"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. The FF cars drive worse than any other car in the game, in my opinion.
Depends what you like. I am as consistent and fast in a TT as any car when it’s suited to the track like at DTS this week. Was able to run a Viper down after he no-stopped and I pitted for the hards, with five consistent laps after being down 4 sec coming out of the pits. By being consistent and chewing up tenth after tenth while he was less so. In fact I’m more consistent in a TT than just about anything.

As much as I love DTS, one of my most raced tracks the death chicane is such a deal breaker. Sometimes it just comes down to luck, imo. You can be the fastest driver in the room and lose or vice versa. The rest of the track I'd agree it's a lot of fun in the right room.
I did at least 8 races here before it caught me, however I was able to make it back and win

I think your points are valid, actually. But there are problems that counters your points.

1. Two thirds of daily races are with no tire wear. Those are always dominated by FF. And while they can act as an entry way for beginners because they are easy to drive they often wreck others races because they drift wide on exit and by doing so forces other drivers off.

2. When tire multiplyers are so high that the FF's can't dominate, the new drivers often gets so frustrated that they start to drive reckless or dirty.

1. Totally agree that the FF will dominate A and B races like Interlagos last week and always at the Red Bull Ring.
2. I mostly accept that. There are dirty drivers everywhere. It feels more pronounced among new drivers as the are as they/we are, sometimes, simply bad drivers in addition to those who are dirty. From your perspective, when you get punted, it feels dirty either way. The other day I got tapped and I returned the tap *twice*. It was not intentional but, as I was following, it was my responsibility to be clean. Even though there were no "offs" or lost positions his post-race language was rather colorful :eek: .

True, Gr. 4 is the only race class with FWD cars (scratch that, damn Gr. 1 GT-R LM Nismo), but I do dabble in other classes. I love Gr. 3 more than Gr. 4, but I do enjoy the challenge of Gr. 2. Gr. 1....forget it. I haven't been able to figure that out. :lol:

PS. Tip: use traction control when you start using Gr. 3 cars. When you become more comfortable with them, you can reduce TC. I suggest no more than TC2. Anything else will kill power on corner exit. TC2 will reduce power, but is the best balanced level of traction control.

Thanks on Gr 3 and TCS. I will ask more later.

They weren't slating anyone for driving FF cars, just expressing their personal preference.
Fair point, you are correct.

Last edited:
I am not giving up my TT or RCZ any time soon. So, fling your arrows.
Like I said, I'm fine with other people driving FF and 4WD, I just can't stand driving them myself :)

PS. In the not-so-distant future I am going to ask for help as I am so bad at Gr 3 cars. You can point back to this post as a root cause if you must.
Some tips off the top:

FR is easier to drive than MR

The weight balance of FR cars is more similar to that of FFs, and they corner more predictably (usually worse than MR, but predictably). With MR cars they corner very well by comparison, but that makes it very easy to over rotate them and suffer from power oversteer on exit.

They (MR) are also way more sensitive to hitting kerbs than FR cars are. With FR you might gain some rotation, or upset the balance a bit forcing you to wait to put the power down, but generally you can go over kerbs without worry in FR cars. With MR cars you'll spin out or lose so much balance that you'll probably go off on the exit because you're waiting so long to turn or put the power down.

So, MR is sketchier to drive than FR as a general rule.

Naturally aspirated is easier to drive than turbo

With NA engines power starts coming on when you push the throttle down and it builds up gradually over a curve. Some cars have a lot of low end torque that means you have to be a bit more careful powering out of slow corners or you'll spin out from power oversteer, but being smoother on the throttle fixes that.

With turbo engines you have generally less low end torque than NA and then all of a sudden you have a whole lot of torque because turbooooo, which means it's way less predictable and it can catch you out if you're powering out of a slow corner. You get on the power and you can push the pedal down a bit quicker than with FR, but then you get a gob of torque all at once and by that point the throttle is further down than it would've been in a NA car so it's harder to modulate and if you have a bit too much steering input still or you're tracking out over an exit kerb you are more likely to spin out because your car becomes unbalanced.

I recommend the following cars:

Mercedes-AMG GT3
Corvette C7
Jaguar F-Type
Dodge Viper
Hyundai Genesis
Lexus RC-F

They're smooth and not twitchy at all.

I had an extremely crappy day yesterday, was pushing too hard at Bathurst and ended up spinning in both because I just couldn't keep up. Then tried to go to DTS for some fun racing and was dead last on pace because it was my first time doing that race, and I was a bit careless in a few corners so got a few SR Downs and penalties. I stopped focusing after that and got disqualified for doing donuts while getting lapped.
Question for everyone here: How do you not get demotivated while racing for minor positions? How do you know the limit of how much to push? I think I will hover around 20K DR for now, don't see myself getting too much faster in the near future unless it's a Monday.
Measure yourself against you from a month ago, or three months ago, or three years ago. Are you faster? More consistent? Better able to race side by side without contact? Then you're improving. The grade letter next to your name is meaningless.

PS. In the not-so-distant future I am going to ask for help as I am so bad at Gr 3 cars. You can point back to this post as a root cause if you must.

Like you I am prity bad with FR and MR cars, much prefer FF, but have been giving them a go.
When I use FR and MR I always use TCS 2 or I just spin all over the place and I find I loose massive amounts of time going round corners but I am getting better slowly all the time.
Find a FR/MR GR3 car you like and find relatively stable for you and stick with that one for a while it's easyer to give the suggested cars a go than go through them all.
I have found the porsche and mclaren are best for me but still spin from time to time. Frustrating but fun.

Like I said, I'm fine with other people driving FF and 4WD, I just can't stand driving them myself :)

Some tips off the top:

The weight balance of FR cars is more similar to that of FFs, and they corner more predictably (usually worse than MR, but predictably). With MR cars they corner very well by comparison, but that makes it very easy to over rotate them and suffer from power oversteer on exit.

They (MR) are also way more sensitive to hitting kerbs than FR cars are. With FR you might gain some rotation, or upset the balance a bit forcing you to wait to put the power down, but generally you can go over kerbs without worry in FR cars. With MR cars you'll spin out or lose so much balance that you'll probably go off on the exit because you're waiting so long to turn or put the power down.

With NA engines power starts coming on when you push the throttle down and it builds up gradually over a curve. Some cars have a lot of low end torque that means you have to be a bit more careful powering out of slow corners or you'll spin out from power oversteer, but being smoother on the throttle fixes that.

With turbo engines you have generally less low end torque than NA and then all of a sudden you have a whole lot of torque because turbooooo, which means it's way less predictable and it can catch you out if you're powering out of a slow corner. You get on the power and you can push the pedal down a bit quicker than with FR, but then you get a gob of torque all at once and by that point the throttle is further down than it would've been in a NA car so it's harder to modulate and if you have a bit too much steering input still or you're tracking out over an exit kerb you are more likely to spin out because your car becomes unbalanced.

Mercedes-AMG GT3
Corvette C7
Jaguar F-Type
Dodge Viper
Hyundai Genesis
Lexus RC-F

C7 gang represent!

Last edited:
Race A all week... B/B to D/E again as expected, but had fun. Got knocked around by the best they could send me, recovered quick, and still beat them. A few races went totally poo-poo so I did some chicane practice at the alternate (for more advanced drivers) chicane to the left, found a few grip-hack power-ups PD hid on the track, and fed the cornfield a few :censored:s.

Just had a nice little battle with these guys in Race C. Double overtake around the outside of T1, then he sent it up the inside a couple turns later when I didn’t close the door enough and I got a nice cutback to keep it. Went on to take P2 in this one, got fastest lap but couldn’t catch the leader. No-stop seems to be the only way to go.

Yeah, I've switched between no stop and running RH first or RM first. Can change how I want my outcome.
Cayman can go long on RH or gain time at the first half or second half of the race in RM.
Not that it gets boring staying in the RH, just want the added strategy of options. Been a good week at DTS. Anyone can and have won.

Have been alternating between no stop and the RH-RM combo for Race C, using the Huracan.

RM tyres can take 6 laps with good performance
RH start to wane after 8

Pit stop adds about 10s I think. With 6 clean fast laps on RM it pretty much cancels out

Great track and the CoD chaos makes it exciting

going to try pitting on first lap for kicks - anyone tried that?

Last edited:
Have been alternating between no stop and the RH-RM combo for Race C, using the Huracan.

RM tyres can take 6 laps with good performance
RH start to wane after 8

Pit stop adds about 10s I think. With 6 clean fast laps on RM it pretty much cancels out

Great track and the CoD chaos makes it exciting

going to try pitting on first lap for kicks - anyone tried that?
I haven't, but a few have pitted after two laps. An F-Type remains with no qualy and starts in RH. Pits at Lap 2 for RM and comes up. It gets in strife at times because some may not understand the pace that player has due to the RM.
I've let that player pass, but it becomes undone, because some keep fighting for the position instead of understanding the strategy.

Last edited:
The risk with no-stop is getting punted on the first lap - particularly if you are on pole. Tough to generate separation from people on mediums for the first lap or two and nothing good comes from getting swallowed up by the pack. The 2 stop with a switch to hards for Lap 10 worked for me earlier in the week. May try it again later today after FIA.

Was hoping to get some more racing in over the weekend, as Race A has been fantastic fun. We will see. It’s been great getting to race among fellow GTP members pretty regularly. Good times.

Agree with the positive comments about Race A. Had an enjoyable race this morning. I finished up 2 spots. + clean race bonus. A fun ride the whole way. Great grid.

For me it feels like it's back to where it once was before the SR system went off the rails a few weeks ago. Americas region, Race A at least.

<...snip..>
PS. Tip: use traction control when you start using Gr. 3 cars. <...snip...>

C7 gang represent!

<...Snip...>

Some tips off the top:

<...snip..>

<...snip..>

Mercedes-AMG GT3
Corvette C7
Jaguar F-Type
Dodge Viper
Hyundai Genesis
Lexus RC-F

Guys, thanks for the the thoughtful explanations, especially the MR/FR differences and the turbo lag. When driving the turbo cars I still don't understand or *feel* the turbo difference. I am now able to feel the big difference between FF and FR.

During my learning cycle I spent a week (1300 kms) at Spa with the Gr 3 MR Audi R8 LMS. The level of frustration was unbearable. I'd be driving in a straight line and I just had to look at a curb... spin. The Audi was recommended by a youtuber, a good youtuber, that it was the hands-down best choice for the week. It probably was if you were a good driver but I still didn't even know how to spell MR.

After that, I switched to the Beetle and had decent success at Fuji. Then I switched to the Genesis for faster laps and managed to dial back the TCS zero. While the Genesis drives like a tank it is forgiving and stable and as Kungtotte stated it handles the curbs well. More progression came but it stopped. I tried the Porsche and it is fast if I have a single off it feels like I need to beg forgiveness for half a lap before it will stabilize. I have tried the Jag and the Vantage and they feel similar to the Genesis.

With Gr.2 and Gr.1 and Super Formula I am doing better compared to Gr.3 and my expectation is otherwise. I am using objective measures like QT differentials and DR gains and losses. It suggests there are some Gr. 3 gains to be made and I am missing them.

Here are my questions:
  1. I sometimes compensate for TCS=0 by using 2nd gear instead of 1st for fear of wheel spin. For example, at Mount Panorama I use 2nd on the exits from "The Cutting", "The Dipper", and "Forrest's Elbow".
  2. Is the Genesis effectively a "crutch"? Do I need to migrate to a MR or twitchier car to get to the next level?

I am not ready to post a lap. Not comfortable with social media yet and need to create a Little Guppy youtube/gmail identity.

Last edited:
Guys, thanks for the the thoughtful explanations, especially the MR/FR differences and the turbo lag. When driving the turbo cars I still don't understand or *feel* the turbo difference. I *do* feel the difference between FF and FR.

During my learning cycle I spent a week (1300 kms) at Spa with the Gr 3 MR Audi R8 LMS. The level of frustration was unbearable. I'd be driving in a straight line and I just had to look at a curb... spin. I picked the Audi as it was stated by a youtuber, a good youtuber, that it was the hands-down best choice for the week. It probably was if you were a top driver but I still didn't even know how to spell MR.

I switched to the Beetle and had decent success at Fuji. Then I switched to the Genesis for faster laps and managed to dial back the TCS zero. More success came. While the Genesis drives like a tank it is forgiving and stable and as Kungtotte stated it handles the curbs well. While the Porsche is fast if I have a single off it feels like I need to beg forgiveness for half a lap before it will stabilize. I have tried the Jag and the Vantage and they feel similar to the Genesis.

With Gr.2 and Gr.1 and Super Formula I am doing better compared to Gr.3 and my expectation is otherwise. I am using objective measures like QT differentials and DR gains and losses. It suggests there are some Gr. 3 gains to be made and I am missing them.

Here are my questions:
1) I sometimes compensate for TCS=0 by using 2nd gear instead of 1st for fear of wheel spin. For example, at Mount Panorama I use 2nd on the exits from "The Cutting", "The Dipper", and "Forrest's Elbow".
2) Is the Genesis effectively a "crutch"? Do I need to migrate to a MR or twitchier car to get to the next level?

I am not ready to post a lap. Not comfortable with social media yet and need to create a Little Guppy youtube/gmail identity.
Without seeing a lap it’s hard to diagnose your issues BUT...

If you’re having trouble with Gr3 but not the high downforce cars then I suspect the culprit may be your timing and balance when getting on the throttle. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of concentrating on having the front wheels straight before you slam the loud pedal. FFs will let you get away with not doing this because they understeer, FRs will get twitchy in Gr4 and spin in Gr3, MRs almost never let you off the hook. Of course, this means you need to get your braking and lines through corners correct or you’ll be waiting forever to put the foot down, but this is where the serious time gains are anyway.

When you are ready to post a lap, don't forget to set the replay to display all info. It will help others see you brake/accelerate points & steering input. Just as a primer, here are 2 videos I have on my YT. The first video was just me being proud of my QT, only to use a different car to trim it down a little more. The second was when I first asked for help in getting faster & several guys pitched in with advice. Also, both vids were from before the time I got my wheel.

A couple of things to note. First, in all 3 cars, I was still using traction control. Even after a win earlier that week, I still felt like I was just getting lucky in races. I hadn't quite learned to listen to what each car was telling me. How they liked to transfer weight, how they liked to accelerate, how easily they negotiate the "S" curves. With practice & some pointers, I feel like I can hold my own against other drivers in my DR range.

Last edited:
End of the week, but the Gr.4 GT-R is a weapon. Other than the Genesis, Cayman, and M4, the GT-R held together mighty well.

Had a go in the R32. Fun race. Wish we could get a Group A thing happening: R32, E30 M3, A70 Supra

End of the week, but the Gr.4 GT-R is a weapon. Other than the Genesis, Cayman, and M4, the GT-R held together mighty well.

Had a go in the R32. Fun race. Wish we could get a Group A thing happening: R32, E30 M3, A70 Supra
I took the GT-R out last night for a no-qual and finished ten spots up. It's really fast once it gets going, I think I outran most of those on the straight.

I took the GT-R out last night for a no-qual and finished ten spots up. It's really fast once it gets going, I think I outran most of those on the straight.
Yeah, been using it for multiple races and once out in the open, I'm gone.

Just then, GT-R in 4th. I'm 3rd, in a 4C. :D Don't think I've used one for a couple years. :lol:
GT-R gets by at T1. Harassed P1 for 8 laps before P1 pits for RH. People haven't realised how strong the GT-R is in this combo. I sure didn't.

Anyway, I pestered a C7 the whole race. Got ahead on Lap7. Set FL. Got passed again on the straight.
Last two laps, I'm on its bumper to set up for the last lap. Second place kind of gifted to me, due to the C7 scraping the barrier, before the tunnel. GT-R wins ahead of me by 5 seconds.

Going to run some laps in the 4C, at Laguna Seca. I'm liking this little flea.

Last edited:
more great racing at goodwood this morning. I have had a hard time being consistent with the skyline, but it is a very enjoyable race. I had nothing but good races there this week. some wins, lots of podiums, and some mid to bottom of the pack as a result of mistakes. I really do love the game so much when it provides this type of racing. it all comes down to the competitors in the end though. a big :cheers: to any and everyone I met on the track this week.

here is my final race of the week, one of the better ones I had. I'll post my pov and the regular replay

Daily race C has been quite enjoyable this week. Guess I'm among the minority who enjoy driving the FF cars.

@bone_tone was good to see you out there, I was on my alt account. But still great clean racing.

Spent some time today on my main account, trying to improve my quali time. Couldn't match the time I did on my alt account, about 2 tenths off.

Any pointers from the group would be awesome. Not sure where I could get any more time.

Daily race C has been quite enjoyable this week. Guess I'm among the minority who enjoy driving the FF cars.

@bone_tone was good to see you out there, I was on my alt account. But still great clean racing.

Spent some time today on my main account, trying to improve my quali time. Couldn't match the time I did on my alt account, about 2 tenths off.

Any pointers from the group would be awesome. Not sure where I could get any more time.

Stay in 5th for the esses., flat out COD , i usually take it around 208kph ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back