Codemasters to acquire Slightly Mad Studios

Quite a good fit with game portfolios. CM could benefit (if they choose to) from the SMS physics engine. It sounds like future SMS games will be branded as Codemasters games. You do wonder how much independence they will give Mr Bell and his team.

Are... are we suggesting the F1 series isn't a simulator?

Bruh.

Personally, I don't consider the Codies F1 games to be "sims." They are great games but I don't think they are really an accurate representation of a Formula 1 car. Dirt Rally, on the other hand, I would consider that a sim.

Quite a good fit with game portfolios. CM could benefit (if they choose to) from the SMS physics engine. It sounds like future SMS games will be branded as Codemasters games. You do wonder how much independence they will give Mr Bell and his team.
F1 could do with SMS's patented Curb Mine™ technology. :sly:

For me, this is not the best news. However, I do wish both parties all the best.

The bits of news here and there about PCARS Revolution really does start to add up.

Personally, I don't consider the Codies F1 games to be "sims." They are great games but I don't think they are really an accurate representation of a Formula 1 car. Dirt Rally, on the other hand, I would consider that a sim.

I couldn't agree more.. F1 games are still lacking the excitement of the real thing, they are too bland... Dirt Rally on the other hand.. Dirt Rally 2.0 is an absolute gem.

And just to comment on Project Cars.. I participated at the early stages of Project Cars... I mean really early, so I was hot-lapping a couple of cars on a couple of tracks and boy, was that a joy! As soon as it was production-ready it was a total mess.. feedback was awkward on my G25 so I dropped it - while at the early stages was rockin'. Who cares how good the physics are if they aren't translated properly to feedback? However, I still remember fondly GT Legends, etc... how could they get things so wrong?

Also, don't forget about Codemasters acquiring Evolution studios as well - Driveclub is one of my favorites (as an arcade though, haven't even tried with my wheel)

So we have Codemasters, SMS and Evolution studios... take weather tech/effects from Driveclub, take SMS designers & modelers and take Codemasters physics engine... that I'd love to see!

Meh, remains to be seen if this works out. Both PC1 + 2 are dreadfully boring, and the new GRID game is super safe with little innovation. I would hope for better from a combined work ethic.

I wonder how far in development and how much money SMS wasted on that Mad box console, which still baffles me Ian wanted to compete in the AAA console market considering the company is apparently only worth $30 mil. :lol:

Not a fan of Codies post launch monetization, here’s hoping for the best.

High chance codemasters will f it up.

With GRID seemingly flopping hard I'm not sure of that*. It may be the wake-up call Codies needs to realize that making a quality game with sufficient initial content is a better moneymaker in the long run, especially when talking about a genre where people will play a game far longer than most genres.

*Yes, OnRush also flopped, but I think a new IP flopping isn't as big of a deal as a well-established one.

Certainly a surprise, but if both parties recognise and combine their strengths (SMS attention to detail on track, Codies making a fun & accessible game), it could work out.

I recall Ian tweeting that the next PCR game would be more gamey and accessible (while still being a sim) months ago... perhaps bearing reference to this expected acquisition.

Where does this leave the Russian company that bought ~49% of SMS earlier on?

After they botched Micro Machines to hell, made the career in DR 2.0 Online only (freeplay doesn't count) and butchered GRID 2019's release so poorly with so many issues, removing DX11 and having the guts to use the LikeNoOther hashtag, I have got a terrible feeling about this.

Like I said it before, I will say it again, do not pre-order their stuff, wait for reviews, keep your ears and eyes open about this.

I bought Project Cars games to get away from Codemasters. Now this gives me even less reason to buy A PS5 and I don't see many new racing games coming soon.

Last edited:
How? Other than "codies bad!"

I mean...have you not looked at Codemasters actions since at least DiRT 4? Doesn't exactly engender a lot of confidence, especially when you take into account what SMS has in the pipe (and how much of it actually survives the transition) and how fiercely independent SMS is, alongside how boisterous Ian Bell is, that this will work out.

Like, the concerns people have, especially on the Codemasters side of things, aren't exactly made out of thin air.

It may be the wake-up call Codies needs to realize that making a quality game with sufficient content is a better moneymaker, especially when talking about a genre where people will play a game far longer than most genres.

It could also mean that they don't have to do much work anymore, and can just let SMS coast by using the Madness engine to power their games from this point forward (which would be a huge benefit, I do not understand why Codies continues to shackle themselves to that garbage EGO engine, especially considering how many people have rightfully pointed out how poor tarmac physics are, and the general pivot nature of DiRT Rally's handling model) It also could mean they could care less, and just continue with the antics of DR2.0 and GRID 2019.

Really, as it stands, I don't think we can do much else but wonder, especially when one takes into account how modern Codemasters is.

Back