Codemasters to acquire Slightly Mad Studios

Pcars2 did not do well so I think this was needed by them to survive. Codies Grid looks really bad. Their F1 games are ok. I wonder if SMS guys will be allowed to make Pcars or they will help Codies with their current IP. Whatever they do. Codies will definitely have a influence. May be they will start fresh and make new IP.

Less competition for GT. Adds resources to CM to allow them to improve their products.
Good for everyone maybe.

GT is still my personal favourite racer and I can’t see that changing unless PD close their doors.

Well I don’t know what to think. I just hope this is a good move. It at least keeps SMS alive and able to make future titles. I hope Codies can help them with the controls because I find PC2 fun and frustrating. I’m still not happy with me G29 it’s just always snapping no matter the settings it just feels weird. AC I don’t have that much trouble some cars I need to adjust but the majority feel great out of the box. GTS and F1 I’m quite good with the G29. It’s just PC2 that’s gives me troubles. Anyways I hope Codies do right by them because Driver club guys didn’t make a good game when they went there. I’m still waiting for V8 Supercars they have the talent and the license so what’s stopping them. Let’s all hope this is a good move because I was liking what SMS was able to do on their own.

Pcars2 did not do well so I think this was needed by them to survive. Codies Grid looks really bad. Their F1 games are ok. I wonder if SMS guys will be allowed to make Pcars or they will help Codies with their current IP. Whatever they do. Codies will definitely have a influence. May be they will start fresh and make new IP.

Hi all :) Anything happening?

Project CARS 2 did very well indeed :) Just needed to correct that.

Normally I would be interested, but considering DiRT4 not living up to par with DR1 and the previous titles (Excluding Showdown), how OnRush was a flop and Rushy left the studio, GRID 2019 feeling tone deaf, barebones, and a step backwards for the series, and the continued DLC practices, I've losing trust in CM and therefor, I can't help but to have some concerns over this acquisition.

Maybe this could be a potential wake-up call for CM to get back on the ball and put more time into putting out more complete and less rushed titles.

Last edited:
My heart tells me yes this is awesome...maybe we can have more pcars sim elements in Codies' annual F1 games and have the F1 games' excellent weather system and safety car in our sim Pcars games.

My brain tells me be very concerned...highly doubt Pcars will remain as sim as 2 was and won't be surprised at all if we move back to Pcars1 level of simulation.

Eventually I reckon we'll see Pcars just go simcade and will become Grid in 5 years time.

The same bugs and issues has been holding the F1 games back for years now. At least the F1 games are a lot of fun...but they have serious issues.

Finding it very hard to think that this partnership will end up being beneficial to both games...even though it could so easily but we've all seen this type of partnership just killing the smaller entity so many times in the past.

Surprising news indeed but I don't like this, Codemasters has done quite a few bad/weird decision to their own recent games (recycling first game content as DLC and platform exclusive game mode). I hope all the best for SMS but I'm worried what the future will be, I hope it change my mind when the first CM + SMS game comes out.

I guess this is also the end of WMD, I quite enjoy making liveries in it for pCARS 2 last time.

There are two options - bad, and good.
A good one is if Pcars physics appears in Codemasters arcades (F1 and Dirt), and then you can finally call them simulators, and enjoy driving. Codemasters games have a gameplay, but no physics. Pcars physics is not perfect, but it more similar a car - there is weight, balance, FFB, and other nuances.
It would be a celebration.

The bad option is if Pcars3 gets physics, more precisely control (physics cannot be called) from Grid, F1.. Then you can forget about everyone.
The saddest thing is that the second option is more likely. Since fans of racing on a keyboard - more than simers, which means they bring more money...
Where marketers come, don 't expect a good one. They are ready for money to destroy any idea, any creativity, all the good things that passionate people work for.

Last edited:
Hi all :) Anything happening?

Project CARS 2 did very well indeed :) Just needed to correct that.
I started replaying PCARS 2 (on Steam for the first time) just on Sunday. Good timing. :)

My dream game would be a BTCC (TOCA), or even a TCR (even though no RWD :irked:) racing game based on the PCars platform ..... as an optimist I'm going to put my head in the clouds and hope this will make it possible :dopey: (a man can dream :lol:)

Also, don't forget about Codemasters acquiring Evolution studios as well - Driveclub is one of my favorites (as an arcade though, haven't even tried with my wheel)

So we have Codemasters, SMS and Evolution studios... take weather tech/effects from Driveclub, take SMS designers & modelers and take Codemasters physics engine... that I'd love to see!

It would be bad if That weathertech of Driveclub is not going to be used in other titles. . It is actually the most impressive thing I have seen this generation.

Driveclub on a wheel is actually pretty good. Friend of mine came over a few years back with a PS4, T300RS wheel and a playseat.
We played Assetto Corsa, Driveclub and Project Cars 2. DC felt a lot better than Project Cars 2 in my opinion.

On topic: Not really enthusiastic about the news, I am not a fan of either of their engines. But lets see what they bring.

Dunno why DR2 and Grid are flooded as games. They are really good. Probably the best they've ever done as they are direct evolutions of previous games.

Sales is another thing, but I dont have realiable data regarding that matter.

don't expect any influence of technology between the 2 companies for current projects.
There will be F1-2020 with CM tech and pCARS3 with SMS tech. Its too late to implement foreign code to current projects.
As seen, AMS2 needs about 2 years to convert and integrate from AMS1 to Madness engines.
But in long term there could be great new projects with synergy effects from both worlds.
My favorite would be a Dirt Rally concept with Madness engine Livetrack, physics etc.
And a F1-2021 in VR :cheers:

I'm surprised about this, I thought that Codemasters was in a poor financial situation after releasing so many games with poor sales.

poor is relative.
Selling 30 million copies pCARS1 is good sales.
Selling 80 million copies F1 is poor sales, though much more revenue.

Latest Posts

Back