Camber

• Thread starter esoxhntr
  • 894 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So from this are you saying that the camber adjustments work, they just need to be reversed?
They do something, but the opposite of what they're supposed to do.
Graphically everything seems to be ok, the best theory so far is that the tire model however seems to get a wrong (inverted) angle. If you could enter negative values it would probably work ok but look funny...

I had also noticed on my S2000 that negative camber was making the car under steer and lose traction and now I know why. Can anyone confirm that the camber is just plain broken or that positive and negative are the wrong way round? We cant add positive camber so this would make it broken?

So this answers the question i was going to ask... Is it safe to start tuning cars yet?... Obviously not. I'll keep plodding on with career mode then... Yawn.

You guys keep mentioning negative camber? Am I misinterpreting? Believe you can only be at 0 or go up from there. Meaning positive camber? Like in toe angle you can go negative.
IRL camber is defined as negative if the wheels point inwards at the top. In GT you enter positive numbers from 0-10 to achieve negative camber. They probably managed to confuse themselves there...

Keep your camber at 0.0. Adding camber (a minus number, the only way you can go) will result in less grip. The more camber you add, again, a minus number, the less grip you will have. Until they fix this flaw, 0.0 camber is the optimal setting. There is no positive camber in GT5. Starting at 0, the more camber you add, the bigger the minus number....I think that where the confusion is for a few people here. More is less, or negative if you will. (minus, negative camber) There is no positive camber in GT5.

IRL camber is defined as negative if the wheels point inwards at the top. In GT you enter positive numbers from 0-10 to achieve negative camber. They probably managed to confuse themselves there...

This. It was very strange to be increasing a positive number to add negative camber when I first saw the tuning menu but then saw the graphical effect on the car was correct so thought no more of it, but then the graphical changes didn't translate to the on track performance. This needs fixing ASAP.

You can't run negative camber in the game. 0 or higher.

Again, you have it backwards. You can only run negative camber in GT5. That's why there is a minus sign (-) in that menu. Unless I am missing something here. Regardless, you can only go one way with the setting, whether it be plus or minus, however way you want to interpret the menu.

@Ice0l8ed: Nice ninja edit. :sly:

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle
Negative camber is what we have in the game, there is no positive camber in GT5. The confusion here is when they talk about "the higher the setting" which actually means, the higher up the slider, not higher meaning positive numbers. You start at 0, and the higher up the slider you go, the more NEGATIVE camber you are adding. :)

Last edited:
That's a joke, so still no tuning is possible without having to re-visit all tuned cars once patched.

Again, you have it backwards. You can only run negative camber in GT5. That's why there is a minus sign (-) in that menu. Unless I am missing something here. Regardless, you can only go one way with the setting, whether it be plus or minus, however way you want to interpret the menu.
I had it right in my head but reading everyone else's confusion caused my fingers to mess it up.

That's a joke, so still no tuning is possible without having to re-visit all tuned cars once patched.

Tuning is possible, but there are some bugs...
  1. Ride height works the wrong way round
  2. Adding camber reduces grip
Other than that it's still possible to tune cars and make them feel nice 👍

As in GT5, will just need a few tweaks once they fix things.

Understood, i just don't have the motivation or excitement to spend the hours tuning up a car knowing that it will still need to be fine tuned at a later date.

Understood, i just don't have the motivation or excitement to spend the hours tuning up a car knowing that it will still need to be fine tuned at a later date.

Surely the point of tuning is to make a car feel as you want it to?

If it's something you really like to drive, and you're going to spend a lot of time driving it, it would still make sense to invest the time.

Different matter for the tuning houses - who might have 100's of cars tuned by the time they patch this and have to re-tune them all :(

Just don't touch camber for the time being, it isn't useful anyway at the moment. Should they ever bother to patch this, your existing setups will then very likely behave just as they do now. If you wish, you could then however revisit your setups and further improve them...

What's this about ride?

Agreed it's not detrimental to the game because a setting of 0.0 is fine and the cars default. However, it's still pretty bad that PD has let this slip through the net as its pretty basic stuff. Still, they have been pretty quick at patching things so far so no need for tears just yet.

Just don't touch camber for the time being, it isn't useful anyway at the moment. Should they ever bother to patch this, your existing setups will then very likely behave just as they do now. If you wish, you could then however revisit your setups and further improve them...

Spot on 👍

No one should be running anything other than 0/0 camber on any set up... if you are, you're giving up grip.

What's this about ride?

Go watch the replays of the top 10 laps on the Integrale Seasonal TT... all are running high front/low rear.

Why? Because cars rotate faster (turn in faster) and have less understeer with a high front/low rear ride height.

It's just like GT5 before they patched it, and it's either a bug in the physics model, or the front and rear ride height is the wrong way round :lol:

Spot on 👍

No one should be running anything other than 0/0 camber on any set up... if you are, you're giving up grip.

Go watch the replays of the top 10 laps on the Integrale Seasonal TT... all are running high front/low rear.

Why? Because cars rotate faster (turn in faster) and have less understeer with a high front/low rear ride height.

It's just like GT5 before they patched it, and it's either a bug in the physics model, or the front and rear ride height is the wrong way round :lol:
Lmao. I guess it's good they figure these things out.

I wouldn't mind just clarifying the ride height thing guys.
"Ride height works the wrong way round"
So lowering(smaller number) is still lowering, and raising(larger number) is still raising.
But what ever adjustment you make to the front end, you are actually making that change to the rear end instead.
Is that correct?

But what ever adjustment you make to the front end, you are actually making that change to the rear end instead.

That's easy enough to test visually but hadn't noticed a problem with ride height myself. That is of course assuming PD are translating what we see graphically into what happens physically.

As in the camber scenario ,we might not be able to trust what we see happen to the car in the garage!

Scirocco Super Lap was giving me fits and now I see why. I was using camber in the front and raising the rear to try and get it to corner a little faster. Every adjustment I did just made the car under steer harder.

I hope this gets fixed. Camber was an easy way to get a little better grip in GT5. I noticed any camber in GT6 didn't improve handling at all.

This is how I tuned my cars in GT5 for best grip..... kidding
overkill_tuned_vip_car_off_camber.jpg

I hope this gets fixed. Camber was an easy way to get a little better grip in GT5. I noticed any camber in GT6 didn't improve handling at all.

I've always wondered how long tires and rims could handle that even if they were show cars. (The picture)

Nice! Can I use the other 98% of the tire when he is done putting his 50 miles on that 2%?

I tryed rear alignment settings from Hunter Engineering into a few cars & it actually work for some cars but for others dont... Porsche 911 or Carrera settings into the Ruf RGT I tryed 0.4 degrees of camber on the front & 1.3 degrees of camber on the rear... I tryed to make like a GT3 RS model out of it... on GT6 I lost control very easy, while in GT5 the car is a champion. Then I have my 94 Honda Civic SiR on GT6 and the camber Im running at front is 0.6 degrees while in the rear is 1.2 degrees... car handles super good, it takes corners even at over 95mph but I have to make sure I brake enough & shift the weight right before entering the corner so it can follow the apex... if not I will defenetly hit the wall, I didnt have this issue in GT5 or real life with the same camber settings. :( PS: my Mustang Boss 302 in GT6 is using 0.8 camber at front & 0.2 camber at rear & it handles super great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back