Disney+ MCU

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 451 comments
I agree. Ethan Hawke is portraying this character very well.

Brings a whole new meaning(or maybe correct? meaning) to "glass slippers".

He played that stinkin' pantheon like a harp from hell.

Last edited:
After a hectic Easter weekend, I finally found the time to watch the third Moon Knight episode, and well...

It kinda frustrated me.

First of all, I found the pantheon so... dumb? I guess that's the simplest description I can think of. Supposed to be gods, but acting more like clueless idiots... Urgh. Two, was that a third personality that neither Mark and Stephen are aware of? I can't believe that it was brushed aside that quickly. Was the show trying to say Khonshu had taken over the body or something? Third, and this bit frustrated me the most, was when Mark and Layla went to visit some shirtless dude with the sarcophagus. Why did it feel like a whole bunch of dialogue was left behind on the editing room floor? The flow of events made little sense to me and the whole setpiece right afterwards seems... only there to tick the check list for having 'cool CGI action' in the episode.

However, the rewinding the night sky bit was ****ing epic. I almost squealed in excitement watching that.

Edit:

After giving some admittedly brief thoughts to why this episode frustrated me, I think I got a partial answer:

And it's got to do with what I'd call 'lazy' writing, especially with the pantheon's divine powers. These are powerful gods capable of recognising other avatars and creating instant-travel doorways anywhere and any time, but... They couldn't even recognise Harrow as Ammit's avatar? Even though they knew who he was and created a doorway for him to show up in the council meeting? What?

Also, how did the gods convene so quickly to trap Khonsho in that small stone statue? Other than for the dramatic ending to the episode, it makes little narrative sense that they were already inside the pyramid, ready to seal Khonshu away.

It kinda feels like every third episode of all the MCU TV shows so far has been the weakest or close to being the weakest.

Last edited:
Alright, the fourth episode done, and...

My faith is almost restored.

That standing sarcophagus, though! It must be the undisclosed third personality, the one brushed aside in the third episode so unceremoniously.

And the whole Layla VS the mummy was intense. That was some Good TV. Wish there was more of that, but I guess the budget couldn't quite stretch that far.

Finally, who's that Hippo goddess? Don't tell me that's Ammit? I thought she was supposed to be a crocodile, so...

Of course, there are still some issues with the writing - like, are you telling me Marc/Stephen and Layla were travelling around without a single gun?! When the technical shows up to ambush the duo at the beginning of the show, I was throwing my hands up at the screen while Layla was messing around with flares. No guns? Not even a single pistol?! And then, why was a trained mercenary like Marc standing totally exposed when a whole bunch of gun-toting goons showed up in Alexander's tomb? Makes no sense.

However, I saw them as minor gripes, not bad enough to break the episode or the narrative.

Can't wait for the next episode now.

Last edited:
Huh. I hope this isn't seen as a triple post. Anyway...

The fifth episode done, and...

I really liked it. Solid episode, some great character building, and Oscar Isaac's acting was worthy of an award or two. There is the obligatory CGI fight towards the end of the episode, but even that was pretty solid - maybe because it wasn't as complicated or overly ambitious? I don't know.

One thing I'm kind of curious is how the last episode will wrap up this series. I'm guessing it won't be longer than one hour, and that might not be long enough to bring everything to a neat end. And there should be the MCU staple of mid- and post-credit stingers, too.

Oh, and what happened at the end of the episode made me wonder just where in the timeline of the MCU this show fits in. So many people started dying (off screen unfortunately), and that many deaths would obviously be noticeable, so wouldn't such an event get a mention in other shows or movies? Unless... this show takes place in an alternate universe, and the post-credit stinger has something to do with Dr. Strange 2? Since that movie will premier just as this show ends...

Last edited:
I hope this isn't seen as a triple post.
One week, and two days and one hour, between posts, and posts sharing significant/new information which wasn't available at the time of the original, wouldn't ever be seen as a double/triple.

The last episode (5) was probably the best of the series so far, unfortunately I haven't found the series overall to be that engaging. Isaac's acting is great, as is Hawke's, but the series just hasn't gripped me at all. A few good moments, a few dumb moments (totally agreed with @JKgo on Epsiode 3), but I just don't really care about anything that's happening.

The last episode (5) was probably the best of the series so far, unfortunately I haven't found the series overall to be that engaging. Isaac's acting is great, as is Hawke's, but the series just hasn't gripped me at all. A few good moments, a few dumb moments (totally agreed with @JKgo on Epsiode 3), but I just don't really care about anything that's happening.
I can understand that.

I guess with some characters, I’ll place this with the Eternals as well, the back stories aren’t engaging enough in linking to how this connects with everything MCU. In a sense, without reading the comics, how do casual viewers relate Moon Knight with Iron Man?
I mean, to go another way, Blade explained everything in one movie. If no one ever knew about the character, it had everything in it to explain his back story, what he was about and where he could go.

I like this Moon Knight series because, it’s a bit different from the other MCU shows, from another angle. In my eyes, it’s not superheroey. I liked(but hated his character) Oscar Isaacs in Sucker Punch and disliked him in everything else, until this show. For me, it’s been a little break between the big action stuff of all the previous shows & movies, before Dr. Strange 2 drops.

I guess with some characters, I’ll place this with the Eternals as well, the back stories aren’t engaging enough in linking to how this connects with everything MCU. In a sense, without reading the comics, how do casual viewers relate Moon Knight with Iron Man?
They shouldn't have too much trouble relating him to Black Panther.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Layla Knight"/Scarlet Scarab is on her way to a future Girlvengers team with Kate, Yelena and Ms. Marvel. Girls get it done (oops, wrong show, I mean "She's not alone").

Last edited:
Saw the episode 6, and...

Well, that was a bit of a bunk, wasn't it? When I saw the run time of less than 43 minutes, I knew something was up - and oh boy, this felt like a trainwreck of an ending/last episode.

The kaiju versions of Khonsu and Ammit were fun enough but everything else... Hmm. And I squarely blame the writers for this mess. Stuff seems to be missing from the plot, the power levels of our protagonists were topsy-turvy and all over the place... And Stephen suddenly knowing how to beat people up when previously, he didn't know how. Oh, and Layla suddenly transforming into a superhero for no discernible purpose other than that single line of "Are you an Egyptian superhero?" I laud the idea behind it, but that's not how you do a superhero introduction!!! And glossing over the third personality again only to serve it as the mid-credit stinger/a loose end for the next season/appearance for Moon Knight... :irked:

Utterly deflating end to an otherwise intriguing series.

Overall, I feel that this series has to be worst MCU TV show so far. High concept, but couldn't stick the landing in the end.

I was checking out the list of upcoming Marvel TV shows and... I think I'm going to skip Ms. Marvel. Looks like it's going to be too teenage-focused for my liking. Next up is supposed to be the She-Hulk series, which I'm looking forward to. No idea when it'll drop, though, other than mid-2022, which could be anywhere between July and September, I guess.

IMG_20220525_175156.jpg
Absolutely in love with Scarlet Scarab's costume design. Layla and Jane (as seen in the Thor: Love and Thunder trailer) are the best looking Phase 4 superheroines in my book. Hope she gets more character development if Moon Knight gets a second season.

P.S. I love how they portrayed Taweret in the series. Those wiggly ears! :lol:

I was checking out the list of upcoming Marvel TV shows and... I think I'm going to skip Ms. Marvel. Looks like it's going to be too teenage-focused for my liking. Next up is supposed to be the She-Hulk series, which I'm looking forward to. No idea when it'll drop, though, other than mid-2022, which could be anywhere between July and September, I guess.
There seems to be very little coming up that I'm invested in, I've watched the TV shows to date and while I've enjoyed some, Moonknight was just dull. Isaac's acting was excellent, but the plot was as leaky as a collinder and I just didn't care about anyone or anything going on.

After seeing the trailers for Ms Marvel and She Hulk, I just don't think I can be bothered.

I just watched Ms. Marvel episode one and a particular minority appears to be overrepresented in the show compared to the comic.
Since when were Bruno and Zöe both gingers? :lol:
Apart from that I thought it was great. Iman Vellani is very relatable (unlike her idol Brie).

Last edited:
My wife enjoyed it and I felt it was very cute.
I just watched Ms. Marvel episode one and a particular minority appears to be overrepresented in the show compared to the comic.
I noticed a particular big or "minor" Avenger, was shown more than other Avengers.

I was just making a puerile ginger joke, please pay me no mind.

Talking of Ant-Man I wonder what was in the giant mock up of his helmet at the Con to keep it rolling for so long. Was it filled with spent uranium or something?

I was just making a puerile ginger joke, please pay me no mind.

Talking of Ant-Man I wonder what was in the giant mock up of his helmet at the Con to keep it rolling for so long. Was it filled with spent uranium or something?
:lol:

That and Mjolnir. I thought, "Ay, that got dark real quick!".

More soap opera to please the ladies this week. I think Bisha Ali and her buds are doing a good job, the show seems pretty grounded and they kept the tone light despite the darker elements beginning to surface in the narrative.

That's not an official twitter account, though. Take it with a huge grain of salt.
If that’s fake, that’s wack.
With all the Phase 4 projects from She Hulk to Blade to Secret Invasion, if she’s just going to pop up somewhere, it’s going to need to be called “I Love Wanda”.

That has to be the weakest Finale of a show I have ever seen. They snuck in a theme snippet and I guess, there’s a link to “unknown” characters. Plus, an end credit scene.

I had my sound turned down and didn't hear the
X-Men
theme. I know they didn't quite stick the landing and the overall pacing of the show was all over the place but I liked the worldbuilding and felt the cast had a lot of heart. Hope I see them again.

Yeah, it’s going to be crazy with what’s coming through 2025. DareDevil is getting plenty air time. Something like 15-18 episodes for his series.

I think She-Hulk will be good. At least, to introduce new characters.

Now, after I saw Thor Love and Thunder:
I’m not studying that Wanda Scarlet Witch thing. There was no way for her to redeem herself in Dr. Strange MoM. Especially, what we saw happen to Loki. I think that’s what’s going to happen with Wanda moving forward. So easy to grab characters from anywhere for a reset.

The Spider-Man Freshman Year and X-Men ‘97 look good. So much good stuff coming.

I'm eagerly awaiting the She-Hulk show (not that I've been disappointed in any of the Marvel Disney+ series yet, but still...) I read the John Byrne Sensational She-Hulk series when it was being released back in 1989-1994. That appears to be the run most of this TV show will be based on. If you're interested in reading about her, Marvel is releasing the Sensational She-Hulk Omnibus in October (well after the show, seems like bad timing but whatever.) If you get it digitally it will be 731 pages for only $35 which is a heck of a deal.

Last edited:
Back