Best and Worst Le Mans Race Car in GT5 ?

• Thread starter The piston
  • 106 comments
Wouldn't the Panoz and Mclaren fall into that category.

They are prime examples of the grey area between the GT cars and the LMP cars. The R390 and Toyota GT-One are the next logical step toward the prototype LMP racers that came around the end of the century.

They are prime examples of the grey area between the GT cars and the LMP cars. The R390 and Toyota GT-One are the next logical step toward the prototype LMP racers that came around the end of the century.

But didn;t the GT-One go in the GTP category? Yet there were a couple production GT_One's weren't there?

Im kinda shocked at people mentioning the C9. I quit the 24 hrs of nurb 6 hours in because that car eats tires and gas

Well, the R92/R89 and the Minolta waste almost as much, infact both Nissans eat more gas than the C9. Not so sure about the Minolta. However in terms of overall (cornering,brakes,acceleration,topspeed), the C9 is in my opinion the best together with the cars I already mentioned. I just say it's the best because out of those it's my favourite. :)

GT1 cars were considered as Prototypes in the late 90's, as they were modified so much.

If you have ever heard of the Dauer 962 Le Mans run by Porsche, you may know what I'm on about. Or the the Porsche 911 GT1 for that matter.

Yes.

Wouldn't the Panoz and Mclaren fall into that category.

Yes, I also forgot about these!

So the list is basically:

Group C Race Cars
S Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car ‘88
P/S Mazda 787B Race Car ‘91
S Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car ‘89
S Nissan R89C Race Car ‘89
S Nissan R92CP Race Car ‘92
S Peugeot 905 Race Car ‘92
S Toyota MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car ‘89

LMP (LeMans Prototypes)
S Audi R8 Race Car ‘01
S Audi R8 Race Car (Audi PlayStation Team ORECA) ‘05
P Audi R10 TDI Race Car ‘06
S Bentley Speed 8 Race Car ‘03
S BMW V12 LMR Race Car ‘99
S Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 – Peugeot Race Car ‘03
S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride – Judd Race car ‘05
S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo-Courage – Judd GV5 Race Car ‘04
S Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) ‘99
P Peugeot 908 HDi FAP '09
S Mercedez-Benz CLK-GTR Race Car '98
S Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98
S Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car '98
S BMW Mclaren F1 GTR Race Car '97

Then the worst is definitely the Esperante out of all these.

Here's my ranks:

1. Nissan R92/ Nissan R89/ Minolta Toyota/ Audi R8/ Jaguar XJR-9/ Sauber C9
2. Pescarolo Hybride/ Bentley Speed 8/ 787B/ R8 PlaystationTeam
3. BMW V12 LMR/ GT-One/ Pescarolo Judd GVS/ Peugeot 908
4. Pescarolo Peugeot/ Peugeot 905(clearly the worst of the famous group C cars)
/Mercedes CLK-GTR
5. Audi R10
6. Nissan R390/McLaren F1 GTR
7. Panoz Esperante

Tier 7. The Esperante is not that fast in comparison to the others above him (lol in the american event the esperante loses to the ford GT's and the 2j, or better get's owned in both tracks, and it's cornering is the worst by far ...

Tier 6. The Nissan and the F1 are faster than the esperante but just by a little bit and their cornering is not that much better.

Tier 5. The audi R10 has great cornering and handling but it lacks acceleration.

Tier 4. These cars are a bit faster than the R10 and their cornering isn't that bad even though the R10 is better, these are not so bad.

Tier 3. All these have more acceleration than the cars in Tier 4 and are better at the corners as well.

Tier 2. Same as Tier 3 in comparison to Tier 4.

Tier 1. Clearly the cars with greatest acceleration and top speed and are together with the R10 the best at the corners. In real Life Le Mans, the Jaguar XJR-9 is the winner car with more laps in Le mans history after the audi R15 and Porsche 917, the Sauber comes 4th. The R10 only lacks massive acceleration in comparison to these otherwise it would be in this tier.

If I were to rank the chaparral 2j (wich is a great car IMO) here he would between tier 3 and 4. It has less acceleration than the tier 3 and 4 cars but it's cornering is the best even better than the ones in tier 1, probably because of the fan (this is the X1 of the past lol). The Toyota 7 would be in tier 5, bad cornering and handling but it has good acceleration, bad top speed as well.
Only mentioned the chaparral and toyta 7 because these two aren't that far away from these cars here.

Last edited:
I tend to split the cars into Aerodynamic classes (Incomplete)

Some are stronger than others.

Class 1
60/85
Maximum
Pug 908 FapHDi
Pug 905
Sauber C9
Toyota 88C-V
Toyota 7
V12LMR
Toyota GTOne
(And others)

Class 2
50/70

Citroen GT
Corvette C5-R
Ford GT SPec 2 (Test)
Corevette Z06 (63)
Oreca Viper GTS-R
Lister Storm
Camaro LM
Panoz
CLK GTR
Zonda LM
Fairlady Z LM Concept (Maybe the 350 Z)
GT-R LM Concept

Class 3
40/65

Zonda R
R8 LMS

Class 4
35/60

Mazda Furai
Amemiya RX7 (Blue)
NSX-R LM
RX7 LM
RX8 LM
Corvette ZR1 RM
Corvette Z08 RM
Camaro SS RM
Tuscan RM
XJ13
Diablo GT1

Class 5
20/50

GT1 Turbo
Z28 '69 RM

Class 6
15/35
Cien
Nardo

Obviously this isn't perfect
A Cerbera gets 35/80 if you bolt on a tea tray rear wing

A Used Ford GT gets you 00/40
A Used Viper GTS only gets 00/20

Best: Mazda 787B, Sauber Mercedes C9, Nissan R92CP, Toyota MINOLTA 88C-V, Audi R8, Bentley Speed 8, BMW V12 LMR, Toyota GT-ONE. Lap times are so close on most courses.

Worst: Out of the ones I've driven, Jaguar XJR-9. It's good but seems to corner slightly slower than the above cars.

I haven't tried the Gillet Vertigo because of the remarks about it, and soon I'll own the R10, Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 and Peugeot 908.
The Minolta can go fast but you better use the racing line because when the sun goes down the lights don't work worth ####!!
Cheers, Pete

Best: Minolta, R89C, XJR-9, Bentley Speed 8, THE INSANE OVERLORD PESCAROLO HYBRIDE etc.
Middle: Gillet Vertigo (shock!!!) it is good but has the brakes of a Mazda Carol :)
Worst: Obviously, the R10. And the Toyota 7!

Why the R10 , ? that car is ace ! I would say thinking of it now I would say the sauber race car and the jag and the R8s or the R10 probably the best wouldn't say the Toyota 7 or the vertigo is a Le Mans car though

JAGUAR XJR-9 '88 Versus MAZDA 787B '91...?

I decided to bump this old thread out of past. I got rid of all my old "standard cars" in GT5, mainly cause I already have all of them in GT4 and I just don't use the standard cars anymore. The GT5 premiums are just way cooler with all their detail and extra functions such as lighting, wipers, horns, etc, and especially of course... the cockpit view, which I now currently prefer to use exclusively. With that said, in my GT5 favorites, I'm only going to have my top 10 car picks in that section. I have both the Jaguar XJR-9 '88 and the Mazda 787B '91 in my premiums, but just can't decide between the two of them. Both maxed out (not hybriding) I have tested and tested at the "X" both cars over and over again and they are so close it makes it almost impossible to chose a favorite. I'll mention here that I love the old classics cause the newer group c cars don't interest me like the golden oldies do. Also, without hybriding, the Mazda can take the "super" turbo part (stage 4 so to speak) bringing the PP comparisons when fully loaded and maxed between them to 722 for the Mazda and 720 for the Jaguar. Both have wonderful real life history at Le Mans, so I guess it's a matter of what pleases one's eyes the best. What say you ???

Edited added... One thing even though I like the looks of the Jag and it's older and more classic the Mazda performs better for me in the rain and at night. Also visibility is improved a bit better with the Mazda especially in those conditions. Kinda makes me also wonder how badly the weather and time changes must be sadly missed in GTS... Oh well ...

temp 3.jpg

Last edited:
Much more extensive testing done at de la Sarthe... Loaded, but not hybrided... Jaguar wins hands down... Winning pass photo and my PS3 new wallpaper photo...

Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car '88-Winning Pass Circuit de la Sarthe 2009.jpg
Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car '88-Ahrweiler Street.jpg

Back