"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Daily Race A (1)

Qualified 4th

At the start of the race, 3rd place didn't get a good start and I was able to pass them right before Turn 1. At turn 3, I ran a tiny bit wide and got punted off the track and was then passed by EVERYONE else.....putting me in dead last (12th). And that got me a 1.5 second penalty. After the esses, I was up to 8th thanks to some chaos going on between other drivers. The following lap, I was punted again (by the same driver), and, again, was given a 1.5 second penalty.

So I get punted off twice, but I'M given the penalty. And after the 1st time, the guy who punted me, I saw him cut 2 corners but received no penalty. Then, when he punted me for the 2nd time, he got a penalty, as well.

As I've read, the penalty system is a bit of a joke. And I can now see it for myself.

It pissed me off because I was actually doing decent and keeping up with the leaders until I got shown the grass and the wall. Like when I was actually driving, I was doing pretty well and running some clean laps; even in that dang X-Bow on those slippery tires.

Last edited:
There is a car which could be called "bad" at RBR? Looks like most of cars can be good here at most of rankings. I'm doing some laps before starting some races and my lap times with Z4 are on par with the ones I did with Vantage and Viper. Of course, I just did some laps, but the Z4 feels very comfortable around the corners and I felt more confidence to push more.

They MUST do something about that INSANE dipper penalty. It is a legit 4 second penalty to gain what, 2 tenths? Infuriating.

@avgracer41 yeah, ah, the power cars have a clear advantage in my hands at least and it is my best track, by a margin. Aston every day of the week, lay on the power HARD, Z4 should be swallowed up.

Last edited:
Daily Race A (2)

Qualified 6th, finished 4th

Again, at the start, a bit of chaos. Somebody didn't even get off the line and was quickly rear-ended by the driver behind them (who was beside me). So I was able to pass both of them easily at the very start, lol. That put me in 4th and that's where I remained. It was a much cleaner race for me, that time; thankfully. Although, the leaders were opening up a gap on me about a second a lap. But, the X-Bow is a car I've barely driven. And with those Sports Hard tires, it's quite the comical event, for me.

Still, I'll take the raising 2 spots from start to finish.

That's it for me for racing, tonight. I just wanted to get in a couple races before bed. I'm off Sunday and Monday, so I'll probably do a lot more, then.

Not for nothing, but I'm from the states. When I started watching V8 Supercars in the late '90s, even though there was a lot of contact, the driver's seemed to race cleaner during the '00s. More about preserving the car to be there end of the race.
Always watched European and Asia racing and it's more dive bomb, block at all costs to keep the position. I think that makes a difference from what some players grew up seeing.

Sure, I bet many players don't watch real racing, but from what I read in Daily & FIA threads, it's seems to apply moreso than in Australian/New Zealand races.

I've thought about this before and I do agree the brand of racing people are bought up with tends to affect players understanding of acceptable etiquette. I do notice AU/NZ drivers tend to not mind a bit of door to door contact, but are very intolerant towards nose to tail stuff, which imo is very in line with the sort of racing and driving standards V8 supercars encouraged.

Personally I've never enjoyed excessive blocking, which I believe was discouraged in V8SC rules I grew up with, yet as you say EU and elsewhere drivers love a late and aggressive block which I'd contend is consistent with what's considered reasonable in EU open wheel racing.

I am likely done for the week, managed to gain 1500 DR, never finished higher than 4th though, just a bunch of tough guys to race against.

Never really felt comfortable in anything but the WRX, but man, I was being eviscerated down conrod. I needed a full second to be safe, it just has no top end. Initial acceleration is fine but it is all torque, there's no hp.

Yesterday day was eventful then things took a drastic turn tonight and I need to regroup.

Still Gr3 only so race B. Ran two races with one Q to get use to more traffic and practice overtaking. Back of the pack in D is no fun. Finished p4 in my first. Second had some Canadian bumping me everytime I next to him.

Decided to Quali and set a low 30 even though I can pace bottom 29 because I still lack confidence. First race slot 2 behind a Vette. Was able to take the lead in lap 2 and won my first race.

Second race slot 1. Entered T1 my normal way which is braking way left so I can enter in 3rd gear and roll onto the throttle. By the time I hit T2 I had a .7 gap and finished untouched for my second win with a 10 second gap. So, 9 races in and now I'm a C DR. Not sure if that's good but I'll take it.

Now. Where things changed... I've always had this weird thing with my DD1 where the initial input past the light center of the wheel is always seemed to aggressive and something else that always seemed off. I've been messing with it for two months. Thought it was technique, maybe distance from the monitor, input lag... and so on.

It's always been just enough that I would always have to correct my initial turn in because it was too sharp and the input seemed to have a ramp in it. You would think after 20k miles of driving I would adjust but it always seemed off. Recently I wrote it off as nature of the beast or maybe in GTS and tried to adapt.

Then.. I see a line in the change log for the latest driver that states a steering angle change to "linear" after firmware and it all makes sense so I installed it.

After the update and a little testing it's way better. Enough so i was clicking off mid 28's and a 28.1 optimum within 8 laps when I struggled to consistently break 29's on mediums. So much more fluid and predictable. Now I have to relearn but I'm excited! Sorry for the long winded post. This is my only avenue to talk about this stuff besides the wife and you know how enthralled they can be. Lol

N100 at Goodwood next week. As much as I want it to be the Mini-Cooper(I mean, it has to be), I'll have an alternative. Something fresh.

Edit: On the wife's account in Race C(SLS). Last to 10th. Clean racin except for one incident. Someone pushed too much and took a car ahead off the road. The car ahead of me(VW) must have been a mate of the car that got shoved off. Down Conrod, the VW ahead of me made a b-line to smash that earlier player, into the wall on the right hand side, before the PZ. The VW was clean from the start. Wasn'tt blocking or being silly. Even gave me room to make a clean pass at T2. Careful out there. Some people know people.

Race B. AMG GT.
11th to 2nd. Start at T2, a Vantage hit the brakes too early as a HUracan was behind. It moved hard right to avoid and inadvertently T-boned a different Vantage. The Beetle ahead of me avoided the bunch up, but tapped an RSR by accident. The RSR gets a penalty and runs the Beetle off the road. All that moved me from 11th to 5th, in one carner.
From there, head down and made sure to build a gap to the cars behind. Vantage in the lead, C7 P2, two Vantages chasing the C7. Speedy cars, but I just kept nailing my apexes. Then, it happens. P3 Vantage goes deep under brakes and swipes P2 at T2, so cleanly. C7 runs a little wide and the P4 Vantage scoops 3rd. Helps me to catch up to the pack.

C7 gets a penalty for the final turn and desperate at T1 knocks into P2 & P3. Slows itself down by going wide and I scoop P4. P3 Vantage goes too shallow into T2, runs wide and I get P3. Same Vantage tries to go as deep as me under brakes from far back, but I'm already entring the apex. It goes wide again.

Last lap. AMG been strong through the esses and I gain on the bumper of P2. Stick to it like glue, from the PZ through T1. Get the better run out of T1 for side by side to T2. P2 stays wide left and I stay tight right and slow, to make sure not to run wide incase the Vantage is running next to me. Grab P2.
STay smooth for the final turns 5 seconds behind the leader.

Last edited:
No alts in use this week...

Did two more C tonight. The first one I was behind a driver called MaNIC_UK and I was so fascinated by his driving style (doing the @GOTMAXPOWER slide on apex, tiny slide to rotate then power out) that I forgot my strategy and missed the pit on lap 2.
Got frustrated so missed a few corners, got caught by someone else and spun. In the end I finished one spot above my starting point.

Second race I was surprised to see two 787B's in the upper half of the grid
I past them by the bridge on L1, one had 3.5 sec penalty, the other had 5
Pitted on L2 and the undercut brought me to p5. Then a guy in a Pug passed me (on fresh softs) and the guy behind him couldn't pass immediately. So he promptly pushed me in to the gravel at the Ducks Beak (Jerry 1 I think). Those two finished on podium, I finished 5th. That's ok from p11 but it could maybe have been higher with a clean racer.
Anyways, as of now I have this week went from 17 to 23k in two or three races a day.

Other people have said the same about the way I drive, I don’t realise I’m doing it. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing ? I know once you learn to drive quick your sub conscious should take over and you shouldn’t need to think too much. For example when you are ‘“in the zone”

I’ve also experienced distraction whilst playing but actually went faster, wtf is that all about. Im doing laps trying to get a better qualifying place, not really progressing or getting a better time. The missus comes in and starts mincing my head with ********, chatting away with her and the next thing I know I’ve dropped a second off my lap time.

Yeah great, but would be even better if I could remember or realise where the feck that second came from. Did I just drive a fraction faster all the way round or did I nail a couple of bends dead on ? Who knows 🙈

Sorry for making you miss your pit stop Racing Grandpa 👍👍

I don't get much time for the dailies, so I've been time trialling the mountain to find the best car (for me anyway) to attack a few races over the weekend when I have more time to commit to a few races. My top ten are as follows:

1. Hyundai Genesis - 2:13.097
2. Dodge Viper - 2:13.545
3. Nissan GT-R - 2:13.621
4. Lamborghini Huracan - 2:13.713
5. Renault Megane - 2:13.737
6. Ferrari 458 - 2:13.742
7. McLaren 650S - 2:13.755
8. Peugeot RCZ - 2:13.779
9. Audi TT Cup - 2:13.840
10. Toyota GR Supra - 2:13.905

I wasn't surprised to get the Viper and GT-R so high up the list as I've spent so much time in them, but was very surprised at just how rapid the Genesis is! The handling is on point at every turn and the gearing seems perfect for this circuit. The most disappointing times were the Alfa 4C and the Aston Vantage, and the Megane Trophy was also one of the slowest of the bunch.

Over the weekend I'll probably get 4-5 races in, so I'll be in the Genesis, Viper and GT-R! See you out there on the mountain!

I am surprised by those numbers, goes to show we are all different. I ran a 13.3 in the WRX, next fastest was the aston, vw then Hyundai. Cannot get the gtr to turn in like the wrx does.
I couldn't get the WRX under 2:14. To be fair though, I drove it after I'd been driving the Cayman, RS Megane, and Megane Trophy, so it was a very different beast by comparison and I don't think I extracted its full potential. I've had some really good races in it, but I couldn't navigate the twisty mountain section without clipping a wall (sometimes even steering too tight and clipping the inside) so there were definitely mistakes made. That said, my optimal was still a way off the others. I think I would need to re-run the Aston. I only got a 15.5 in it!

I've thought about this before and I do agree the brand of racing people are bought up with tends to affect players understanding of acceptable etiquette. I do notice AU/NZ drivers tend to not mind a bit of door to door contact, but are very intolerant towards nose to tail stuff, which imo is very in line with the sort of racing and driving standards V8 supercars encouraged.

Personally I've never enjoyed excessive blocking, which I believe was discouraged in V8SC rules I grew up with, yet as you say EU and elsewhere drivers love a late and aggressive block which I'd contend is consistent with what's considered reasonable in EU open wheel racing.
Yeah, I don't know about that.

I'm fine with going door to door with others, if there's contact causes by slight understeer/oversteer or bouncing off a curb then play on. Same goes with a bit of a touch under brakes.

So long as its not a touch under brakes leading to a shove off the track.

I mean I push to 10/tenths all the time, I don't bother with fuel saving or tyre conservation so if there is a gap big enough for me to put the car I'm in there without punting, then i'm going for it. On the flip side of that coin, I accept that others will do so to me.

But as long as the contact (if any) is not malicious then I'm fine with it.

To be honest, I get frustrated by drivers not bump drafting on the long straights (unless they are at Route X)

Race A for next week looks like N100 at Goodwood x 4 laps. No Race B or C yet.
Likely to be the Mini or Golf GTi again, or maybe the 356 as a practice for the up-coming Porsche Gran Turismo Cup Asia Pacific race, but would be cool if it was something different like the Abarth 500 or Honda S800 - just to throw something different in the mix for a change!

Goodwood revival is in a few weeks. They're adding a pedestrian bridge. Probably not in game but that would be very cool if they did.

"A new viewing area and a cross-over pedestrian bridge at Madgwick Corner, “arguably the trickiest corner of the circuit.”

I couldn't get the WRX under 2:14. To be fair though, I drove it after I'd been driving the Cayman, RS Megane, and Megane Trophy, so it was a very different beast by comparison and I don't think I extracted its full potential. I've had some really good races in it, but I couldn't navigate the twisty mountain section without clipping a wall (sometimes even steering too tight and clipping the inside) so there were definitely mistakes made. That said, my optimal was still a way off the others. I think I would need to re-run the Aston. I only got a 15.5 in it!
Gee i found it the best car across the top for me by miles. I know there are better handling cars but they tend to want to switch ends at the dipper, the rex I could chuck.

As for extracting the best, you know where you hit the gas on each corner exit? Do that 5 seconds earlier in the rex, sometime ON the apex, not after it. It's a poor race car though, get gobbled up on conrod. In saying that, a lot of people bin it and this car stays on the dang road.

Fuji short!
shocked jurassic park GIF

Next week's dailies:

Race A: N100 @ Goodwood | 4 laps | SM
Race B: Gr.4 @ Fuji Short | 4 laps | RM
Race C: Gr.3 @ Maggiore GP | 10 laps | RS/RM | Tyres x6 | Fuel x2
Race B it is then for me.

Wonder what are the go to car/s for that track because it's been a while since I last did a Daily with that car/track combo.

GF is right, the nerfing of the FF cars has brought the Group 4 category to life. This is the first time in 3 years the Ferrari was a legit pest. The 4C desperately needs a power bump though.

Last edited:
Back