Crash Bandicoot Discussion - (It's About Time 10/2 Release)

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 383 comments
So, apparently there were enough changes to the PS4 Crash games compared to the originals that made it more difficult. I noticed, myself, in some cases that the jumping seemed off and sometimes gaps were more difficult to clear or landing after a jump felt slippery and I'm not alone it seems. The High Road bridge level was frustratingly difficult!

I played these games for hours on end as a kid. I felt that I mastered them and thought I was just getting worse at games trying to replay them in the N'Sane Trilogy. I don't know if they'll fix this "issue" or leave it as is. Just need to get used to it and play it as a new game rather than better looking copies of the originals.

Link to Polygon article:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/5/15922340/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-hard-difficulty-jumping

Some players are finding the remastered Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy much tougher than the original games, and there may be a clear reason for that. Streamers have picked up on how jumping in the PlayStation 4 collection has changed significantly from the original PlayStation games, with a difference in how collisions work as the main culprit.

Complaints that the collection, which includes the first three Crash Bandicoot platformers, ramped up the difficulty came not longer after its release. Much of that criticism was pointed at Crash’s much more slippery, precise jumping abilities, compounded by the game design’s often “unforgiving” nature.

“The reason jumps feel harder in the N. Sane Trilogy isn’t really due to falling a bit faster,” tweeted Ding Dong, who’s been streaming the full collection following its launched last week. Instead, he says the reason is “because collisions can be wonky upon landing.”

After >60 tries I finally completed "The high road" legit.
For those who dont know you can jump on the rope and just walk past everything.

Which game is that level on?

Jerome

This game is hard, but satisfying. If only they'd included Crash Team Racing with online racing and battles, that is the only thing I wish was different.

Followup remaster if this is successful enough?

Jerome

I finished the game yesterday, 3 platinum trophies. :D I really enjoyed it but it was also a real challenge with Crash 1 and 2 having those time trials. I definately hope Vicarious Visions will make a new Crash game after this, can't wait to see where they take the storyline and what they'll do with the levels and gameplay, kind of hoping more open world like Twinsanity was.

Anyway about this one. As I said before, Crash 1 is definately harder than the original for most levels because of the new jump mechanics and platform/enemy hitboxes. Crash 2 actually turned out to be harder as well for pretty much the same reasons as Crash 1, I really struggled to get to 99 lifes while I remember this being easy in the original. Graphically 2 was also better than 1. The Polar levels were actually made easier though. Then on to Crash 3, they really made this one a lot easier in my opinion but it's by far the most beatiful one graphically. The boss fights were also really nice with some new things added. The flight levels are so much better now though, I remember hating them in the original but not anymore now.

Looking at the time trials you can definately tell that Crash 3 was made for this, Crash 1 and 2 were not and it really shows. Time trials in those 2 games are really hard compared to Crash 3 because of the much more precise jumps and smaller platforms. But it's a good challenge. I just wish the leaderbords were a bit better showing your actual position and maybe even a video for the top time. I'd really like to know how people can get such crazy fast times.

Here are my progress screens at the end of each game. Pretty happy with the amount of platinum relics I got. I only replayed the levels where I was really close to platinum, I left the rest at gold.

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170701171221_zpsilojzw6b.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170702175659_zps1htoax1c.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170705174647_zpshec4x3ts.jpg

Since many people seem to be struggling with Native Fortress in Crash 1 I did a perfect playthrough of it (one life, all boxes) to hopefully help some of you. :P Also shows the easy route that you can take at some point. For the metal jump boxes just keep holding X and it should be a lot easier to make them.

And 2 of my best time trial runs of Crash 1. One's Generator Room, I think the hardest to get platinum time wise. The other is just the hardest level overall, The High Road. Got a very good time there after a lot of retries, still 5,5 seconds off the #1 time though. :P

And some really nice screenshots, first one of Crash 2, others of Crash 3. There's just so much detail in all of the levels, it's really N. Sane. ;)

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170701195927_zps16oij2fg.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170702201044_zps8pv9rpz8.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170702210128_zpszulyxsl4.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170702224947_zps1e6xzwvi.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170703231113_zpsnzzafl3k.jpg

Crash%20Bandicoot%20N_%20Sane%20Trilogy_20170704225422_zpso9rcnuox.jpg

Even though I'm pretty much done with the game now, I'll still keep trying to get some more platinum relics and I'm sure I'll keep coming back to it every now and then for a full replay from the start. These 3 games have always been awesome and now with the remaster they got even better, definately worth the money if you ask me. :)

I can't even fathom how you got the perfect gem (one life, all boxes) on Slippery Climb in Crash 1. Or a gold or better relic on the High Road. Well done!

Slippery Climb is easy after you finish The High Road though. ;) But I did have to restart quite often to get the red gem. I think it's a bit easier than in the original though. And if you think the red gem is bad, try time trial. :P I'm going to try to platinum that too but not sure how long it'll take.

Finished Crash 1 last night and absolutely breezing by 2 so far!

I want to try and go for the gems and relics but the loading times make it a bit of a drag. :(

Last edited:
Finished Crash 1 last night and absolutely breezing my 2 so far!

I want to try and go for the gems and relics but the loading times make it a bit of a drag. :(

I found gems actually very easy to get in CB2. It's pretty straight forward — my sister and I cleared 20/25 levels in just the one night!

The relics are a pain due to the loading time. I find it easier to Google the gold time before starting, and just aim for that: if you don't think you'll make it, pause and restart. It's silly that you get booted back to warp rooms after winning a new relic tier with no option to retry.

Also, don't hunt for any until you beat Cortex. I had no idea there was a "Crash Dash" feature (hold R2) in CB2, so I was failing miserably on the very first level, and couldn't figure out why.

Slippery Climb without dying for the gem. Yeah. Not happening.

How did I ever do this 20 years ago?

I only ever played the demo of the first game back in the PS1 days. CB2 was my jam, though. I get a definite LittleBigPlanet vibe from them now that I'm revisiting: LBP1 was substantially harder than LBP2 ever was.

I managed that gem after what must've been 60+ lives sunk into it.

I have a feeling whenever I buy this game, I will probably do what I did in the originals and just focus on the crystals and not worry too much about the gems. I never did collect all the gems in Crash Bandicoot 2 without cheats.

I found gems actually very easy to get in CB2. It's pretty straight forward — my sister and I cleared 20/25 levels in just the one night!

The relics are a pain due to the loading time. I find it easier to Google the gold time before starting, and just aim for that: if you don't think you'll make it, pause and restart. It's silly that you get booted back to warp rooms after winning a new relic tier with no option to retry.

Also, don't hunt for any until you beat Cortex. I had no idea there was a "Crash Dash" feature (hold R2) in CB2, so I was failing miserably on the very first level, and couldn't figure out why.

I only ever played the demo of the first game back in the PS1 days. CB2 was my jam, though. I get a definite LittleBigPlanet vibe from them now that I'm revisiting: LBP1 was substantially harder than LBP2 ever was.

I managed that gem after what must've been 60+ lives sunk into it.
LBP1 was so damn difficult! Going after those prize bubbles on The Bunker... [shudders]

I was planning to buy Crash in store so I could play it yesterday, but it is still nowhere to be found - I can't really understand this - HMV (not the best, but at least they have PS4 games) didn't even have it listed in their Top 20; GAME appeared to have it, but it was just dummy boxes that said 'Available to order'; and it is out of stock at every Tesco, Argos and everywhere else I could think of. Meanwhile, I turned down the offer to borrow my nephew's hard copy of the game, because I don't want him to be without it if I'm unable to get it back to him next weekend. My sister bought it in Smyths for £25 (with a £2.50 off voucher, she actually got it for £22.50!), but now they have put it up to £35 - and it's out of stock... (though they helpfully tell me that it is expected to be back in stock in 2017). So it looks like I'll be buying it via PSN after all...

I was planning to buy Crash in store so I could play it yesterday, but it is still nowhere to be found - I can't really understand this - HMV (not the best, but at least they have PS4 games) didn't even have it listed in their Top 20; GAME appeared to have it, but it was just dummy boxes that said 'Available to order'; and it is out of stock at every Tesco, Argos and everywhere else I could think of. Meanwhile, I turned down the offer to borrow my nephew's hard copy of the game, because I don't want him to be without it if I'm unable to get it back to him next weekend. My sister bought it in Smyths for £25 (with a £2.50 off voucher, she actually got it for £22.50!), but now they have put it up to £35 - and it's out of stock... (though they helpfully tell me that it is expected to be back in stock in 2017). So it looks like I'll be buying it via PSN after all...
The game is selling massively in the UK. It is obliterating everything before it this year (single platform wise). I regret cancelling my hard-copy and going digital but having it there all the time is handy I guess.

There's something about the visuals in this game that look....off to me. I can't quite put my finger on it but it has that Skylanders feel to it that miffs me a bit.
Considering I recently bought a Crash Bandicoot expansion for Skylanders, I'd say the similarity is not coincidental.

I like Skylanders for what it is (despite being a monumental rip off) - a crossover between a game and a collectible toy... but I hope they leave Crash Bandicoot alone and/or don't go down this route for the Crash series - there's nothing to suggest they will, but being able to play through a whole game without some form of external add-on (DLC, toys etc.) is a big plus in my book.

You are in Glasgow, right? Try G-force on Union St if you want a physical copy. http://www.gforcegames.co.uk/index....t&filter_name=crash bandicoot&product_id=1067

Says on the site they have it on stock for £39.99, I got it on the PS Store for £34.99. Just quickly checked on Amazon and it's £48.99.

Haven't tried that. Probably patched it along with the other exploits. I remembered a trick in Crash 2 where you can slide-spin jump over the mole pits. I tried doing it in the new game, but looks like you can't do it anymore.

Both the rope-walk and mole pit bypass are still in there, though the latter is very hard to pull off without the Crash Dash.

Latest Posts

Back