried, but it wasn't anything un-manageable. The brakes were more than capable and the trans...well, it is rare you find a stock car with a box optimized for the track so I can't really find too much fault there. As for the power, well I have had motorcycles with more hp so what can I say? One can almost always use MORE POWER :D
Tsukuba Circuit_3.jpg

I was feeling pretty good until this mini-van out powered me down the back straight :rolleyes:

Tsukuba Circuit_4.jpg

That was okay though, I pulled a classic over and under move coming out of the final turn after the straight for my final pass and a step on the podium.

Beater or sleeper? She holds too strong a place in my heart to call her a beater, but she just doesn't have the power or speed to be a sleeper. She is just plain fun is what she is, kind of like that first girl crush, the first hand hold, that first peck of a kiss...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Great choice 👍

Yes, I know I am late, but I already bought the Ferrari and I can't wait to get my hands on her :cheers:

I'm gonna have to skip a Suzuka test of this one lol over a million credits? I'm broke and grind Like the Wind for 140k in 4 minutes. Not willing to work for 30+ minutes to buy this car. I miss GT5 online seasonals. I was making 1.4 million in like 7 minutes.

I miss GT5 online seasonals. I was making 1.4 million in like 7 minutes.
If you played your cards right you could have made more than triple that (Ferrari F1, heavily detuned). If you're desperately out of money and need a new cash cow: X2014 Standard Championship, Car Volume down to 40% to be considerate, (unless you live alone in a batcave, in which case go nuts.) SRF On, Use the free RS tyres and almost nothing can go wrong (except on Apricot Hill, that place is dangerous). That's a way better deal than Like the Wind.

Utterly gorgeous, it's deceptively quick and very lively. It doesn't really fit into either category, but it's definitely on the sleeper side based on how rarely I see it in online lobbies.

(Bolded mine)
This was my thinking. Why is everybody sleeping over this car? This is a car that has so much potential - especially in the 500 -550 PP Lobbies. Yet, the only one I've seen so far in any lobby has been one of mine. Uh, yes, I have a few. :)
For what it offers, it actually is quite affordable - this isn't five million or fifteen or twenty. It's just over a measly million; cripes, you can grind that out at Motegi cruising in a NASCAR stock car in half an hour (if you worked in the login bonus.)
Yet, no one seems to buy it or race it. LFAs flood the lobbies.GT-Rs of all sorts spam the heck out of the lobbies. Evos, STis, Vipers . . . jeez, I've seen more Red Devils and Toronados haunting the lobbies - and those cost about as much.
So . . . my thinking was - this car has definitely been flying under the radar. Time to turn the spotlight on it.

As the Baron says:
It won't be the car that's a sleeper, just the one driving it...

It will step out at any opportunity....

Absolutely. I think this car is sleeping because most just don't dare to wake it up.

A couple months ago it was wearing a tweed jacket to review a Volvo station wagon. This week, time to dig out my Hawaiian shirt and trim my moustache. :D

[video]

(I know, it's not the same model Ferrari. Close enough for me. :P )

Ha! I enjoyed that. Dang, how fast everything becomes retro and . . . . hokey? :D
I think that about sets the mood, too.

👍
If anybody here already has a GTO, the motors must be revving. :lol: That car pretty much expressed the driver's soul. Whoever it was. :)

I don't know how they fit all those blonds in that car...but I sure would have fun trying to figure it out :crazy:

The car's not your usual four-banger, so definitely there's going to be a lot of squeezing and shoving before anybody gets in. Or you have to offer multiple rides.

I'm gonna have to skip a Suzuka test of this one lol over a million credits? I'm broke and grind Like the Wind for 140k in 4 minutes. Not willing to work for 30+ minutes to buy this car. I miss GT5 online seasonals. I was making 1.4 million in like 7 minutes.

*cracks whip.

How could you resist this? Are you going to join those who sleep over this car?

A Ferrari as a beater? A 1,250,000 car as a sleeper? Both notions are equally ridiculous, which is why this week my review centers on the simple question of "Is it any good?" For it's price tag, the car needs to not only be good but "damn good" to be worth the money.

The GTO builds a strong case for itself just standing still. Three Decades later, this car still wouldn't look out of place among more modern exotics. Its interior is lovingly crafted, and its lines demand attention from both fellow drivers and admiring bikini-clad females. Getting a car like this from Robin Masters for free (instead of having to significantly lighten my virtual wallet like I had to) would seem a dream come true, better than having a Hollywood starlet walk up and ask you for your hand in marriage.

However, once you're on the track, the GTO becomes like living with the Hollywood starlet: an extremely high maintenance relationship, where the smallest slight, intended or not, can result in huge amounts of drama.

Granted, the Ferrari has the ways and means of going very fast when you get it right, and in my hands it easily took the top spot on the Grand Valley East leaderboard away from the NSX-R with a blazing 1:10.318 time. But getting it right proved a rare achievement, as I only had one other lap that was close to this time. Most of my times were much closer to the 1:15 mark as the car was completely unforgiving to even the slightest incorrect steering angle or throttle application. This Prancing Horse feels much more like a Bucking Bronco, and I fear I would probably careen into a palm tree or off a seaside cliff before I chased any baddies down in this GTO.

Now, after blowing seven figures on the Ferrari, you would think I wouldn't be buying anymore cars for a while. However, I did indeed get another car to compare with this one. Now yes, the '88 Countach or even a '90 Corvette ZR-1 would match up better, but I just couldn't resist the urge to make it....

....that's right. GTO vs. GTO.

Now I can hear the protests, already. "The Pontiac is no match for the Ferrari!" "It's less powerful and heavier!" "It's not nearly as refined!" "It's styling is hopelessly bland next to the Ferrari!"

To which I say....those are all completely correct. The Ferrari would be the obvious choice for me on the beachside or at a luxurious party or, well, pretty much anywhere that's not a racetrack. But on GVE, I had far more fun obtaining a best lap of 1:15.127 in the 2004 Pontiac than having horrid laps of that same timeframe in the 1984 Ferrari. If the Ferrari is a drama queen of the Hollywood set, the Pontiac is the girl next door; predictable and far easier to keep hold of.

And there is one other thing about the Pontiac. Let's face this fact: the likelihood of me ever getting to own the Ferrari for real is about the same as being invited by an unseen millionaire to Oahu to live on his estate and lead a life of action and adventure in between days of leisure under the tropical sun. Owning the Pontiac however, isn't nearly as far-fetched of a fantasy.

Last edited:
You can have any color you want, as long as it's...red!

After 2 clean laps around Suzuka, my best so far is in the 2:14's but won't post a video until I at least reach 2:13.

This car hits 160 mph on the front straight, around 20 mph faster than the '01 NSX and...60 mph faster than the Spitfire.

Just curious, when you watch GT time trial videos of premium cars, do you prefer to see interior?

Crushed my previous 2:14.5 lap with a 2:12.860 :) This is more than 3 seconds quicker than the California I tested a little while back.

1984 Ferrari GTO - 2.8L, 393 hp @ 6900 rpm, 369 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm, 1160 kg, 520 pp.

2008 Ferrari California - 4.3L, 453 hp @ 7500 rpm, 355 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1630 kg, 522 pp.

The sound of the 2.8-liter engine is intoxicating, the MR-layout is not terribly unforgiving, and the rush of torque combined with low curb weight is a recipe for delight.

A Ferrari as a beater? A 1,250,000 car as a sleeper? Both notions are equally ridiculous, which is why this week my review centers on the simple question of "Is it any good?" For it's price tag, the car needs to not only be good but "damn good" to be worth the money.

The GTO builds a strong case for itself just standing still. Three Decades later, this car still wouldn't look out of place among more modern exotics. Its interior is lovingly crafted, and its lines demand attention from both fellow drivers and admiring bikini-clad females. Getting a car like this from Robin Masters for free (instead of having to significantly lighten my virtual wallet like I had to) would seem a dream come true, better than having a Hollywood starlet walk up and ask you for your hand in marriage.

However, once you're on the track, the GTO becomes like living with the Hollywood starlet: an extremely high maintenance relationship, where the smallest slight, intended or not, can result in huge amounts of drama.

Granted, the Ferrari has the ways and means of going very fast when you get it right, and in my hands it easily took the top spot on the Grand Valley East leaderboard away from the NSX-R with a blazing 1:10.318 time. But getting it right proved a rare achievement, as I only had one other lap that was close to this time. Most of my times were much closer to the 1:15 mark as the car was completely unforgiving to even the slightest incorrect steering angle or throttle application. This Prancing Horse feels much more like a Bucking Bronco, and I fear I would probably careen into a palm tree or off a seaside cliff before I chased any baddies down in this GTO.

Now, after blowing seven figures on the Ferrari, you would think I wouldn't be buying anymore cars for a while. However, I did indeed get another car to compare with this one. Now yes, the '88 Countach or even a '90 Corvette ZR-1 would match up better, but I just couldn't resist the urge to make it....

....that's right. GTO vs. GTO.

Now I can hear the protests, already. "The Pontiac is no match for the Ferrari!" "It's less powerful and heavier!" "It's not nearly as refined!" "It's styling is hopelessly bland next to the Ferrari!"

To which I say....those are all completely correct. The Ferrari would be the obvious choice for me on the beachside or at a luxurious party or, well, pretty much anywhere that's not a racetrack. But on GVE, I had far more fun obtaining a best lap of 1:15.127 in the 2004 Pontiac than having horrid laps of that same timeframe in the 1984 Ferrari. If the Ferrari is a drama queen of the Hollywood set, the Pontiac is the girl next door; predictable and far easier to keep hold of.

And there is one other thing about the Pontiac. Let's face this fact: the likelihood of me ever getting to own the Ferrari for real is about the same as being invited by an unseen millionaire to Oahu to live on his estate and lead a life of action and adventure in between days of leisure under the tropical sun. Owning the Pontiac however, isn't nearly as far-fetched of a fantasy.
what about the "other" GTO? made by Mitsubishi. (it's known as the 3000GT in the states.)

what about the "other" GTO? made by Mitsubishi. (it's known as the 3000GT in the states.)

What about the original 250GTO as well!
I think the Mitsubishi Galant GTO is in GT6 as well.
The only one missing is the original Pontiac GTO, but we do have the tempest/le mans it was based on.

Oh, the Ferrari 288 GTO. The first of a legacy of dream machines, this car is absolutely amazing, and having the opportunity to drive it as the Car of the Week is like when the teacher chooses the pairs for a project and you get to work with the hot girl in your class. And you end up finding out that she is not only beautiful, but she also has a great personality.

To test it out, I took it to Nurburgring Nordschleife, completely stock and with ABS 0 (a.k.a. the real way to drive a classic sports car). The first thing I noticed is that it is not as hard to control as I read. Yes, it is quite tail-happy, but nowhere near uncontrollable oversteer.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring+Nordschleife_1.jpg

It has great power to tear the straights at the Nurburgring and it sounds really good, just like any Ferrari should. And those eyes, oooooh those eyes. They just stare at your soul, and in seconds, you're in love.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring+Nordschleife_4.jpg

Moving on, the suspension handles the bumps from the track surface really well, which means that it won't send you spinning after you briefly lose contact with the ground.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring+Nordschleife_6.jpg

Well, after a couple of laps, I decided to do something... risky. I went to the tuning shop and bought some new parts for her. I know, there is a large possibility of being crucified for modifying a classic Ferrari, but I did it anyway. Bought some suspension, drivetrain and engine mods, reduced its weight (I was surprised when I found out that it weighed less than 1,5 ton.), changed the wheels and gave it a paint job. After that, took it to Cote d'Azur for a spin (or ten).

C%25C3%25B4te+d%2527Azur.jpg

Even though it had more power than before, it wasn't as uncontrollable as I predicted. It had its fair share of "ooh, I might try to kill you in this corner", but other than that, it was nice and remembered me a bit of the 80's F1 cars.

C%25C3%25B4te+d%2527Azur_1.jpg

But anyways, my verdict is that this car is neither a sleeper, neither a beater. It is simply an amazing machine, that gives you a lot of joy for its price. Yes, it is quite expensive, but I guarantee that it will be money well spent.

C%25C3%25B4te+d%2527Azur_4.jpg

I knew this car would be fun, it just sucks my internet connection was failing me badly last night due to apparent upgrades to the system in my area. May explain my visual glitches I had seen before I had no choice but to abandon my hopes of being the sleeper of the night lol. From what I did see, that honour belonged to both of our British friends that I call Team BLAMO (Bloody Limeys Approaching Mach One). :lol: All kidding aside, it's meant with all due respect... man those guys are fast!

Let's hope our next GTO we review will be the Ferrari 612 GTO I have been drooling over...

Cheers

Last edited:
The 288 GTO is my second favorite of the new 130 cars for GT6. It would be #1 if the LFA Nurburgring Package wasn't part of the new 130.

Gratuitous Ring time:

7:15.218: AKA, stupid fast for a 1,160 kg 399 HP thing and too fast for 520PP.

Back