"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Doing some Race A today, managed to go over a second clear of my K score which is brilliant.

Just finished 2nd to bring up my 100th top 5 finish that isn't a win in daily races.

I just tried a custom race with the Fuel x 2 & Tires x 9 multipliers.
I did half the race distance (3 laps) in the Porsche 962C.
Fuel is no issue. I used medium tires, with TCS at 3, and brakes at +2.
My rear tires were about 40% worn after the 3 laps. Maybe -1 brakes would help a bit.

Since soft tires are available, and mediums are mandatory, I suspect a lot of people will do 5 laps on soft tires, and 1 lap on mediums.
I'm no good at saving tires, so I think a no-stop on mediums won't work very well for me. Plus, the pit stops at Le Mans are not as long as they used to be. 4S, 2M sounds about right for me, and it may help me to avoid pitting at the same time as everyone else.

Last edited:
It's always worse when it's no chicane. Does bumpdrafting give SR down? No one knows now....
I think so. I've done 480 races on my newest account, and the only time I've been reset, so far, was at the Red Bull X2019 Le Mans race. I only hit one person intentionally. All my other races felt pretty clean, but the SR plummeted to 1. :irked:

Last edited:
Not this cowboy. I use Group C cars even when the chicanes are on.
Without the chicanes, it makes even more sense to use them.

I like to make noise like this :D -->

Interesting.

Ah well I'm excited to see how this goes because I really wanted to try and get a Gr.1 daily race win on a Group C car and this seems to be my perfect chance of getting one.
We had this combo about a year ago. The group C '92 Nismo was a popular choice due to its top speed of around 370 kph. The hybrids could not compete. The Mazda LM55 was my choice over the Nismo - a bit slower but better handling.

Since that race folks used the Audi VGT (hybrid) at St Croix but it had a downside with a super long 6th gear. I have not tried that one at Le Sarthe and that long gear might help.

Doing some Race A today, managed to go over a second clear of my K score which is brilliant.

Just finished 2nd to bring up my 100th top 5 finish that isn't a win in daily races.
Saw you in a few races, using my alt account today - got to about 500 points shy of A DR after some good results (staying out of trouble, as far as possible!).

Managed to get my main account to A yesterday - mix of A and C races. Same tactics at Tokyo, but I don't think I overtook anybody at Brands (not on the road anyway) - best result was an 18th to 6th.

Daily Races next week:

Race A - Autopolis Shortcut Course/Gr.4 provided/6 laps/Racing Mediums

Race B - Dragon Trail Seaside/Gr.3/4 laps/Racing Mediums

Race C - La Sarthe (no chicane)/Gr.1/6 laps/Racing Softs and Racing Mediums (mandatory)/fuel consumption at 2x and tire wear at 9x
Ah, Gr.3 on Seaside. Nice. Not too long ago we had it but it is a really good combo.

Saw you in a few races, using my alt account today - got to about 500 points shy of A DR after some good results (staying out of trouble, as far as possible!).

Managed to get my main account to A yesterday - mix of A and C races. Same tactics at Tokyo, but I don't think I overtook anybody at Brands (not on the road anyway) - best result was an 18th to 6th.
Did quite a few races this afternoon and was going up and down around 24k so you have done rather well DR wise today to get towards an A rank.

Nope... nevermind. Never going to retire this account.

After this, I ran 4 races on the main account. Mostly same room, as was being matched in the top split and had very similar qualifying time.

Got punted, rubbed, doored, and race ruined, including 2 wins stolen from me, in 3 out of the 4 races. This after running the alt all week, and coming home without a scratch every time. @BenRod can attest.

And that's not counting the times morons who couldn't keep their Clio off the walls, even in the long 'straight' and messing up my race position. And how often when they do, it's your race that gets screwed, because you get blocked behind the idiot while people 200 feet behind can get around you both. In the top split. Jeez, people. If you can put in a top-100 QT, make sure you can also race within a tenth of it too, or stay offline.

So jumped back on the Alt, and of course: a win and second place (where I blew by the guy who punted me in the prior race, and left him for dead at the docks... he did apologize for the prior race mistake).

I'll keep the Alt, I guess. It just sucks, I can't figure out why that always happens, that as soon as I race on the main account, I'm getting ruined. Every. Time.
Might retire the Alt account I use for Dailies...

View attachment 1080956

View attachment 1080957

Never really thought I'd get to A+ rating.

Started racing on the Alt account (my son's PSN) to avoid messing up my main account's DR/SR... and here I am 10k above the main account, clean as a whistle, and wishing it was my main!

Broke the 50k mark with another good run on Race A... was thinking to myself "I don't really like leading this race, I'd rather be in 2nd, but ok..." when: my TV turned itself off again! I lost two positions and had to fight back after I hit 'option' (auto-drive) and scrambled to find the remote. Was able to get 2nd back but I lost out on the win to cap my achievement in more dramatic style, by 0.034 seconds... just a fender from the win. DAMMIT! @BenRod must have had even more trouble as he DNF'd (uncharacteristically) and I couldn't celebrate with him afterward. Loved seeing him behind me on the prior race, knowing I could trust him at the hairpin. 😀

Anyway, fun to have accomplished A+ rating... and seriously will think about sticking with my main account now, as I've been able to manage it better in recent months, without major setbacks on the Alt, but we'll see.

Last edited:
I did a few races at Tokyo early in the week, but did not enjoy them at all. You better believe I will be at Autopolis in the Group 4s though. Assuming that will be all FFs again.

I did a few races at Tokyo early in the week, but did not enjoy them at all. You better believe I will be at Autopolis in the Group 4s though. Assuming that will be all FFs again.
Yeah I’m thinking that Autopolis in FF Gr4 will suit me very well, thank you. I like the track and I’m pretty confident in FF cars. Saddle up!

Did some DR "B"s. I did 2 races with the 911 RSR and 1 race with the RCZ

1st race: Started 5th, finished 6th. I had a mis-shift going into a turn (went down 1 too many gears) and did a little drifting action. That allowed the cars directly in front of me to get away, and the car right behind me to pass. Meh, it was something I did and not caused by anyone else. I'm still getting used to using manual instead of automatic.

2nd race: DNF because apparently, the dog going out and the cat coming in is super, duper important and can't wait a few minutes until the race is over 🤬 So for the efforts, I get the loss of DR points.

3rd race: started 6th, finished 14th (but I got a Clean Race star 😐). I hit a guy (unintentional) at the chicane right after turn 1 and caused him to get passed by myself and a couple other cars. I slowed to let him pass me back. By doing that, I was passed by several others, and that dropped me down to 11th. But with some other cars ahead battling, I managed to get myself back up to 6th by the middle of lap 2. The guy I hit on lap 1, got spun around by someone else, that happened right in front of me. Later, at the final left-hander on that same lap, I was hit and knocked way off track, across the grass and into the wall, by a Viper. I got passed by everybody. I wound up in last (14th) and that's where I finished. I could've had a better finish as I was driving decently (minus the time I hit the other person at the chicane).

Well. I have enough work on Brands I think I can race this weekend. Unfortunately we said goodbye to our ailing cat and I need something to shift my thoughts.

Got my quali down to 15.3 and I'm keeping mid 16 to low 17 comfortable race pace until the tires fall off so I hope I'm competitive and maybe get a podium in my first GR2 race if my slot is high enough.

Did quite a few races this afternoon and was going up and down around 24k so you have done rather well DR wise today to get towards an A rank.
I normally hover around the 25k mark - been to A a couple of times before on my main, but don't usually stay there for more than a couple of races!

This week Race A was fantastic for me. Racing at the front with good and fast driver was a key element. It was close racing and clever racing in regard of how to use the draft at the right time. Good fun.

The couples of race where I ended up in the second half of the grid was a totally different experience. People hitting walls or trying to go side by side at impossible places. Sticking a bumper where he should have wait, compromising our speed compare to the others. Diving in but cannot keep a tight line pushing us wide while another car passes us both. And don't forget a few rammers whom don't like to be overtaken of course!

Looking foward to Group C at La Sarthe next week.

Cheers :gtpflag:

I did a couple "B"s, again. I did 1 in the RCZ (really fun car to drive) and 1 in the BMW. I started 5th and 6th, respectively. I finished 14th in the 1st one and 9th in the 2nd. I'm still getting the hang of manual, but I am getting better. Still, it doesn't help when you get knocked around a bit and have to try and recover without going off the track. No penalties in either race, but only 1 Clean Race award. I also did some practice on Dragon Trail - Seaside ahead of next week's DR "B" race.

I also noticed that in the 1st race, there were a lot of people who had low connection speeds (1-2 bars); and it showed. A lot of them were real glitchy. I tried to stay away from them so they wouldn't glitch and then suddenly be right in front of me. I've watched races before where that happened. And it never turned out well for the person who got caught up in it. I'm glad I have a really good connection and it doesn't happen to me.

Got punted, rubbed, doored, and race ruined, including 2 wins stolen from me, in 3 out of the 4 races. This after running the alt all week, and coming home without a scratch every time. @BenRod can attest.

So jumped back on the Alt, and of course: a win and second place (where I blew by the guy who punted me in the prior race, and left him for dead at the docks... he did apologize for the prior race mistake).

I'll keep the Alt, I guess. It just sucks, I can't figure out why that always happens, that as soon as I race on the main account, I'm getting ruined. Every. Time.
Sounds like my experiences in the game. My main would get beaten up. After I get frustrated & want revenge, I get on my R4M account & everyone drives like they have sense when I'm around. Have a few good races, irritability goes down, switch back to main & the cheddar heads are back out in force.

Race C has been good this week - very enjoyable! I've not won, but had a heap of 2nd and 3rd places and the DR has gone from 15k to 22k in the last 2 days. Tried the Alt account (also 22k) and had nothing but dirty players! Swerving, punting and flying off everywhere - still managed a small increase in DR but my Q-time there isn't so good so starting further back. 14th to 2nd without actually overtaking a single car is likely ok though. The Lexus seems more forgiving than some of the others.

Wish I was better at Brazil - I love the track but can just never make any progress there unless those ahead go off.

Recon: race C Gr 1/La Sarthe no chicane.

Strategy prediction: The strategy will be a no-stopper running 6 mediums as it looks like the regs allow no stopping. In a lobby RMs lasted six laps easily and the pit stop felt like 30 or 40 seconds. I swear the pit crew were scratching themselves while waiting for me. Looks like the softs will just be for qualifying.

The Nismo '92 is quick and appears to be the best choice.
  • fastest on the straight at 372 kph, next closest is LM55 at 362 kph. The 908 and Audi VGT were 350-ish.
  • my back-of-the-envelope calculation says a 10 kph delta is worth about 1.6 seconds (edit) on the straight!
  • brakes are decent, better than the LM55.
  • I immediately went faster than the LM55, my favored car, and I was using RM in the nismo and RS in the LM55.
  • second gear is powerful and it may be worthwhile skipping first gear and rolling the 90-degree righthanders.

Downsides:
  • just 5 gears.
  • gear changes are slow and clunky along with the other group C cars.
  • slow off the line at the start.

Other cars I tried:
  • Mazda LM55, don't know where I am losing time as it feels better than the Nismo but the lap times do not lie. Will continue to practice on the LM55.
  • Audi VGT. Feels good, slower than LM55. It is the only car that does not hit the rev limiter on the straight suggesting that it may have higher speeds in the draft.
  • 908 - it's top speed does not compare to the LM55 much less the Nismo
  • did not even try the regular Toyota and Audi hybrids.
  • did not try the other group C cars

The RMs, compared to the RS, showed their greatest weakness in the Porsche curves.

Would love to hear results of tests comparing other cars to the Nismo.

Edit1: 787B hits a top speed of 366 kph, just a bit slower than the Nismo.

Last edited:
I'd really like to get a clean race on Brands without someone bouncing off of me from the inside of T2 and T3.... I'm all for a good clean inside pass but really? And cleanly overtaking on the outside then getting nudged into the grass on exit... If someone beats me I take my lumps and move on..

Did a DR "B" in the M6. I started 3rd, was pushed over onto the grass on the 1st lap coming out of the chicane after turn 1. I was on the inside, this guy comes up on the outside, and just moves straight over into me, knocking me into the grass. I wound up down 2 positions (maybe 3, don't remember) coming out of that long left-hander and onto the straight. I was in a great position to draft, and easily stayed with the pack. I braked earlier than normal since my speed was definitely higher than normal. I wound up hitting the guy who'd pushed me into the grass, earlier, and knocking him off the track. It was completely unintentional, but I know it looked retaliatory. It wasn't, but I would be willing to bet he thought so. Either way, neither of us got a penalty.....so it is what it is. I wound up back in 3rd, then 2nd, after the ones in front did some battling and slowed themselves down going into the switchbacks. I got into 1st when the 1st place car ran wide and went ghost when he came back on the track. I stayed there for a little over a lap, until I made a mistake, ran a bit too wide, and was passed. I was doing good in 2nd, until that damn Mustang came up and easily passed me on the main straight. He got in perfect position to draft and there was nothing I could do. Well, I could've blocked him, but I'm not that kind of driver. I stayed with him as best I could as I was trying to get close enough to draft him and maybe pass him back for 2nd going into the last lap. But he stayed far enough ahead that I couldn't get there. So 3rd place it was.....or so I thought.

At the race finish screen, it was counting down until the results were finalized. It got to 3 seconds, and the Mustang just.....disappeared. That put me into 2nd place. I don't know what happened to him. Disconnected? Quit? Something else? No clue.

Shocked I got into a clean race starting P7. Held my pace with the pack. Slot 1 was way out. Had to keep slowing down to an erratic Acura in P3 after pit so I gave him a bit of space and applied pressure until he went wide. Started gaining on P2. As I got closer on lap 13 he started pushing too hard and spun. Coasted the last two laps for a P2 which officially makes me an A driver after 39 races. Pretty stoked about that being a rookie and all.
20210919_231316.jpg

Recon: race C Gr 1/La Sarthe no chicane.

Strategy prediction: The strategy will be a no-stopper running 6 mediums as it looks like the regs allow no stopping. In a lobby RMs lasted six laps easily and the pit stop felt like 30 or 40 seconds. I swear the pit crew were scratching themselves while waiting for me. Looks like the softs will just be for qualifying.

The Nismo '92 is quick and appears to be the best choice.
  • fastest on the straight at 372 kph, next closest is LM55 at 362 kph. The 908 and Audi VGT were 350-ish.
  • my back-of-the-envelope calculation says a 10 kph delta is worth about 1.6 seconds (edit) on the straight!
  • brakes are decent, better than the LM55.
  • I immediately went faster than the LM55, my favored car, and I was using RM in the nismo and RS in the LM55.
  • second gear is powerful and it may be worthwhile skipping first gear and rolling the 90-degree righthanders.

Downsides:
  • just 5 gears.
  • gear changes are slow and clunky along with the other group C cars.
  • slow off the line at the start.

Other cars I tried:
  • Mazda LM55, don't know where I am losing time as it feels better than the Nismo but the lap times do not lie. Will continue to practice on the LM55.
  • Audi VGT. Feels good, slower than LM55. It is the only car that does not hit the rev limiter on the straight suggesting that it may have higher speeds in the draft.
  • 908 - it's top speed does not compare to the LM55 much less the Nismo
  • did not even try the regular Toyota and Audi hybrids.
  • did not try the other group C cars

The RMs, compared to the RS, showed their greatest weakness in the Porsche curves.

Would love to hear results of tests comparing other cars to the Nismo.

Edit1: 787B hits a top speed of 366 kph, just a bit slower than the Nismo.
You have to use both softs and mediums as far as I can tell.
The 787 is just a tad slower unassisted than the Nissan but in a slip it's as fast. And it's better at braking and steering.
It will kill your ears though.

You have to use both softs and mediums as far as I can tell.
The 787 is just a tad slower unassisted than the Nissan but in a slip it's as fast. And it's better at braking and steering.
It will kill your ears though.
I admit that it is hard to tell what the regulations will be until they are posted in the game. I was able to do 5 laps on soft but I could not really feel much of a difference outside of the Porsche curves. I might be willing to run longer on the mediums as they will be better than softs that are four laps old.

Back