Cappuccino Cup Racing Series :: SEASON 2 PODIUM: Wardez, WiiFreak, dsgerbc/dmanaenk!!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 838 comments
I think a lot of people join because they think the Capp's will be fun and easy and are frustrated when they find out the car can be quite a handful and will bite you if it gets the chance.

Boy did I find that out the hard way, offline on Sport Soft the Cappy is impossible to anger, online tire temp and the alternative grip it's difficult to keep it happy.

My offline setup was way too aggressive for online racing, I've had to half my initial torque and play with the toe out setting. On Laguna Seca, my Cappy was tail happy on the corner before the hill straight and the quick left after the corkscrew. It felt a lot like a MR.

Do you guys tune in a private lounge or just open a public room?

How about this for a handicap: every one gets to race on racing hards, but if you're in top X - you get SS tires. Or SS for everyone and SH for topX. Should be very easy to enforce, but might create some pretty ugly mess in corners :)

dmanaenk
How about this for a handicap: every one gets to race on racing hards, but if you're in top X - you get SS tires. Or SS for everyone and SH for topX. Should be very easy to enforce, but might create some pretty ugly mess in corners :)

That's an interesting idea, I like that much more than adding weight. It's been my experience that the Race Hard tires are good for about 1-1.5 seconds per lap so that would balance things out nicely. I'll have to chew on this for a while and do some testing to see how 2 cars on different compounds fare against each other. Lancer and I have run a lot together, he's usually up with the fast guys and about 1-2 seconds faster than me so I'll try to hook up with him to run some tests.

Regarding the practice environment, I usually practice in my lounge since that's where we usually run the races. If I'm testing something where I don't want other people on track I'll open a public room, name it "TEST" and restrict it to 2 people (minimum) so members don't think I have a Capp Room open and try to join. That's rare though.

I haven't done any real practice at Grand Valley East yet so I'm not sure what a good time would be. I remember at GVE-reverse the fast times were around 1:11 and during my initial tests of GVE-regular I was about 2-3 seconds slower per lap than at the reverse layout, so I'd say 1:13's should be in the right ballbark. But fair warning, there are a few guys here that are always 1-2 seconds faster than the majority so don't get too frustrated when you see that you're a couple seconds off the fast lap. The best battles in the Capp Cup races usually happen in the middle of the pack though, so you don't really want to be up there with those speed snobs anyway. :lol:

Also, offline times are quicker than online times IMO. I was a second or two a lap quicker offline on Laguna Seca.

I have to say that first corner has me worried if we have a large grid, a lot of cappys and not much space and that corner tends to be a bit of an accident blackspot. Should make for a good replay though.

All practice for league racing should be done in your lounge or an open lobby. The physics are different between the 2 and offline the Cappy is a cool drink of water and easy to drive hard. Once it goes online it starts losing its tail and its mind! This applies to all cars in the game but more than one person has been unpleasantly surprised by the online Cappuccino.

StigsHero
All practice for league racing should be done in your lounge or an open lobby. The physics are different between the 2 and offline the Cappy is a cool drink of water and easy to drive hard. Once it goes online it starts losing its tail and its mind! This applies to all cars in the game but more than one person has been unpleasantly surprised by the online Cappuccino.

<<< This guy found that out the hard way at Laguna last week... lol

Lol, I was expecting a difference and I was still caught out. I wasn't expecting THAT much of a difference.

Did about 15 laps around GVE with my LS tune, just ~10mph higher top-speed. Best I could do: 1:13 flat. If I combine my best sectors: maybe 12.8, and 14s during first 5-7 laps. Now, last week I was about a second slower in my lounge compared to race lounge, and I never raced this track, so currently I have no idea what I'm doing in corners 5-6-7. So 1.12 is a reasonable goal to be close to the front of the grid. Fast guys who know this track well will do at least 1.11s, I guess. If I get time to tune - I'll concentrate on even tire wear (wears fronts a lot more than @LS) and on turn 2 speed. So far the best I can do is keep it above 64. I'm guessing one more MPH here is worth quite a lot of total time.

I've been lapping GVE since GT one and I'm sure I'll still be 2-3 seconds off pace.

FWIW, after driving a Capp with chassis reinforcement all last season and the beginning of this season I bought a new one without chassis reinforcement and found it to be much easier to handle. I was averaging almost 1 second per lap faster without CR around Laguna and found it was much easier to drive close to the edge.

I have 137 HP, do I still need to wear in, or am I at top power. Pulling rather depressing 1:19s right now

Menown
I have 137 HP, do I still need to wear in, or am I at top power. Pulling rather depressing 1:19s right now

That is full power. Sounds like your missing an adjustment in either your susp or gearing. Try to find a practice room with anyone who ran the first season and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

So 1:16 on a quick lap and 1:17 consistently, I cannot see where I can gain a full 6 seconds in one lap.

Entry speeds
My lap is, hairpin at 62, exit at in the 70s, flat out, dab the break for the quick right hander and again for the next right, slow to 65 for the next right, 45 for the left into the tunnel out of tunnel right hander at 75, down hill final sweeper at 72, hit a top speed of 122. Tranny set to 143 with some ratio tweaks.

I just relized that I am an idiot. Im looking at these laptimes and wondering why I was like a minute slower than everybody. Then I re checed the schedule and saw we were running grand valley EAST insead of grand valley. Im going to go look in the mirror and slap myself in the face for awhile.

So 1:16 on a quick lap and 1:17 consistently, I cannot see where I can gain a full 6 seconds in one lap.

Entry speeds
My lap is, hairpin at 62, exit at in the 70s, flat out, dab the break for the quick right hander and again for the next right, slow to 65 for the next right, 45 for the left into the tunnel out of tunnel right hander at 75, down hill final sweeper at 72, hit a top speed of 122. Tranny set to 143 with some ratio tweaks.
Try this gearing.Reset to default-adjust top speed to 168 mph-then adjust final ratio to 5.200.Shift gears at no higher than 8000 rpms.

I just relized that I am an idiot. Im looking at these laptimes and wondering why I was like a minute slower than everybody. Then I re checed the schedule and saw we were running grand valley EAST insead of grand valley. Im going to go look in the mirror and slap myself in the face for awhile.

It's ok, you can run the full Grand Valley if you want but the rest of us will be running Grand Valley East. :lol:

Try this gearing.Reset to default-adjust top speed to 168 mph-then adjust final ratio to 5.200.Shift gears at no higher than 8000 rpms.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm going to show up tonight even if I miss the start of the race so I can see where I'm slow. I think I'm losing a lot out of the hairpin, I think that is where this race is won or lost. A little slip there and my T1 split is down half a second, adding that up over the whole uphill run with out little engines, yikes.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm going to show up tonight even if I miss the start of the race so I can see where I'm slow.

I'll wait up for you before starting the race. If you don't think you're going to make it send me a PM on here and/or PSN. Qualifying starts at 8:15pm EDT and the race will probably start around 8:35 so as long as you can make it by 8:30 or so you should be good. 👍

My wife is out tonight, so I have solo baby bed duty, she usually drops off between 8 and 8:40, last night was 8:32, which would have screwed me over, so don't actually delay everyone for just me, if I'm late I'll join and watch. If I make it, I'll join, get lapped twice then watch the replay :)

^^ Who was that masked man?

If you plan to attend tonight please copy and paste then add your name:

1. StigsHero/BrandonW77

1. StigsHero/BrandonW77
2. Menown/Freakyweakywoo (tentative yes, daughter permitting :scared:)

1. StigsHero/BrandonW77
2. Menown/Freakyweakywoo (tentative yes, daughter permitting )
3.torzilla/torzilla

Quick question, I didn't reinforce my chassis, as I heard it can mess up the handling, what is the consensus here. I'm holding off as it can't be undone.

Good news. I'll be able to race tonight!

1. StigsHero/BrandonW77
2. Menown/Freakyweakywoo (tentative yes, daughter permitting )
3.torzilla/torzilla
4. MULE_9242/MÜLE_9242

Won't be in this week. Hopefully Saturday I can free up and make the race. Heading out of town for three days. Gonna miss me some Cappy racing.

Back