Conundrum - lead to cost analysis

• Thread starter Lawndart
  • 168 comments
Other than the additional cost, is there a downside to overinvesting in a power supply? Does a 750 churning out say 300 watts, run hotter (or colder or the same) than a 500 churning out 300 watts? Is there a substantial size difference?
A PSU with a good margin runs cooler and quieter as well as reducing the chances of a failure. As for sizes, AFAIK they're basically all the same, but the depth can vary, at least in the ATX PSU power range you're thinking about.

Further changes I recommend are the CPU cooler to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and also maybe worth spending a bit extra on ssd with about 240GB / 256GB as 120GB might be quite low once everything you want is installed and also something with better customer reviews as reliability of SSD is I think worth the extra money over more higher chance of hassle of replacing drive and data loss.

After reading the reviews and looking at the overall performance and features of each CPU cooler, I'll be sticking with the Arctic Cooler due in part to it's better listed performance and longer warranty. And I agree about the SSD and had already researched each model more in depth, I've selected the Crucial MX100 since it seems to be the best fit in terms of performance and my budget. And considering my current computer's 1TB Hard Drive is barely 1/4 of the way full, I don't think I'd run out of storage on my SSD, especially paired with another 1TB HD.

Now I think I've finally narrowed it down (I wonder how many more times I'm going to say this) to two build options that differ in the CPU and GPU. I found a less expensive MOBO that still had the features I was looking for which gave me a few extra bills to play with.

CPU: i5-4690K GPU: Radeon R9 280 Total: $825
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Snaeper/saved/JVvdnQ

CPU: i5-4590 GPU: Radeon R9 280X Total: $864
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Snaeper/saved/YkNxFT

I would, at this point, ideally like to go with the 4690K (even though I don't plan on overclocking, at least not by much), due to the builds overall lower expense, and since I can always upgrade the GPU later. But since I don't plan on Overclocking, would it be better to just go with the 4590 and get a much better Graphics Card?

EDIT:

Or I throw out the HDD altogether (only to purchase it later), and go with a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, and get the 4690K and R9 280X for $796..

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Snaeper/saved/sKQcCJ

Uhh yeah, I think I've answered my own questions!

Last edited:
After reading the reviews and looking at the overall performance and features of each CPU cooler, I'll be sticking with the Arctic Cooler due in part to it's better listed performance and longer warranty. And I agree about the SSD and had already researched each model more in depth, I've selected the Crucial MX100 since it seems to be the best fit in terms of performance and my budget. And considering my current computer's 1TB Hard Drive is barely 1/4 of the way full, I don't think I'd run out of storage on my SSD, especially paired with another 1TB HD.

Now I think I've finally narrowed it down (I wonder how many more times I'm going to say this) to two build options that differ in the CPU and GPU. I found a less expensive MOBO that still had the features I was looking for which gave me a few extra bills to play with.

I would, at this point, ideally like to go with the 4690K (even though I don't plan on overclocking, at least not by much), due to the builds overall lower expense, and since I can always upgrade the GPU later. But since I don't plan on Overclocking, would it be better to just go with the 4590 and get a much better Graphics Card?

EDIT:

Or I throw out the HDD altogether (only to purchase it later), and go with a Samsun 840 EVO 250GB, and get the 4690K and R9 280X for $796..

Why no Xeon 1231V3?

Why no Xeon 1231V3?
The 4690K did have a nice combo discount with one of the other parts I had selected, but I'll add another build list with the Xeon to keep an eye on the price.

EDIT: Which has apparently (quickly) expired.

Last edited:

EDIT:

Or I throw out the HDD altogether (only to purchase it later), and go with a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, and get the 4690K and R9 280X for $796..

The Arctic Cooler you chose is a much worse CPU cooler, on one review I saw the Hyper 212 Evo have 27c lower temperatures at full load, that is huge difference in performance.

I personally would stick to the 4590 and in future if you want to upgrade CPU whenever you feel you want to, get a Broadwell based one coming out either end of this year or start of next. Also I think the R9 280 represents much better value for money, GTX 770 becomes better in R9 280X price range as Nvidia cards perform better in pCARS and given the 800 series cards are coming out soon, I think you will miss out quite a bit if you get the 280X. Also the R9 280 is probably the more power efficient card out the two and very competitively priced compared to other GPUs.

The 4690K did have a nice combo discount with one of the other parts I had selected, but I'll add another build list with the Xeon to keep an eye on the price.

You mean that ASUS payback offer? Yeah, forgot that one. 45€ payback if I remember correctly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ybxhvK

I've thrown together some specs as I'm teetering on the edge of building my own PC now. Any feedback would be much appreciated, I don't want to have to do this again for a couple of years!! Nothing earth shattering there but a couple of notes.

-I left out an HDD because I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use for data storage and I don't download much to my primary hard drive. After 3 years I'm only using 100GB on my current HDD.
-The CPU and Video cards I chose from reading on the PCars and AC forums what guys are using at the moment to run the games on fairly high settings.
-The case I chose because I want to fit this into a custom cabinet I already built. The cabinet is 20"H/20"D/14" wide and it's completely open at the rear for ventilation and I open the front door when doing any serious gaming. I have an HP system now with an A10 AMD5800k CPU which is supposed to run hot but I have no issues with heat.
-The sound card I chose because it has a digital audio out. My sound system is about 10 years old but it's a good quality Denon receiver and I'd like to keep it and it only has digital audio inputs for dolby digital sound. I can go HDMI to the tv so I want to be able to switch between sound to the tv and sound to the Surround system gaming and watching movies. 5.1 is all I want or need.
-the power supply was a little large but it was a combo in this case so the price was good
-most of the Ram I chose had a compatibility issue with the CPU, running an extra .1-.15 volts.
-I'd like Windows 7 not Windows 8

I've looked up a couple of local custom builders and I'm going to see what they'll charge me to put it together as I know next to nothing about building a PC. If everything goes perfectly I can snap parts together as good as the next guy, but once something goes wrong I'm toast:boggled:

@Johnnypenso as was pointed out to me earlier in the thread, I would consider the Xeon 1231 v3, especially if the 4690K isn't on sale. The Xeon barely suffers a clock speed drop, has a much lower power draw (to recoupe the negligible amount you spent more for it in power bill savings) and is essentially an i7 but without integrated graphics.

Also, I didn't to much research on all of the brands, but just about everyone points a finger at Samsung as being the market leader in innovation when it comes to SSD's. You should be able to get a 250GB 840 EVO model for roughly the same price and have a better piece in the long run due to their tank like build quality and impressive warranty. Though the Corsair is likely worthy.

Also, that optical drive is pretty expensive, what's the deal?

Lastly, I love Windows 7 as much as the next guy, but I would hold off on your build until Windows 9 is announced and in Beta. It could be better than 7 and a huge improvement over 8 and 8.1. You should focus on a newer OS if you want a functional comp going forward.

@Johnnypenso as was pointed out to me earlier in the thread, I would consider the Xeon 1231 v3, especially if the 4690K isn't on sale. The Xeon barely suffers a clock speed drop, has a much lower power draw (to recoupe the negligible amount you spent more for it in power bill savings) and is essentially an i7 but without integrated graphics.

Also, I didn't to much research on all of the brands, but just about everyone points a finger at Samsung as being the market leader in innovation when it comes to SSD's. You should be able to get a 250GB 840 EVO model for roughly the same price and have a better piece in the long run due to their tank like build quality and impressive warranty. Though the Corsair is likely worthy.

Also, that optical drive is pretty expensive, what's the deal?

Lastly, I love Windows 7 as much as the next guy, but I would hold off on your build until Windows 9 is announced and in Beta. It could be better than 7 and a huge improvement over 8 and 8.1. You should focus on a newer OS if you want a functional comp going forward.
So would the Xeon be better than the i5 I put in the build, or between an i5 and an i7?
Pretty much everyone I talk to agrees about the Samsung SSD's:cheers:
I thought I needed an optical drive to connect to my old Denon receiver but have realized that the motherboard comes with an optical out AFAIK. But I am also thinking of SimVibe so maybe a cheaper sound card (it requires a second card)/

Last edited:
As @Sele1981 said, the Xeon is hyperthreaded and improves multi-tasking capabilities. Some tests have shown that it may slow down in some computing areas related to graphics, but not a significant amount. On top of that, it draws almost half of the power, which saves you in the long run and makes up for the marginal performance losses. The Xeon also excels in some computing tasks at equivalent performance of an over-clocked i5. All I can say is, ask yourself the goals of your build, and research the different parts as much as possible to determine what fits for you. I've researched most all of the significant suggestions people have given me to ensure I'm not using something that's right for them and wrong for me.

As @Sele1981 said, the Xeon is hyperthreaded and improves multi-tasking capabilities. Some tests have shown that it may slow down in some computing areas related to graphics, but not a significant amount. On top of that, it draws almost half of the power, which saves you in the long run and makes up for the marginal performance losses. The Xeon also excels in some computing tasks at equivalent performance of an over-clocked i5. All I can say is, ask yourself the goals of your build, and research the different parts as much as possible to determine what fits for you. I've researched most all of the significant suggestions people have given me to ensure I'm not using something that's right for them and wrong for me.
The problem with computer "research" is you get multiple, seemingly conflicting answers for most questions or at least it seems so to me. Everyone has a sort of alter they worship at. If you go searching "Xeon vs i7 for Gaming" for example, this is a typical discussion board: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273978 and to be honest, most of it is way over my head:dunce: Same as when I ask people in person who supposedly are computer knowledgable and I get different answers on the same question. I went into a local shop the other day and when the dude asked what OS I wanted on the custom build, I answered with Windows 8 and he openly mocked me as if I had just crawled out of a cave and beheld my first computer:boggled: He actually turned to the dude working in the back and yelled, "we've got another one":ouch:, and then proceeded to snickeringly tell me that "everyone" who knows anything about computers knows Windows 8 is buggy as heck and uses Windows 7. All in good fun of course, but if you ask someone else they'll say to go with Windows 8. What's a brother to do? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I likely will never overclock so that isn't an issue for me, and I don't do much but play games, surf, watch movies and listen to music on the PC. I don't run any huge programs for graphics or CAD or anything like that. I might throw together a video or two for Youtube but I was able to do that on my current PC so doing it on a new one shouldn't be an issue. If the Xeon gives me the gaming performance of an i7 or at least equivalent to the i5 for the same price (not overclocked) then it sounds like a deal to me. If it's less than an i5 for the same price, to hang with they hydro saved, I want more power!

The problem with computer "research" is you get multiple, seemingly conflicting answers for most questions or at least it seems so to me. Everyone has a sort of alter they worship at. If you go searching "Xeon vs i7 for Gaming" for example, this is a typical discussion board: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273978 and to be honest, most of it is way over my head:dunce: Same as when I ask people in person who supposedly are computer knowledgable and I get different answers on the same question. I went into a local shop the other day and when the dude asked what OS I wanted on the custom build, I answered with Windows 8 and he openly mocked me as if I had just crawled out of a cave and beheld my first computer:boggled: He actually turned to the dude working in the back and yelled, "we've got another one":ouch:, and then proceeded to snickeringly tell me that "everyone" who knows anything about computers knows Windows 8 is buggy as heck and uses Windows 7. All in good fun of course, but if you ask someone else they'll say to go with Windows 8. What's a brother to do? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I likely will never overclock so that isn't an issue for me, and I don't do much but play games, surf, watch movies and listen to music on the PC. I don't run any huge programs for graphics or CAD or anything like that. I might throw together a video or two for Youtube but I was able to do that on my current PC so doing it on a new one shouldn't be an issue. If the Xeon gives me the gaming performance of an i7 or at least equivalent to the i5 for the same price (not overclocked) then it sounds like a deal to me. If it's less than an i5 for the same price, to hang with they hydro saved, I want more power!
Yeah, I'm not terribly tech savvy myself, but I've been pretty diligent in researching my own computer build to the point that the people who I had been asking for advice started saying to me "You're getting far deeper than we were."

Having Windows 7, I can tell you it's an excellent OS if you haven't used it. My only issue is that I want an OS to continue to be supported for as long as possible so I don't have to go out and drop another $90 for a new OS only a year into a build to get my computer back up to date. My best advice for you would be to wait until the end of this month, when Windows 9 is announced. Check out reviews and feedback on the Beta and feature list and then decide if you want to wait for the full release, or go with Windows 8.1 (8.1 remedying a number of the issues with Windows 8).

Considering what you intend to use this for, you might want to look at a basic locked version of an i5 processor like the 4570 or 4590 (whichever is cheaper). Also ask yourself what kind of resolutions you want to be playing video games at. If your answer is "1080p" you could get away with a $70 Pentium G3420. If you do want 1440p, then stick with the i5 or Xeon.

In your case though, while the power savings are nice, you won't be using the Xeon's strengths, and would likely do well to get a locked i5. Always be mindful of the sales and your total budget, of course.

I'm curious to know if anyone has bought a new 970 series card and tried it with Project Cars. Anyone?

I'm curious to know if anyone has bought a new 970 series card and tried it with Project Cars. Anyone?
Theres one thread on WMD about the 970, seems to work fine, performs in line with expectation based on benchmarks (although SLi isn't doubling performance, only about 60% faster adding the second card)
Anything you need to know about it in particular?

Theres one thread on WMD about the 970, seems to work fine, performs in line with expectation based on benchmarks (although SLi isn't doubling performance, only about 60% faster adding the second card)
Anything you need to know about it in particular?
Thanks. No, nothing in particular, I've yet to build and just wanted to be sure it lived up to the hype, being new and all.

Update: my transition is going quite well! After only upgrading to 3 benq GE2760HS (only 600 for all 3) and testing some games before venturing into upgrading the box I learned a few key things...

I don't really need to upgrade my box right now... It's a 4 year old i5 2.7ghz with 4 gig of ram... I'm running AC, iRacing, Raceroom, Rfactor2, Euro truck sim 2, and several other newer non sim games at between 70-90fps... The Titan with its 6gigs is seriously making up the 4 year old PC... Sometimes I forget to close my browser with 20 pages open and it's barely noticeable. And I have all three screens rendering seporatly, not stretched (when possible)

I wanted to bring this up simply to highlight that my PC is likely older than most and I'm shocked at how well it's keeping up with only a GPU upgrade... Sure my office temp goes up by 10 degrees but oh well.

Gaming has been great, Euro truck has taken way more time than I ever imagined, best 8 bucks I ever spent... But PC gaming is s bit loanly if that makes sense... Communities are very divided and saturated, but the gaming experience is very rich and detailed. Crashing when pushing the limits never felt so good.

My iRacing scores have taken off but you hit a "pay wall" quick so I pulled back in anticipation of pcars.

I'll still upgrade, I can see where an SDD, quicker ram, and not tapping my entire CPU clock will benefit but it's nice being pleased with what I have... Black Fridays are just around the corner...

Side note, researching PC hardware online is impossible. It's like trying to find real news from the major media outlets. Find someone qualified and get their upgrade list and why... For instance cpu cools are not at all necessary these days unless your a major over clocker, Intel resolved their heat issues about a year ago. But that's from my guys recommendation... Cool is always better but budgets for most are limited.

I to solve the heat get a large 6" or 12" fan and postion if possible infront of the air inlet and then put one facing away from the computer next to the fan that blows it out. For about £15 pound I lowered the internal temperture by 10 degrees as the air flow was much higher. However if you don't like noisy setups don't do it.

Here is my PC Spec that I currently have ,

Intel Core i7 3770K @3.50ghz
8gb dual layer memory
Nivida GeForce GT 640 , Core 324Mhz , Memory 324 mhz , Size 2048 mb
750 Watt PSU

Question : do I need to upgrade the Graphics Card to run everything at Max to get all the eye candy
. I use a Resoloution of 1920 x 1080p on my TV Screen if that helps

As it is, you should be able to run the game at medium-high settings, at that resolution, if you want all bells and whistles, I would recommend an nVidia 780. If you don't mind brands, you could look at the AMD R9-290 to save some pennies. I'm currently running a 7950 with a 3750k, getting 60fps (40 with behind a full grid of cars) with high settings at 1080p. You will get higher because of the faster processor with a similar card.

As it is, you should be able to run the game at medium-high settings, at that resolution, if you want all bells and whistles, I would recommend an nVidia 780. If you don't mind brands, you could look at the AMD R9-290 to save some pennies. I'm currently running a 7950 with a 3750k, getting 60fps (40 with behind a full grid of cars) with high settings at 1080p. You will get higher because of the faster processor with a similar card.

Thanks , exactly the answer I was looking for .

I'm planning on building/buying a gaming PC next year, but there is no way I'm giving money to M$ or using Windows so it is going to have to be a Linux based box using Steam to run Project Cars on. Anyone know of any sources out there doing such as thing?

Just a standard Linux build then. Steam OS isn't out yet, so we don't know what the exact support is for hardware yet.

I am ps3/ps4 owner with a g27 and playseat. I am super pissed about it not working with PS4 and looking to get into PC racing mainly for Project Cars. Does anyone know of a good PC already built I can buy that will run the game with the best settings? I am debating building one but have never done it so to be safe and save time I would like to maybe just buy one already built.

What kind of budget do you have? I would be looking at a minimum of $900 excluding the monitor (another $200, unless you want to use your TV) and an OS ($100).

After thinking about I figure it would be best to build a system. I am looking to spend to start $600 to $800 and use my 52 inch led tv. I would like to upgrade in the future to a 3 monitor system when I save up some money. I was thinking of building a system where I could add a 2nd GPU last for the 3 monitors. Does anybody have anymore recommendations?

Nearly every modern graphics card will allow you to do it. This is best off taken into the bowels of the off-topic section, under technology.

Back