Best Steering Wheel on the Market for GTS?

• Thread starter GA 52
  • 216 comments
May I ask you guy's - can I use the pedals on my T-300 on my new T-GT?

T-GT wheel is realy a nice solid and compact piece of hardware but the pedals are *****. If you sell the pedals and buy some fanatecs+adapter you will have a great combo.
However your choice is. Fanatec or thrustmaster, both have good stuff to add or replace. Like rims, shifter, handbrakes.
Can you buy this (fanatec club sport pedals) separately?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed! It is not cheap. But as @Parker Lewis said, it can be found cheap(er) at times.

I visited Sydney last November. Beautiful place, but the prices were astounding.
Ah nice, glad you liked it.
If you think that's bad, then the house prices are astranomical.
Median house price in Sydney is 1mill+ AUD.
On the plus side, we do have free health care.

I think its even more galling in that the aud $1,299 TM goes up against the G29 which is under aud $300 - i get it... the G29 is subpar in 2018 but is it 1/4 as good?

Its more like Logitech have a decent office peripheral range that subsidises the G29 while Thrustmaster is ONLY a gaming peripheral company.

In contrast, the PS4 slim is like $300 and the game itself is $40 off the store which reflects global pricing.

You can see how $1,200 is quite a stretch, granted its as low as ~$1,100 elsewhere...

Have you updated the firmware for your T300?

I kept getting the pauses and screenshots mid online races with mine that I purchased in November of last year.

Updated the firmware a couple of months ago and haven't had an issue since.
Same here, updating the firmware solved the problem for me.

Aliens miss everytime threads about Wheels and Pedals...
May be it's the secret of their "alienitude"?????
:gtpflag:

Last edited:
I'm a bit faster in blue mode. I can feel the grip a little bit better. I think I’ve gained about .4 or .5 after changing it to blue mode. In race cars, don’t let it shake. Calibrate your input to the point where it almost starts shaking. You’re gonna lose less speed with almost the same turn in capability. If you need more turn in, you should use the brakes or gas to make small adjustments.

I am definitely much faster and more consistent with blue mode. I don't really get any rattling when understeering but I use the wheel at high FFB settings in-game which I think helps minimize that. For me the wheel doesn't rattle at all when understeering hard, it just gets a bit light like you would expect it to. I think people that run really low FFB settings have this effect exaggerated. I use Max Torque 9 and FFB Sensitivity 9.

I am definitely much faster and more consistent with blue mode. I don't really get any rattling when understeering but I use the wheel at high FFB settings in-game which I think helps minimize that. For me the wheel doesn't rattle at all when understeering hard, it just gets a bit light like you would expect it to. I think people that run really low FFB settings have this effect exaggerated. I use Max Torque 9 and FFB Sensitivity 9.

I bought the McLaren wheel and, I don’t know if it’s the wheel or the firmware update... or both... I’m getting a lot less rattling now.

I bought the McLaren wheel and, I don’t know if it’s the wheel or the firmware update... or both... I’m getting a lot less rattling now.
Firmware and possibly also the last Update from GTS!

Had the same problems. I bought the Fanatic CSl Elite. It is now supported by the game but still has some issues.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/csl-update-blue-mode.376687/

After one week with it I would say that the steering is not really better than with the T300RS(could be my settings), but the pedals are different class(load cell).

These issues are overrated (a lot)... I currently have no issues at all (with the last update from GTS were gone) ... and I have IT!!!! (Fanatec CSL ELite PS4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing a few comments about updating firmware on Thrustmasters, is this something that needs to be done when they release an update or something?

I think wheel and pedals are both very important to have the best performances...

having the same skills, a person driving with a T-GT and with fanatec pedals will be 1-2 seconds faster than one driving with a T-300 and its pedals...

I think wheel and pedals are both very important to have the best performances...

having the same skills, a person driving with a T-GT and with fanatec pedals will be 1-2 seconds faster than one driving with a T-300 and its pedals...
Ask mthomas, he doesn't even have a wheel :)

I don't get why that's the case to be honest. With the wheels, maybe because of force feedback, but pedals no not really (read: not at all). Sure heavier pedals and all can give you a better feel but it won't really make a person faster. And with the wheels, maybe the improved FFB will give the player more info on what's happening on the road, but it's still up for the player to interpret what that means, and a great player wouldn't need the additional info at all

Ask mthomas, he doesn't even have a wheel :)

I don't get why that's the case to be honest. With the wheels, maybe because of force feedback, but pedals no not really (read: not at all). Sure heavier pedals and all can give you a better feel but it won't really make a person faster. And with the wheels, maybe the improved FFB will give the player more info on what's happening on the road, but it's still up for the player to interpret what that means, and a great player wouldn't need the additional info at all
Indeed, i was talking about people with same skills...

Surely mthomas is the new "Neo" for "GTS-Matrix"... :D

Maybe it's better said like this: a person driving with a T-GT and with fanatec pedals will be 1-2 seconds faster than himself driving with a T-300 and its pedals... :P

Firmware for T-GT question. I can not find where to download latest firmware to my mac. All instructions I have found so far are for Windows only? Anybody? Thanks! Cheers.

Firmware for T-GT question. I can not find where to download latest firmware to my mac. All instructions I have found so far are for Windows only? Anybody? Thanks! Cheers.
Just throw your apple-toy out of window and buy a PC...

Sorry... i ate apple...

Yeah I just did mine this morning. I read somewhere you can download a “virtual machine” but was a bit technical for me so Just did it on the missus’ craptop

You do need an actual Windows system. I have a Mac and I tried updating the firmware using a Windows 10 VM running under Parallels and it did not work. Other VM applications (e.g. VirtualBox) may work, but I don't know.

You do need an actual Windows system. I have a Mac and I tried updating the firmware using a Windows 10 VM running under Parallels and it did not work. Other VM applications (e.g. VirtualBox) may work, but I don't know.

So I read, everyone who did it used VirtualBox but also said for what it’s worth, find a pal with windows and get them a few beers for it

For GTS, T-GT.
Any other racing simulation (either pc or ps4), also the T-GT, without a doubt.

It is by far the most superior wheel out there atm (excluding its pedals, they ain't what they're supposed to be imo).

A mate of mine who races in a GT3 Porsche 997 purchased a complete simulator worth about 10.000€ to practice at home.

- highend Alienware desktop pc
- Thrustmaster TGT wheel-base & sparco GT3 Porsche wheel.
- load cel pedals with the identical brake pressure as his very own Porsche 997
- big ass 4K TV
- racing seat
- the only thing this sim does not have are the g-forces when braking/cornering (bumps in the road etc can all be felt in the racing seat - I dunno what this mod is called in English).

I'll try to add a photo later on.

It is by far the most superior wheel out there atm (excluding its pedals, they ain't what they're supposed to be imo).
This is a very bold statement.It seems all the manufacturers that are developing Direct Drive wheels are wasting their time.

This is a very bold statement.It seems all the manufacturers that are developing Direct Drive wheels are wasting their time.

While I can't really comment on the boldness of the statement, it's wrong to assume that just because it's not direct drive it can't be a superbly good wheel.

I can say that the added effect of the 'depth feedback' (Thrustmaster calls it T-DFB) puts the TGT on another level in transmitting road, tire, and suspension interactions through the wheel and your driving rig. It's likely direct drive wheels have advantages over the TGT system, but for GTS implementation I doubt the T-DFB sensations are being rendered through even the very best DD wheels, the hardware to represent them simply isn't in there.

Much like GT Sport, the T-GT suffers from the same 'the internet says it, so I will repeat it, because it must be true' reputation. GTS was grossly misunderstood at launch and took time to be appreciated for what it is, and what it is not. The T-GT launch price was very high for a non-DD wheel, and that, plus the inability of other driving sims to utilize some of the special TGT features available in GTS caused a massive initial backlash that few people have taken the time to really get past.

The TGT is not a tarted-up T300, and it's not built like any other Thrustmaster wheel, either. It's touted as the current and future wheel for GT, so it's likely that GT titles from here on will take even greater advantage of the TGT's unique features. If you've never been to the website and read the specs and watched the video, you really don't know anything about the wheel.

It's worth the time to go look/read, and form your own opinion: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t-gt

I like the csl elite, had the t300 until it broke which was also really nice. I’d love to just try the T-GT to see what that extra rumble is all about, i have a buttkicker 2 hooked up to my Playseat evo, and it rumbles the whole rig while driving, You can even feel it on the wheel. Has a light rumble while driving, and you can feel when you go over bigger bumps and kerbs. Is that basically what the T-GT does? It’s nice for sure, but I guess a csl and buttkicker is about the same thing, maybe a bit better since you can feel the rumble on the whole rig.

I like the csl elite, had the t300 until it broke which was also really nice. I’d love to just try the T-GT to see what that extra rumble is all about, i have a buttkicker 2 hooked up to my Playseat evo, and it rumbles the whole rig while driving, You can even feel it on the wheel. Has a light rumble while driving, and you can feel when you go over bigger bumps and kerbs. Is that basically what the T-GT does? It’s nice for sure, but I guess a csl and buttkicker is about the same thing, maybe a bit better since you can feel the rumble on the whole rig.

If it’s possible, could you describe how the butt kicker helps you? I understand how it works, but I’d like to know what you feel and when and how you react to it.

I don’t think the buttkicker helps in any way, just makes driving in the game more enjoyable. Your whole rig, chair and wheels, and even the pedals vibrate when you go over kerbs, it’s a pretty cool effect. Also, the whole time you get a slight rumble while even just cruising in a straight line, comes from the engine. The v8 cars have a deeper rumble then some of the lower powered cars. It helps make the game feel more alive while driving. On some cars the transmission makes a thud when you shift too, mostly the cars with a deeper engine sound, and of course if you spin out and drive onto the grass or hit a wall, you’ll feel it. It’s very nice overall, not necessary but it does make the game even more enjoyable and makes the wheel you are using seem like it has even more feedback on it.
People say GT Sport can feel a little dull while driving because you don’t feel too many bumps through the force feedback on your wheel, it just feels way too smooth. The buttkicker definitely helps with that. It’s probably similar to the T-GT but it’s on your whole rig not just the wheel.

But the buttkicker are just speakers and generate vibration from sound.
T-gt vibration is a real rumble motor generate vibrations from game output = much more decent and defined effects.

While I can't really comment on the boldness of the statement, it's wrong to assume that just because it's not direct drive it can't be a superbly good wheel.
Very good wheel,yes.''The most superior wheel out there'',absolutely not.
I can say that the added effect of the 'depth feedback' (Thrustmaster calls it T-DFB) puts the TGT on another level in transmitting road, tire, and suspension interactions through the wheel and your driving rig. It's likely direct drive wheels have advantages over the TGT system, but for GTS implementation I doubt the T-DFB sensations are being rendered through even the very best DD wheels, the hardware to represent them simply isn't in there.
There is no T-DFB in PC or other PS4 games.
If you've never been to the website and read the specs and watched the video, you really don't know anything about the wheel.

It's worth the time to go look/read, and form your own opinion: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t-gt
If you visited more often the Sim Racing Hardware forum(which is very interesting forum) you would know that I'm pretty well informed about T-GT.;)

Last edited:
Back