Check this damage model out.

• Thread starter GTO_VR4
  • 41 comments
Eventually every part will be modeled. But this is a pretty cool start. The truck looks like it doesn't have enough mass/inertia to be realistic. That or the gravity isn't strong enough.

:55-1:11 one of my dads college friends died that way. He went off the interstate and clipped one of those cement pole things that hold up an overpass. It was a long time ago (I wasn't born yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be awesome in Gran Turismo. Except for the fact that most cars wouldn't be able to get this damaged. For some reason manufacturers don't like seeing their cars smushed into a wall. Oh well. I'm sure the guys who made that will have a good future.

And you would know how?

This game engine belongs to Crytek. What makes you so sure that it's gonna be in GT6?

And you would know how?

This game engine belongs to Crytek. What makes you so sure that it's gonna be in GT6?

Because by then all the kinks should be worked out.

Either way, this proves a perfect system can be done. It's not PD, but PD can make their own. GT5's was practice. Kind of like when consoles last gen barely got an official online system going. It was a test run and now it's well established. Or ragdoll physics and dynamic shadows. Ya, you saw those last gen but very limited, but now they appear in every game.

Same here. They made the foundation, now they just gotta play with it. I'd say they got 5 years to do it.

I don't expect much more than what we have now. If anything we might see some windows crack.

No offense to PD but this is their first time doing damage. They should have been experimenting back on the PS2. For the games that look decent now, those companies have been doing it for a while and they have had time to tweek it to at least get it where they have it.

I'd say two more games for them to get it to Kaz's vision or what we think would damage should look like.

Its always helpful to put a litle description to clarified things up.
but I dont expect a driving simulator focusing on crash physics that much.
The video is very nice but personally I really don't expect dramatic changes for GT6 or PS4.
That kind of physics... online? Your console is gonna fry.

Also, I dont think any car company want to see their cars wrecked like this.

Just take Dirt Showdown as example. They rarely have license now and thats mainly because of the damage mod.

^I wish people would quit making this statement. Many games show OEM cars getting crunched. This is a old PD excuse.

^I wish people would quit making this statement. Many games show OEM cars getting crunched. This is a old PD excuse.

Look what happened in F1 2011, they stopped huge crashes to avoid the sponsored panels getting crumpled!!!!

Grid did it best :/

Very neat, but i doubt GT6 will have it.
BTW what game uses this engine?

It's called the CryEngine 3 created by Crytek and it's in its 3rd generation now. It's been used in the Crysis series, and will be in both Homefront 2 and Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2.

Awesome that that rigs and rods team technology will be used in future games!!

Game 1nsane( from codemasters) had similar physics stuff and was one of the most underrated games at the time.

Imagine this system in GTA or other mayhem games :D

Just take Dirt Showdown as example. They rarely have license now and thats mainly because of the damage mod.

The main thing about Dirt Showdown's lack of licensed cars is that most of the cars are rusty old beaters used for demo derby events, therefore car brands wouldn't want to be associated with this.

That still doesn't make sense. Look at Grid. The car destruction in that goes way further than Showdown does. Showdown disappointed me in its lack of demolition of the cars.

This was my instant thought.

If this sort of engine was to be in any GT, it would have to have the ability to change itself as you modify the car as the physics would alter. I'd imagine it would take up a lot of space for 1000+ cars.

Not a problem for GTA as realism isn't massively important and the cars are made up and not so changeable.

trk29

I agree. PD has the worst damage modell in Racing Games recently released.
Only rally Cars have a Good damage model.

But PD will Not use the engine. They have their own.

If you put that kinda damage model in a racing game people will just turn it into a demo derby game to watch parts fly. Would be next to impossible to get a clean race. While most games could use a bit better damage model lets save this level of detail for games designed for destruction instead of racing.

I think Forza's damage model is perfect. They add a level of somewhat realistic damage(at least better than PD's) and the manufactures are obviously alright with it. If GT6 could have this sort of damage I would be happy. Personally I think they should focus more on modeling new cars and tracks.

Back