Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,115 comments
Been feeling worse lately. Like everything is a losing battle and I'm always the one in the wrong. From having terrible apartment neighbors, to customers at work who are nasty, to people on the road being way too aggressive, to co-workers not caring and leaving an "annoying" burden on my shoulders. Just getting tired of everything and I just want to get away from it all, but I know it's difficult with the travel restrictions and taking just a week's vacation won't solve anything upon returning....

My upstairs neighbor has been terrible with noise and I've politely asked three times to lessen the disruptions. Banging the ground (my ceiling), stomping around loudly with shoes on, blasting the TV, and with his first summer here, a deafening A/C unit that vibrates my entire apartment. I snapped one day and started banging the ceiling and yelling. Of course, after my attempts to tell the landlord, HE complains and I get the text from the landlord about my actions. Feels like every time I have complained it's just been "that sucks to be you," and that's all I get. Whilst the upstairs neighbor happily lives their life. I've had to buy earplugs, a white noise maker, move my TV out of my own living room due to his, and have a very loud fan running at night to try to sleep. BUT I'M THE ONE IN THE WRONG. Of course, everyone keeps telling me "just move," but with times like these, I feel like it's harder said than done. There's more factors for me not really being able to easily move than just cost or location. Feels like anytime I have to complain about anything, I end up being the one in the wrong.

At work, I don't actually deal with that many nasty customers. But one recent one hit me harder than it should. I work in the sales department of a BMW dealership and our service department is completely closed on Saturdays, but some service customers come in on Saturday to pick up their cars. This past Saturday a woman came in to pick up her X3. After I showed her where her car was, she was disgusted by the fact that no one had washed her car, despite me telling her that our service department had a new policy of not cleaning customer cars due to the pandemic. However she took that as an excuse and was pretty upset. To make things worse, not long after she left and I returned to my desk, she comes back specifically to where my desk is to complain that her tire pressure warning message was showing. I said I'd take care of it and she said "you better!" Found out it was just the car telling her to check the tire monitor and not to reset her tire pressure. Just her whole demeanor was bad and somehow left me feeling worse, not wanting to interact with any more people. The rest of the day I pretty much shut down.

Another work related thing is how little my co-workers care about the pandemic it seems. Every hour we are supposed to wipe down the door handles with disinfectant to keep everyone safe. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was normally the one wiping everything down, but slowly everyone else in the sales department helped out. However, for the past 5 WEEKS, no one gave a crap and stopped helping. I've been doing it myself since then and I'm being driven mad, being the only one who seems to care about cleaning high contact areas. I feel petty for complaining, but taking on the responsibility alone has been tiring and I've been losing motivation to even show up to work. I've tried bringing it up to my co-workers and managers, but no one seems to care anymore. Heck, I'm pretty much the only person in the entire building wearing a mask.

I apologize if this all seems like stupid, petty complaints more than something to do with depression and anxiety. It's about 5AM and I'm struggling to sleep. Feeling the need to get some stuff off my chest as I feel like I'm driving myself mad. It's just that lately I feel like shutting down, hiding away from everyone, and giving up on several things, if not all. (Been rather unhappy with my photography lately too)

Don't really know where else to talk....

Been feeling worse lately. Like everything is a losing battle and I'm always the one in the wrong. From having terrible apartment neighbors, to customers at work who are nasty, to people on the road being way too aggressive, to co-workers not caring and leaving an "annoying" burden on my shoulders. Just getting tired of everything and I just want to get away from it all, but I know it's difficult with the travel restrictions and taking just a week's vacation won't solve anything upon returning....

My upstairs neighbor has been terrible with noise and I've politely asked three times to lessen the disruptions. Banging the ground (my ceiling), stomping around loudly with shoes on, blasting the TV, and with his first summer here, a deafening A/C unit that vibrates my entire apartment. I snapped one day and started banging the ceiling and yelling. Of course, after my attempts to tell the landlord, HE complains and I get the text from the landlord about my actions. Feels like every time I have complained it's just been "that sucks to be you," and that's all I get. Whilst the upstairs neighbor happily lives their life. I've had to buy earplugs, a white noise maker, move my TV out of my own living room due to his, and have a very loud fan running at night to try to sleep. BUT I'M THE ONE IN THE WRONG. Of course, everyone keeps telling me "just move," but with times like these, I feel like it's harder said than done. There's more factors for me not really being able to easily move than just cost or location. Feels like anytime I have to complain about anything, I end up being the one in the wrong.

At work, I don't actually deal with that many nasty customers. But one recent one hit me harder than it should. I work in the sales department of a BMW dealership and our service department is completely closed on Saturdays, but some service customers come in on Saturday to pick up their cars. This past Saturday a woman came in to pick up her X3. After I showed her where her car was, she was disgusted by the fact that no one had washed her car, despite me telling her that our service department had a new policy of not cleaning customer cars due to the pandemic. However she took that as an excuse and was pretty upset. To make things worse, not long after she left and I returned to my desk, she comes back specifically to where my desk is to complain that her tire pressure warning message was showing. I said I'd take care of it and she said "you better!" Found out it was just the car telling her to check the tire monitor and not to reset her tire pressure. Just her whole demeanor was bad and somehow left me feeling worse, not wanting to interact with any more people. The rest of the day I pretty much shut down.

Another work related thing is how little my co-workers care about the pandemic it seems. Every hour we are supposed to wipe down the door handles with disinfectant to keep everyone safe. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was normally the one wiping everything down, but slowly everyone else in the sales department helped out. However, for the past 5 WEEKS, no one gave a crap and stopped helping. I've been doing it myself since then and I'm being driven mad, being the only one who seems to care about cleaning high contact areas. I feel petty for complaining, but taking on the responsibility alone has been tiring and I've been losing motivation to even show up to work. I've tried bringing it up to my co-workers and managers, but no one seems to care anymore. Heck, I'm pretty much the only person in the entire building wearing a mask.

I apologize if this all seems like stupid, petty complaints more than something to do with depression and anxiety. It's about 5AM and I'm struggling to sleep. Feeling the need to get some stuff off my chest as I feel like I'm driving myself mad. It's just that lately I feel like shutting down, hiding away from everyone, and giving up on several things, if not all. (Been rather unhappy with my photography lately too)

It's so sad that nowadays in "cosmopolitan" area, people can't and forget or don't know to treat others fellow citizens in decent manner, lacking patience or understanding towards each other.

Just continue to be kind, you should be feeling good about yourself for doing the right thing, despite enduring all the bad stuff...

There is no need to despair.
Rejoice in knowing that you are doing the right thing always.

Cheer up buddy, I am with you in spirit !

Smile while you take those punches, people will be surprised by it, and they will know they are in the wrong without you even having to say anything.

;)

Last edited:
Reading back at posts I made a few months ago, I feel a lot better. I’ve gained some weight, but I’m starting to lose it. For once I have the energy to get up in the morning and jog a mile frequently enough to make it a habit.

I really want to get myself back to old form. Old form is one of 4 years ago. I was much happier, and I think I realize why I was so happy. My life was simple, no obligations to people, I just did my own thing, I was also fit ;p

So, I have managed to, once again, settle with the fact that I don’t have to have 50 different friends to be happy.

Such a burden lifted off of me.

Better to air it out than to let it fester. I’ve been there, though, feeling as if you can’t reach anyone that wouldn’t mind you venting for a moment.

That’s why I suggest everyone to have a confidant in their life, just one person that you can trust and be understanding of what is going on in your life, and theirs as well. It’s very therapeutic.

I feel like you might be burned out with work and the current living situation. Those two things are hard to change right away.

Car dealerships seem like a tough place to work at. I interviewed for a couple, and it seemed like they just had to bend over for all customers just to meet sales quotas. Knowing that, it would make it hard for you to cut back on extra ‘favors’ in the workplace because they may dock your performance.

I’ve had ****** roommates and ****** tenants that made too much noise, but it was never reported. All I can really suggest is earplugs, and a box of chamomile teas to make sleeping easier.

All I come to say is that my life has been literal hell for 4 months and it is still going on. People think a lot of words every day but not as much as I think about suïcide. So, I have decided to come here and get my mind of what I'm going through. Maybe it will help.

All I come to say is that my life has been literal hell for 4 months and it is still going on. People think a lot of words every day but not as much as I think about suïcide. So, I have decided to come here and get my mind of what I'm going through. Maybe it will help.
Have you had thoughts of suicide like this before and if so how did you get away from it?

@kikie Good to see you back. I'm sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you... clearly it has been a concerning and difficult time for everyone, but it is particularly difficult for people who already have a history of depression and/or anxiety, so I hope you can find some comfort in speaking with some old friends.

Some of my friends that I work with and normally meet for drinks in Glasgow are finding it really tough at the moment, even though they have never suffered from a serious mental health issue in their lives - it is also perhaps harder to find the right support at this difficult time, but as I'm sure you already know, health professionals are still available to help, even though face-to-face contact with people is obviously limited for the time being.

-

@MedigoFlame My sympathies... I've had neighbours like that before too, and it sucks. I also snapped one night and did the same as you, only for the police to arrive at my door. At least they were understanding though, and believed me when I told them that it was my neighbours who were being unreasonable... and yet nothing was resolved. I ended up moving out, but I've been lucky with my neighbours in recent years. That said, even good neighbours can be annoying even though they don't realise it - but there are inconsiderate *******s everywhere unfortunately. I used music and white noise to help me sleep (which worked) and moved bedrooms, which also helped.

As for the feeling that you are always the one in the wrong, at least you can rest assured that you are not and that it is (unfortunately) quite a common side-effect of modern life.

I am actually not particularly looking forward to the end of lockdown as I've been staying at my Mum's house, and I've had the best sleep of my adult life. Living downtown in a cool area with loads of bars, shops and close to work is more fun than living in the leafy suburbs, but I can definitely see the appeal of having more tranquility, and fewer ******* neighbours.

Have you had thoughts of suicide like this before and if so how did you get away from it?
I have had suïcide thoughts as long as I can remember (during those 6 depressions). You can get rid of these thoughts, it is part of depression. A guy who makes my pills told a few days ago that my medication is the cause of suïcide thoughts. It's not only the pills though. I never told anyone but at the beginning of this year a was medication free. Seems that I'm not anymore.

There is a technique that I use to get rid of the suïcide thoughts at that moment. This works with every bad thought even if you're a happy guy/girl completely depression free.

Close your eyes and try to find the suIcide thought and give it a form. Now tell to this materialised suïcide thought very firmly, GO-AWAY. I DON'T NEED YOU! Talk to it as a third person, that the thought became a person you want away.
Then wave it away wherever you want it to disappear. You can let burn when it is far away.

These won't keep bad thoughts aways for good because as long you're in a severe depression these thoughts keep coming.

Last edited:
I have been feeling like the lowest lifeform there is and not being worth even that. Me goes in a depression because I worried for my father, no other reason and everyone else can cope with it. What kind of low-life super weak excuse of a human being am I actually? It still bothers a lot. Everyone that I see, speak are all okay as of nothing has happened. They can go about their lives and all I can do is literary lay on the sofa and feel the complete torture like mental pain that I feel every second for hours every day. Other people get tranquillizers which take away that depressing feeling in your body. Well we tried 3 (Temesta, Zyprexa, Quetiapine and non of the pills can calm me down (I react completely differently to these pills making them useless) or take away that torturing mental depression feeling in your body. When I'm laying down, I can't stop my body/limbs to makes the involuntary movements. Oh, as a grown-up boy, I think that I cried to bathtubs filled the top already.

The worst part of it all is when I HAVE to go to bed. Every evening I go to bed knowing that when I wake up the next morning, I immediately start feeling de devastating, tortures feeling starts all over again for hours. I don't want to fall asleep anymore (or even much much better, never wake up again ever).

@kikie Good to see you back. I'm sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you... clearly it has been a concerning and difficult time for everyone, but it is particularly difficult for people who already have a history of depression and/or anxiety, so I hope you can find some comfort in speaking with some old friends.
Thanks, @Touring Mars I hope it will work.

Last edited:
I have been feeling like the lowest lifeform there is and not being worth even that. Me goes in a depression because I worried for my father, no other reason and everyone else can cope with it. What kind of low-life super weak excuse of a human being am I actually? It still bothers a lot. Everyone that I see, speak are all okay as of nothing has happened. They can go about their lives and all I can do is literary lay on the sofa and feel the complete torture like mental pain that I feel every second for hours every day. Other people get tranquillizers which take away that depressing feeling in your body. Well we tried 3 (Temesta, Zyprexa, Quetiapine and non of the pills can calm me down (I react completely differently to these pills making them useless) or take away that torturing mental depression feeling in your body. When I'm laying down, I can't stop my body/limbs to makes the involuntary movements. Oh, as a grown-up boy, I think that I cried to bathtubs filled the top already.

The worst part of it all is when I HAVE to go to bed. Every evening I go to bed knowing that when I wake up the next morning, I immediately start feeling de devastating, tortures feeling starts all over again for hours. I don't want to fall asleep anymore (or even much much better, never wake up again ever).

Thanks, @Touring Mars I hope it will work.
Has your doctor ever suggested electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)?

I have been feeling like the lowest lifeform there is and not being worth even that. Me goes in a depression because I worried for my father, no other reason and everyone else can cope with it. What kind of low-life super weak excuse of a human being am I actually? It still bothers a lot. Everyone that I see, speak are all okay as of nothing has happened. They can go about their lives and all I can do is literary lay on the sofa and feel the complete torture like mental pain that I feel every second for hours every day.

Do you know how you cope with death?

edit: My sister suffers extremely with co-morbid depression. There's a degree to which it's compassionate, but hers goes way beyond, to the point it ruins her own life. It's why she's a vegan, it's why she gave me £28,000.. she takes onboard the responsibility for other lives and it clearly affects her own. I asked the question about death because I'm curious as to whether part of it is being able to accept the inevitable or not - I don't wish to be insensitive - I'm just curious if there are parallels or not.

Last edited:
Do you know how you cope with death?
very badly is I understand your question correctly. I fear death.

Even in both ways.:
  1. Meaning that death is dead and there is nothing anymore. Over and out.
  2. The second which uses some sort of strange belief that there is indeed life after death. Not the biblical way but more a natural (if you can call you that) cosmic way. Beings, literally being what we call souls occupies the body and when the body dies this entity goes to another dimension where it lives further. We can't breach the whatever between this dimension with planet earth but they can. That's how they get their entities back to their dimension (so called heaven).
Even is 2 is true, I must have been there multiple times but when we are born, we forget, I'm still full of fear of it. How does it work, what will happen, what kind of world and life will it be.

Years ago when my aunt died in the hospital she had a friend with her visiting. At a certain point my ant said or shouted, it's time, they are coming for me, to get me And then she died.

Another one is about my Indien friend who was on his deathbed. His wife told me afterwards that right before the moment of death I believe, he was waving his hands vigorously. The wifes said, it was like he was keeping something away. Something that came for him!? Of course he died.

very badly is I understand your question correctly. I fear death.

Even in both ways.:
  1. Meaning that death is dead and there is nothing anymore. Over and out.
  2. The second which uses some sort of strange belief that there is indeed life after death. Not the biblical way but more a natural (if you can call you that) cosmic way. Beings, literally being what we call souls occupies the body and when the body dies this entity goes to another dimension where it lives further. We can't breach the whatever between this dimension with planet earth but they can. That's how they get their entities back to their dimension (so called heaven).
Even is 2 is true, I must have been there multiple times but when we are born, we forget, I'm still full of fear of it. How does it work, what will happen, what kind of world and life will it be.

Years ago when my aunt died in the hospital she had a friend with her visiting. At a certain point my ant said or shouted, it's time, they are coming for me, to get me And then she died.

Another one is about my Indien friend who was on his deathbed. His wife told me afterwards that right before the moment of death I believe, he was waving his hands vigorously. The wifes said, it was like he was keeping something away. Something that came for him!? Of course he died.

I'm sure there's a bigger conversation to be had around what it must be like moments before your death (given the imminent failure of the brain and therefore anyones ability to act rationally at that point), but... why, if you fear death, do you contemplate suicide? For what we KNOW, life lasts for years, dying is but a moment, and death lasts forever. Life is what we should be obsessed with, not death. Life is the ONLY state we actually know.

Again, I'm not being critical, so sorry if I sound curt, I think about suicide on a weekly basis (normally Sundays.. Cheers), but it's just not the answer, and I cannot see why it would be your answer. You have to learn to accept that which you cannot change.

<bro hug>

I'm sure there's a bigger conversation to be had around what it must be like moments before your death (given the imminent failure of the brain and therefore anyones ability to act rationally at that point), but... why, if you fear death, do you contemplate suicide? For what we KNOW, life lasts for years, dying is but a moment, and death lasts forever. Life is what we should be obsessed with, not death. Life is the ONLY state we actually know.

Again, I'm not being critical, so sorry if I sound curt, I think about suicide on a weekly basis (normally Sundays.. Cheers), but it's just not the answer, and I cannot see why it would be your answer.
You have to learn to accept that which you cannot change.
Indeed and I only got this recently, I mean we are not in control and have to accept what is happening and .... uh .... accept it.

<bro hug>
I'm not contemplating suïcide at all (maybe sometimes I do) These thoughts pop in my head when I feel the worst. It's like the force themselves onto me, to force me to do ... this. And the pill makers said that it is also a side effect of the meds I'm taking, certainly at this very high dosage.

Death please come and get me, now, this is unbearable. I'm so sick and tired of this messed up life. I had a very good life until the age of 14 and then everything fell to pieces mentally. Not at once, it became worse and worse over the years until I snapped. Nothing but downwards from there with good happy moments en short happy times.
Some people you can throw whatever at them and still they will laugh and not get depression. So is the boss of my local grocery store. He is still laughing, life is still the same for him and he told me yesterday that he probably will never have a depression.

I have to go for now because I can't take it what I'm feeling right now.

I have to go for now because I can't take it what I'm feeling right now.
If you can, ask for leave from work so that you can take some pressure off and focus on yourself.

Don’t listen to people who say that they don’t experience depression, it’s one of the most common mental illnesses and it takes its forms in hundreds of different behavioral traits.

Even then, it seems like your boss is projecting. I’ve met people like them and they’re usually insensitive and constantly yelling how much they love life to others. It’s lame.

I started falling apart at 14, but I’ve always been a headstrong person, and despite that, I still have heavy bouts of depression and anxiety that come over me. I was pretty much abused when I was young and witnessed all sorts of violent crimes. I did awful in school because I didn’t have anyone to talk to about what I saw and how it made me feel.

What I’m suggesting is that it isn’t too late for you, no matter how much you feel it is.

And FYI, I won’t forget about you inviting to help me in Belgium. I said no because of my anxiety, which I had issues with out there. Turns out I could have used your help at one point.

It’s amazing what our minds do.

Last edited:
Problem is that I'm left in the dark. No help whatsoever. First of all they all (doctors) started way too late to help me. When they started to help, a snail would be faster.
Because of the virus, my personal doctor's practice and his job is a lot of different now and I can barely get a hold of him. Psychiatrist? Well I don't have one. There aren't any available. I believe it all got to with so many people getting depressions, anxiety .... So I don't have one so far.

This evening I had and still have a bad experience. I was feeling rather good, not depression free but still rather good and was playing some Solitair. I decided to stop and lay down on the couch and fell asleep. When I woke up I started to feel completely depressed again.

I can tell you that I'm genuinely afraid. Let's say that I haven't had any future vision of myself in months. I'm even afraid to tell you why I'm afraid because you never know it comes through.

Problem is that I'm left in the dark. No help whatsoever. First of all they all (doctors) started way too late to help me. When they started to help, a snail would be faster.
Because of the virus, my personal doctor's practice and his job is a lot of different now and I can barely get a hold of him. Psychiatrist? Well I don't have one. There aren't any available. I believe it all got to with so many people getting depressions, anxiety .... So I don't have one so far.

This evening I had and still have a bad experience. I was feeling rather good, not depression free but still rather good and was playing some Solitair. I decided to stop and lay down on the couch and fell asleep. When I woke up I started to feel completely depressed again.

I can tell you that I'm genuinely afraid. Let's say that I haven't had any future vision of myself in months. I'm even afraid to tell you why I'm afraid because you never know it comes through.
I don't know how it works in Belgium but is it not possible to get an emergency appointment with your practice (which doesn't mean you'll necessarily be seen by your doctor)? Maybe then they can refer you under a quicker method to psych services who could then review meds/consider other options?

I don't know how it works in Belgium but is it not possible to get an emergency appointment with your practice (which doesn't mean you'll necessarily be seen by your doctor)? Maybe then they can refer you under a quicker method to psych services who could then review meds/consider other options?
Nope, Corona made that impossible. That is why I can't find a psychiatrist and am all alone with my problems.

Every single time I fall asleep when I wake up and much more depressed. I just woke up from my couch because I still can't watch television without stress levels going up. On a few occasions though, I was able to see some series.

Every single time I fall asleep when I wake up and much more depressed. I just woke up from my couch because I still can't watch television without stress levels going up. On a few occasions though, I was able to see some series.

The other day we found out our neighbour listed their house at over $1M (CAD if that helps). I earn a lower-middle class income and it's clear as mud that unless I put in the effort to increase my income (which I haven't done ever since I started this job 3 years ago), the day my parents retire (which is coming up in about a year's time), a very broke/frugal lifestyle (which I don't want) will become my reality. Housing costs in my area is largely everyone's financial strain. Because I don't have the drive to study up and climb the ladder in my industry (keeping it short and sweet: I'm lazy, and the prospects of having larger responsibilities doesn't excite me), the thought of not having adequate money to live a life with some degree of financial freedom (in about a year's time) has me bothered to put it lightly.

I've always coped with this by continuing to not think about it. This along with not being more diligent in better taking care of myself (like I rambled on about earlier in this thread) has lead me to feelings of inadequacy, that I am not taking sufficient action to take care of myself and securing (or building) the future I want. I rationalize that once I'm not worrying about whether I'm doing enough to take care of my body and income (aka be a more responsible and independent grown up), I won't have these broody moments any longer.

Is this relatable to your situation?

Been feeling worse lately. *story time snipped*

Have I ever told you I relate to you and how you perceive situations very similarly?

I've grown up very pampered by my family. I've rarely had to think for myself. Up until this day, many decisions in my life have had someone (not solely by my mother) either completely take care of it or bear most the responsibility: what school I went to, how to apply for University, how to open a bank account, what career I should aim for, what I should do for the rest of my life (to be fair, I'm trying to take more control of this), doing my taxes, negotiating the price of my first car, making dentist appointments, and so on.

To me, not having to think for myself means that when it comes time where there's no one around to help, I don't know what to do. I only know to do what someone tells me to do. I don't know how to be on my own; so all I'll know to do instinctively is to behave like I'm told to, and everything will continue to be okay. That being said, I have made mistakes in the past and in fear of making more in the future, this just leads to indecision and it kills my self-esteem like I don't know better. This mindset weakens how I value myself and it has an effect on my social power.

So whenever there's conflict, it doesn't take the other party much effort to win over the argument (even if I know I'm not (entirely) in the wrong) and have their position/will influence mine. Whenever someone spreads negativity onto me, I take it really personally, even if I'm not at fault or even if we at the end of the day don't have the obligation to care. I feel it's unfair that while I can keep my mouth shut for little things, I have to put up with someone else who complains about similar things. Whenever someone says I did something wrong or blames me, I'm more inclined to take 100% of whatever they say and not retort (in fear of saying something wrong), or if I do retort, it's an argument I can't win because they're louder (which also boils my blood). And it doesn't help the only way I habitually argue is to question them with their logic, which depending on the person is too civilized (if the person wins by loudness) or too disrespectful (when in a customer service role).

Here's another example: "I don't ask you for favours so why do you keep asking me of ALL people?" is what I keep thinking to myself when one coworker calls. I get that he has commitments, a family to take care of, and a "life" to live, whereas I don't have a family to raise and often spend my time non-productively, so between him and I, if anyone could take care of this favour, it would be me, since I have a bit more spare time. Logically this makes sense. I do him this favour. It's no big deal. I did have the time I could spend to help. However, this got to a point where I became the go-to person in his head for any favours he needed because he has his hands full taking care of a kid and whatever daily responsibilities a grown up has that I apparently don't. I've come to realize he doesn't recognize that he was actually disrespectful and he doesn't value what my time means to me. I know he wouldn't ask his boss for these kinds of favours so that should be saying something.

"He's got nothing to do anyway, and my hands are full. I'll get him to do it to make better use of my time" is how it comes off to me. Who is he to assume I'm always spending my time playing video games? I just happened to be doing that at the time of calling. The fact that I was accepting these small favours had begun to diminish the level of respect he had for me (I became his yes-man). Recently I got off work late (and he knew that), and at about 10pm, he had asked me if I would be willing come to the office to help him hold a flashlight in a crammed space to assist him in doing some cabling work. He had the audacity to ask with the thought I may actually just say yes to that.

Where am I going with all this? I learned some time ago I have low self-worth. People step all over me easily and talk me into doing their bidding because of my weak-will and poor approach on standing up for myself. When I read what you wrote and how you wrote it, I can feel how defensive you're getting. I've been doing customer service work for almost 10 years now, and am still learning to deal with the toxicity of online players in Rocket League.

Right off the bat, the biggest thing I must say is that you must not take full responsibility of "the blame" when someone else is unhappy when you were not the direct cause of it. People who are naturally blamers will kill people like us from the inside out if you continue to let them have their way.

If your next door neighbour lived in the unit you lived in, you wouldn't think that noisy upstairs neighbour's actions were any more just than they were on you. I'm glad you talked to him first to attempt to address it, but if he doesn't comply, have you spoken with the landlord? You've written that he has, but you haven't mentioned that you have though. I know this sounds like I'm blaming you, but on the flip side, there's nothing standing in your way to also do the same as he did. You have every right to file a complaint as well, and if the landlord did indeed dismiss your complaint, then the landlord didn't give you the respect he gave to your noisy neighbour. He didn't value your presence (or isn't afraid of you). Why should you adapt to their will when you can have a will of your own? Moving is always one option, but if it's not easily obtainable, then this isn't an option yet. This is your opportunity to make your voice heard by the landlord though! Of course, this is not the time to come off as a whiny tenant. A whiny tenant has little power over a landlord who isn't scared of you. If you know who they fear and are able to get in touch with them, that will boost your confidence with your interaction with them. There must be something you will be able to do to get that neighbour to respect your space, and not knowing is what will make you feel powerless (that self-esteem thing again).

About that lady who screamed in your face, try not to take those interactions as if you messed up at your job. First off, you serve a role at the company (which I doubt you're completely loyal to if my understanding of your personality isn't too far off the mark). I've been a cashier and am doing help desk tech support. If a customer is unhappy, they just want to blurt it all out at someone and push their problems onto them (in this case, incompetency in knowing how to operate their own vehicle). It didn't have to be you. It was supposed to be someone in the Service department, and two; it could've been ANY other coworker of yours. You just happened to be there at that time. So the world isn't out to get you. Just remember that she was upset and naturally people will shout (at someone/something). You didn't do anything wrong (and obviously didn't deserve it; so not to be taken to heart).

My lack of social skills disallows me from dishing out any cookie-cutter sympathy customer service lines :lol:, so all their complaints are met with an absence of an animated expression and a "oh damnnnnn- that's not goooood" (my acting always fools 'em), and all I'm looking to do is to identify the underlying issue through all the whiny words used. I don't do well with bad apples, so my method of dealing with it is to cleanly and efficiently reach the end of the interaction. Being too transparent about your end of the interaction is giving away all the power you have in your role. That applies for me more than it does to you since you're not in service, but again: you did what you could. If you didn't know why the service dept didn't wash her car (or if you didn't know if was a thing), then you legitimately didn't know. That's not your fault the car wasn't washed and makes no sense for you to take the blame for that.
But since you did know why the car wasn't washed, you did a great job informing her of the reason why. If she doesn't accept it, that's not your fault. You did what you could in your role serving for the company. The company had a policy put in place, you followed it, and informed its customers of it. It wasn't your responsibility to wash the car, it's not in your job description so you weren't expected to clean it, so it's not your problem, and any complaints made are not for you to be accountable for.... so there's nothing to take personally when that lady wasn't happy to hear what you explained. You don't have to make her care. You didn't do anything wrong here.

Re: Tire pressure warning: Again, she's familiar with you already, so naturally this is the easiest course to take from her POV. Annoying at best, but while you unfortunately didn't have a supervisor/manager around to step in to help, if you didn't push back in anyway, she has won control over you. In that position where a customer comes to you to complain about an issue, you can try saying something like "While I'm not as well-trained as the technicians, I can take a look." At least this way, in the event you don't actually know the fix to the issue, you can then push it onto the techs to look at (you know, taking a name, number and providing the info to the techs later). To the customer, this makes it look like you went the extra mile to help someone outside of your role, and that you provided a resolution that it would be looked at. To me, saying "I'll take care of it" assumes it's in your list of responsibilities to deal with technical issues, even though you're in Sales (doesn't matter if you know enough about cars to actually take care of it), because "You better!" sounds like affirmation that you have accepted this task like it was your job.

In my role, we get pulled in a million directions on getting things fixed, even outside the scope of my role and I've had to learn to draw the line with customers I support. Firmly stating it's not something I can handle (or am supposed to handle), while assuring the customer that they will be looked after (by someone). In times like these, it does help to talk to someone about it, as I realize I'm not the only one who gets crap like this. My colleagues and my boss do too. Unsure if you have coworkers you can share these moments with too, but you're welcome to vent a bit with me over Facebook if you like. Sometimes it helps to take these situations and put a funny spin on it. That helps me redirect my attention away from frustration, and sometimes I'll be over the whole thing right after.

Again, you're more than welcome to reach out to me via Facebook to chat about any of this. If I wasn't completely off-base about the self-esteem thing, I have some resources I can share with you that you may find helpful.

Better to air it out than to let it fester.

Can't agree more. I've spoken less about my problems for fear of coming off as weak and hopelessly dependent. But I'm slowly accepting that it's just going to make things harder on myself, you have only one life, and other people ask for help too, so no sense in putting ridiculous standards on myself. My family doctor is probably tired of me calling for the 6th time about something as minor as nasal congestion, but I said screw it; it's their job to help.

Last edited:
One of the worst day during this depression. All day long from one anxiety attack into another and it still not over.

Today I had to get bottled water for my father but the fear, anxiety, pure terror that I felt prevented me from getting water. But it had to be here at home today. It was one of my anxieties for the last week or so.

Well around 5 pm I did it. I got in my car, drove towards the depot see how far I could get and came home with water for my father. Small victory because I feel really bad right now but I fell asleep right after I came home from getting the water. When I fall asleep during a depression I always wake up more depressed.

When I was driving home, I suddenly felt a small part of me, the depression/anxiety version surfaced.

Last edited:
I got new extra meds, something I previously was never given. Took these 4 days and now I'm in a severe depression all day long without any relief, unless I fall asleep.
It is even hard just to type this sentence. I did discover about one hour ago when I go lay down on my belly, the pressure makes the feelings of the depression a little bit more bearable.

Thanks for PM's but I can't read them all now because I still to do online payments.

I got new extra meds, something I previously was never given. Took these 4 days and now I'm in a severe depression all day long without any relief, unless I fall asleep.
It is even hard just to type this sentence. I did discover about one hour ago when I go lay down on my belly, the pressure makes the feelings of the depression a little bit more bearable.

Thanks for PM's but I can't read them all now because I still to do online payments.

Ditch the meds if they aren’t working for you.

Go for a bike ride, run or even just walk if you can. It’s easy to make excuses not to, but I’m sure you’ll feel better after getting some fresh air and the blood pumping around your body.

I don’t know how bad your condition is but, as a last resort, have you considered micro-dosing?

Ditch the meds if they aren’t working for you.

Go for a bike ride, run or even just walk if you can. It’s easy to make excuses not to, but I’m sure you’ll feel better after getting some fresh air and the blood pumping around your body.

I don’t know how bad your condition is but, as a last resort, have you considered micro-dosing?
I have stopped taking those bad meds. That is what I do from time to time, go for a bike run. Don't forget mine is a 33 y.o. Flying Dutchman, no jumping or whatever is allowed

My condition is honestly very, x1000. Doctors and other medical personnel that I talk to, they all say a very severe depression.
This micro Of what?

Don't forget that I have all worries of a father, invalide, somewhat older as well. Even in very bad conditions, I have to do the groceries and stuff. If I able, I'm the one that has to make lunch etc.

I'm doing the irresponsible thing and traveling on 4th of July (in the US, obviously). I just need to get away from where I'm at, so I thought the best thing to do is go back to California and revisit an old hiking spot of mine. I would like to camp on the beach, but I have no tent currently.

My birthday is around the corner, and I feel like something really needs to change. I've much better at handling things and situations, but there's that feeling that I'm not doing the 100% best approach, and that there's problems that I need to tackle in different ways.

I also want to shed some of my old hobbies and go into something else, whether it be singing, painting or playing a musical instrument.

Above all, I just need to be on my own and away from my family. The majority of my personal growth has been made on my own, with the advice of a therapist/psychiatrist, something I really need now, too.

Well, a change of scenery can be all that is needed to help you feel better. Good luck to you in any sort of life direction you go next, phillkillv2.

I've been hearing a lot about anxiety recently, and recently learned an interesting way to counteract an anxiety/panic attack: splashing cold water on your face, or dunking your face into icy water.

Apparently, it helps reset the fight-or-flight response that your body is stuck in during an attack. Having water on your face or putting your face underwater also triggers its trigeminal nerves, which helps lower your heart rate. You can read more about the science on this here.

Just wanted to share that in case it could help someone here. 👍

I've been hearing a lot about anxiety recently, and recently learned an interesting way to counteract an anxiety/panic attack: splashing cold water on your face, or dunking your face into icy water.

Apparently, it helps reset the fight-or-flight response that your body is stuck in during an attack. Having water on your face or putting your face underwater also triggers its trigeminal nerves, which helps lower your heart rate. You can read more about the science on this here.

Just wanted to share that in case it could help someone here. 👍
I found this out when I was young, and any time I've had an issue this has always helped to some degree. In fact, it's my first response actually. I've never clinically been diagnosed with anxiety, but I am positive I have it, so I ended up finding things that worked on my own through just experiencing it.

Small things like just going outside to get fresh air if you're having an episode inside of a building has helped me out, or standing up and going for a little walk has helped out as well. Deep slower inhales through my nose have also helped me.

Back