Do you like the new GTP layout?

Do you like the new GTP layout?

• Yes

Votes: 76 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • I have no strong feelings. One way or the other.

Votes: 15 11.5%

• Total voters
The bright red? No
Everything else? Absolutely

Just.....why that red? It's really, really bright and stands out a mile compared to all of the other colours on the page. It is constantly drawing my eyes to the top (and bottom when typing a comment) of the page instead of the middle where all the good stuff is.

It's the same colour as the line at the top of the screen that's been there since the move to XenForo.

Seems it's displaying differently for some folks (likely a Mac thing). The admin badges look like the old red, but the top bar, forum sections, and poll bars (amongst other things I'm guessing) have a new, brighter red.

It's the same colour as the line at the top of the screen that's been there since the move to XenForo.

I've just figured out that the menu at the top sticks on the screen now which might explain why it suddenly feels more distracting.

I've been browsing quite a bit today and I've already gotten used to the new layout.
After a few browser adjustments I really like the new look.

Now we only need rounded edges on everything.

Aesthetically, one thing I could do without is the giant conspicuous "X more messages..." button when a thread has more pages.

But I like the new design overall. I was never fond of the previous one; I always missed beige GTP and the extra visual contrast of ye olde "GTP Lite" theme. A dark theme for the new design would be greatly appreciated!

Who had 39 in the "Dark Theme Mention" bet? I think that actually took a little longer than the last revision!

Please share half of your winnings with @Wolfe. :D

Just as I did for the last version of GTP, I'll be working on a dark theme for use with the Stylish extension. You can install Stylish on most modern browsers. Here are the links for Firefox & Chrome

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...es-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en

This is what my last version looked like - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...round-white-text-option.317646/#post-11225589

I don't have a ton of free time right now so it might be a while before I finish it.

The new design is several orders of magnitude more mobile-friendly than the old one.
Really? I myself find it quite the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, it's not awful, and it's not unusable, but with all respect to those who worked on it, it just doesnt do it for me.

Wiz
Just as I did for the last version of GTP, I'll be working on a dark theme for use with the Stylish extension. You can install Stylish on most modern browsers. Here are the links for Firefox & Chrome

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...es-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en

This is what my last version looked like - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...round-white-text-option.317646/#post-11225589

I don't have a ton of free time right now so it might be a while before I finish it.

That would be awesome :cheers:

Its not better or worse than the old one, just different. I do have to adjust to the new one though which makes me mildly unhappy, therefore it is slightly worse than the old one.

On Firefox all the text is quite jaggy and the sizes are indeed wide ranging, not sure why it's displaying like that.

I just want to say thanks to @Jordan for using actual menus instead of the "hamburger" menu that has been infecting most websites. :cheers:

I also like seeing someone's details when you click their avatar, it makes it much easier to find out someone's PSN/XBL name.

On Firefox all the text is quite jaggy and the sizes are indeed wide ranging, not sure why it's displaying like that.
Windows Firefox, I presume? I've found its font rendering for just about everything outside of Verdana or Arial is atrocious. I don't know why it's so bad, either.

I just want to say thanks to @Jordan for using actual menus instead of the "hamburger" menu that has been infecting most websites. :cheers:
I don't like those prolific hamburger menus, either! :lol: (Though I do understand why most designers use them.)

Windows Firefox, I presume? I've found its font rendering for just about everything outside of Verdana or Arial is atrocious. I don't know why it's so bad, either.

Yes. It's odd that the font scaling and smoothing is so off. No problems on Firefox Mobile.

I have had a few layout glitches with another browser I use often which is Metro IE (11 underneath), the bottom bar keeps sticking to the top one and the page sections sometimes overlap and are compressed. Hopefully MS will update it (as IE 11 is still being patched) a give it the tools to display the pages properly.

Now on PC, the forums - although in-need of an official dark-theme asap - are tolerable. A little more contrast than 'white boxes on light-grey canvas' would go far for many eyes, a darker grey or stronger boarders for each post-box at least. Everything kinda blends-together in a mash of white atm.
But seriously, get an official dark-theme going so I don't have to download extra stuff. :irked:

The front page though? - :yuck:. The layout reminds me of a news-site like MSN or Yahoo!, uninteresting stories and headliners included.

I actually prefer the mobile-version I saw on my lunch over the PC right now :odd:. Was there actually anything wrong with the old layout, besides age of code or something, or was the switch mostly for 'A e s t h e t i c s'?

Edit* - Another thing I noticed, the grey box under everyone's username that lists post-count and location, actually looks cheaper than the old version IMO.
Edit 2* - An actual 'issue' I've come across. Avatars appear correct and re-sized as necessary everywhere expect up top when you click on your own username (as if to log-out). When that grey-box drops dow with all the options, the avatar is noticeably cut-off on the right and bottom sides, rather than being re-sized to the square itself.

Last edited:
I'm really digging the new layout. Its a bit Jarring at first but after you figure out how everythings been organised its much much easier on the eyes,

Edit* Its also fantastic on mobile as well

It's visually jarring for me. The lack of contrast between the white and light grey makes it difficult to distinguish text boxes from the background, and the brightened pallete is hard on the eyes.

The previous design was really a masterpiece.

That said, I don't mind the new one. It doesn't look as polished as the old one, but that's OK. The only thing I really don't like is the nuclear-magma-red on the forum home page. @Jordan, perhaps you could tone it down a bit? I have neon-green bars burned into my retinas now.

Here is my 2c on how the site would look better.

Reds bars have had brightness reduced by 50%.
muted.png

A Dark Theme would also look nice(unlike my quick hackjob).
darkmode.png

Latest Posts

Back