Best Drifting Technique

• Thread starter amartya
  • 109 comments
Drift Session.com
Heel Toe Shifting
Learn proper race shifting to get your car into the right gear for drifting. Section also includes double clutch shifting so you can downshift before drifting without blowing out your transmission too quickly.

Power Over Drift
A throttle induced drift, this is performed when entering a corner and using the accelerator to slip the rear wheels, producing heavy oversteer through the turn. You will often need lots of horsepower to make this happen.

E-Brake Drift
This drifting technique is very basic, pull the E-Brake or side brake to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. This can also be used to correct errors or fine tune drift angles. Main drift technique used in FWD vehicles, however since it does decrease speeds, e-brake drifting is looked down upon during solo (tansou) type drifting competition.

Clutch Kick Drift
This drifting technique is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during turn in to a corner. The clutch is "popped" to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction, causing the power wheels to slip. Drifting is maintained by balancing the throttle.

Shift Lock Drift
This is performed by letting the revs drop on downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. This is like pulling the E-brake through a turn, but this should be performed on wet ground to minimize damage to the driveline. Similar drifting technique to Clutch Kicking.

Dirt Drop Drift
This is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn. This technique is very useful for low horsepower cars. Do not attempt this technique at the Drift Session.

Feint Drift
This is performed by rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of the vehicle's suspension to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. This is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering.

Jump Drift
In this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a curb to lose traction resulting in over steer. Do not attempt this technique at the Drift Session.

Braking Drift
This is performed by trail braking into a corner. Loss of grip is obtained and then balanced through steering and throttle motions. This is mainly for medium to low speed corners.

Kansei Drift (Inertia Drift)
This is performed at race speeds. When entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle to induce a mild oversteer and then balances the drift through steering and throttle motions. The car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the oversteer will induce itself. If the car plows through any turn this technique will not work.

Long Slide Drift
This is done by pulling the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and to hold this to set up for the turn ahead. This technique can only be done at high speed.

Swaying Drift (Manji Drift)
This is a slow side-to-side faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.
There is all the techniques and saying NK is just fine. Please remember to follow the AUP 👍

thanks, nk, that is the best descriptions i have seen so far....
if what i am thinking is right, then heel toe-ing, shift-locking, and clutch kicking cannot be done as it is in real life, so i shall leave those out....but thanks again, i didn't even know some of the ones on the list....
i think i shall launch the poll pretty soon as i think there aren't any more techniques......
happy poling everyone...

easiest way to drift is 'Powerover' which is basically going through a corner as tight as you can then once you have exited the corner simply step on the accelarator and if your car has enough power the rear wheels will spin and cause th back end of your car to step out and you should then counter steer to stop the car from spinning.

if you would like some more help feel free to drop me a PM by clicking my Username.

:)
Hey, i have a (Option Stream Z 04) nissan 350z but it don't work to drift. that car hast 916 HP, ik think thats good for drifting please help me:indiff:

Hey, i have a (Option Stream Z 04) nissan 350z but it don't work to drift. that car hast 916 HP, ik think thats good for drifting please help me:indiff:

try going to the settings garage, and see if there is a drift setting available for your car....thats the best way i think....

916hp is WAAAAAYY to much for drifting :crazy::crazy: .., and besides, the Option Stream Z is built for DRAG racing, not drifting..,

Really? I would have to play with it soon if I actually pop in GT4.

.................whaaaaat??? you're addicted to drifting, yet you don't know that 916hp is way too much for drifting? :odd: that's unexpected coming from you.., :confused:

how much HP do i need to drift?

that depends.., you don't just need engine power and torque to drift, you need a proper setup.., suspension, LSD, transmission, the usual.., oh I almost forgot, you need MAD SKILLZ, lots of 'em if you know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
how much HP do i need to drift?

More for AWD then FR. But in all honesty, most decent sports cars in the game can drift with stock power. Some just need a 20hp boost or so.

As stated before, power is not the most essential thing to drifting(in GT4). suspension and LSD setup are as if not more important then power.

Last edited:
GTactive i think that for a 350 z you need no more than 350-375 hp for drfting...i used to have one, and i think 400 is the absolute max in terms of power

GTactive i think that for a 350 z you need no more than 350-375 hp for drfting...i used to have one, and i think 400 is the absolute max in terms of power

what do you mean, my option stream z has 916 hp. does my car needs maximum 400hp for good at Drifting?:crazy:

can i drift with a bmw m3? its has a little mora than 400hp, or a bmw m3 GTR (not tuned) that car has 380hp or something like that.
but... do i need to buy all the best breakes? and tyres?
because i know how to drift but i can't keep my cars onder control.

Basically the rule of drifting is breaking the rear traction to get it sideways. You don't need the best stuff. Watching The Drift Bible may help alot.

First, you need to control a car that would be under that amount. Lower the HP, harder it is to control. I suggest you follow or at least read our stickies.FR drift Guide

I do know though you said it was a drag car, drifting24.

the Option Stream Z IS a drag car..,

what do you mean, my option stream z has 916 hp. does my car needs maximum 400hp for good at Drifting?:crazy:

not really. I have a Suzuki Cappuccino EA11R, max power is around 132hp.., you know the long, round sweeper at Trial Mountain?? cute little bugger can drift the whole darn thing.., :D

I use a controller. But get a Wheel for more control.
GTActive, lesson one : Power isn't everything.

Amen to that. 👍

yes but if you have no power enough, you cant take that corner. and you need strange skills:sly: like you all have.

There is always weight shifting to get the weight to break the traction.

Another amen to that.

can i drift with a bmw m3? its has a little mora than 400hp, or a bmw m3 GTR (not tuned) that car has 380hp or something like that.
but... do i need to buy all the best breakes? and tyres?
because i know how to drift but i can't keep my cars onder control.

yes you can drift a BMW M3. the stock power level is already good IMO, but if you want some extra punch then be my guest..,

Standard Tires, preferably the N3 Tires are the best choice for drifting.

yea i know how to drift but to keep my bmw in control, thats the question.
the brakes don't work good either, it takes to much.

are you controlling the throttle and countersteer when you get into the drift??

brakes don't really help you stabilize the drift.., rather they end the drift..,

but i need a car what does not stop at 250km/p thats to slow, i need 1 car that good on the road and can reach 280-300km/p

you need a car that reaches 300km/h and can still drift? hmm, that's a tough one..,

and the audi rs 6 2002? 599hp.
can i maybe drift with that? if i put the good parts on it?

by good parts, what do you mean??

I don't think you can just put on parts and drift, you have to adjust settings.., like I said, proper setup and skills are the key to drifting. Just bolting on parts and relying on power will do you no good.

* edit - well, what you did was right, transfer 90% of the power to the rear wheels.., but how about other settings?? hmm, maybe we should discuss this matter over on the GT4 Car Tuning and Settings forum..,

Last edited:
yes i know but i'm just asking if that car can drift i change some part to more power to rear.
i know i need skills i dont have them you have i know but i dont have a good car for drifting so i dont know

Back