Best Car for Polyphony Digital Cup

• Thread starter GTchampion
  • 51 comments
Yeah me too! :) I've only done the PD cup once but the Stang has such a tall gearbox you only wind up using 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear!
Heh, I actually thought it was kind of appropriate: big ol' 'Murican V8 loafing along in 4th gear, whupping on the Japanese buzzbombs. I could almost feel the Hurst cue-ball shifter in my hand...
The XJ220 is a great car to use too, but it is expensive... :eek::eek::eek:
Considering this series has been won in a Tommykaira ZZ-S - not the ZZ-II - which has about as much power as a gokart, I'd say the XJ220 is, ummm, a bit of overkill.

That goes back to my GT1 days, Duke! :ill: when I'd enter some race populated by Hondas & Mazdas in my gas-guzzling 30th Anniversary Camaro!!! There's something dope about watching the replay of this "ASSCAR hick" going up against the typical GT ricers. :dopey:

I wanna attempt the PD cup again and again in cars other than the Cobra Mustang; but alas, I have recently fallen (finally) into the GT4 void...which feels so much more complete than GT3. I doubt I'll be doing the PD Cup (or any pro-level racing that takes 2 entire evenings to complete) any time soon. :(

Last edited:
That goes back to my GT1 days, Duke! :ill: when i'd enter some race populated by Hondas & Mazdas in my gas-guzzling 30th Anniversary Camaro!!! There's something dope about watching the replay of this "ASSCAR hick" going up against the typical GT ricers. :dopey:
Yeah, I also ran the All-Japan GT in my Camaro racecar, and the GTWC in the Viper Oreca. I've got your Nippon-biased boosterism right here, pal...
:lol:

Yeah, I also ran the All-Japan GT in my Camaro racecar, and the GTWC in the Viper Oreca. I've got your Nippon-biased boosterism right here, pal...
:lol:

My beef with the Camaro RC is this: IT DOESN'T HAVE A V8!!! Grrrr that makes me mad. :mad:

..when I won it the first time, I was completely psyched...thought it would sound MENACING and SCARE the Ai... :( VVVVVDDDDOOOOMMMMMM

Seriously, listen to it...don't it sound like a straight 6?? :guilty:

Last edited:
Meh, all the sounds in all the GTs are lousy. The Viper sounds like the carpet beater attachment for my vacuum cleaner, and I'm even running 5.1 surround via fiberoptic cable, and a small subwoofer.

See I like the Viper. I have no idea how it sounds compared to the original, but I've heard racing Vipers on ESPN Speed and it's not too far off (it's not exact either, though). I mean, most sound samples in GT are limited. I've noticed that some cars have what sounds like a lower rpm sample and a higher rpm sample (the Mazda 787B comes to mind) so when you're going low on the revs, you'll hear the 787B groan instead of scream (high rpm).

But you get none of the backfires, none of the farts, misfires, etc that a normal car inevitably would display...sound samples in the game are pretty much limited to a short sound loop running over and over.

Last edited:
I wanna attempt the PD cup again and again in cars other than the Cobra Mustang; but alas, i have recently fallen (finallY) into the GT4 void...which feels so much more complete than GT3. I doubt i'll be doing the PD Cup (or any pro-level racing that takes 2 entire evenings to complete) any time soon. :(

Congrats on moving on to GT4 !👍

I on the other hand haven't had chance to play for a while so still on GT3. :(

Will I ever get to play GT4?? :boggled:

Best Car for Polyphony Digital Cup:GT-one Road Car on super soft tires,with oil change,ASM off,TCS on Level 5 to avoid oversteering and you can win easily by at least 4 or 5 laps from the whole competition,whitout pitting!:sly:
I´m currently on Race 4 on the championship,still with the car absouletely clean!:sly: By the way,it´s my 4th run on this championship.
1st Try:RUF RGT:Prize:GT-one Race Car!:sly:
2nd Try:Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R34):Prize:Speed 12:sly:
3rd Try:Nismo 400R:Prize Car:Polyphony 001(F094/S)!!!!!:sly:
4th Try:Toyota GT-one Road Car (TS020):Prize Car:?:nervous:
Now i´m running the entire championship,with doing one race per day.
Hopefully,i will finish in the next Friday!
Also good cars for there:R390 GT1 Road Car,XJ220 Road Car,any 280ps car with super soft tires(Supra,NSX,RX-7,Impreza,Lancer,GT-R,etc.)
I´m gonna do a 5th try with the RX-7 Type RS (FD),later on!

The choices are as wide and as varied as they come.

I've managed it in a ZZ-s. Others have used a camaro, TVR Speed Six, mustang, Integra... the list is large.

Tires are not considered "tuning" so really any car with appropriate Hp sitting on T2 tires will do it up nicely.

Take a search of the Write-up section, for PD cup or Polyphony Digital.

Then again, was is your definition of "best"?

Really?! How do you beat that championship with the ZZ-S?! Good job ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Pagani Zonda S and won the cup easily.
That was a long time ago, when I prefered "easy" to "fun and challenging".

I used a Nismo GT-R LM Road Car running Super-Slicks. Flogged everyone except the Corvette who pitted every 2 laps.

Maybe I'll try this in my RX-8. I had a good race at the trial mountain 2 hour with it.

Massive bump, When I did this as a 14 year old I was adamant to do it with the S15 Silvia Spec R (J) with the NSX AI for the ultimate challenge failed twice and won it on 3rd attempt, probably easy for me to do now,not sure but that was one of my favourite GT moments.

1st win was with the Camaro SS with the 350z concept as the main rival, I did that first attempt.

One thing we can consider is: To run with normal cars there are certain possibilities to either use one of the ones that appear from the event, or to run with a weaker one challenging yourself. But thinking more deeply there are people who are not so skilled in the GT3, so they decide to use cars faster, among cars that do not give a big advantage can be cars above 330hp, and have little weight, such as a TVR Tuscan Speed 6 (if you don't have anything against that brand) or use the XJ220 as the user on the previous page and say that you cheat. And a fact that you must consider is the loss of power of your car since there are 10 races with 20 laps each, which can make the races above the fifth most difficult. There is also the possibility of using any type of tire (such as terra rally tires) to be challenging use sport tires and others use racing tires. I'm not creating any discussions but I'm leaving my opinion on the Polyphony Digital Cup. I also think about running this championship because I didn't have much desire and time to race but one day I will and I will study which car to use.

For little to no challenge:

Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car
Toyota GT-ONE Road Car
Jaguar XJ220
Lotus Esprit
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper GTS
TVR Tuscan Speed 6
Honda NSX Type S Zero
Pagani Zondas

For a good challenge:

Nissan Skyline R32 or R33 GT-R
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V-VII GSRs
Lotus Elise Sport 190
Chevrolet Camaro SS or Z28
Honda S2000
Tommykaira ZZ-S

All cars in the good challenge category are on T3-T5 tires.

Last edited:
For little to no challenge:

Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car
Toyota GT-ONE Road Car
Jaguar XJ220
Lotus Esprit
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper GTS
TVR Tuscan Speed 6
Honda NSX Type S Zero
Pagani Zondas

For a good challenge:

Nissan Skyline R32 or R33 GT-R
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V-VII GSRs
Lotus Elise Sport 190
Chevrolet Camaro SS or Z28
Honda S2000
Tommykaira ZZ-S

Interesting. What about the use of tires, which ones to use?

I was doing some tests, first with the Skyline R32, the Corvette Z06 appeared :nervous:, he may be one of the biggest rivals but he has problems with excessive tire wear having to stop every 2 laps is strange as he opens a big advantage in the first two laps in relation to other opponents :confused:, other cars to be added to the list of cars without competitiveness are those of Ruf, mainly the RGT and CTR2, they are also cars that cost 100,000Cr. and 400,000 Cr. with a good advantage of power and weight.

Last edited:
As a rotary lover and RX-7 enthusiast I'm point blank taking a 2000 Mazda RX-7 RZ for this race.. the green one you win from one of the events(I forgot which.. maybe the Amateur FR event??) Either that or an Impreza.

As a rotary lover and RX-7 enthusiast I'm point blank taking a 2000 Mazda RX-7 RZ for this race.. the green one you win from one of the events(I forgot which.. maybe the Amateur FR event??) Either that or an Impreza.

The RX-7 Type RZ in the special green color you get at Japan Championship on Amateur Events, the RX-7 Type RZ and Impreza can be great cars for the championship, I would think about running with the Impreza 22B, this is the lightest of them.

But the RX-7 can be a little more unbalanced compared to its opponents, even using the T1 Sports tires, if you wanted a little challenge you may be lucky enough to have the Skyline R34 and the NSX Type S Zero appear, Impreza 22B it is a car more balanced with competition using sports tires, the NSX Type S Zero and the Skyline R34 are very interesting opponents, if appearing both can be more challenging, I recommend buying at least the T3 Slick Tire to have a card up your sleeve if things happen get more "tight" from the fourth race due to loss of power by not changing the oil.

In a test I did with the Impreza on the Toyko R246 II the following cars appeared:
1st Corvette Z06
2nd Corvette Grand Sport
3rd Skyline R34 V-Spec II
4th Mustang SVT Cobra R
5th NSX Type S Zero
6th Subaru Impreza 22B (Which one I used)

Both the Corvette Z06 and the Corvette Grand Sport stop every 2 laps, leaving only the Skyline and the NSX as more comparable opponents to Impreza.
Detail: On the R246 Reverse, the A.I of the opponents hit the wall in several places on the track.

I will test with another impreza at another time.

Last edited:
I'm used to driving RX-7's that he handling is perfect for me. I used to like to do these stock car comparison laptime tests with production cars. The thing is that my RX-7 RZ would pull better laptimes around Laguna Seca than my R34 V Spec and NSX Type S Zero but by only a second or so. The car is really balanced imho.

Thanks for running these tests! By the way what are your favorite cars in this game?

I'm used to driving RX-7's that he handling is perfect for me. I used to like to do these stock car comparison laptime tests with production cars. The thing is that my RX-7 RZ would pull better laptimes around Laguna Seca than my R34 V Spec and NSX Type S Zero but by only a second or so. The car is really balanced imho.

Thanks for running these tests! By the way what are your favorite cars in this game?

I like several cars in Gran Turismo 3 but one in particular is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII RS, when I first played Gran Turismo 3 10 years ago I was looking for a Lancer Evolution to run the Lancer Metting Beginner / Amateur I chose it because it is one of the cheapest and because it is lighter than the GSR version, since then I used this car to run twice the 2 Hour Endurance of Trial Mountain and run the rally events against cars made for rally, by the way it could be a good car for the Polyphony Digital Cup, I need to do some tests with it.

I've done it twice with the Speed 12. It shatters everything with Super Slicks. First and second gear seem a bit lowsy, but 3rd onward just shoots forward like a rocket. Can easily lap every car at least 3 times before finishing each race.

I've done it twice with the Speed 12. It shatters everything with Super Slicks. First and second gear seem a bit lowsy, but 3rd onward just shoots forward like a rocket. Can easily lap every car at least 3 times before finishing each race.
Toyota GT-One Road Car (won from GT World Championship Amateur League).
Both of these are total overkill. It's going to take a couple hours to run through this series no matter what. Why not make it entertaining instead of a blowout?

I won the PD Cup in a Mustang Cobra R and had fun doing it. Search the GT3 writeups board for my story about it. I think I did it another time in one of the Evos.

Back