Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,749 views
The dogs are super easy to deal with. I'd rather have dogs 10x in a game rather than one AC or a CG. All you ever had to do was either run into water or jump on top of a table and they'd just stand there barking at you. Another option was to go prone in a corner so they couldn't knock you down. They would just stand in front of you biting at you but not doing much damage.
 
If the dogs are still there, I am not playing.
God, I forgot about the dogs. It was great being on the giving end, but not so much on the receiving end. :lol:
@A6 and break: well if you guys haven't noticed by now. I am always online playing MW2 or SSFIV. But Orange box comes in every so often now because of my nephew.
I hooked up with your nephew for one match. At least I think. He was gone by the time the match ended. :lol: I'm getting close, but I still don't have the silence for my ACR, so look for me online tonight!
Edit:
The dogs are super easy to deal with. I'd rather have dogs 10x in a game rather than one AC or a CG. All you ever had to do was either run into water or jump on top of a table and they'd just stand there barking at you. Another option was to go prone in a corner so they couldn't knock you down. They would just stand in front of you biting at you but not doing much damage.
I wish I knew that when I played. Dogs were one of the reasons I quit as well. It might've been the biggest reason, as I seemed to have tried so hard to forget about them. :D
 
I played the game enough to have learned a few tricks. ;)
 
I did take WaW out of the box recently and yes it was definitely soo much better, I just didnt keep it. I sold it about 1 or 2 months ago, at least it is all fixed now.
 
I did take WaW out of the box recently and yes it was definitely soo much better, I just didnt keep it. I sold it about 1 or 2 months ago, at least it is all fixed now.

Treyarch actually fixes problems very quickly, unlike IW which has just ignored all of the problems that have been with MW2 since launch:tdown:
 
Treyarch actually fixes problems very quickly, unlike IW which has just ignored all of the problems that have been with MW2 since launch:tdown:

I'm not sure it's fair to say they've ignored them, they just haven't fixed them for whatever reason. Perhaps as they ignored it, perhaps because of the whole fiasco with activision which has left IW in tatters, perhaps they just couldn't fix it easily. People need to lay off IW a little with the legal battle they're engaging in, they'll clearly have other things on their mind like getting paid, and they've also lost so many key employees.
 
God, I forgot about the dogs. It was great being on the giving end, but not so much on the receiving end. :lol:

I hooked up with your nephew for one match. At least I think. He was gone by the time the match ended. :lol: I'm getting close, but I still don't have the silence for my ACR, so look for me online tonight!
Edit:

I wish I knew that when I played. Dogs were one of the reasons I quit as well. It might've been the biggest reason, as I seemed to have tried so hard to forget about them. :D
My nephew is pretty scary on MW2. He just told me that his record was 100 to 42 and I won't beat it. I shrugged it off and just worked on the Scar-H.
 
I forgot to post this earlier when I was going to, a great montage:
 
Something smells illegitimate... and it's not you kids!

The Salvage clip reeks of staging, he kills the same two or three guys in a row in the space of five seconds. The spawn system isn't *that* stuffed up that it'll spawn the same players in the same place as the guy that just killed them twice in a row :indiff:
 
Oh yes it will, I've spawned on my own body sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row. There are other clips where you can see guys getting 10+ in as many shots fired almost as fast as possible and that simply HAS to be a repeat or 2. The spawns don't always move cleverly if you instantly respawn and the enemy isn't grouped around the spawn, if it's only 1 or 2 guys who can see that spawn it can happen, especially on a map the size of Salvage.
 
Ok guys... word of advice...

I'm new to FPS (been a ONLY Gran Turismo gamer for 10 years now)... and I started my FPS gaming with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when it came out. Since then I've grown to love FPS and think I'll stick with them even after GT5 releases.

I've been quite successful in BC2, enjoy the game very much and have no worries about it.

That being said I see all this activity around MW2, here and on the web, and wonder should I be playing MW2? I have a copy of the game and any journey into multiplayer I get absolutely destroyed (we are talking 0/0/20 games). I never had that issue with BC2, then again that game is much slower paced and I've learned the maps (overall it's a very different style of play and the community seems less established compared to MW2 - you know all of this).

So is MW2 worth learning/spending time with right now given the releases coming in the Fall? I'll still play it causally but I'm talking about putting BC2 aside and really putting time into MW2 in it's place?

Or has the MW2 ship sailed already (given the fight with the developers, the state of glitches and such in the community and how many ranked players there are anyway - yes i know the PS3 console side is a bit better)? Or are people starting to put it down and wait for the next in the series?
 
MW2 is fun, but, the maps are a lot smaller and there really isnt much in the way of squad play unless you have a group of friends you game with regularly. Also, BFBC2 is slower pace while mw2 is a lot more run and gun with a lot of campers. But, imo, the way it handles classes is a lot better. the K/d perk system is either awesome or over powered depending on how well you can get and maintain a streak.
 
[empty space];3860146
MW2 is fun, but, the maps are a lot smaller and there really isnt much in the way of squad play unless you have a group of friends you game with regularly. Also, BFBC2 is slower pace while mw2 is a lot more run and gun with a lot of campers. But, imo, the way it handles classes is a lot better. the K/d perk system is either awesome or over powered depending on how well you can get and maintain a streak.

The appeal of MW2 is that it doesn't require squad/team play to be fully successful like BC2. I've not found good people to regulary play BC2 with (I seem to always be on at times GTPers aren't).

MW2 seems more established with an bigger community. Though it seems unclear if good people are starting to leave the game or not.

All the COD forums I read seem to be split.
 
i dont know if people are leaving, but, its harder to find a match now after the last patch. I see A6/george and nk4e playing often enough but i have no clue how active the ps3 side is.
 
There's plenty of people playing on PS3, but the thing is it's not that the players around are particularly good, it's just that alot of people play the game an awful lot and it is a twitch shooter which means the more time you spend learning every single detail and honing your aim, the more successful you will be. Now when the game has felt and moved near identically since COD4, the average skill level is just high in terms of pure aiming and such that it's incredibly harsh to hop in now and it will be a slog until you get up to par.

On PSN there's roughly a million people with a high total kill count then me and I have something like 16,000 kills, are they better then me? The KDRs wouldn't suggest so but the simple fact is there's just so many people out there pouring their lives into COD that they are excellent at COD and COD only. The beauty of games like BC2 is there's much more skill which transfers from other aspects and not just fast reactions and a pin point aim, there's alot of ways for an unfamiliar player to make a big difference whereas in COD there's much less.

I find for all games if you're dying alot, play objective games like domination. It helps you as you can still help out a team even if you die a tonne and you won't drag teams down if you do badly unlike TDM where one guys failings can lose a whole game for someone. It also helps as you know where the enemy is likely to come from based on your own flags and the enemies so if all else fails just piling yourself onto an objective can be very helpful if done right even if you just die.

One thing you can do on COD to help your team though is carry a Stinger or other anti-air support weaponry, you may not get a kill yourself but you could deny the enemy of 10s of kills overal and that is a HUGE difference at times. It stops the enemy pinning you all down with masses of support so it helps in objective games directly as well as often air support leads to victory in all modes.
 
Treyarch actually fixes problems very quickly, unlike IW which has just ignored all of the problems that have been with MW2 since launch:tdown:
Any issues I had with the game, they've cleared. I don't see the elevator thing, Javelin thing's gone, some of that unlimited perk thing as far as I'm aware are either disabled, or are too hard to pull off for the most.

Which issues are you referring to? Not trying to be a smartass, I really am that ignorant. :D
My nephew is pretty scary on MW2. He just told me that his record was 100 to 42 and I won't beat it. I shrugged it off and just worked on the Scar-H.
Are you kidding me?, is he kidding you?, or is he really that good!? :scared:
Ok guys... word of advice...

I'm new to FPS (been a ONLY Gran Turismo gamer for 10 years now)... and I started my FPS gaming with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when it came out. Since then I've grown to love FPS and think I'll stick with them even after GT5 releases.

I've been quite successful in BC2, enjoy the game very much and have no worries about it.

That being said I see all this activity around MW2, here and on the web, and wonder should I be playing MW2? I have a copy of the game and any journey into multiplayer I get absolutely destroyed (we are talking 0/0/20 games). I never had that issue with BC2, then again that game is much slower paced and I've learned the maps (overall it's a very different style of play and the community seems less established compared to MW2 - you know all of this).

So is MW2 worth learning/spending time with right now given the releases coming in the Fall? I'll still play it causally but I'm talking about putting BC2 aside and really putting time into MW2 in it's place?

Or has the MW2 ship sailed already (given the fight with the developers, the state of glitches and such in the community and how many ranked players there are anyway - yes i know the PS3 console side is a bit better)? Or are people starting to put it down and wait for the next in the series?
I'm a former Gran Turismo guy who's been far more into FPS now than racing games. It happened between post-GT4 and Call of Duty 4 for me.

I think MW2 popularity has peaked. But having said that, I don't believe it's remotely close to being replaced. The game has faults, and if you go through this thread, you will read so much crying & whining, it's not even funny(90% by me :p). I have never played the Bad Company series, so unfortunately, I can't rate the game in comparison to the BC2. You might, or might not know, but the game just had the map pack($15) released little over a month ago on XBL(about a week, 2 weeks ago on PSN), and another one is due out early in June.

Bottom line, it is still one of the most popular games online, if not the most popular, and yes, IMO, it is worth playing online.
 
+ 1 to the stinger. Once you get the perk cold blooded and carry a stinger around, keeping the air ways clear of enemy air craft is a huge help towards the team because a lot of people prefer stopping power or danger close (iirc) over cold blooded and wont change to a class with cold blooded while there is enemy air craft in the air.
 
BC2 is completely different to MW2 imo, you can't compare the two games outside of "they both have guns".
 
Thanks for the perspective, it was helpful. Everytime I'm in MW2 I feel like I'm not fast enough and everyone knows something I don't (some secret, some perk, something). Where in BC2 I can hold my own and even more, even if I don't know the map so well.

I'll spend more time with MW2, but not give up on BC2. It's just switching between the two is difficult. I much prefer BC2s control layout.

I knew about the map packs and figured I could learn them with everyone else (I didn't know about a 2nd one in June, also I'm PS3 based). Level the playing field a bit for me. Also about the perks... I know heat you are talking about but haven't unlocked enough to know what is what.

Thanks for the tip on learning in domination. That's what I needed. I've only played that first one (deathwatch or free-for-all?)... That is never pretty.
 
@Dragonistic - Thanks for the perspective, it was helpful. You nailed it with the twitch comment. Everytime I'm in MW2 I feel like I'm not fast enough and everyone knows something I don't (some secret, some perk, something). Where in BC2 I can hold my own and even more, even if I don't know the map so well.

I'll spend more time with MW2, but not give up on BC2. It's just switching between the two is difficult. I much prefer BC2s control layout.

Thanks for the tip on learning in domination. That's what I needed. I've only played that first one (deathwatch or free-for-all?)... That is never pretty.

The key skills in MW2 are definately reactions, map knowledge, spawn point knowledge and an accurate aim. 2 of those come only through playing the game over and over, your aim comes to you more and more the more you play so it's only really reactions which can't be learnt by just playing the game.

I still enjoy both games on the whole, though only MW2 gets on my nerves sometimes with the flaws but I just quit out if I'm not having fun, so there's no reason why you can't to. You have to slog through alot of dying to get to a stage where you'll feel comfortable with the way COD works, throw out almost everything you think may work in real life and play with a blank slate.

A good way to learn is play with someone who knows what they're doing, they'll help give you an idea what's going on (headsets of course) as the game plays out as they're used to the chaos so they can focus on alot more then just what's in their own view. Other then that it'll just take time, I picked up the COD series pretty quickly but for some people they've been playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours and it still isn't clicking for them like it does others. It's just not a user friendly game for a new guy.
 
Thanks for the perspective, it was helpful. Everytime I'm in MW2 I feel like I'm not fast enough and everyone knows something I don't (some secret, some perk, something). Where in BC2 I can hold my own and even more, even if I don't know the map so well.

I'll spend more time with MW2, but not give up on BC2. It's just switching between the two is difficult. I much prefer BC2s control layout.

I knew about the map packs and figured I could learn them with everyone else (I didn't know about a 2nd one in June, also I'm PS3 based). Level the playing field a bit for me. Also about the perks... I know heat you are talking about but haven't unlocked enough to know what is what.

Thanks for the tip on learning in domination. That's what I needed. I've only played that first one (deathwatch or free-for-all?)... That is never pretty.
You are not kidding about the switching, let me tell you, I play MW2 on PSN & XBL, I sometime have trouble switching between the two controllers.

In MW2, players do know something you don't know. You were right on the money about the perks, but it's also about the maps with all the spots(sniping, ambushing, camping, etc.), flow of the traffic, etc. Investing little more time & effort will make you a decent player for sure. But I think it's how big of the student of the game you will be + how much time you invest in deciding how good you will be at it. Not pressuring you to play MW2 more or anything, just telling you how it is for most average players(myself included).

If you need any tips & tricks, this is an excellent place to get it. Everybody's more than willing to help, as long as your name isn't VEXD. lol Also feel free to add me next time you are on, I'm a6m5zero on PSN. I'll be on as soon as my PS3 is fixed(YLOD), or get a new one. :D
Edit:
but for some people they've been playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours and it still isn't clicking for them like it does others.
:(

:lol:
It's just not a user friendly game for a new guy.
So true. This game rewards the CoD4(MW1) players, big time.
 
Thanks guys. Add my SN on your PSN if you wouldn't mind sheparding a total noob to MW2 around here and there. Even some private match walk throughs would be useful fir me (actually that would rock). I've watched a ton of youtube commentary and the like but playing with someone not trying to kill me would help.

I'm usually on weeknights after 11pm EST and randomly on weeknights. I won't be on much this week due to work travel but will make a point to spend some time early next week and beyond. I'll not give up on BC2, I enjoy it too much, so that will be my primary place.

Speaking of BC2 if any of you MW2 players need help there by all means I can offer it given any help with MW2. I do see many of the same faces in this thread and the BC2 thread thigh...
 
Damn, I'm usually all for helping out, including in private matches. I've decided to get my PS3 repaired, so I'll be out for another couple of weeks. :guilty:
 
I could kick your ass until you figure out how I'm doing it if you think that would help...
 
I could kick your ass until you figure out how I'm doing it if you think that would help...

Naw, pretty sure you'd just yell him to death in the lobby.

Tetradic, my advice is to just find a flow you are comfortable with. A6M5 plays in a much more conservative way than I do, but we both generally are star players on our teams. Once you are starting to get comfortable with the game rhythm, start working with weapons that suit your personal rhythm. Run and Gun? Go with an SMG or the TAR. Tend to take your time and engage from a bit further back? Silenced SCAR or ACR. Prefer to engage at max distance or extremely close? Sniper Rifle and Shot guns.

Then you can look into perks. Find yourself moving a lot? Marathon. Want to be able to engage a group without reload concerns or ADS times? Slight of Hand.

There are lots of ways you can develop a kit-out that suits your play style. But getting familiar with it all will take time. I was a bit over whelmed coming to MW2 from CS1.6, but after a week or so I was getting quite comfortable with the maps, how the weapons felt, and so on. You'll find yourself progressing gradually and smoothly, almost so you don't notice it. When I started I was happy to get a couple of kills a match. Now I average around 30 to 60 during a Domination game, and even over 20 in TDM games at times.
 
I don't know how else to teach. Think of me as the angry drill instructor that doesn't know how to lose.
 
I'm a star player. :p

Honestly, I'm a #2, #3 player. I'm looking forward to seeing how T_A's game's come along, though you probably dont' play that much now. Can't wait to play with you guys again soon. I've been on Xbox a looong time.
 
Any issues I had with the game, they've cleared. I don't see the elevator thing, Javelin thing's gone, some of that unlimited perk thing as far as I'm aware are either disabled, or are too hard to pull off for the most.

Which issues are you referring to? Not trying to be a smartass, I really am that ignorant. :D


Well ther eare those you just said, that took them forever to fix there. There are a handful of others that took them way too long to fix that have been fixed now. As of right now the things that really annoy me are things that aren't glitches in the game but poor decisions when making the game. Commando is one of them, yeah great idea guys. Another is the spawn system, it has been better since the last update but for some reasons problems in MW2 seem to go away and then come back so I will see what happens:crazy: Its really more of them fixing certain problems in the game from perks to gun balancing that they just haven't even dealt with yet. I know they are in court and going through all of that jazz, but you still have to deal with your product. Some of the flooring jobs I warrantied 3 years ago could have problems and just because I'm not doing that for a living anymore doesn't mean I am not held to fix the problem that I agreed to fix since they hired me. And yes there is no agreement with IW with us to fix a damn thing, but that is what they are suppose to do.
 
I was wrong about the $119 PS3 repair bill. They will also charge you a padded shipping of $29, which brings the total bill to $148. After the bill from whatever carrier to send the PS3 back to SONY, I figure the grand total cost to be around $160. I now am strongly considering a PS3 Slim 120 gig. :grumpy:
Well ther eare those you just said, that took them forever to fix there. There are a handful of others that took them way too long to fix that have been fixed now. As of right now the things that really annoy me are things that aren't glitches in the game but poor decisions when making the game. Commando is one of them, yeah great idea guys. Another is the spawn system, it has been better since the last update but for some reasons problems in MW2 seem to go away and then come back so I will see what happens:crazy: Its really more of them fixing certain problems in the game from perks to gun balancing that they just haven't even dealt with yet. I know they are in court and going through all of that jazz, but you still have to deal with your product. Some of the flooring jobs I warrantied 3 years ago could have problems and just because I'm not doing that for a living anymore doesn't mean I am not held to fix the problem that I agreed to fix since they hired me. And yes there is no agreement with IW with us to fix a damn thing, but that is what they are suppose to do.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't have issues with any defects in the game. I hate commando with passion, but same thing happened in CoD4, too. I'd be full auto firin', and some jerk would knife me once, I die. :crazy: If the game needed something, I wish it balanced the connection speed, so it will handicap faster connection players to prevent them from start firing like full second before the other guy do. :p

P.S. Sharky, were your arms sore after shooting this?
 
Back