Capello resigns as England Manager

• Thread starter ECGadget
  • 80 comments
United Kingdom
England
ECGadget
Eh???
Well, it wasn't unexpected... But still... Is this good for England? Will Redknapp take over? Erikkson to make a comeback? Will the squad change to a better one?

Nine bob Redknapp will stay at Spurs. He's done too good a job.

Pearce is in temporary charge. If he does well, maybe he will take you through the Euros?

We definately need a proper manager, not a temp...
I think Redknapp will stay at Spurs, he's really got that song back into my mind "Hotspurs are on thier way to Wembley". But I dunno, would Hotspurs let Redknapp go to try and take England to glory?

Redknapp is the favourite with the bookies by a quite a margin, Pearce second. Mourinho in with a shout. Wouldn't hold your breath on that mind. Although whoever gets it will hardly do much better. The team may improve slightly but I'm not expecting anything higher than quarters or maybe semis at the Euro's.

It seems noone was happy or going to be happy with Capello so it's probably for the best. Don't know why he criticized the FA for the Terry incident. Innocent until proven guilty, I know, but you can't really have him leading the team out. First time he was stripped of the captaincy was ridiculous though.

Then again, Pearce is doing the Olympics. Difficult job to balance, those and the Euros.

So the manger tries to stick up for his players, but the amateurs in charge of the game in this country have to get involved. No wonder why we never win anything.

So the manger tries to stick up for his players, but the amateurs in charge of the game in this country have to get involved. No wonder why we never win anything.

Ordinarily I would say a manager should stick up for his squad, but Terry has been charged with racial abuse. By the Met. The game is doing what it can to make a stand against racism, the FA had to act.

You cannot have a Captain who has any hint of bringing the game into disrepute.

I would fancy Pearce juggling the Euro's and the Olympics, but beyond that, I can't see Redknapp leaving tottenham as a half finished job in any case, not this year anyway

Ordinarily I would say a manager should stick up for his squad, but Terry has been charged with racial abuse. By the Met. The game is doing what it can to make a stand against racism, the FA had to act.

You shouldn't have any players that are tainted, but the squad is full of players that have been in the papers or have got injunctions to stop their sordid antics being in the papers. It is just the F.A. again proving they know FA about running the national game.

You shouldn't have any players that are tainted, but the squad is full of players that have been in the papers or have got injunctions to stop their sordid antics being in the papers. It is just the F.A. again proving they know FA about running the national game.

True, but players shagging models behind their wives backs isn't the same as being charged with racism. The latter is a much bigger deal given how they are battling it in Europe generally at games.

To be honest, we won't win the Euro's anyway, as the players are arse. But if that twitchy faced judas ginger crook cretin gets the job, I will be avoiding all England games.

The problem is twofold. First, John Terry has been charged with racism*, not convicted of it. Secondly, both the FA and Capello said some weeks ago that people were innocent until proven guilty, but the FA have decided to modify their position by taking disciplinary action (removing the captaincy) against a player not found to be guilty of anything.

This has made Capello's position untenable. His captain has been removed from him - his team decisions are being interfered with - for no good reason and against both his wishes and the FA's earlier position. He is quite right to resign as he clearly no longer has control over his team or the trust of his bosses and it prevents the team going into a big tournament with a cloud of scandal over their heads.

But then who do you give it to? The multi-shag-abouting convicted drug cheat (like they did last time, because John Terry committed the grave offence of having sex with a woman**)? The multi-shag-abouting guy who shot someone? The multi-shag-abouting guy who can't even play the first 3 games because of his violent, explosive temper? One of the kids? There's only really two people in the England squad old enough, experienced enough, suitable enough and not demonstrably lacking in moral fibre - Joe Hart (always be wary of making keepers captain) and Scott Parker.

*I've lipread the exchange. He says "What? No, I didn't call you a black 🤬, you 🤬 ing knobhead.". Can't stand the guy and don't really rate him, so I have no interest in defending him.
** Yeah, take it off a guy who did nothing worse than have sex with another woman - offensively so apparently, because she used to have sex with someone he knows - and give it to a guy who has been banned from driving four times (once for drink-driving), banned from all football for six months for drugs offences, has expressed homophobic sentiment live on radio, has been allegedy involved in one gangbang, filmed in another and has allegedly cheated on his wife with ten other women over the last decade. Real role model :rolleyes:

As far as captaincy goes, I agree mostly with Famine, but I prefer Scott Parker to Hart purely for experience in the game, and the fact he's actively involved in the play continually, as opposed to keeping, even though Hart does marshal the defence anyway.

The media will be all over TFJGCC now he has got away with his tax fiddles, clamouring for him to get the job. It wont be long if he does get the job, where the squad size will be about 400 players, half of them African, a quarter of them out on loan, while he is down to the 'bare bones, for sure'.

He's as bent as a £9 note, as I alluded to in the second post.

He's always been touted for the job because "everybody loves old 'Arry (!)". I rememer the love and adulation they used to throw Sam Allerdyce around 2006. Makes me cringe.

I'm not sure he would leave though. I think he'll want to finish the job at Spurs first, then do the England job before retiring.

While I don't think I'm qualified to determine Harry's shortcomings, surely the FA can't hire him? After all, he's been charged with tax evasion - but not convicted...

Except he's been charged, not convicted.

The FA shouldn't have sacked Terry from captaincy for two reasons, 1) it's not their decision, it's Capello's, leading to what happened today and 2) innocent until proven guilty.

I hope Terry takes the FA to court for wrongful dismissal, that'd be amusing. Capello had no choice but to leave, more great timing from the FA.

Here's to another 🤬 tournament 👍

The F.A. only do what is right for 'The Brand'. And that is where the problem is, it wasn't too long ago, where the top dog at the F.A. was shagging the same bit of skirt as the manager.

Don't think it's right for Redknapp to take the job right now he's doing such a great job with Tottenham in the PL. Personally I'd like to see Guus Hiddink take the job on the short term as he's a proven international coach. He made it to the semi finals with Holland, Russia and South Korea! Plus a decent job with the Australian team to make it out the groups in 2006.

But after that I'd like to see Redknapp and Pearce working together with Pearce using his knowledge of the U21 players to start building a fresh young squad for the 2014 world cup.

EDIT: Hiddink's odds have gone down from 40/1 to 11/1 in the past few hours after Capello resigned so maybe something is happening there.

Last edited:
Except he's been charged, not convicted.

The FA shouldn't have sacked Terry from captaincy for two reasons, 1) it's not their decision, it's Capello's, leading to what happened today and 2) innocent until proven guilty.

I hope Terry takes the FA to court for wrongful dismissal, that'd be amusing. Capello had no choice but to leave, more great timing from the FA.

Here's to another 🤬 tournament 👍

I agree, your top order is hopelessly overrated and your coach has lost his tou...oh wait, wrong sport! :D

Which ex-EPL manager's are current out of employ that are candidates? Steve Bruce...?

Just another day at the Football Association:crazy:

I agree that the FA should have taken the armband off John Terry, but why did they only act when the court case was moved to after the Euro's?

As for where we go from here, I have no idea. Redknapp seems to be the unanimous choice, but his offshore bank account leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I've heard shouts for Wenger, Mourinho, Hiddink, Pearce/Southgate/Brooking, Pardew, Venables and Hoddle.

I've heard shouts for Wenger, Mourinho, Hiddink, Pearce/Southgate/Brooking, Pardew, Venables and Hoddle.

Absolute rubbish, even if it is paper talk.

England just aren't as good as they are claimed to be. The FA does not help, and neither do the players. Ref: Rooney in South Africa. The media don't help either, but it's a case of braindead morons who proclaim England to be #1 'cuz weer da best n u no it' talking the talk, but the team not walking the walk then said fans getting cross that they didn't live up to the monumental pressure on them. Fickle.

I don't know who will be next England manager, but you lot do have some good youth prospects coming through. Whoever succeeds Capello has got a good pool of talent to develop. Which will surely only add to the inevitable pressure in the red tops. And then the cycle begins again...

I don't exactly have a firm grip of all things football, but I for one would like to see this opportunity to start fresh bring about the following:

1. Harry Redknapp in charge.
2. The FA to take a much more hands-off approach to the politics surrounding the players. Their "populist" moves are doing no one any favours (it's embarrassing, actually); let the coach do the coach's job!
3. The media to back way, way off. It's one thing to criticise a player's and coach's performance, but the current state of affairs is ridiculous. Players don't suddenly turn into World Cup winning machines if you pay them lots, invade their privacy and berate them enough. More money doesn't mean more performance! Give the guys some space to work and enjoy their football!
4. The Euros will be a great chance to bring in some new blood. Let's try a whole new approach to football, and allow a young generation of our best (with no expectations) to flourish with our positive support, not crush under the weight of our constant barrages of pressure. Then, 2014 can be our real focus. That's focus, not pressure.

Thoughts...?

Last edited:
Would be a bad move to bring in Redknapp. He's had more relegations than trophies! He'd bring in players he has an affiliation with rather than form based, not a chance he'd leave Lampard or out!. He's also as crooked as they come!

At his age as well, I think the next manager needs to be young with fresh ideas, someone who could stay in the job for more than a couple of years. I think Pardew would be a good candidate, look at the job he's done with an average at best squad this year.

Stuart Pearce takes charge for the next friendly in 3 weeks.

Stuart Pearce and friendly in the same sentence?

Us Scots are always terrified at times like these that you might actually get someone good...

Stuart Pearce and friendly in the same sentence?

Us Scots are always terrified at times like these that you might actually get someone good...

Echoed by us in the West, too.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed at the amount (and calibre) of people who are coming out with the old 'England should be managed by an Englishman!' bit. Why? I think England could use someone like Martin O'Neill or David Moyes, personally... or even Ferguson for that matter. Redknapp is the hot favourite, but why would any of them wish to wreck their reputations by taking on one of the worst jobs in the sport, managing one of biggest showers of overrated players on Earth? Redknapp would be mad to leave Spurs, esp. if they get a Champions League spot next season. And he would be mad to take the England job anyway, even if he were not currently enjoying such success with Spurs.

Back