Best Drifting Technique

• Thread starter amartya
  • 109 comments
yea i know what you mean, i'm just saying if i can drift with the audi because i put a LSD in is and changed the power to the REAR.
i know that i need skills, i dont have them but i know, but can the car drift?

depends on how you set up the LSD, VCD, suspension, etc. you set them wrong, you ain't drifting.

last off-topic post (hopefully) ;)

you need a flash drive if you're going to take pictures from GT4 and put them on your PC.., you can take pictures from either saved replays or Photomode..,

next, you need an image-hosting website on where you can upload the pictures (I recommend Photobucket). create an account there, don't worry it's free. :)

after verification of your account, start uploading your pics! :D after uploading, create a new thread over on the GT4 Photo & Video Galleries forum. to post your pics, copy the IMG code and paste it on your post.

there, hope that covers all of it.

* edit - something tells me you're new to GT4. are you??

last off-topic post (hopefully) ;)

you need a flash drive if you're going to take pictures from GT4 and put them on your PC.., you can take pictures from either saved replays or Photomode..,

next, you need an image-hosting website on where you can upload the pictures (I recommend Photobucket). create an account there, don't worry it's free. :)

after verification of your account, start uploading your pics! :D after uploading, create a new thread over on the GT4 Photo & Video Galleries forum. to post your pics, copy the IMG code and paste it on your post.

there, hope that covers all of it.

* edit - something tells me you're new to GT4. are you??

i have the game a long time, bij im very new on this forum

gt active, i suggest (like nk has already done at least twice) read the drift guides, especially the fr guide by boundarylayer.....
it is good, and i learnt most of what i know from there, it is good to get the initial idea of drifting....

and no offence, bt strictly speaking this is a thread on drifting techniques, and not on car tuning or how to post videos....sorry, but i would prefer a clean thread for easyness of usage by other users....

thanks

gt active, i suggest (like nk has already done at least twice) read the drift guides, especially the fr guide by boundarylayer.....
it is good, and i learnt most of what i know from there, it is good to get the initial idea of drifting....
hey man! I was in on that too!:sly:

and no offence, bt strictly speaking this is a thread on drifting techniques, and not on car tuning or how to post videos....sorry, but i would prefer a clean thread for easyness of usage by other users....

thanks

Very well said. 👍

So, who else is confused on the best technique for a specific situation?

hey man! I was in on that too!:sly:

Very well said. 👍

So, who else is confused on the best technique for a specific situation?

oh, me! me! :D

I'm having a problem drifting on Motorland, because the corners there are quite slow, and I'm usedto high-speed drifting.., can someone teach me the best techniques for the sweeper at the beginning??

I would say, try to find a course with a similar line or at least corners. Otherwise, try something and if that doesn't work. Try something else. Rinse,wash, and repeat.

When doing the slow corners I've found that feinting is an excellent technique. Well, feinintng is good for just about all corners. But I've found that in slow corners it helps to keep the momentum going. Feinting is a bit of an advanced technique and will take a good amount of practice to get down. But once you get it, you may never need your brake to drift again. :D

Scandinavian flick FTW :D oh, and throttle control helps too.. and forced weight shift or shift lock does wonders too.

can you believe this! my car ( HKS Nissan silvia )tuned, can only reach 246 km/p it even can't reach 250.
if i am by 246km/p it drops back to 220 or something like that, but it can drift i just need to practice but this car isn't fast and can't race on a long road. strange:S

drifting 247, what car are you using on Motorland, i used a (very over powered) Nissan gtr (r34) and it drifted through all the corners fine.
I even managed to link up a few in true drfting fashion. i mainly used power over and an occasional scandanavian flick.

can you believe this! my car ( HKS Nissan silvia )tuned, can only reach 246 km/p it even can't reach 250.
if i am by 246km/p it drops back to 220 or something like that, but it can drift i just need to practice but this car isn't fast and can't race on a long road. strange:S

Uh, GT Active, 246 Km/h is about 152mph. That's more then fast enough for anykind of drifting you need to do. I'm really trying to figure out what it is you're looking for in a car. You HKS is more then fast enough. now, its got a very sport tuned and NOT drifter friendly suspension setup(if it's the one I'm thinking of) so that could be more of a cause for your problem then engine power.

Uh, GT Active, 246 Km/h is about 152mph. That's more then fast enough for anykind of drifting you need to do. I'm really trying to figure out what it is you're looking for in a car. You HKS is more then fast enough. now, its got a very sport tuned and NOT drifter friendly suspension setup(if it's the one I'm thinking of) so that could be more of a cause for your problem then engine power.

Very good point, you probably never need anymore speed for drfting, cause even in the very high speed drifts, (test track ???) you can't really pull 152 while drifting, if however you are looking for a multipurpose car which drifts, and does straights, that can require some very advanced tuning...

If I recall, the car is tuned with very close gears, which may be the reason you lack top speed. It just need some tuning, but as Swift an amartya have said, why would you want more speed? After all, it is supposed to be a drifter. There are better cars for top speed.

I would say, try to find a course with a similar line or at least corners. Otherwise, try something and if that doesn't work. Try something else. Rinse,wash, and repeat.

When doing the slow corners I've found that feinting is an excellent technique. Well, feinintng is good for just about all corners. But I've found that in slow corners it helps to keep the momentum going. Feinting is a bit of an advanced technique and will take a good amount of practice to get down. But once you get it, you may never need your brake to drift again. :D

well yeah, I use feinting a lot when I drift low-powered cars (Cappuccino makes a good example), but that's on Trial Mountain. Somehow, I can start the drift but I can't sustain it. I'm losing it halfway or more than halfway through the drift..,

Scandinavian flick FTW :D oh, and throttle control helps too.. and forced weight shift or shift lock does wonders too.

what's Scandinavian flick?? Of course, throttle control is very essential in drifting..,

off-topic: what's FTW??

drifting 247, what car are you using on Motorland, i used a (very over powered) Nissan gtr (r34) and it drifted through all the corners fine.
I even managed to link up a few in true drfting fashion. i mainly used power over and an occasional scandanavian flick.

I'm using a Toyota MR2 G-Limited SW20, the one in my garage (see sig).., I'm trying to use Initial D setups, you know, where the power level is occasional around 350hp and below..,

maybe because the gear ratios are too short?? try to adjust them if you want more top speed, but be careful, the behavior of the car will change if you lengthen the gears, you may not be able to drift before like you used to..,

he wants an all-purpose car. It drifts when he wants it to and grips when he wants it to.

Very good point, you probably never need anymore speed for drfting, cause even in the very high speed drifts, (test track ???) you can't really pull 152 while drifting, if however you are looking for a multipurpose car which drifts, and does straights, that can require some very advanced tuning...

*nods head in agreement*

well yeah, I use feinting a lot when I drift low-powered cars (Cappuccino makes a good example), but that's on Trial Mountain. Somehow, I can start the drift but I can't sustain it. I'm losing it halfway or more than halfway through the drift..,
Then it's either throttle control(most likely) or you LSD setup. I'm guessing it's throttle control though. That's the MOST important thing on long corners.

BTW, long wide corners off of high-speed straights are usally the most difficult. So don't think that you suck or anything. :sly:

off-topic: what's FTW??
For The Win

I'm using a Toyota MR2 G-Limited SW20, the one in my garage (see sig).., I'm trying to use Initial D setups, you know, where the power level is occasional around 350hp and below..,
I would say go with a traditional setup and really learn how to drift. Then drift all the fun setups/cars you want to. :)

he wants an all-purpose car. It drifts when he wants it to and grips when he wants it to.
If a car is tuned correctly it can do both, but there's a very fine line.

Scandinavian flick, is also called Manji Drift. The Scandinavian flick was a technique that was developed in WRC
The Scandinavian flick, Finnish flick, Manji Drifting, or Pendulum turn, is a technique used in rallying. While approaching the turn the driver applies a slight steering input to the opposite direction of the turn, then steering into the turn, while sharply lifting off the throttle and (in some cases, depending on speed and type of layout) lightly applying the brakes. This will cause the car to slide sideways facing slightly away from the turn. Then steering input is applied towards the turn and as the driver releases the brake pedal while still holding down the throttle the car will slingshot itself around the corner to the desired direction. Of course, countersteering will again be required to control the induced oversteer. A recent research paper [1] initiates a mathematical analysis of this technique.

This technique is used to help the driver get around corners that have an increasing radius, but it is also used as a show off as the result of the flick involves the car oversteering heavily.

This technique is explained and demonstrated

ahh I see, so Scandinavian flick and Manji Drift are the same.., I know what Manji Drift is..,

@ Swift - so, you think it's the LSD? well, I'm not pertaining to Trial Mountain, but to Motorland. The long first sweeper is right after a low-speed straight, so i really find it very hard to sustain the drift once I get there.., well yeah, I tried my full drift setup RX-7 FD (around 333hp with full suspension/handling tune), works great on there, but my MR2 sort of doesn't..,

ahh I see, so Scandinavian flick and Manji Drift are the same.., I know what Manji Drift is..,

@ Swift - so, you think it's the LSD? well, I'm not pertaining to Trial Mountain, but to Motorland. The long first sweeper is right after a low-speed straight, so i really find it very hard to sustain the drift once I get there.., well yeah, I tried my full drift setup RX-7 FD (around 333hp with full suspension/handling tune), works great on there, but my MR2 sort of doesn't..,

well of course. :) totally different car. Especially when it comes to weight. So you'll have to find a way to keep your momentum. And yes, it very easily could be the LSD since you're able to do it in a different car.

well of course. :) totally different car. Especially when it comes to weight. So you'll have to find a way to keep your momentum. And yes, it very easily could be the LSD since you're able to do it in a different car.

well I am using a 2-way LSD on the MR2.., think I should switch to the FC??

well I am using a 2-way LSD on the MR2.., think I should switch to the FC??

I've actually found that if you're not using a FC LSD that the 1.5 works better for drifting. But that's just my personal experience. It what I did before I earned decent money. :sly:

I've actually found that if you're not using a FC LSD that the 1.5 works better for drifting. But that's just my personal experience. It what I did before I earned decent money. :sly:

oh, I see.., thanks for the suggestion, will try it out later..,

Back to the counter steering theory, i tried drifting the wonderful Nismo 540R done by the R.V.V motor works....and i found myself using quite a lot of countersteer in some of the corners on trial mountain, and i tried the same corner at roughly the same speed using a very basic power over technique, by just flooring the car out of a corner, and i didn't need any counter steer then.....
So i tried it again in a few other awd cars, and conclusion is that if you utilise the e-brake, countersteer is needed, but for power overs, no counter steer.....Please correct me if i am mistaken

Back to the counter steering theory, i tried drifting the wonderful Nismo 540R done by the R.V.V motor works....and i found myself using quite a lot of countersteer in some of the corners on trial mountain, and i tried the same corner at roughly the same speed using a very basic power over technique, by just flooring the car out of a corner, and i didn't need any counter steer then.....
So i tried it again in a few other awd cars, and conclusion is that if you utilise the e-brake, countersteer is needed, but for power overs, no counter steer.....Please correct me if i am mistaken

In AWD drifting almost never "need" counter steer mid drift. So that's normal. CS is usually needed at the exit of a drift though.

Also, if you're just flooring it out of a corner, are you drifting they entire corner? Entrance to exit? If not I would try to starrt doing that. :)

In AWD drifting almost never "need" counter steer mid drift. So that's normal. CS is usually needed at the exit of a drift though.

Also, if you're just flooring it out of a corner, are you drifting they entire corner? Entrance to exit? If not I would try to starrt doing that. :)
I think that is a good point, at the moment i am slowing down, going half way through the turn, and then stepping on it kicking out the rear on the exit, and then straightening (i have no idea how you spell it)...

Yeah, try to get the drift going as you enter the corner. this will help you develop technque more quickly and look a lot better. :D

Back