"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
I'll give it a shot. I'm being too aggressive around the track the more I think about it. Hopefully I can keep the car under control and not run off into the grass.
Granted I'm not a pro or putting down top times but I know the theory well and worked in racing for many years. Based on that I always give advice that helped me or I know is proven.

I've only been at this game with a wheel since June of this year. I started because I needed something to focus energy on to help with some mental ****.

When I first started and for the first two months I drove way too hard chasing ghosts and didn't practice what I preach until I started watching some of the pro level guys.. From there I started using their qualifying times and race times as benchmarks to practice.

My first benchmark was the olympic qualifier at Dragontrail by Gallo at 1.345xx in the Supra on softs. Long story short is once I started just driving the car and paying attention to the clock as I worked on my line I discovered the age old motto "slow in fast out" and "smooth is fast"

Using traditional racing techniques I started to notice it felt like I was going slower but my laptimes were going down at a rapid pace. After a solid month every day on just Dragon trail I finally bested the time by .002 and have since been 1.343xx.

I'm still working on breaking some bad habits but as I learn more tracks I'm starting to get quicker and more consistent on tracks easier than before and better technique is growing.

So, after my long ass post I hope it helps you get better. It's easy to watch replays or chase ghosts but I think they cause bad habits. I just watch the clock and act like I'm good at this.

I really want to race a bunch this week but I don't have the focus. Our cat is approaching goodbye and I'm a bit of a wreck.

Race C is not going to happen for me this week. No matter what I do I can’t keep the car on the track. I’m getting flustered and I don’t want to go on tilt in a race of and make even more mistakes as it goes on. Which stinks because Gr.2 is my favorite type of car to drive in this game. Oh well, here’s hoping to some good combos next week.

Granted I'm not a pro or putting down top times but I know the theory well and worked in racing for many years. Based on that I always give advice that helped me or I know is proven.
Any advice is appreciated. Brands Hatch is one of the few tracks I like, but can't fully adapt to. Even in the slower Gr.4 cars I manage to spin out constantly. I like to run to the absolute edge of a track coming out of corners, and that doesn't work at a narrow track like Brands.

Last edited:
I like the combos this week. But I need to give it a rest. Even with the settings turned way down, my hands are taking a beating.

To me, the curbs on Brands are downright violent in these cars. And those bumps on Tokyo Expressway really add up.

I should probably learn to use the controller better. Wish I kept my T-80, I would have used it for races like this.

I find Interlagos by far the worst track for sore hands from using a controller.

Greece brands is sketchy, you can be off your turn in by a bee's di....... bee's appendage, and boom you just did a 720. I am somehow managing to keep my DR in tavt but man it is white knuckle stuff. Totally reliant on other folks binning it.

Interlagos is a bit fun to time trial, but it is a pretty boring race when players are fairly equal. There few places to pass and other drivers need to make a pretty big mistake to not be able to block you from a pass. In the races I have been in so far it seems that everyone finished within a couple of spots of their pole position.

Last edited:
I haven't run a DR C race, yet, this go 'round. I did set a qualifying lap just to see how I did after a week away from actual racing. It wasn't all that good, so I need to get back out and do some more laps. All the races I did yesterday were race B. My highest starting position was.....4th?.....6th? I honestly can't remember. My finishing positions were not that high, though. I was trying to keep my DR going up, but that didn't happen. I dropped down a spot due to some abysmal driving on my part. I was mainly just trying to stay out of the way and not cause too much trouble since I knew I'd be off the pace.

I might try to get into a C race later today (have to leave for work in a bit). But I want to run more laps to try and get a feel for the track.....which is definitely not my favorite, lol.

Race C is not going to happen for me this week. No matter what I do I can’t keep the car on the track. I’m getting flustered and I don’t want to go on tilt in a race of and make even more mistakes as it goes on. Which stinks because Gr.2 is my favorite type of car to drive in this game. Oh well, here’s hoping to some good combos next week.

Any advice is appreciated. Brands Hatch is one of the few tracks I like, but can't fully adapt to. Even in the slower Gr.4 cars I manage to spin out constantly. I like to run to the absolute edge of a track coming out of corners, and that doesn't work at a narrow track like Brands.
Using more of the inside curbs on the apex equals less running too wide on exit if you have the car pointed right and get on the throttle smoother. Assuming your on a wheel turning up both sensitivity settings will help with GR2 cars to eliminate using so much steering angle. My problem is I'm usually real wide on entry so I knick a curb under braking and away I go. Brands has a decent groove if you turn tighter and stay within limits.

Last night and today I messed around in quali with the Nissan and Acura as well as it being my first time really driving GR2. On Brands I only full brake on T1 and T2. The rest is about downshifting and light braking to get the nose down and let the car work.

With my normal coasting and starting to push harder I'm doing ok. Optimum is low 15's after an hour or so. I had a good 15.4 going but flubbed the last turn.

Attachments

• 20210915_185333.jpg
    20210915_185333.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 21
Using more of the inside curbs on the apex equals less running too wide on exit if you have the car pointed right and get on the throttle smoother. Assuming your on a wheel turning up both sensitivity settings will help with GR2 cars to eliminate using so much steering angle. My problem is I'm usually real wide on entry so I knick a curb under braking and away I go. Brands has a decent groove if you turn tighter and stay within limits.

Last night and today I messed around in quali with the Nissan and Acura as well as it being my first time really driving GR2. On Brands I only full brake on T1 and T2. The rest is about downshifting and light braking to get the nose down and let the car work.

With my normal coasting and starting to push harder I'm doing ok. Optimum is low 15's after an hour or so. I had a good 15.4 going but flubbed the last turn.
I use the inside curbs plenty on the tracks. I've been trying to ease off the brakes and into the throttle on corner exit, but old habits die hard and I mash it to the floor and I shoot wider than expected. Just something I need to learn to do better.

I use the inside curbs plenty on the tracks. I've been trying to ease off the brakes and into the throttle on corner exit, but old habits die hard and I mash it to the floor and I shoot wider than expected. Just something I need to learn to do better.
Been there, man. Depending on the corner I try to time my full throttle point just as I straighten the wheel out of exit. And I always try to allow a little margin for correction if needed. It really helps with consistency.

If you're using TCS, that may be the reason you're getting on the throttle too early and going wide.

Brands is inevitable for me. First 2 nights I managed to hang on at near 40K DR but I knew what was coming, dropped 1300 points last night as I spun twice from top 10 positions to finish in the teens. There's just zero tolerance at brands, any error and it is 15 seconds. I am also struggling for used tyre pace, by lap 4 on a set I am not able to hang with the top 10 for pace and get pressured from behind.

Might retire the Alt account I use for Dailies...

1631825878665.png

1631825912199.png

Never really thought I'd get to A+ rating.

Started racing on the Alt account (my son's PSN) to avoid messing up my main account's DR/SR... and here I am 10k above the main account, clean as a whistle, and wishing it was my main!

Broke the 50k mark with another good run on Race A... was thinking to myself "I don't really like leading this race, I'd rather be in 2nd, but ok..." when: my TV turned itself off again! I lost two positions and had to fight back after I hit 'option' (auto-drive) and scrambled to find the remote. Was able to get 2nd back but I lost out on the win to cap my achievement in more dramatic style, by 0.034 seconds... just a fender from the win. DAMMIT! @BenRod must have had even more trouble as he DNF'd (uncharacteristically) and I couldn't celebrate with him afterward. Loved seeing him behind me on the prior race, knowing I could trust him at the hairpin. 😀

Anyway, fun to have accomplished A+ rating... and seriously will think about sticking with my main account now, as I've been able to manage it better in recent months, without major setbacks on the Alt, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Doing some qualifying TT on Brands Hatch, trying to beat my K' Score target of 01:14.731. Gr.2 around there is without a doubt one of the most difficult combinations available in GT Sport. Fun but ridiculously frustrating...

Edit: Well, a few minutes after the post of course I beat it. .597, now to see if that stands 'til the end of this week.

Last edited:
I did a few "B"s earlier, but didn't fair too well. I started 4th in 3 races, but finished 11th, 9th, and 5th. The 1st 2 were totally my fault. I made some very costly mistakes that cost me a penalty in each race. The 3rd one was a bit of me and a bit of another driver. he kept hitting and pushing me and finally pushed me off the line enough to make the pass. I tried holding the position and the line, but I was trying not to get pushed totally off the track and lose even more time and spots. So I just let him pass. And when he did that, the one right behind him went through, as well. That put me down to 7th. But a few turns later, they got together, both went off track, and I went around both of them to take back 5th.

After that, I decided to try using manual. I've always driven with an automatic, so I wasn't used to it. I decided to go to Time Trial, take the car I'd been using for this daily, and went to the same track.....and I put it on manual. At first, I was about 2 seconds behind my normal lap times with that car on that track. But after I got used to it, I was putting in laps that were consistently a second or 2 ahead of my fastest laps using automatic.

After about 10 laps, I decided I was ready to try another race "B" to see how I'd do. I qualified 5th, and told myself I'd be happy if I stayed within 3 spots of there. At the start, I was keeping up with the front 4 and doing quite well. I took a look backwards when we were on the straight on lap 2, and we were all way ahead of the the other cars. So I was content to just stay there and have a decent finish for my 1st time using manual in an actual race. Then 3rd and 4th started battling, and it slowed both of them down. One of them spun out, so I took 4th. Then 2nd and 3rd started battling, and one of them spun out, so I took 3rd. Then, 2nd went a little wide on a turn, and I took his spot. And that's where I finished. From 5th to 2nd while using manual for the 1st time in an actual race.

I'll be trying other cars to make sure I can drive them as well as the 1 I'd been using (Porsche 911 RSR) before I do anymore races. If I do better with them, I'll use them for the daily races to see how it goes.

Oh, and I finally hit 20m Cr, so I was able to buy the Ferrari 330 P4 and do the Professional League Nostalgic 1979 series. I have 1 more to go, and then I'll have all the races done in Campaign mode.

ETA: Just did a qualifying run at Brands Hatch with the only car I have that can run in that particular race (Motul Autech GT-R). My previous record (using automatic) was a 1:24.5xx. My record now (using manual) is 1:20.7xx. So I was able to knock almost 4 full seconds off my time. That makes me happy. But I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try it in an actual race, though. It's my bed time so I'll be attempting a couple/few runs tomorrow.

Last edited:
Always good to hear from someone relatively new and improving all the time.

I find auto ok but I get annoyed when it just WILL NOT change down on key corners. Bathurst t2 this happens a lot, as well as the right hander at lake maggiore before it heads steeply downhill.

If you're on a 1.20 at brands, there's still time to find even for a lower ranked driver. The three fast right hander mid lap are critical, keep going through there faster and faster until you bin it, you should be barely touching the brake for the 2nd and 3rd.

If you're using TCS, that may be the reason you're getting on the throttle too early and going wide.
That could also be a problem, but I also attack the track in an effort to pick up any amount of time. So if I can gain just that bit of time by getting on the gas earlier, I'll take that chance. High risk, high reward the way I see it.

Daily Races next week:

Race A - Autopolis Shortcut Course/Gr.4 provided/6 laps/Racing Mediums

Race B - Dragon Trail Seaside/Gr.3/4 laps/Racing Mediums

Race C - La Sarthe (no chicane)/Gr.1/6 laps/Racing Softs and Racing Mediums (mandatory)/fuel consumption at 2x and tire wear at 9x

I was thinking of using a Group C car since Daily Race C's going to be using the no chicane variant of La Sarthe and the 787B was the first car I thought of using.

But I need to see first how qualifying time trials go because my fear is that this is going to be a 908-fest in terms of qualifying.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using a Group C car since Daily Race C's going to be using the no chicane variant of La Sarthe and the 787B was the first car I thought of using.

But I need to see first how qualifying time trials go because my fear is that this is going to be a 908-fest in terms of qualifying.
The last time we had this combo was July 2020. @Mistah_MCA used the Nissan R92CP for his lap guide, and finished the week at #3 in the American region. No idea what car the other top 10 drivers used.

The last time we had this combo was July 2020. @Mistah_MCA used the Nissan R92CP for his lap guide, and finished the week at #3 in the American region. No idea what car the other top 10 drivers used.
Interesting.

Ah well I'm excited to see how this goes because I really wanted to try and get a Gr.1 daily race win on a Group C car and this seems to be my perfect chance of getting one.

Back