Civic Sadness

  • Thread starter Thread starter ~Sp33~
  • 981 comments
  • 46,431 views
In response to the SOHC vs DOHC discussion:

SOHC engines and DOHC engines are sometimes distinguished by the number of valves per cylinder. It's simple for a SOHC head to move 2 valves per cylinder, and it's easier to incorporate 4 valves per cylinder if you've got a DOHC head.
So, if a particular model has both a 2-valve SOHC engine and a 4-valve DOHC engine available, the difference in valve numbers means the SOHC engine will provide more torque and low-end power, and the DOHC engine will run more efficiently and provide more high-end power, at the expense of low-end power and torque.

There are SOHC 4-valves-per-cylinder engines (Honda does this), but the valves are actuated via rocker arms, which increases friction and reduces high-end power. That's why sportier models continue to use DOHC.

:cheers:
 
I think someone could help me with the term ''all motor'', what does it means ??? I watch alot of racing vids and saw ''all motor'' Civic's... What is it exactly ?? A friend of mine told me that it was a ''type'' of tuning, but I dont listen to him so much cause he tells alot of crap just to be interesting... lol
 
I know squat about Hondas but I'd say "all motor" was a tuning company/maker of aftermarket parts.
 
"All Motor" is just a way of saying "NA-tuned", unswapped.
 
oh god you guys are funny! this is like explaining sex to an alien...

all motor means that all of the engines power is made alone without the aid of a turbo or supercharger.
 
barryl85
Hmm yes i do seem to remember that "real" racing is not always in a straight line - and no i still dont seem to catch that the D16 would beat a B16.

Hey, you're more than welcome to check the race standings at www.stbrscca.com. The results speak for themselves. Yeah, I've spanked an EK Si and EP Si -- and yes, an S2000 on occasion. Then again, it's fair (if not egotistical) to say that you can chalk these victories up to driver skill. ;)

Feel free to poke around and take a look at those results. Until then, keep laughing -- that's what a lot of drivers do before I whoop 'em. :)
 
what model are you thinking of stealing your engine from psi civic?
 
well, when it comes down to it, whatever i can find cheap and/or in good condition. i have my eyes on several engines. the ones at the top of my head would be a d16a6, dohc zc, a vtec d16 or a b18a. i need to decide if i want to go turbo or all motor first. i'm not going to swap anything for a while yet.
 
All motor is much more impressive IMO. More Hp without an external aspiration is cool.
 
pSI civic
oh god you guys are funny! this is like explaining sex to an alien...

all motor means that all of the engines power is made alone without the aid of a turbo or supercharger.

ahahah... Well it represents me good... I dont want any turbo or supercharger... So my EF will be all motor... :D
 
pSI civic
well, when it comes down to it, whatever i can find cheap and/or in good condition. i have my eyes on several engines. the ones at the top of my head would be a d16a6, dohc zc, a vtec d16 or a b18a. i need to decide if i want to go turbo or all motor first. i'm not going to swap anything for a while yet.

ZC DOHC is a good choice, got it myself and its good. VTEC would be very good for an EF. B serie all the way... b18a2 would be very good in my opinion.

I hope you find the boot for your feet... The engine is a quite big thing to think about...
 
man i cant wait to get mine. theres not alot of great deals floating around atm
 
XD, we can wait together. Your getting an EF right?. what are you expecting to pay?
 
~Sp33~
XD, we can wait together. Your getting an EF right?. what are you expecting to pay?

No I already got an EF... I'm waiting for a b18c1... Not the same thing actually. I cant wait to get that thing on my EF

b18c1 :drool: :bowdown:

176HP :drool: :bowdown:

VTEC :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
 
its a very tuff choice really. idealy the engine i chose would have a very linear power band. this eliminates vtec. i like sohc engines but in order to have the power i want i'd need a turbo and this goes against my all motor leanings and the linear powerband i want. now from what i have just said a b18a with some good cams would be my choice but given the extra weight on the front i am still considering a d series engine with a race cam.

see, with me, its not the top speed that matters. its the top speed at which i can change direction.

now dj, i know someone that owns an integra gs-r with the engine you want. it is a rather nice, powerfull engine and the vtec hits nice and hard but honestly it felt like forever till it did hit.
 
yeah i found that too. It felts like the car was too heavy for the engine... But I saw some EG with b18c1 that was really fast... Anyway, if it does not work like I want, I still cant remove it and sell it...

I'm saying, if the b18c1 can give good results with an EG, why wont it works greater with an EF, I mean its lighter than an EG... Well we'll see...
 
just as well then XD. Just a bit of vaseline and a shoehorn.
 
~Sp33~
just as well then XD. Just a bit of vaseline and a shoehorn.

I saw an EF with a b18c5 Type R... That was quite fast !!!!!!! But the car was supercharged tho. I think its a waste of money for a this type of engine...
 
id still prefer a supercharger then a turbo, especialy in a vtec
 
👍 yeah... but PSI has a point, those things take forever to hit the powerband, not a good thing if you're autocrossing or doing track duty.

Fun to rev them just for the sake of revving, though.
 
woooooooo! i have a point for once and i'm not wrong about it! woooooooooooooooooooo!
 
niky
👍 yeah... but PSI has a point, those things take forever to hit the powerband, not a good thing if you're autocrossing or doing track duty.

Fun to rev them just for the sake of revving, though.

sort your gear ratios out for a narrow powerband car then... the infosuperweb is good for this kind of thing.
 
Back