<- BTCC-7 -> Ian_83 is the Champion!Finished 

• Thread starter rolo912011
  • 2,522 comments
A bit behind today, just finishing modding the cars so i'll post some times up in a couple of hours.

I'm at Brands with racing soft suspension and no increased body rigidity (I agree there is something wrong with it)

Add me if you like, I'll be in from about 4ish if your still on

Add me if you like, I'll be in from about 4ish if your still on

Will do, but you have two PSNs?! Feel free to add me once your in. I've been running the cars in Free Run from the garage, is this ok?

Also forgot to mention a typo on the Skyline; stage 3 engine is missing

Will do, but you have two PSNs?! Feel free to add me once your in. I've been running the cars in Free Run from the garage, is this ok?

Also forgot to mention a typo on the Skyline; stage 3 engine is missing

priesty_lfc - finished work so just gotta hit the supermarket then make my way home

Re practice I would suggest creating your own private lobby as there maybe a slight difference between offline/online physics.

Make sure you restrict it to friends only tho so randoms don't join.

I'm going to stake an initial claim to run the Genesis Coupe for Chivas Perfect Apex Racing. It felt the most enjoyable to drive to me.

You'll need to run them online in a lobby - offline physics are different from online so the cars are inevitably going to go faster offline.

Ah yes, good point. Missed that out. Will fix 👍

Just started a lobby; 'BTCC-7 Brands Shakedown'. It's limited to friends so if anyone wants to join then send me a request. Just eating at the mo, I'm gonna start running about 4pm

earlier i said my 1st choice was an FR, and i prefered the hyundai to the BMW.
Rolo, is there a max number of car makes? e.g only 4 skyline's allowed to run, or is there no limit..

Just started a lobby; 'BTCC-7 Brands Shakedown'. It's limited to friends so if anyone wants to join then send me a request. Just eating at the mo, I'm gonna start running about 4pm

Got side tracked by a blown down fence, I'm on now tho!

2mins

Edit. Saying room full do just rebooting PS3

At the halfway point. I've only done 5-6 laps for each car so far. I still haven't mastered Paddock Hill yet so the times may be a bit unrepresentative of the raw speed of each car.

1. Focus - 50.165 - This is my fave so far

2. Accord - 50.330 - Massive understeer so I couldn't get much consistency but the extra speed seems to balance it out

3. Megane - 50.201 - Good, well matched to the Focus. A lot of body roll

4. Peugot - 49.923 - Only did two laps in this beast, definitely faster than everything else!

5. Volvo - 50.184 - Well matched, despite the gears being a lot longer than the others. Also has a lot of body roll

Don't forget that I'm running racing soft suspension so my/times comments may conflict with yours.

Cup of tea time then back on it in half an hour

Well running laps in the mini (1200kg) it handles really well but it's quite a boring drive lol.

The main issue I'm finding with the mini is the out right speed, I can be up against my Volvo time (running 1250kg) in S1 and S2 and still finish behind it, I'm crossing the line around 5mph slower than the other cars and the Brands straight is pretty short.

Edit: Looking at the PP the Pug/Reno/ST/C30 are all within 2PP of each other, the Honda and Mini are further back by a decent amount.

The FR Cars are further back aswell but the 3 of them are 1PP apart but there still competitive mainly due to being FR

Yes the mini is very stable round the corners, and very boring. At 1250 I was half a second slower but like you said, only in the last sector

I need to eat my words from before regarding racing soft suspension! I did a comparison on the Focus and I'd say that the fully customisable is around 3 tenths faster, so the times I posted are useless. From now on I'll stick to fully customisable.

earlier i said my 1st choice was an FR, and i prefered the hyundai to the BMW.
Rolo, is there a max number of car makes? e.g only 4 skyline's allowed to run, or is there no limit..

Still debating that. Used to have a limit for 4 per manufacturer but I might remove that this time. In any case with double the field I'd need to increase that limit if I had one. We'll see.

That's strange. It's only me in here, maximum participants 16, something must be set wrong?!

Another game bug... one where it claims a room is full when it clearly isn't. Also I can't stress enough of people to be aware of the bug where if the room host disconnects or leaves the lounge for whatever reason, then they can't find their own lounge again (and for some reason, Room IDs aren't shown for me). It's undoubtedly going to cause headaches unless it gets fixed.

Well running laps in the mini (1200kg) it handles really well but it's quite a boring drive lol.

The main issue I'm finding with the mini is the out right speed, I can be up against my Volvo time (running 1250kg) in S1 and S2 and still finish behind it, I'm crossing the line around 5mph slower than the other cars and the Brands straight is pretty short.

Edit: Looking at the PP the Pug/Reno/ST/C30 are all within 2PP of each other, the Honda and Mini are further back by a decent amount.

The FR Cars are further back aswell but the 3 of them are 1PP apart but there still competitive mainly due to being FR

Why 1200kg? Mini handles too well, so well in fact that it might have to be cut loose. FYI I've been running it at 1260 (Stage 2 + CB + WWR + 131kg ballast) but haven't yet confirmed it's spec. When I do I'll of course update.

I wouldn't focus too much on PP, it's misleading. The BMW I think has the lowest but it's just as quick.

I need to eat my words from before regarding racing soft suspension! I did a comparison on the Focus and I'd say that the fully customisable is around 3 tenths faster, so the times I posted are useless. From now on I'll stick to fully customisable.

If you're sure that's not just down to extra track/car experience? 👍 to you for trying it out though.

I did a back to back comparison on the focus and it's definitely faster, although when I did the same on the megane I found it much harder to be smooth with it so my lap times were worse (it has more body roll and dips crazily under braking) so I'm a bit confused. The racing soft is slower but I think maybe more consistent between cars because they are actually tuned to the car, rather than just a standard +2 on the dampers and roll bars like the fully customisable does.

Going out to get hammered now though so I won't be doing anymore tonight! I'll be back on it tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to meet up in a lobby :)

That low as on the straights it's just to slow, I know the PP is unreliable but it's not a coincidence that the 2 lowest PP cars are the slowest.

Yeah. Adding weight could make it handle better but it would suffer on the straights. It's worth a look I guess.

Definitely, but I'm not sure if everyone wants to see the old one back. Trying to fit the new cars in first, but if the new one proves too tricky then I will have to go back to the trusty '06 model and try that.

Was a great car that Ovlov in GT5.:confused:

Testing Update:
Updated Times at Latest Specs:

Tracks listed here WILL appear on the BTCC-7 calendar 👍

Brands Hatch Indy (Max Speed 168):

1. Hyundai Genesis - 49.240
  2. Peugeot RCZ - 49.274
  3. Ford Focus - 49.341
  4. BMW 330 - 49.347
  5. Mini Countryman - 49.410
  6. Volvo C30 - 49.431
  7. VW Golf - 49.462
  8. Nissan Skyline - 49.466
  9. Renault Megane - 49.498
  10. Honda Accord - 49.543

Silverstone National (Max Speed 180):

1. Peugeot RCZ - 1:00.712
  2. Nissan Skyline - 1:01.080
  3. Volvo C30 - 1:01.110
  4. Honda Accord - 1:01.112
  5. Ford Focus - 1:01.139
  6. Hyundai Genesis - 1:01.153
  7. BMW 330 - 1:01.200
  8. Renault Megane - 1:01.206
  9. Mini Countryman - 1:01.355
  10. VW Golf - 1:01.479

Motegi East (Max Speed 180):

1. Peugeot RCZ - 1:28.665
  2. Volvo C30 - 1:28.962
  3. Renault Megane - 1:29.041
  4. Ford Focus - 1:29.215
  5. BMW 330 - 1:29.263
  6. Nissan Skyline - 1:29.390
  7. Hyundai Genesis - 1:29.420
  8. VW Golf - 1:29.451
  9. Honda Accord - 1:29.522
  10. Mini Countryman - 1:29.603

I've also run at Deep Forest (Max Speed 162) but that track is yet to be confirmed.

Notes:
  • Honda Accord is to be removed and replaced, for the first time at least, by the '08 Civic Type R. Specs to be confirmed after testing.
  • Peugeot RCZ of course still needs work. Typical good straight-line/poor handling problem. The 207 is on standby in case the RCZ just can't be balanced.
  • VW Golf will get a weight drop as a sort of final hurrah. If it doesn't work it will be dropped (and potentially replaced..)
  • Mini Countryman could still be dropped. There's no spec in between 1260 and 1300 that's gonna balance out the excellent handling/poor straight speed problem.
  • Renault Megane may still get a small weight decrease.
  • Volvo C30 weight change has been dropped for now. It looks alright.

Last edited:
The VW Golf has also been dropped now. At its listed spec it was a bit too slow, and after adding Stage 1 WR + 100kg ballast, it's now too quick! Adding more ballast only worsens the problem.

I'll let you know if I get a reserve VW sorted out.

Slightly left field but the MX5!

I only say because it was in a BTCC I ran in in GT5, was pretty competitive and would be a new car to the series and another FR to add to the mix, 315bhp after all engine mods (no turbo/supercharger) but does only hit 1300kg with ballest but with the lower top end that might be ok......

;)

Anyway, I know it's NYE but is anybody about tonight? My Mrs is working nights so I didn't fancy going out so I'll be on if people wanna do some races or something ....

Haha got another update for you!

The Peugeot RCZ has been dropped now as well. I'll run the 207 GTi to see if that can replace it.

Again, once I have specs nailed down then I will update the OP.

But, to clarify, please stop running the Golf, Accord and RCZ. 👍

hey all sorry I am very inactive at the moment, relationship issues, Ill read everything over the next week, but I see mr stiggy is back, so if humber don't need me, perhaps we could team up if he wants!

The Peugeot 207 will not be run in this series. Too slow at 1240kg, too fast at 1220. The difference between Stage 1 WR + ballast and Stage 2 WR + ballast is massive in this car.

I'll look for another Peugeot to run but I won't carry on for ever!

New VWs to replace the '05 Golf are currently being looked at.

Once I finalise the '08 Honda Civic (if it works at these regs), then I will update.

Raced the focus with ruolo. Best 30.5 at motegi east. Forgot to adjust final ratio due two mph kms difference... The car is very Easy to drive but a small mistake costs over 1 second.

My skills with wheels are too poor to say more...

The new Peugeot is the 307 CC Premium AVN '04, running 305/1330 with Stage 3 WR, Carbon Bonnet, Window Weight + 109kg ballast.

Specs here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...n-op-6-spaces-open.290310/page-4#post-9135315

The '08 Honda Civic Type R will not be replacing the Accord. Just that little bit too pacey. I'll look for another Honda.

Remember the Golf and the Accord are no longer being tested; they just haven't been replaced yet.

Last edited:
Looking at a couple of other alternatives first but I will check that out if it doesn't work. I feel it will be too quick though.

The new VW is the Scirocco R '10, running 305/1500 with Standard Weight + Carbon Bonnet + Window Weight Reduction + 105kg ballast (set to position 34).

It could be a little bit quick but at 1530 it loses around 0.4 at Motegi... there seems to be a thing in this game where the difference between 100kg ballast and 130 is massive for some reason.

Update here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...n-op-6-spaces-open.290310/page-4#post-9135315

Having tested the '04 Civic, '04 Integra, '03 Accord and '08 Civic, I can say that there really is no Honda out there so far that's working properly to these rules. They're all too quick. I imagine other cars like the '01 Civic and '03 Integra would have similar problems. I've even gone left-field and run that Odyssey wagon (which is mega slow btw).

So, for now, I'm leaving Honda aside and carrying on at new circuits with the 9 cars still in play. If there's time, I'll come back and have another look at a few more, but at the moment, no Honda in BTCC-7.

The VW Scirocco has been upped to 1530kg - just add 30kg ballast. Spec sheet updated.

The Mini Countryman has been dropped and will not be replaced. Too quick on handling courses, too slow down the straights.

Announcement

@Ian_83 @canyondrifter @priesty_lfc @DirtyNurbKing58 @hurleyman24 @azidahaka @AudiMan2011 @Esco87 @Scaniabebe @mrbrendon999 @paulmac2k9 @sibbystiggy @SkengD @Myles Prower @quade420 @MiuraSV @Dimse91 @Dany_CL @perdy450 @unitedstomper @neljack @Malcolm Tucker @CptMadBean @G91V

This has been a difficult decision to make, but I have had to re-arrange my priorities regarding this series. I don't know if any of you have ever tried a run a series on GTP before, but the testing effort can be all-consuming, and can certainly be incredibly stressful. In order to reach this point I've been running almost solidly for the last 2 weeks straight, and to be honest it's taken its toll now. Continuing with this is an extra stressor and time-eater that simply doesn't need to exist for me at this point in time. For that reason, I am now massively scaling back my testing activities.

I have extensively run all 8 cars left standing at Brands Hatch Indy, Silverstone National, Deep Forest, Motegi East and now Trial Mountain (max speed details in car list post), and on average, these are my times (all 5 courses summed and divided by 5):

1. VW Scirocco (run at 1500kg before spec change) - 74.703
  2. Hyundai Genesis - 74.776
  3. Ford Focus - 74.779
  4. Peugeot 307 CC - 74.782
  5. BMW 330 - 74.795
  6. Renault Megane - 74.802
  7. Nissan Skyline - 74.802
  8. Volvo C30 - 74.840
These five courses will be included in the calendar (although Deep Forest may be replaced with Autumn Ring as I've run there as well, although not counted, and the field is closer there). I plan to run a 10-race calendar as previously, but I have decided that I need to rearrange my priorities, and therefore the 'Regular Season + Finals' idea is being scrapped. Instead, this season will be a straight 10-weeks, run to the 3-race format to which we're all accustomed, beginning at 7pm GMT. I really apologise to anyone who was relying on the 8pm slot to be able to race in the series, but I'm grateful that only applies to 4 drivers. If you can make the 7pm time as well then of course you're still welcome.

Of course we have more than 16 signed up at the moment, and therefore to accommodate that I will alter the race format to fit in a 15-minute Qualifier before the three races begin, as a sort of Pre-Qualifying, probably beginning at 6.45pm GMT, or I may push everything forwards by 15/20mins to accommodate it and start everything at 7. The top 10 in the championship will be guaranteed racing on any one night (or less depending on where I am and where the stewards are), whereas up to a further 15 drivers can enter the Pre-Qualifying, where of course only a certain few can progress (6 to 8 roughly, depending on this or that each week).

The 10-race calendar I have in mind, based on the field spread of the cars in my testing, is as follows (not in order):

1. Brands Hatch Indy
  2. Silverstone National
  3. Motegi East
  4. Autumn Ring/Deep Forest
  5. Trial Mountain
  6. Ascari
  7. Bathurst
  8. Apricot Hill
  9. Brands Hatch GP
  10. Silverstone GP
One, if not two, events will be night races, but the finer details can be sorted later. I haven't tested at any of tracks 6-10 and since I'm scaling back my efforts I'm not sure if I will, so I really hope the field is as close on those as they are on the 5 I have run on. The later tracks share some of the characteristics of the first five so I hope the rules still apply. Of course, feel free to test yourselves and come back to me with times, it's all useful information. Out and out speed isn't required; consistency between the cars is. If a track doesn't work it can be replaced with another. As for cars - the Hyundai may need a small peg back eventually and the Volvo might drop off completely. I can spec up a Volvo S60 if you want to try that as well.

Making cars and tracks fit together in this rule set to create the most competitive series possible is proving very tricky in this game, and therefore the number of workable cars and tracks is limited. Therefore I'm not sure how many more "proper" BTCC seasons I can get out of this to be honest (not without having to put in another exhaustive effort). It may have to be a case of learning what doesn't work by running it in the championship rather than me trying to pre-empt everything. Recently I've begun to prefer the tuning prohibited one-make cups that have proven such a success over time. It may be the case that I begin to run more of those instead over time. What I enjoy is turning up and having good racing on a Thursday night, not spending hours a day pounding round tracks with cars 10/20kg apart from each other and comparing times. I know I run a series with multiple cars so I have to take some pain before the fun, but I guess I'm not as willing or able to give up as much as I have done any more.

As a side note, the success ballast (with weight) idea is being scrapped as well. Adding weight only speeds cars up (especially FFs), particularly lower down the penalty list. 60kg ballast is still kept spare in every car just in case, but I honestly don't think it will work. Power penalties instead could still work, but it's a lot more complex with possibly 8 different effects to consider.

I will post in the Megane thread shortly with an update to the race format for that series. Cheers for reading 👍

Last edited:
Back