"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Boy, I'm usually handy with econobox races in Race A, in terms of pace. But getting to my K' Speed Score Target Time in the Daihatsu at Goodwood has been a struggle. That's a tricky one, and I can't quite figure out why it's so different from the Mini, for example (where I was really quick relative to my standard pace.)

And here I thought I'd be able to nudge my K' Speed Score up over 80 with this week's events... it may actually drop a bit unless I can solve the riddle.

(and: nice lap, @sturk0167 ...been referencing yours but can't duplicate it)

Silly me was unaware you could quali on softs in race C. I've been on mediums. Lol. Rookie mistake. At least I'm a little stronger on meds during the race. Got a p3 and my first p1 earlier. Woot.

Good day so far though. I encountered my first A and A+ drivers in 2 races and held my own. Started slot 7 finished P6 after getting punted in T2 by a stupid vette.

I expect nothing less than complete mayhem.
Next week will be a carnage fest.
giphy.gif

Godspeed you poor souls who dare that Brands Hatch Gr. 2 race.

It took me eight events in Race A to go from a B-rating to a D-rating. Without punting anyone. Without any impact on my SR rating.

(I do not recommend doing this. It’s analogous to an actor gaining a lot of weight for a film role: putting the weight on is a lot easier, and quicker, than taking it off. Seriously. There are consequences. I started a recent FIA event with a D-rating, and the first race I participated in awarded 7 points for first place.)

The reason I know exactly how many races I participated in is simple: I got a clean race bonus every time.

I took those steps necessary to defend last place. And I was very successful.

I drove in a “spirited” manner. Which is to say, slower with precision.

I made the following deliberate changes to my technique:

I short-shifted aggressively. My shift point was 7,000 rpm.

I stayed out of top gear. The Copen rarely exceeded 90 mph (140 kmph?).

I then practiced hitting brake markers from a well-known and trusted source of lap guides on youTube, as if I were driving at full speed.

In the spirit of not interfering with other drivers, it was vital that I not allow myself to get lapped. On this particular race, this presented no problem.

Driving an already slow car just a little bit slower on a scenic track like Goodwood rendered such driving more tolerable than it might otherwise have been with a track car on the Blue Moon Bay oval, for instance. (I haven’t tried this approach with a track car. Yet.)

Once I had surgically reset my Driver Rating, I circled back to the matter of clean race bonuses. That third and final consecutive clean race achievement had eluded me for months. My best was 12 consecutive races. And here I was with a streak of 8 clean races. I was determined to continue with this unconventional, counter-intuitive approach until I hit 15 consecutive races (or until I broke the streak.)

Driving one clean race was easy. Driving a clean race 15 times in a row was tricky. I very nearly ended my streak several times. But I did it.

So, not only was I able to strategically adjust my DR rating without doing so at the direct expense of any other single driver, I was also able to do so in a manner that awarded me an in-game achievement.

I also got to know the track really well, including those brake markers.

Baron von Punt-Often is just another griefer.

I now have just over a day to get my DR rating up in time for the Nations Cup.
It took me 3 days to go from a D-rating to a Gentleman's C-rating.

Starting to get a little stronger on softs. Got my first p1 to p1 last night in a B lobby. 6s 4m because I'm decent with tires if I'm out front.

Kept a good focused pace from the first turn and was smooth for me. Also been adjusting my vision and turning in a touch earlier. Also set a darn good quali at 53.2 for my skill set.

I'm thinking if I race a bunch today and tomorrow I might make A ranks. We'll see.

Attachments

• 20210910_211940.jpg
    20210910_211940.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 13
Anymore progress on this weeks C?
I didn't race yesterday because I was doing stuff. But I did do a race this afternoon and had some success.

I started P10 and am immediately dive-bombed going into to turn 1. Like yikes, it's a 10 lap race hold your horses. I fall back to P12 after that mess. Clean racing from everyone else the rest of the way. Some incidental contact, but that's to be expected. I find myself in P8 after pit stops just cruising. Next lap, 3 cars all exit the pits in front of me and I avoid the ghosts to avoid contact because who knows when they would become solid again. We all get trough with no problems. I did get into the back of someone when they held their brake too long going into turn 1. I even braked early enough to avoid contact, but to no avail. I did apologize afterwards. I finish P9 and that's OK by me.

I'm done after that because I don't want to risk SR with the potential for dive-bombs and people forcing themselves into my line and shoving me out of the way. That, and the NFL season kicks off in full on Sunday and I will be watching all day so no time for races.

Last edited:
I didn't race yesterday because I was doing stuff. But I did do a race this afternoon and had some success.

I started P10 and am immediately dive-bombed going into to turn 1. Like yikes, it's a 10 lap race hold your horses. I fall back to P12 after that mess. Clean racing from everyone else the rest of the way. Some incidental contact, but that's to be expected. I find myself in P8 after pit stops just cruising. Next lap, 3 cars all exit the pits in front of me and I avoid the ghosts to avoid contact because who knows when they would become solid again. We all get trough with no problems. I did get into the back of someone when they held their brake too long going into turn 1. I even braked early enough to avoid contact, but to no avail. I did apologize afterwards. I finish P9 and that's OK by me.

I'm done after that because I don't want to risk SR with the potential for dive-bombs and people forcing themselves into my line and shoving me out of the way. That, and the NFL season kicks off in full on Sunday and I will be watching all day so no time for races.
All football and no practice makes Jack a slow racer!

Well my plan to race a bunch yesterday and today was thwarted by our ailing cat. Poor guy...

I did manage to squeak in another p1 to p1 in a decent lobby with A+ and A drivers and also clicked of a 52.8 quali for posterity today. About 1400 points left to A in 33 races.

This week will be tough. I haven't raced Interlagos so I have to learn it. I love BR but have limited time in GR2 cars... time for practice!

Boy, I'm usually handy with econobox races in Race A, in terms of pace. But getting to my K' Speed Score Target Time in the Daihatsu at Goodwood has been a struggle. That's a tricky one, and I can't quite figure out why it's so different from the Mini, for example (where I was really quick relative to my standard pace.)

And here I thought I'd be able to nudge my K' Speed Score up over 80 with this week's events... it may actually drop a bit unless I can solve the riddle.

(and: nice lap, @sturk0167 ...been referencing yours but can't duplicate it)
Yeah, it's a tricky one. I use 5th gear every corner except the chicane. I get close to my target time (1m31.6), but I'm a tenth off, and every time I'm up, I screw up the final chicane!! My current K speed score is 87....not really sure on the significance of the number, but it is a great site to track performance.

Didn't get much chance for more driving this week and only got in a solid half hour of quali time tonight on the B race. Managed a 1:43.8xx and guess I'll have to be happy with that.

Definitely looking forward to the next race C tho, Brands Hatch is a great track and goes really well with all car levels. Not so great when it comes to racing so we'll see how that goes.

That was an interesting race for sure. Not sure if I was partly to blame for what looked like a spin you had coming out of Surtees. If so my apologies.
No mate, you’re all good. I just got it wrong.

I thought I had you into Hawthorns but just couldn’t quite get ahead. Nice job holding it around the outside. It was a good race for the most part, but I just couldn’t keep it pointed in the right direction. I feel like my pace is pretty good, I just need to stop making stupid mistakes.

Went again straight away and got pushed off at Stirling and Clark on lap 1 in the next race. Some really dirty driving in that one.

No mate, you’re all good. I just got it wrong.

I thought I had you into Hawthorns but just couldn’t quite get ahead. Nice job holding it around the outside. It was a good race for the most part, but I just couldn’t keep it pointed in the right direction. I feel like my pace is pretty good, I just need to stop making stupid mistakes.

Went again straight away and got pushed off at Stirling and Clark on lap 1 in the next race. Some really dirty driving in that one.
Yeah, the driving standards up the front of our race was less than average. The Race Winner barged into 2nd on the final lap at Westfields and then punted Metalgear off at Stirlings.

I'll be going again in the AM slots before work this week as I like driving the Gr.2 cars and this race has strategy options for both zero and one stoppers.

Went out for a few early rounds from the back in race C. Be on your toes, cars are going off everywhere. This track usually claims victims, but with the aero dependence on these cars it seems the slightest touch of the grass is lethal.
Race 1 went from p17 to p8 in the first lap and a half, with 2 passes. Race 2 I went from p19 to p6 in 2 laps with again only 2 passes. Ghosts everywhere making rejoins a real hazard as well.

Seen some of the usual garbage driving, but I attribute that to the hour of the lobbies. Did have some great racing for 2 laps with a poor soul that took out the NSX. Great clean back and forth until he got a tank slapper in dingle dell.

Keep em strapped on this week. I dont know if I'll do any more racing, but I've gott give the Clio a go for hot laps in race A. That's a fun car.

Yeah, it's a tricky one. I use 5th gear every corner except the chicane. I get close to my target time (1m31.6), but I'm a tenth off, and every time I'm up, I screw up the final chicane!! My current K speed score is 87....not really sure on the significance of the number, but it is a great site to track performance.
I really like the K' site and Speed Score is a nice challenge to track performance. It is essentially 1 - the % gap to your region's top time. So 87 means that you are typically within 1.3% of the top time for a Daily event within your region. There is a formula to only count a certain top, relevant portion, so that your score includes a more normalized statement of your overall speed, not every event you've qualified for. It's also a handy gauge for how fast your FP times should be, for FIA events, if you extract the same % gap to those events, though be careful, the relative gap for Gr3 and Gr4 events is typically different. (smaller gap for Gr4 events as it's a little easier to extract top performance from those cars, than the Gr3, and in most cases relatively bigger gap up through Gr2/Gr1 and Formula cars).

Back