Best Drifting Technique

• Thread starter amartya
  • 109 comments
Yeah, try to get the drift going as you enter the corner. this will help you develop technque more quickly and look a lot better. :D
I tried linking up the drifts in between corners, I think i managed a couple of times, but it wasn't really that good....any tips on that front??

I tried linking up the drifts in between corners, I think i managed a couple of times, but it wasn't really that good....any tips on that front??

Yep, throttle control. Linking corners is all about throttle control. Waht corners are you talking about?

Yep, throttle control. Linking corners is all about throttle control. Waht corners are you talking about?

Its in between the first Tunnel hairpin, and the next sharp turn after it...i thought that was a good point to start, as i managed it a few times, and another one when you get out of a tunnel into the rocky parts, where there is a left and then a right

Both in Trial Mountain Straight

EDIT i meant trial mountain forwards

OK, I think a better oppurtunity would be in Deep forest going down the hill. You'
ll know what I mean when you see it. Those corners are a little maore agreeable to linking since they are going down hill and the stretch isn't too far between them. When you get really good, you can link the whole darn thing! 👍

OK, I think a better oppurtunity would be in Deep forest going down the hill. You'
ll know what I mean when you see it. Those corners are a little maore agreeable to linking since they are going down hill and the stretch isn't too far between them. When you get really good, you can link the whole darn thing! 👍

ok...i'll try that see where i get in the mean time, trying to tune up a MX5 for drifting...so i'll be off

reached 1000 views, so thought i would revive it a bit. From my experience, I prefer to feint on sharp hairpins, e-brake on 90 degree turns, and power over on long sweepers. any one thinks i can improve, please comment

reached 1000 views, so thought i would revive it a bit. From my experience, I prefer to feint on sharp hairpins, e-brake on 90 degree turns, and power over on long sweepers. any one thinks i can improve, please comment

exactly the same kind of technique i use :)

and hey your from cambridge too? unless thats american cambridge

I tried uploading Our GT3 Drift bible, to show you guys what the majority of players learned from and somewhat a technique description from our very own Shadow Drifter. Though youtube has rejected it.

I tried uploading Our GT3 Drift bible, to show you guys what the majority of players learned from and somewhat a technique description from our very own Shadow Drifter. Though youtube has rejected it.

Thanks for trying, i have seen bits of the Drift bible, but never the whole thing. its a pity Youtube rejected it.
have you got any videos of you drifting yourself on youtube, and if so what is your username???(to help me find the right one)

Need a bit of help with drifting on trial mountain, (one of my faves) I have a impreza '96 which i tuned up myself for "no understeer" not sure how well that went, (you can check it out in my tuning garage) but it does oversteer reasonably well, (a bit of feinting required) and i seem to be able to drift most of the track, apart from the S-turns after the second tunnel (when on Normal direction).
I always seem to get the apex on the first corner, and then understeer way out wide on the next corner, is it me, my car, or a combination, i know not, but any help greatly appreciated.

AS in all linking, it's all about your line. In all honesty that's a somewhat tough part for me just becausee I usually end up drifting on the right hand turn. But anyway...

If you're understeering wide in teh second turn then start your drift a bit earlier on the first. That should give you some more adjustment room. Remember, when linking multiple corners it isn't always ideal to have the "perfect line" for each corner. Since the perfect exit for one could be a bad entry for the next. :)

AS in all linking, it's all about your line. In all honesty that's a somewhat tough part for me just becausee I usually end up drifting on the right hand turn. But anyway...

If you're understeering wide in teh second turn then start your drift a bit earlier on the first. That should give you some more adjustment room. Remember, when linking multiple corners it isn't always ideal to have the "perfect line" for each corner. Since the perfect exit for one could be a bad entry for the next. :)

Thanks swift for that, i made it with some hard work, and i have pictures of the whole lap to prove, (except i havn't got a memory drive) and i see what you mean by the perfect exit to one corner, can be disastrous to the next, that was sort of whats happening, so i took a completely different line, sticking to the middle instead, and i made it, so theres a tip for learners, and willing conquerors of S-Bend drifts, just dont go too far away from the middle.

Thanks swift for that, i made it with some hard work, and i have pictures of the whole lap to prove, (except i havn't got a memory drive) and i see what you mean by the perfect exit to one corner, can be disastrous to the next, that was sort of whats happening, so i took a completely different line, sticking to the middle instead, and i made it, so theres a tip for learners, and willing conquerors of S-Bend drifts, just dont go too far away from the middle.

Yep, and usually the intital drift in a series is shorter then a "normal" drift would be. That of course does depend if you're doing S's or C's. If you're doing C's(a double right or doruble left link) then you want to go long on the intital drift to be able to make the next corner.

Couldn't Entry Speed effect the outcome of your line in the S turn?

Of course. But how you exit the first corner will dictate how you "can" handle the second or third.

Back