Cars that shouldn't be in GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter conrm001
  • 141 comments
  • 6,807 views
GM = TRASH
I can think of at least one vehicle that DOESN"T belong in GT4.

Honda Oddoussy(spelling?) COME ON!!
I've said this in another thread, and it's true:

A Honda Odyssey will hand a Jaguar E-Type its ass on a silver platter, in real life. In handling and acceleration. On an autocross course, it's not even close. Even with the Jag on modern tires.
 
Duke
I've said this in another thread, and it's true:

A Honda Odyssey will hand a Jaguar E-Type its ass on a silver platter, in real life. In handling and acceleration. On an autocross course, it's not even close. Even with the Jag on modern tires.

Wow! A modern family car can beat a 40 year-old sports car! That is so cool!

[/sarcasm]

I have no problem with minivans in GT though. To each their own.
 
conrm001
I think that there are too many cars in GT4.


There shouldn't be:
cars older than twenty years old except nice race cars
less normal cars e.g. citroen c5


add your own :)


not to flame, but,

"Bull Crap! Brought to you by the fine makers of Red Bull."
 
Grand Prix
Wow! A modern family car can beat a 40 year-old sports car! That is so cool!

[/sarcasm]

I have no problem with minivans in GT though. To each their own.
We're holding up the issue of the Odyssey being unsuited to GT. I'm saying its performance in handling and acceleration qualify it for inclusion. It's not like there are 33 minivans in the game.
 
I think it's a business strategy using GT4 as advertisment. Car makers put minivans and pick up trucks in the game so people can actually test drive it for themselves.
 
Duke
I've said this in another thread, and it's true:

A Honda Odyssey will hand a Jaguar E-Type its ass on a silver platter, in real life. In handling and acceleration. On an autocross course, it's not even close. Even with the Jag on modern tires.

Please excuse my disbelief, but how would you come to that conclusion?

Jag has a top speed of about 150 and was built to take corners. I realize it has 'ancient' technology but still I can't believe the stock minivan would beat it on your average racing course.
 
kennythebomb
Please excuse my disbelief, but how would you come to that conclusion?
I'd come to that conclusion, because the guys at Grassroots Motorsports tested their prior-model Odyssey against a restored E-Type and a restored Porsche 356. They ran 1/4 miles and an autocross course of about 1 minute lap duration. The Porsche wasn't anywhere remotely near the Odyssey, and the E-Type lost pretty badly too. That was on stock rubber for the Odyssey. Then they went plus-1 and with some good 3-season tires on the Odyssey and left the E-Type by an even larger margin.

These are not your typical magazine guys; they are all autocrossers and amateur racers. They know how to drive and what they're talking about.
 
Duke
I'd come to that conclusion, because the guys at Grassroots Motorsports tested their prior-model Odyssey against a restored E-Type and a restored Porsche 356. They ran 1/4 miles and an autocross course of about 1 minute lap duration. The Porsche wasn't anywhere remotely near the Odyssey, and the E-Type lost pretty badly too. That was on stock rubber for the Odyssey. Then they went plus-1 and with some good 3-season tires on the Odyssey and left the E-Type by an even larger margin.

These are not your typical magazine guys; they are all autocrossers and amateur racers. They know how to drive and what they're talking about.

Ok, so it would be the same for an actual racing circuit? Crazy...
 
I'll bet the Odyssey can't beat this minivan:

j8yBja3d.jpg


:)

I think I'll say something bold regarding the issue of ancient cars in the game: There aren't enough of them! There's a huge gap of 51 years between 1886 and 1937 in GT4's car lineup (not including the Model T)! Where are the Panhards? Where are the Napiers? Bugattis? Delahayes? Locomobiles? Mors? These are significant manufacturers in racing history! Panhard dominated racing in the 1900s. Napier made the colour green Britain's national racing colour. Locomobile showed the Europeans that America could win at their own game. Mors revolutionized automobile design and aerodynamics. Bugatti dominated racing from the 20s to 30s.
Surely these cars deserve a spot far more than another Skyline? But meh, I'm ranting. Kids these days. :lol:
 
Grand Prix
I'll bet the Odyssey can't beat this minivan:

j8yBja3d.jpg


:)

I think I'll say something bold regarding the issue of ancient cars in the game: There aren't enough of them! There's a huge gap of 51 years between 1886 and 1937 in GT4's car lineup (not including the Model T)! Where are the Panhards? Where are the Napiers? Bugattis? Delahayes? Locomobiles? Mors? These are significant manufacturers in racing history! Panhard dominated racing in the 1900s. Napier made the colour green Britain's national racing colour. Locomobile showed the Europeans that America could win at their own game. Mors revolutionized automobile design and aerodynamics. Bugatti dominated racing from the 20s to 30s.
Surely these cars deserve a spot far more than another Skyline? But meh, I'm ranting. Kids these days. :lol:

All good picks. I wish they would bring back the Espace F1....or whatever it was called.
 
kennythebomb
All good picks. I wish they would bring back the Espace F1....or whatever it was called.

Yeps, it was called the Espace F1. It had the 1996(?) Williams engine and suspension in it, among other things. :cool:
 
I believe the Formula Gran Turismo shouldn't be in the game. The AI cars always screw up, crashing into walls where anyone with common sense wouldn't have trouble. Not to mention this isn't really the type of game for those cars.



The pre-1900 cars should be left out too, history is all good but not in a video game.


Other than that I don't have a problem with the car selection.
 
smellysocks12
I believe the Formula Gran Turismo shouldn't be in the game. The AI cars always screw up, crashing into walls where anyone with common sense wouldn't have trouble. Not to mention this isn't really the type of game for those cars.



The pre-1900 cars should be left out too, history is all good but not in a video game.


Other than that I don't have a problem with the car selection.

I like F1 cars, dont take them away from the game. But I am with you on all those pre 1900 cars, go ahead take them out, oh better take them to Forza. :dopey:
 
Duke
That leaves 13 other car slots that could have been used better. Here's a list right off the top of my head:

1970 MGB-GT
1970 Triumph GT6 - imagine the races between those two
1996 Chevy Impala SS
1972 Pontiac Trans Am SD 455
2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1990 Saab 900 Turbo SPG
1971 BRE Datsun 510
1972 BRE Datsun 240Z
1995 Dodge Neon ACR Coupe
1982 Fiat/Bertone X/19
1982 Toyota Celica Supra - Japan's first real export pony car
1986 Dodge Omni GLH-S
1986 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo - again, a great pair to match up

That's 13 widely-varied cars off the top of my head. Only 1 of them would require a new license for PD, and none of them are rare or hard to document. 4 of the 13 are even Japanese.
You, sir, have excellent taste. 3 of those (MGB and the Pontiacs) are definitely on my top-10 list of cars that I don't understand why they don't have in the game, and the rest are excellent choices as well. Also, why no MGA? One of the most popular cars for GIs coming back from the war, they sold tons of them. They've had MG for a long time, and the only car they're put in is the worst one MG's ever produced. MG is known for their classics, not the F :yuck: If they'd put an MGA in the game I could get my dad hooked on it and he wouldn't bug me as much when I play it :D
 
Grand Prix
Yeps, it was called the Espace F1. It had the 1996(?) Williams engine and suspension in it, among other things. :cool:

1993 according to the magazine I'm looking at now (Performance Car, August 1995)

"The most important parts of the non-standard hardware are lifted straight from the Williams-Renault FW14 grand prix car, the one which spirited that nice Mr. Prost to the World Championship in 1993"

edit: They also quote the performance figure of 0-125mph in 6.9 seconds :crazy:
 
smellysocks12
The pre-1900 cars should be left out too, history is all good but not in a video game.


Other than that I don't have a problem with the car selection.

Isn't the game called "Gran Turismo" though? I'd think that without auto racing, "Grand Touring" cars wouldn't exist. If it weren't for a few rich and daring drivers in the 1890s, the concept of automobiles designed for more than just transportation would have been seriously delayed. In fact, motor racing almost died in the 1903 Paris-Madrid race, when the public at large finally realizied that racing was deadly. The French government was outraged by the slaugther in the 1903 race that was known as "The Race to Death". But racecars survived. These performance machines, with the help and courage of those willing to race them, would inspire new categories for the automobile; the sports car, the touring car, the roadster, and other categories associated with speed.

PD has said that GT is about the history of the automobile, and to dismiss the evolution line of vehicles that formed the Grand Tourer would be like reading a book without the first chapter, or listening to a song without an opening sequence. The experience would be incomplete. I quote an old proverb; "How can you know where you are going, if you do not know where you came from?"
 
and packards, and old fords from the 30's. and al capone's armored cars!
 
Pt Crusier,Dhitsue Midget, replace those two with a Trans Am or one more corvette
 
Grand Prix
Isn't the game called "Gran Turismo" though? I'd think that without auto racing, "Grand Touring" cars wouldn't exist. If it weren't for a few rich and daring drivers in the 1890s, the concept of automobiles designed for more than just transportation would have been seriously delayed. In fact, motor racing almost died in the 1903 Paris-Madrid race, when the public at large finally realizied that racing was deadly. The French government was outraged by the slaugther in the 1903 race that was known as "The Race to Death". But racecars survived. These performance machines, with the help and courage of those willing to race them, would inspire new categories for the automobile; the sports car, the touring car, the roadster, and other categories associated with speed.

PD has said that GT is about the history of the automobile, and to dismiss the evolution line of vehicles that formed the Grand Tourer would be like reading a book without the first chapter, or listening to a song without an opening sequence. The experience would be incomplete. I quote an old proverb; "How can you know where you are going, if you do not know where you came from?"


Leave the history in the text book. world is moving foward not backward.
 
Or...leave the history in the game, and continue putting new cars in. Sheeze people, don't take out cars, just put in more! Some people like history. Not me, I find it boring, but I DO like the old cars :D They're much more interesting than new cars :crazy:
 
Sti04
Leave the history in the text book. world is moving foward not backward.

Of course it's moving forward. However, that doesn't mean the cars I mentioned above should be forgotten. I want both historical and modern autos in GT. Once the most historic cars are in the games PD can just concentrate on modern vehicles from there. It can't be that hard to add a few more cars to the current list of 700 can it? I mean, they already have all the basic files and polygons of the cars, it's not like they have to start from zero for each individual game. :rolleyes: The more cars the merrier!
 
Id like to see more old rally cars included, stuff like the Hillman Hunter GT and the Mk I Escort. I think 3 variations of each model and year of car is enough. Midnight Purple Skyline should be a special colour, not model of car stopping something else being in the game.
 
This'll prolly earn me a few flames, but military vehicles might have a place in GT - just hear me out now....

I was in the 1st Gulf War and had to drive a hummer around for a bit - one evening coming back from one part of the desert to my base camp I got into a sort of Baja race with an Aussie, a Brit and a 2nd hummer (the Aussie and Brit were in their own versions of a hummer/4x4/off-road transport). We had a blast since none of us knew the terrain all THAT well, the lead was constantly changing as we charged through the desert side by side. Nobody won as we all ended up heading our seperate directions - but it was soooooooo much fun!

Since they've included trucks in the game, and since it is about the history of driving et. all - I don't see why we couldn't have things like the old Jeep Eagle (would make a cool rally car) - the old CJ5's and such - dune buggies, and so on.

Admitedly they have a limited use (such as Baja style Rally racing) but they already give us cars that have limited use so...

My 2 Cents (well 4 or so since I've posted here already ;) )

UMP
 
That gives me a thought... Given the size of the BluRay disk, and the presence already of two Mitsubishi Shogun vehicles from the race, I'd like to see at least some Paris-Dakar stages in GT4.

The poblem arises that there is no such thing - just a start point, a finish point and occasionally some checkpoints you must pass through, but everything else is free roaming.
 
Sti04
I have nothing against historic cars, but I certainly dont want see them as a prize car after I spent a chunk load of money on one make race. I think PD should make them buyable and sellable in the game. Award us with decent racecars or supercars.

i hear you man, and i agree with you.
thank god we have a forum like this so that we can avoid or take on particular races with nice/sucky prize cars.

I have nothing against historic or boring or ho-hum cars. to each his own. I think the charm of gt4 is that there's something nice for everyone (a car that you actually own, or your dream car, or a car from your past)

but if I were to give in to my rants, I'd say some mini-hatches BORE the life out of me.
 
speedy_samurai
..One of the best cars in the game!


me + G4 + all mods - driving aids + nurburgring = fun fun fun

anyone else think the car is boring with the aids on?
 
Back