Crash Bandicoot Discussion - (It's About Time 10/2 Release)

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 383 comments
Good news: I think my local Morrison's supermarket has Crash Bandicoot in stock, and I've read online that they are selling it for £28. Bad news: unfortunately my plans for an early escape from work have been thwarted as I appear to have developed a nasty case of the squits in the last hour or so, meaning that I am now effectively trapped at work until further notice :(

edit: I decided to run the gauntlet home and I got Crash for £28 in the supermarket! Now all I need to do is get home before disaster strikes! :nervous:

Last edited:
Whatculture decided to cover the 10 hardest levels in the remaster. It is a very funny video but the language does violate forum rules.

Slightly agreed with them on Hog Wild.

As the recent stream of mine would show, I overwhelmingly agree with them on The High Road. Good lord, that was a flick in the nuts.

It's kinda weird, because in the original game, Slippery Climb and Sunset Vista were the bane of my existence. Sunset Vista's gem is overwhelmingly easier to get because the no death thing doesn't apply, and for some reason, I was super close to doing a no-death run of it, only choking towards the very end. Slippery Climb had its "OH COME ON." moments, but I didn't spend nearly as much time raging as The High Road. Seriously, I spent probably around 30 lives trying to get past the first section of that level.

Kinda groaning at the prospect of doing the relics on these levels, and I haven't even gotten to Crash 2 or Warped yet.

Last edited:
I still get game overs on Road to Nowhere, but the rope trick is helping.

And I got it to play on my Vita so I can watch my shows while Crashin' :)

Out of curiosity I turned on the original Crash (PS1 classic on PS3) and played the High Road. I beat it in 3 attempts, not bad considering I haven't played the game in years. Then I played the remake of the same level and couldn't for the life of me complete it.

The remake is harder, that I knew, but it's that much harder. The original game felt like it was more precise, that I could predict exactly how Crash jumped, landed and moved whereas the remake is fluid and requires careful maneuvering. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Just need to get used to the new physics. And the hit box is different between Crash and Coco.

I only really started playing this properly this weekend and it has left me with mixed feelings - part of me loves the difficulty/challenge, and part of me wants to throw my brand new PS4 out of my second storey window, pick it up and throw it out of the window a second time. The latter sensation is a strange exercise in learning how to control one's frustration/rage and leaves one in a weird state of self-doubt, recrimination and soul-searching: 'how can I be so bad at this game after all these years?'. Fortunately it would seem I am not alone, and I found this article very reassuring:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...4-n-sane-trilogys-jumping-physics-difficulty/

Of course, the best part of this new game is being able to switch from game to game when the going gets too tough on any particular level, which despite not having progressed far has already happened to me a couple of times. What is quite cool though is when you come back to a level after a while only to find you ace it and move on, leaving you wondering what all the fuss was about. But no doubt I will have my patience tested to the limit on the harder levels.

A key difference between this remake and the original is not in the game itself but in the fact that a solution (or at least a modicum of hope) can be easily found on Youtube or via Google... that wasn't the case back in the day, and it is certainly coming in handy being able to see how it is done, even if that doesn't make it any easier to actually do!!

Hard, nothing else to say...

Anyway, finally passed Road to Nowhere and hit another roadblock on Sunset Vista with the fast moving walls.

I started with 99 Lifes in Stormy Ascent...

...after 2 straight hours, I managed to complete it with 7 lifes left.

Finally I could relax my fingers from tapping and holding X too much.

I'm at 18/27 gold (or better) relics on Crash 2. Doing them in order, which means I'm stuck at Ruination. Those damned moving pillar platforms are almost impossible to judge with the game's camera.

Hard, nothing else to say...

Anyway, finally passed Road to Nowhere and hit another roadblock on Sunset Vista with the fast moving walls.
I was lucky insomuch as I saw the 'rope trick' before trying Road To Nowhere and got through it relatively painlessly. Silly question, but is it even possible without running along the ropes??

I came back to Sunset Vista last night and eventually nailed it - but not before many frustrating moments. My favourite (and I use the word highly ironically) was when I finally got to the top of the wall with all those spinning platforms, only to die stupidly before triggering the checkpoint at the top :ouch:

I started with 99 Lifes in Stormy Ascent...

...after 2 straight hours, I managed to complete it with 7 lifes left.

Finally I could relax my fingers from tapping and holding X too much.
Good lord :nervous:

I was lucky insomuch as I saw the 'rope trick' before trying Road To Nowhere and got through it relatively painlessly. Silly question, but is it even possible without running along the ropes??

Yeah both Road To Nowhere and The High Road are definately possible without the ropes. :) But the turtle parts are really hard, you really need perfect jumps. For time trial however you definately need the ropes for platinum time.

As for Stormy Ascent, it's very nice they let us download it for free. But then again it was already in the game anyway I assume since we didn't get any update. But knowing Activision though, they would usually still let us pay for these kind of things. :P So that's a nice change at least.

For the level itself, it's really great. Definately harder than Slippery Climb (which I thought was actually quite easy in N. Sane Trilogy) but I think The High Road is still much harder if you don't use the ropes. I actually played it like a month ago in the original Crash 1 so I sort of knew my way around the level already. Managed to do it with only 3 deaths on my first playtrough for the gem. Time trial was a different story though.. Think it took me 3 hours to finally set a time after many deaths. Problem is that you just want to be too fast to get a good time but the level won't really allow for that. :P It does help that my time was platinum right away though. :)

And what do you all think of the Brio bonus round in this one? That must've taken me at least 30 mins to finish with all crates. It's a really crazy one. In the original game it didn't have a bonus round if I recall, so I think Vicarious Visions made this one themselves. Quite a nice match for a level like this. :P

As for Stormy Ascent, it's very nice they let us download it for free. But then again it was already in the game anyway I assume since we didn't get any update. But knowing Activision though, they would usually still let us pay for these kind of things. :P So that's a nice change at least.

For the level itself, it's really great. Definately harder than Slippery Climb (which I thought was actually quite easy in N. Sane Trilogy) but I think The High Road is still much harder if you don't use the ropes. I actually played it like a month ago in the original Crash 1 so I sort of knew my way around the level already. Managed to do it with only 3 deaths on my first playtrough for the gem. Time trial was a different story though.. Think it took me 3 hours to finally set a time after many deaths. Problem is that you just want to be too fast to get a good time but the level won't really allow for that. :P It does help that my time was platinum right away though. :)

And what do you all think of the Brio bonus round in this one? That must've taken me at least 30 mins to finish with all crates. It's a really crazy one. In the original game it didn't have a bonus round if I recall, so I think Vicarious Visions made this one themselves. Quite a nice match for a level like this. :P
Brio Bonus is the reason why i spent 2+ hours for this level, i had to look it up at the end and realized that what i was doing is right except for one small thing which's the reason why i failed so much.

I won't touch the Time Trail tho until much later as i already struggle with getting the Relics in other levels.

I think the rope trick has lured me into a false sense of security - I passed High Road after figuring out that you can jump on the bollards between ropes and drop down onto the next rope pretty easily... for some reason (may be because the ropes are longer) I was falling off the rope a lot more than in Road To Nowhere, so in order to pass the level, I proceeded very carefully using the D-pad and re-adjusting accordingly... I must admit, however, that it feels a bit like cheating to me, and I will be going back to both levels to try them 'the hard way'; but for now I'm just glad that they are not holding me up... now I'm on Slippery Climb and there's no easy way through that; I'm going to go back a bit and accumulate a decent number of lives in order to try this, since I haven't got very far with it having to restart with 5 lives each time.

Here are some more platinum time trial videos from me of some levels I thought were pretty hard for time trial. Native Fortress, Jaws Of Darkness and Slippery Climb. Only Crash 1 levels for now since I think the Crash 2 and 3 levels weren't really that hard for platinum time trial runs. I spent much more time getting them in Crash 1.

And also my complete first playthrough of Stormy Ascent, including the bonus round struggle (though speed up a little bit with all of my fails :P). And after trying for 3 hours or so, the platinum time trial video as well. As I said before, the level isn't really all that hard I think. It's pretty much all about timing and thinking before you make the jumps. :) For me, the bonus round was much harder than the level itself. Though I tried the level + bonus round again after the time trial and did it much quicker, though also still with a few deaths.

Lastly, here are also my final progress screens. I think I'm done with the game now. :)

ySNqwHV.jpg

LUZZfkO.jpg

JmSSJaC.jpg

Really hoping they'll announce a new Crash game some time this year and continue the story. Will be nice to see how Vicarious Visions will handle it. For now though, I'm sure I'll be replaying the N. Sane Trilogy quite a few times just as I did with the original games. Doesn't matter how often you replay them, it just stays fun every time. :)

Happy to say I got all the gems and the 2 keys in Crash 1.

The High Road was indeed tough but Slippery Climb was a pain in the ass to get the red gem. Fumbling in the Dark was annoying for the reason of losing many lives trying to get the boxes in the backrooms at the start.

Stormy Ascent lived up to it's nightmarish reputation, lost about 40-50 lives to finish it.

Now to move on to Crash 2!

Back