Best Setting for 3D

• Thread starter Yauw0w
  • 34 comments
Canada
Canada
yaulaiw0w
I am using the playstation 3D display. There are crossfades no matter what setting I use. It goes worst when playing at night.

I am using the playstation 3D display. There are crossfades no matter what setting I use. It goes worst when playing at night.
The most important factor here is your TV. Crosstalk is more visible on LCD/LED TV. PLASMA and OLED TV are really better for 3D.

You can set your TV on the "Game Mode", it disables all the "Motion Rate Process" and see if it's better...

Last edited:
Lots of variables: the car, the track, the time of day, but yeah, your TV would be the biggest one. My plasma has zero crosstalk when in 24p/48kHz mode, but with 60kHz, it gets pretty bad, especially in games. To reduce crosstalk, but still keep some 3D effect, I usually had Parallax: 1, Convergence: 90 to 100 in GT5, and so far, it looks like that's where I'm headed in GT6. Yes, that extreme. Unfortunately, I highly doubt most people will be happy with this absurd setting, but I'm usually running with the HUD completely off and not really worrying about being extremely fast if I'm using 3D. The best advice that anyone can give you: experiment.

I will say, even though it's not quite a fair comparison, I'm pretty stunned with the framerate. In GT5, weather and a full field of 16 would choke the game. Now, we only get 10 cars in GT6, and the rain effects aren't as dynamic, but the framerate never dipped for me the entire time I was on the Nürburgring with sped-up time doing a full day-night cycle.

Apparently, the 3D settings for parallax and convergence are available straight from the PAUSE menu while driving, on the very bottom of the settings.

In GT5, you should exit the race and do the settings through OPTIONS menu.
Awesome, that was my only real complaint with the 3D in GT5.

I think that it depends on the size of your TV, and the distance between you and your TV. Maybe the it also differs among different TV models...

PS: the SONY HMZ T1/2/3 series have NO crosstalk:cheers:

So far from what I can tell the resolution took a huge hit with 3D on. I get jaggies all over the place and paints lines on the course are jagged and flickering. Frame rate seems good but the image reduction plus more subtle 3D effects from what I've seen so far make it a step down from GT5 3D and so far, not worth employing IMHO. A shame because I loved GT5 3D so much.

So far from what I can tell the resolution took a huge hit with 3D on. I get jaggies all over the place and paints lines on the course are jagged and flickering. Frame rate seems good but the image reduction plus more subtle 3D effects from what I've seen so far make it a step down from GT5 3D and so far, not worth employing IMHO. A shame because I loved GT5 3D so much.
^ This exactly.

Apparently, the 3D settings for parallax and convergence are available straight from the PAUSE menu while driving, on the very bottom of the settings.

In GT5, you should exit the race and do the settings through OPTIONS menu.
i didn't know that.... Thanks a lot!

i have a 3D tv and can only get gt6 to display top and bottom 3D, my tv has side by side 3D and top and bottom 3D and auto 3D, i have been waiting ages to play gt6 in 3D and still cant, i never had a problem on gt5 with 3D settings it done it automatically, hurry up PD and sort it.

I have the same set up as you, can you share your settings please?
And how far is your head from the screen? mine is about 1,5 mtr (60 inches)
thanks!

I'm using a 52" Sony at around 10ft and am using settings 7-8 for parallax and .15 for convergence.

As others have said, the best setting is one that works for your TV size, at your viewing distance, at your preference for effect.

Agree the jaggies are a lot worse than in GT5 (Flicker reduction mode helps a tiny bit) but otherwise the quality of the 3D seems far better (I used to get a lot of ghosting in menus etc in GT5).

On certain turns, I'm getting what I can only describe as a "screen door" effect. It's not very many turns, usually only 1 on any given track, but it happens pretty much every lap at that 1 turn. Anyone else experiencing it?

Edit: Using the Audi R8 LMS on Bathurst during the day, it was doing it through pretty much every corner of the first half of the circuit. I no longer noticed it when it turned to night.

OT: Damn, Bathurst is really pretty at night.

Last edited:
On certain turns, I'm getting what I can only describe as a "screen door" effect. It's not very many turns, usually only 1 on any given track, but it happens pretty much every lap at that 1 turn. Anyone else experiencing it?

Edit: Using the Audi R8 LMS on Bathurst during the day, it was doing it through pretty much every corner of the first half of the circuit. I no longer noticed it when it turned to night.

OT: Damn, Bathurst is really pretty at night.
Not sure what screen door effect is but I noticed vertical tears in corners. Maybe the same thing?

So, I updated to 1.06 but when I go to Options->Display I can't click on 3DTV. There's a red note behind it saying 'Currently Unavailable'. WTF?

You need to set your display settings to allow 3D. The only way this (apparently) works is by choosing the automatic setup.

I had that display for a while and had to replace it with something different. It's cheap, but unfortunately it's awful. The ghosting is totally unacceptable (but it does get slightly better after the display has warmed up for say 15 minutes or so). I had high hopes and even invested in tri-def to force PC games into stereoscopic mode (Skyrim looks amazing), but ghosting was always terrible in any game on any system... So I guess I'm saying that there really isn't much of a solution...

Also, don't get too excited, the 3D mode in GT6 looks like crap compared to GT5. A real low-resolution mess.

You need to set your display settings to allow 3D. The only way this (apparently) works is by choosing the automatic setup.
Yeah, I can't click on the option 3DTV, though. There's a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and the red note 'Currently Unavailable' next to it.
3D mode in GT5 isn't working either. But yesterday I read somewhere that you apparently need a high speed hdmi cable in order to display 3D, and I guess I don't have that. So I will get a HDMI 1.4/2.0 cable and see if it solves my issues.

Yeah, I can't click on the option 3DTV, though. There's a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and the red note 'Currently Unavailable' next to it.
3D mode in GT5 isn't working either. But yesterday I read somewhere that you apparently need a high speed hdmi cable in order to display 3D, and I guess I don't have that. So I will get a HDMI 1.4/2.0 cable and see if it solves my issues.

Were you by any chance been playing at 720p? If so you need to change your display setting of PS3 system. Set it to auto and it detects 3D if your display is compatible. I've been playing it on 720p and 3D option was grayed out.

I had that display for a while and had to replace it with something different. It's cheap, but unfortunately it's awful. The ghosting is totally unacceptable (but it does get slightly better after the display has warmed up for say 15 minutes or so). I had high hopes and even invested in tri-def to force PC games into stereoscopic mode (Skyrim looks amazing), but ghosting was always terrible in any game on any system... So I guess I'm saying that there really isn't much of a solution...

Also, don't get too excited, the 3D mode in GT6 looks like crap compared to GT5. A real low-resolution mess.
Ya I got it for like $99.

Were you by any chance been playing at 720p? If so you need to change your display setting of PS3 system. Set it to auto and it detects 3D if your display is compatible. I've been playing it on 720p and 3D option was grayed out.
It's on auto. System detected everything (720p, 1080i, 1080p, 720p 3D, 1080i 3D, 1080p 3D).
I really believe it's my HDMI cable as it is quite old (possibly 1.3 at most). HDMI 1.4/2.0 is in the mail. Tomorrow I'll be wiser.

Yikes, 3D looks yucky! The drop from 1440 to 720p is extremely noticeable and takes graphics back to only barely better than GT5.
Luckily my TV has a 2D-3D conversion mode so I can keep playing GT6 in 1440 3D!
Otherwise the drop in graphics quality is too severe to make it worth using 3D in my opinion.

Is it me or am i the only one where i got a red bold message with " Currently unavailable" :(
Dude, read the couple replies above yours. I have the same problem, but I think it's due to an incompatible HDMI cable. As far as I know you need a high speed HDMI 1.4 cable in order to display in 3D. What HDMI version are you using?

So far, GT6 3D has been both impressive and a bit disappointing;

The drop in overall graphical quality is awful but the new depth and sense of speed that the 3D option brings is BLOW MIND (btw, I only drive in Cockpit View and Bumper Cam)
With Chase(?) Cam and most cars and sceneries (while driving) still looked quite good and the 3D effect was actually pretty decent

I use an Optoma 3D W1 (DLP-Link) and my in game settings are;
Convergence 10 and Parallax 0.9

Some cars are unbelievably rendered (Re-Amemiya FD 3S, RedBull etc), Cockpit view looks ALMOST real (photorealistic).
But others (Ferrari FXX), cockpit view looks GODAWFUL...actually looks like a computer virus.

I did notice a form of visual "distortion". I vaguely remember another post about that. For me this distortion only happens in Cockpit view... I even thought that it was an attempt to recreate the blur of a curved windscreen because I only got it near the (in game's) windscreen edges.

My conclusion, a hotfix will probably be necessary because the 3D rendering is incomplete or flawed; the sheer perfection of some of the interiors compared to the wretched rendering of others leads me to HOPE so.

Good luck to all, I hope your 3D issues (at least) get sorted...

Salud!

Back