Best Drifting Technique

• Thread starter amartya
  • 109 comments
Aint got no PS3
R U kidding me?? a XBOX!! nOO
I saw a few threads with best drifting car, and best drifting track, but didn't find a similar thing about techniques....

i am new to drifting, and would like to know what most people prefer....

easiest way to drift is 'Powerover' which is basically going through a corner as tight as you can then once you have exited the corner simply step on the accelarator and if your car has enough power the rear wheels will spin and cause th back end of your car to step out and you should then counter steer to stop the car from spinning.

if you would like some more help feel free to drop me a PM by clicking my Username.

:)

easiest way to drift is 'Powerover' which is basically going through a corner as tight as you can then once you have exited the corner simply step on the accelarator and if your car has enough power the rear wheels will spin and cause th back end of your car to step out and you should then counter steer to stop the car from spinning.

if you would like some more help feel free to drop me a PM by clicking my Username.

:)

thanks for the tips,
i tried that in a monaro, on motorland, it worked quite well...

Any really. Its not the technique you use its the speed/line/angle/smoke is what your looking for sometimes. But sometimes, it takes a combination of techniques to achieve all that. I don't think we can do shift lock in GT4.

Any really. Its not the technique you use its the speed/line/angle/smoke is what your looking for sometimes. But sometimes, it takes a combination of techniques to achieve all that. I don't think we can do shift lock in GT4.
i saw a few threads with that debate....i think i agree that there is no shift locking achievable in gt4, but thanks for the tips....

by the way, how can you make the tires smoke more??

i saw a few threads with that debate....i think i agree that there is no shift locking achievable in gt4, but thanks for the tips....

by the way, how can you make the tires smoke more??

More angle. But the smoke was much more prominent in GT3 then in GT4.

More angle. But the smoke was much more prominent in GT3 then in GT4.
oh right, thanks...

by the way swift, i have a nissan skyline GT-R, which i often use to drift by powering over. I usually drift without too much counter steering, and the skyline is good at that, but how do i increase the angle when i am doing power over, or do i have to use a different technique?

oh right, thanks...

by the way swift, i have a nissan skyline GT-R, which i often use to drift by powering over. I usually drift without too much counter steering, and the skyline is good at that, but how do i increase the angle when i am doing power over, or do i have to use a different technique?

Well ,that's an AWD car. So the rules are a littel different then for FR. I would say try a very soft feint or breaking drift(a little harder). This should get your angle higher as it's a more aggressive entry into a drift.

BTW, you're correct with the limited countersteer. AWD only needs countersteer on entry(maybe) and on exit.

Well ,that's an AWD car. So the rules are a littel different then for FR. I would say try a very soft feint or breaking drift(a little harder). This should get your angle higher as it's a more aggressive entry into a drift.

BTW, you're correct with the limited countersteer. AWD only needs countersteer on entry(maybe) and on exit.
Before the physics changed, we really didn't need the countersteer at all but the exit. F.I always showed a great example or was it Thio.

Last edited:
ForcedInuction. and he DID use counter steer at exit. But he use zero-countersteer for the rest of the drift. It was really fun to watch. Well, at least I'm pretty sure he use CS for the exit. :)

Where can i find videos of Forced Induction's drifting, it might help me with drifting around tighter corners, for which, the power over is not the most effective, but it is he most fun

ForcedInduction's video thread
The Best of the Best
Thio vs ForcedInduction

I believe that was Thio's video.

Edit: Delphic Reason made acouple of videos for GT3 about AWD drifting. Swift, I thought you would of had those videos. is IDM still up?

Before it was Monkey D and now its IDM

I miss those times, I really wished that I was more active at the time. Though I had PDR but I lost those videos.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to question you nk4e, but wouldn't it be more useful to show a GT4 drift video? After all, it is a known fact that drifting is easier (or so people say, never really had the chance to test GT3 myself) in GT3 than GT4 ;)

I'm sorry to question you nk4e, but wouldn't it be more useful to show a GT4 drift video? After all, it is a known fact that drifting is easier (or so people say, never really had the chance to test GT3 myself) in GT3 than GT4 ;)
It would be easier, though in memory lane. I wanted to show how Zero Counter Steer worked. I used it many times before but I have ceased to try. Most of Thio's, Forced Induction, Monkey D, or the Best of the Best in Gt3 was it show it. But You can question me all you want. I think I got carried away with the videos though. The lines are the same in GT3 as in 4, I use to say that GT4 is just an upgraded 3.

I understand now. Although this may mean nothing, I feel I have the need to post it. Some Skyline's R34 are easy to drift with N-tires stock. The Skyline R34 N1 comes in mind when I say this, mainly because it was one of the few I drifted stock in Arcade Mode, just for fun. One interest fact is that I used counter steer the entire sweeper of Apricot Hill, thus turning Swift's theory on 4WD false. No mean to question you Swift either :lol:

I understand now. Although this may mean nothing, I feel I have the need to post it. Some Skyline's R34 are easy to drift with N-tires stock. The Skyline R34 N1 comes in mind when I say this, mainly because it was one of the few I drifted stock in Arcade Mode, just for fun. One interest fact is that I used counter steer the entire sweeper of Apricot Hill, thus turning Swift's theory on 4WD false. No mean to question you Swift either :lol:
Through certain testing/tuning skylines, though they weight heavier and tend to understeer at times of need, its the tires your using. if you try N3's its going to be harder. More Grip= more weight Transfer= trying to break traction. Sorry swift, I want to post this video.

thanks for that, i havn't tried drifting stock, my cars quite tuned up, but i havn't actually drifted around the sweeper of the apricot hill, i usually take it easy there, as it tends to understeer if i try anything too flashy....

i have countersteered very slightly at times, but that was mainly because i thought i had the angle wrong, or i was starting to run out of track....

i thing i must say though, is that usually counter steering on awd cars around 90 degree bends means snap-back, which is something i noticed in my '96 Impreza as well, while drifting on Motorland...

thanks nk4e for the videos, i see that u turn in, and then power over, or use a slight feint, i think u also used braking once or twice, but i see what u mean about countersteering (or the lack of it)

thanks again for the videos

thanks for that, i havn't tried drifting stock, my cars quite tuned up, but i havn't actually drifted around the sweeper of the apricot hill, i usually take it easy there, as it tends to understeer if i try anything too flashy....

i have countersteered very slightly at times, but that was mainly because i thought i had the angle wrong, or i was starting to run out of track....

i thing i must say though, is that usually counter steering on awd cars around 90 degree bends means snap-back, which is something i noticed in my '96 Impreza as well, while drifting on Motorland...
Try to remember this ( i think it works)
More Gas you give = More angle= Less counter steer, Vice versa.

Proper counter-steer is something hard to learn at first, but even when you already have the basics right, you can't hope to drift at 100% everytime. Even the best drifters at GTP can't drift at 100%, or so I would like to think :lol: But as they say, practice makes perfect. Through training, you will be able to increase your skill. I don't spend my time drifting in GT4, but when I do, I will drift around fifteen to twenty laps. That should give you an idea, but I've heard that the best drifters tend to drift for about two to three hours. I don't like drifting that much :lol:

EDIT: nk4e, I've seen than in certain situations, counter-steer increases your angle. Does that have any sense?

Proper counter-steer is something hard to learn at first, but even when you already have the basics right, you can't hope to drift at 100% everytime. Even the best drifters at GTP can't drift at 100%, or so I would like to think :lol: But as they say, practice makes perfect. Through training, you will be able to increase your skill. I don't spend my time drifting in GT4, but when I do, I will drift around fifteen to twenty laps. That should give you an idea, but I've heard that the best drifters tend to drift for about two to three hours. I don't like drifting that much :lol:

EDIT: nk4e, I've seen than in certain situations, counter-steer increases your angle. Does that have any sense?

i see what u mean,,
i usually drift for about half an hour....
i have been at it for about 3 months now...but a bit busy around now, so cant put in 100%....

yes, counter steering can actually increase the angle slightly, i have noticed it too

I would say practice for pros is like a hour or so. I use to practice for 30 minutes when ever something new came out or I imagined a new line at certain points and when I had the time to.
I believe in those certain situations is when Snap-back is in, when you hit the dirt or when you want to make a correction. I would have to pop in GT4 again soon.

i was thinking of introducing a poll in this post to see what is the best or most used drifting technique in GT4, what do you guys think about that, all opinions welcome

hmm, it does kind of suck that there's no clutch-kick button in GT4, that would make things much more easier in drifting..,

i was thinking of introducing a poll in this post to see what is the best or most used drifting technique in GT4, what do you guys think about that, all opinions welcome

you should change the title of this thread to "Which Drifting Technique do you like the most??" or something like that..,

- E-Brake
- Power Over
- Braking
- Feint
- Accel-Off

anymore techniques you people would like to include??

hmm, it does kind of suck that there's no clutch-kick button in GT4, that would make things much more easier in drifting..,

you should change the title of this thread to "Which Drifting Technique do you like the most??" or something like that..,

- E-Brake
- Power Over
- Braking
- Feint
- Accel-Off

anymore techniques you people would like to include??

thanks, i'll do that straight away..., and give you guys a week to come up with all the different methods, and then bring in the pole

thnx a lot nk4e for that video
but i think i'll leave out shift-lock, and i shall rename side, to e-brake

Back