Capello resigns as England Manager

• Thread starter ECGadget
  • 80 comments
This was back in the days of the Amiga and much, much harder. I had to buy crap players as the United boss but still win because I couldn't not :lol:

I'm guessing you bought rejects like Sicknote Hurst and Horrible Humphreys to complete this dangerous task then?

I have no idea who I even bought :lol: I could boot up the Amiga and check - I still have the save and the only teams that transfer players are anyone you buy players from or anyone who you sell a player to, so they'll all still be there.

£75k maximum value - mostly £50k and £25k. Could have been Billy the Fish for all I knew :D

Related idea: Mike Bassett. That was a decent enough film. Made me laugh.

So, Mike Bassett was a rubbish Championship manager. That means the next boss is either Steve Cotterill, Nigel Clough or Andy Thorn.

I'm sure if they made the application process public, you would get loads of non-league managers, pub team managers, local youth coaches etc. applying for the place, but because of the politics of the sport, it's not really feasible to hire them no matter how good they are. The manager has to have done something at a high enough level to be noticed by the majority of fans.

I still remember how the england job crippled Steve Mclaren's career. Serves him right for leaving Boro :lol:

He won the Eredivisie with Twente Enschede... The first league title in their history...

This was back in the days of the Amiga and much, much harder.

These days there is an actual, dynamic progression system so clubs will genuinely rise and fall to a much greater extent than the same 3 clubs going up and down each season.

Season 2025/26 - We did the quadruple (Europa instead of CL), but surely a record breaking season for Chesterfield?
prem.jpg

Ups and Downs:

Ups Excluding Wrexham
Newport County and Colwyn Bay are in League One (Glitch)
Weymouth and Vauxhall Motors are also in League One
Bath, Basingstoke, Telford, Corby, Fleetwood and Hampton & Richmond are in League Two

Downs
West Ham, Aston Villa, Wigan and Everton are in League One
Stoke and QPR are in League Two
Notts Forest are in the Conference North
Preston were as low as the Conference North, somewhat ironically plummeting through the leagues once Graham Alexander became chairman, but are now back in League Two

It was also a different game - Sensible World of Soccer...

Of course I knew that, I was just showing how things have changed. Since USM 98/99, I've been unable to rig matches and offer bungs.

Came in to read about the new coach. Instead you guys made a game out of it.

England will not do very well coming summer. 👍

:lol:

First round knock out for England. Oranje will be the champs. 3-1 in the final against Spain.

First round knock out for England. Oranje will be the champs. 3-1 in the final against Spain.

Van Bommel to wear some black shades and a leather jacket and destroy the entire Spanish midfield?

England won't win. But somehow, the press will think that they will. As always.

Van Bommel to wear some black shades and a leather jacket and destroy the entire Spanish midfield?

England won't win. But somehow, the press will think that they will. As always.

Together with de Jong. Break a leg, or 2, and give them a real reason to dive.

Well the FA have called a news conference for 4pm today so it looks like Hodgson has accepted the job.

He won the Eredivisie with Twente Enschede... The first league title in their history...

Well, to be fair the media did the crippling. As a result no top flight English club will go near him because of the potential backlash from fans. Doesn't change the fact he is an excellent manager, I just resent him for leaving Boro :lol:.

At least you Red Coats have much prouder soccer tradition than over here.

The MLS is fine. There's a thriving culture and your exported players get better year on year.

It's exactly because of the 'tradition' and the fact that England 'invented' football that the job of England manager is such a highly scrutinised and high pressure job in England.

So Roy has been confirmed. Will not being Harry Redknapp be held against him? Of course. It's inevitable. But, to anybody with even a modicum of sense, appointing Hodgson is a step towards using a little bit more sense. "We want someone with international experience!", "We want someone English!", well there's no other candidate then, is there? He knows what he's doing in the international game, and hopefully, hopefully for your sakes, people will realise that there should be less expectation on a team which has always been reputed as being able to talk the talk, but has only once walked the walk. After the Eriksson-McLaren-Capello era of major expectation, it's all about stability.

The MLS is fine. There's a thriving culture and your exported players get better year on year.

It's exactly because of the 'tradition' and the fact that England 'invented' football that the job of England manager is such a highly scrutinised and high pressure job in England.

So Roy has been confirmed. Will not being Harry Redknapp be held against him? Of course. It's inevitable. But, to anybody with even a modicum of sense, appointing Hodgson is a step towards using a little bit more sense. "We want someone with international experience!", "We want someone English!", well there's no other candidate then, is there? He knows what he's doing in the international game, and hopefully, hopefully for your sakes, people will realise that there should be less expectation on a team which has always been reputed as being able to talk the talk, but has only once walked the walk. After the Eriksson-McLaren-Capello era of major expectation, it's all about stability.

We both know this won't happen. Especially with the "new generation of world beaters."

Quarters at the Euros, sacked by mid '14.

Back