BMW 8 Series Return

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 239 comments
Hope it doesn't differ to far from this initial concept, as I'm really liking this so far, differs somewhat design wise from the other BMW's, which I'm keen on design wise.

01.jpg

bmw-8-series-concept-leaked-it-looks-ready-to-cause-a-ruckus_7-jpg.412082

06.jpg
I wonder if the US-spec will get 5mph(2.5mph?) bumpers. :sly:

This thing is ugly, it's like they tried hard not to be what they usually are, but mixed it with what they usually are and their futuristic department and churned this. It's like an homage to sharks in the front and the rest gives respect to other European GT cars. I don't see what there really is to like.

See this man is even running away from "his own" car cause it's become blood thirsty due to its shark-like ancestory
P90261167-highRes-640x424.jpg

I can see the ads for this in Australia:
"I've got a BMW 'MAAAAATE'...". :D

Seriously, looks good. I like the styling. Kind of taking a trick from Lexus, but the rest of the BMW line up, is going to benefit.

If I understood correctly, a German car journalist said that the production is not going to differ much from the concept car. The engines, up to 12 cylinder and more than 600 ps .... and .... rear wheel steering.
The sound of the new M8 :D is going to very close to the sound in the youtube clip.

Price is not yet definitive. Here are some estimates:

* The 840i will be below €100,000

* The 860i will be around €190,000 - €200,000

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Less input from the driver, fewer controls? I, personally, don't like the sound of that statement. :(

The sleek shape has been retained and the kidney grills aren't as huge as they are on the concept, I reckon I'm gonna like this car a lot. 👍

I wonder if BMW has an iPerformance variant in the pipeline.

The M8 concept has a better looking front end than the other concept imo. I really hope the grille is toned down for the production car.

The question I'm after is how much of that interior will change.
In the German video from Auto Bild, he said that the steering wheel won't make it in the production car because the concept steering wheel has no airbag. The digital display will make in the production model and the materials chosen for the interior; carbon, alcantara and leather is a sign which way BMW wants to go in future models, namely the luxurious class.

What are the chances of it getting an NA V12 (or 12-cylinder) option?

Very slim, I don't think the development costs for a new N/A V12 (since BMW doesn't have one available) can be just justified if it will only be used in the 8 Series. If the 8 Series receives a 12-cylinder option, chances are it will be the TwinPower Turbo unit found in the M760Li.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Less input from the driver, fewer controls? I, personally, don't like the sound of that statement. :(

Jeez, the car didn't look nearly that compact on its own.

What is it with many of today's cars being made to look so gigantic (in addition to growing larger on average anyway)? Maybe it's conditioned reaction on my part, drawing a comparison between the oversized-looking features like the front grille and the actual cartoonishly-oversized features on new vehicles I've seen in the metal.

Jeez, the car didn't look nearly that compact on its own.

What is it with many of today's cars being made to look so gigantic (in addition to growing larger on average anyway)? Maybe it's conditioned reaction on my part, drawing a comparison between the oversized-looking features like the front grille and the actual cartoonishly-oversized features on new vehicles I've seen in the metal.
So true. I don't like that front bumper. Those airinlets and the middle part is ........ :ouch:.

The rest of the car, I like a lot, even the colour.

Oh no! Another BMW with a TT V8 shared with the rest of the large-sized BMW lineup? And what is this? An M8?! 'M'... such an exclusive badge these days. And it also has a TT V8! Can't wait for the Grand Tourer and AWD version too!

I can see it coming... What ever happen to my favorite manufacturer? Where did that pure passion for performance go? BMW's used to be so unique. When other manufacturers went generic, BMW still made these amazing rear-wheel drive machines with naturally aspirated engines reaching that magical 100hp per-liter. they still put that beautiful third pedal to the left of the brake to control a silky-smooth, purely manual transmission. What happened with "M?" Cars that only shared a few cosmetic accessories with their normal counterparts, and even within their own "M" family, they had their own identity and engineering.

I was always anxious that the road going 8-Series general style and profile would be translated in the GTE machine, and it looks like exactly that has happened, but only turned up to eleven because GTE :D.

Back