Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,326 views
It was tested by both IW and Sony (the latter spent about ten days doing so), and the online freezes weren't occurring then - the freezes *somehow* popped up when the patch went live to public PSN. To say there was "no testing at all" is a bit of a sweeping assumption ;)

I'll just say look at the post above for a similar answer to my reply. Why IW seem oh so happy to answer to the moaners about nerfing guns but seemingly ignore bigger issues is beyond me.

Azuremen I'd recommend (if you haven't already) picking up a copy of COD4 until they start fixing these issues, you'll have an absolute blast playing online.
 
infinite care package glitch
I don't think they were expecting something like that to crop up, tbh. "ohai gaise, let's test for an infinite care package glitch that may or may not exist, and we have no idea what sequence of buttons to press in order to trigger it if it does in fact exist"

the elevators, the getting into the floor or walls of the map
Again, I don't think they were expecting people to work out where the geometry is iffy and allows players to get inside the terrain.

lets nerf a single 1887 but fail to change the math on the Akimbo with FMJ.
That was a fail on IW's part, I agree. :lol:

Or that the Attack Helicopter is completely worthless compared to the Harrier - "Hey, lets have two kill streaks that are the same number, but one can shoot down air support, has an air strike, and actually hits things with its guns, and can apparently dodge Stingers at random. The other one, well, lets have it just kind of fly around and do nothing." Srsly, I've had a Harrier take down a Pave Low and Chopper Gunner.
That's why you equip the Harrier as one of your KS rewards, and leave the attack helicopters to the care packages :dopey:
 
I don't think they were expecting something like that to crop up, tbh. "ohai gaise, let's test for an infinite care package glitch that may or may not exist, and we have no idea what sequence of buttons to press in order to trigger it if it does in fact exist"

Again, I don't think they were expecting people to work out where the geometry is iffy and allows players to get inside the terrain.

But this is exactly what people do. EXACTLY why we have it, and exactly why you TEST things. Back in the day testers were paid to play games in whatever broken ass way they could imagine, just to find crap like this. It is also why some developers have these things called Betas. IW 🤬 royally on this.

That's why you equip the Harrier as one of your KS rewards, and leave the attack helicopters to the care packages :dopey:

Yeah, balance right there.

Oh, and lets add a perk that lets you TELEPORT 20 feet into someone. Commando is probably the most retarded thing I have seen, the more I play. Literally watched some guy slide 15 feet into someone, in the blink of an eye.

And the hit detection issues due to them using a peer to peer setup rather than real servers. Naw, don't worry that I put the cross hairs of my sniper rifle RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of his chest, its cool that it went 2 feet left of him because of latency issues. I barely use sniper rifles just because of that crap.
 
G.T
I just realised that Wasteland glitch I mentioned earlier was found out in November, and they've not decided to patch it. :dunce:

At least I've only ever seen it once. Maybe not many people know about it, but I tried it in a private game and it isn't the hardest to get into. Hopefully not more people find out.
Wow, I only heard of it when you posted it yesterday :crazy:.

Can I have an option to search locally, so to prevent me from getting put into games where everyone is speaking Spanish? The ranking boards are still fubar'd as well, etc etc.
They tried to make it so you didnt have to do that, they put that ping count there for a reason. If you look at it, it stops at 150 ping and when it gets there reset it, leave and come back. If you are in a party I will admit you are quite screwed as you cant see the ping. I would like the local option but I doubt they will add it.

And the hit detection issues due to them using a peer to peer setup rather than real servers. Naw, don't worry that I put the cross hairs of my sniper rifle RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of his chest, its cool that it went 2 feet left of him because of latency issues. I barely use sniper rifles just because of that crap.
If on YOUR game you hit the person then they WILL be hit, with a delay or without one they will be hit unless you miss. Snipers have a learning curve, if you dont like them dont use them. I have 1.3Mbs internet and I have no problem, my upload is 0.2, as long as my cross hits that person they will die.


I think you guys are blaming these people too much, sure they didnt test everything but can they be expected to find EVERY little hole in the game? At least you can patch games now, remember on PS2 or XBOX you couldnt download patches? If the game had a big bug it couldnt be fixed. The one good thing that came out of that system is that developers made games properly, barely any glitches to start with. Why people cant do that now is beyond me.
 
OH MY WORD! I can't do the last part of "Loose Ends" on Veteran. You have to get from the house to the LZ in one checkpoint. I've tried many times. Any tips?
Also, I appear to be having issues getting online at the moment. It just doesn't find the playlist at all. It seems like it is after the patch but I would certainly not blame the patch.
Argh!
EDIT 2: WOOOHOO! Damn... Thats the third time I have had Shepherd do "that" :p
 
Last edited:
Wow, so they basically did no testing of this patch at all. Complete idiots.

Oh no, there is always stringest testing before any title update is put out on the PS3 (or the 360 for that matter.) It's quite rare, I've not heard anyone else with the problems (though there is more, obviously). Fact is, patching is a very risky process.

That said, their initial testing process got them in to this mess. I remember the good old saying, "You can't polish a turd." Of xure, MW2 isn't a turd, but many of these things might not be minor fixes.

Anyone else having problems with predator missiles? I've got one as my killstreak rewards, I've used it twice today (yeah, having a cack day), both times I hit someone bang on, both times, they didn't die. There's not a superhuman perk I've missed, is there?
 
Well Reading the previous page about freezing I had no problems today until 20 minutes ago. Sighned me out and now won't let me connect and I was having some great games again with guys.
 
Well Reading the previous page about freezing I had no problems today until 20 minutes ago. Sighned me out and now won't let me connect and I was having some great games again with guys.

Does it not get the playlists? That is happening to me as well. :indiff:
Well, witht he lack of online I just managed to run the Pit in less than 30seconds which takes me to 77% on the trophies. Just need to do Contingency on veteran, the Spec ops trophies and the other 22 pieces of intel. :crazy:
 
I learned quick that the attack helo is worthless. I'm using the uav-predator-harrier now. I've also started to really like the Famas a lot. That thing is deadly.

I agree the commando perk is stupid. You dont even have to hit the person for it to kill them. Ever time I get killed with that perk I watch the kill cam and it doesn't matter if I run past them and they hit air I still die.

Not looking forward to having to download this update later. I played most of today and only had one weird issue where I was signed out of the PSN but continued to play for more than 30 seconds before I was kicked.
 
If on YOUR game you hit the person then they WILL be hit, with a delay or without one they will be hit unless you miss. Snipers have a learning curve, if you dont like them dont use them. I have 1.3Mbs internet and I have no problem, my upload is 0.2, as long as my cross hits that person they will die.

.

I have 2500 kills or so with Sniper Rifles. Somedays they will hit perfectly, other days my room mate is going WTF how didn't you hit that?

It isn't my fault the hit boxes are crazy slow. I've watched kill cams where the last bullet kills me after I get behind a wall, because of how the registry and netcode work on this game.

EDIT: Further, through put on your connection and latency have almost nothing to do with each other. Just an FYI
 
I hate that. A lot of the times I get killed are because of the lag in the game. I also find a lot that I can get off 2-3 bursts first and then get killed but when I watch the kill cam I barely get a round off most times.
 
Oh no, there is always stringest testing before any title update is put out on the PS3 (or the 360 for that matter.) It's quite rare, I've not heard anyone else with the problems (though there is more, obviously). Fact is, patching is a very risky process.

As stated by IW(here) they tested thoroughly at various stages and have pointed out it's only occured since they released it onto the Public PSN. You'd like think they would of done the most rigorous testing it at the place it would be used before they released it but it appears they were too stupid to think of that. They are now waiting for Sony to confirm a Patch Rollback.
 
I finally beat single player campaign on beginner difficulty. I would hop online if it wasn't for the fact I suck........a lot.
 
So you practice and get better. You should have seen me playing CS way back in the day in high school :lol: It was ugly.
 
You have a KD of 1.48, I wouldn't call that bad :p Accuracy ain't bad either.
 
Yeah especially since I've only had the game a couple days... I was expecting to start off slow and be at maybe .50 for a month.

I've also been comparing my stats to yours after every match. I wont touch you on total kills for another few years but I'm trying to keep my K/D and accuracy high. The rather crappy match making makes it hard to be positive on every match. I was 13-1 on one match earlier and then next match I think I was 3-7 on the same map.
 
So you practice and get better.

I know, I plan on starting a new campaign on regular tomorrow. I did notice I was better towards the end than when I started.
 
I wont touch you on total kills for another few years
:lol:

Yeah, if your k/d is around "1", you must be a decent player. If you are closer to 1.5, I would actually consider you a good player. Some players with k/d of 1.6 that I know are actually elite players.

When first started online FPS with CoD4, it wasn't pretty either. I think in 1 1/2 year or something like that, it finally went over 1.4, I think. :lol: I opened up another account, and I was doing over "2" on that one. On XBL, I think I approached 1.8, it should be at least 1.7, I think.

And Justin, just play with us. It doesn't matter if you suck. 1) You gotta start somewhere. 2) We all have bad games. Me, Azuremen, we have pretty nice k/d ratios. Some of the k/d we've had in matches together, not so nice. You just need to come up with some good veteran excuses!
I know, I plan on starting a new campaign on regular tomorrow. I did notice I was better towards the end than when I started.
No! That's not what he meant!

Campaign & Online is two totally different games. Campaign will help you mostly with controls, weapons, but online is a different beast.
 
Yeah it's good to practice on the campaign first if you're an absolute beginner.

But to be fair the single player is only a little part of what skill you need to be online. It's a different skill requirement because you are against people who can actually think and aren't dumb. :p You'll probably learn to become better a lot quicker playing online than learning through the campaign. I remember when I couldn't do a part on Veteran in COD4, played online for a week or two, came back to it and beat it easily.

Depends really. That was in the early days when people weren't so good. But now if you jump straight online as a newbie you may get slaughtered, not learning anything...
 
Personally I started online FPSs with BF2 a few years back. The first game I bought when I got my PS3 was cod4 but I was never that serious about cod until I waw came out.
 
I know, I plan on starting a new campaign on regular tomorrow. I did notice I was better towards the end than when I started.

I honestly think the campaign teaches you terrible habits for online play. The snap to aiming, the seemingly endless hordes of daft AI, the huge amount of ammo you are given often, the fairly linear level progression, etc.

Online is a whole different story. You have people like me that will run pure Stealth and kill you at point blank range to with a Pistol HS just to work towards a title (yes, I do this) and then people that have apparently inhuman relfexes with near point blank aiming while running.

It is just a completely different game when you go online.
 
Maybe you should find some people to jump into a private match with you and show you the ropes.
 
That is a great way to learn the game, and also the maps.
 
I'm up for private matches. I don't have a mic so I can't explain anything, which is a bummer because I tend to show people some neat tricks when I visit them.

In other news, I am becoming a huge fan of the AUG HBAR at the moment. Feels more like a weapon from CS, it has, you know, recoil, unlike certain magical AR's. But the large clip and huge stopping power are pretty nice.
 
I loved the AUG in the campaign. I've always loved bullpups in general and that gun just kicks ass. I don't see it used much in muliplayer though. I'll be unlocking it soon and using the crap out of it.

And I have a mic but I don't wear it much. I could tell you what I've found so far but I've only got about 10 hours in the game so far.
 
In other news, I am becoming a huge fan of the AUG HBAR at the moment.
Good try. I'm pretty sure you've been a fan from the beginning. :p

I'd be up for private matches, if it's going to be for somebody like Justin, who's not used to the multiplayer/online. I'd be more than happy to run around with a big bullseye on my back. I can go pistol only or something. :D
 
Good try. I'm pretty sure you've been a fan from the beginning. :p

I'd be up for private matches, if it's going to be for somebody like Justin, who's not used to the multiplayer/online. I'd be more than happy to run around with a big bullseye on my back. I can go pistol only or something. :D

I'll have you know I have less than 300 kills with the AUG so far. Which may sound like a lot, but it is less than 1% of my total kills :crazy:

Now, if we do the match I can do something like use Akimbo USPs (one of my personal favorites) or some other silly thing to get a handle of the game play.

And...... the patch is out.
 
He won't learn anything if you go easy on him...

And I'd really like to be online playing right now but I'm trying to avoid that patch until they sort it out. :irked:
 
There is nothing wrong with the patch for me, everything plays as it should ?!?!
 
Back