Do you still support PD?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 324 comments

Do you still support PD?

• Total voters
It's missing B spec and course maker, which both sucked IMO.

But you know, I have not read any "I played GT5 the other day because GT6 sucks so hard and GT5 is so much better" threads.
That probably has something to do with the fact the online portion of GT5 was shut down to force people into buying GT6.

The game has been out over a year and it still isn't finished. There is a very real possibility that when GT7 comes out they may shut down GT6 servers shortly after the release. So how long are we actually going to have a complete game in our possession and still be able to play online?

If they want to release unfinished games then they should at least leave online servers running for the older version. Perhaps that would also motivate them to finish a game their customers already paid full price for.

Did you get rid of your copy? You can have my GT5 play it as much as you like

No, I kept my GT5.

By the time I thought of selling it the disc wasn't worth anything. Nobody was going to buy an original disc for any price when they could get a new copy of XL for less than $20 with however many dollars of DLC as well.

Besides, I kind of like it to remember all the good times I had with friends on GT5.

I liked GT5 so much I bought it three times. Standard copy, then picked up the Signature edition box-set, then bought the academy edition. :lol:

Actually I didn't like it that much. Mainly because of the Leveling system...and the course maker was frustratingly disappointing.

No, I kept my GT5.

By the time I thought of selling it the disc wasn't worth anything. Nobody was going to buy an original disc for any price when they could get a new copy of XL for less than $20 with however many dollars of DLC as well.

Besides, I kind of like it to remember all the good times I had with friends on GT5.

Why dont you play it? One of my favorite games is Red Dead Redemption, I replay it every now and then

Last edited:
Why dont you play it?

Because I have other games I'd rather play more?

Not just racing games, I should mention. I'm still working my way through MGS4 (which I somehow only managed to buy recently), and lately I've been enamoured of Heroes of the Storm (which is awesome).

But depending on what style of racing (or just driving around) I'm after I have access to a fairly wide library of racing games, and there's not many times that I find myself thinking "of all the games I have access to, GT5 would be the best for what I feel like tonight".

It is what it is. When I got it, it was one of the only racing games I had available. That has since changed, and unfortunately as a result it doesn't get played much.

Because I have other games I'd rather play more?

Not just racing games, I should mention. I'm still working my way through MGS4 (which I somehow only managed to buy recently), and lately I've been enamoured of Heroes of the Storm (which is awesome).

But depending on what style of racing (or just driving around) I'm after I have access to a fairly wide library of racing games, and there's not many times that I find myself thinking "of all the games I have access to, GT5 would be the best for what I feel like tonight".

It is what it is. When I got it, it was one of the only racing games I had available. That has since changed, and unfortunately as a result it doesn't get played much.

I do that too waiting a while to play games, I still replay old games too

MGS Ground Zero is a tight demo, if you enjoy MSG4 check it out. Do you ever play GT6?

Last edited:
MGS Ground Zero is a tight demo, if you enjoy MSG4 check it out.

I got the PC version when it went up on steam. It is a really, really good little game.

Do you ever play GT6?

Every time that there's a major patch I pop it in to see what's up. Otherwise, not really.

I have the same problems as with GT5 but more so. There's very little about GT6 that is the best of all the games I have available, other than some unique cars and tracks. It's a good all round game, and if someone were going to have only one racing game it's certainly a high contender for that position as it does many things acceptably well. But with a decent library available, it just keeps getting edged out by something else.

It's why it's a shame for me that the course maker hasn't come out, because that really is a unique feature that I could only get playing GT6. I don't have another game where I can make courses apart from GT5, and that's quite a limited thing compared to what I understand the GT6 course maker to be. Especially the GPS course maker.

Like many people I'm sure, I have lots of roads around my house that will probably make great tracks. There's a couple of good short courses on industrial estates, nice and twisty. There's a great ring around the outside of my suburb that would make a good road-style GP course. There's some massive straight roads for drag strips. I live in Melbourne and the Melbourne GP circuit is public road when it's not in use, so I'd be able to make that. There's the Great Ocean Road not far away, which is one of the best driving roads I've ever been on (and I used to live in NZ which has decent driving roads), and the hills on the other side of Melbourne have some great stuff too.

What an excuse to go out for a day of driving on great roads just so that you can make the course on a computer game! I'd love it.

Honestly, I bought GT6 knowing mostly what it was likely to be, but knowing also that the course maker would be my thing. It was touted as almost ready at release, so I bought it in January assuming that it'd be out in a month or two. I was fairly sure I could get at least that much amusement out of trying their new career mode and online and such. And I did, but the course maker never came.

Here we are a year later, and I'm still waiting for the thing that would make the game for me. It's a bit of a shame.

That's a tough lesson I guess. If something is the make or break detail, wait until its in before buying, if you thought it was only going to be 2 months that not long to wait you could of learned much about GT6 before you bought it. Assumptions birth mistakes, but now you know a cardinal rule about buying games, and pretty much everything, dont buy it until you give it a test drive.. I was so dissatisfied with GT5 I planned not to buy GT6 until at least a year after release unless the things I wanted fixed got fixed. Im sure GT6 sales would of been better had GT5 not in my eyes sucked so much.

If something is the make or break detail, wait until its in before buying, if you thought it was only going to be 2 months that not long to wait you could of learned much about GT6 before you bought it. Assumptions birth mistakes, but now you know a cardinal rule about buying games, and pretty much everything, dont buy it until you give it a test drive.

Meh, there are things that I'm willing to spend money on to give them a reasonable chance to happen. I put money into pCARS early, because I want to see the project happen even if it turns out to suck. I've put money into Heroes of the Storm because I want to see them carry it on. Same with Assetto Corsa. Even Ground Zeroes sort of counts, technically it's not really worth it for that little demo in comparison to the cost/content of a real game, but I'm OK with it because it's a neat little game and I'm happy supporting the development of MGS5.

I'm willing to take a gamble on certain companies that I believe can deliver. I'm aware that it's a risk, but I like to think that by supporting them early I'm giving them the best chance to deliver their best work. Nobody does their best work when they're struggling for money and just trying to pay the bills.

Of course, I'll only do it until a company fails me. If pCARS sucks, I'm not going to give SMS money again. HotS doesn't suck already even though it's beta, so I'm safe there. Assetto Corsa delivered in fine style, and I certainly got my money's worth.

Polyphony...well, as you say, next time I wait until they actually deliver. I think that's probably the difference between a fan who supports PD, and one who's merely along for the ride to see what they can do. There are quite a few companies I would be willing to back purely on the strength of their past work (Naughty Dog, take my money!), but Polyphony is no longer one of them.

Obviously, I've leant towards thinking of GT6 as a kind of Early Access/open beta type of game. It wasn't advertised as such, but looking back on the last year the resemblance is strong.

I would like more updates for GT6 rather than content with a huge download mainly of a HD video :banghead:

I also love that they do not rob us like others do with DLC and season pass. I barely buy it but probably would be tempted to get for GT6.

The free DLC and tracks available are awesome, but PD has put themselves in such a predicament. They are VERY far behind the curve now. PD is still supporting a last gen, not fully featured game while PCars and FM5 (and soon FM6) are upon the console sim racing community. I know they are working on GT7, but with their staff who knows when they will even be able to DEMO something.

What's funny is that some of the issues are actually easy to fix. For instance car selection. Put GT6's car selection next to FM5's car selection (existing cars). One would have to think that GT6 was a game from 5 years ago. The car selection is horrendously behind. Sound quality ... well, let's not go there.

I think GT6 is a wash now. I only play it now to play with my son who's almost two. And the only reason for that is because my Fanatec CSR only works with my PS3. If it worked for the PS4, I'd be playing Driveclub (arcadey but AWESOME scenery) with him.

To put it bluntly, GT7 is going to have to come out to be something REALLY special. And I'm sorry, getting Porsche (if they did) wouldn't cut it. I'm talking the weather effects of Driveclub (best I've seen in a racing game), car selection of FM5, graphics that truely represent the 8G of GDDR5 that's in the PS4, audio that makes player's turn off the background music just to listen to the engine, and support for ALL (well most) of the wheels (G27/25, Fanatecs, Madcatz, etc.).

... and the bringing back of El Capitan. :)

All I know and this is just a personal opinion is that I will not be buying the next GT game on release day, I will however buy it second hand so that PD don't get my money, I already feel cheated that I bought half a game over a year ago and still a year later that they have yet to add promised features to it, The lack of support lets be honest here is horrendous, Put bluntly everything PD does now is either woefully out of date or simple lacking any sense whatsoever, If Kaz loses his job and is replaced before the next iteration of the franchise I may be more inclined to purchase it more expensively but I do believe his vision of a racing game is sadly not the vision we all as car lovers actually have.

I don't support them at the moment. Not since the standard cars are still there and they own't add any cars from previous games like the '94 Prelude for example. And GT6 was just GT5 v1.1 and I felt duped, the physics change isn't that great and there's still SRF for newbies; how can you be the real driving simulator when you have an arcade physics option? I could go on and on and on and on, but I won't.

However, just because I want to compare it to PCars, I may buy GT7 when it comes out sometime in 2016 or whatever, that is unless PCars is just so great that it fills the void of what used to be GT (until GT5) and then I'll probably skip GT from that point on, or at least wait until it's a $20 game or something.

Jerome

Last edited:
Although it saddens me to say, no I don't support them much anymore.

They seem to have lost their way and strayed from the original formula that made GT so engaging.

Their last two installments seem to be some experimental foray into dumb down and gimmickery.

Too short on quality of content, features, and structure, dropping the original formula instead of expanding on it.

Like most games today they seem to want to cater to the casual non GT player instead of the fan base.

The huge fan base was generated out of the original formula, not some big tent attempt at a video game.

While some I'm sure will disagree, I believe sales of GT6 in comparison reflect this flawed direction.

Anyway, JMO.

I love Gt6, especially the road car physics and tyres up to Comfort Soft. I think it's an amazing learning tool and should be in every sim racers library! So thank you PD for that! On the other hand, please PD, let us know of your future intentions - don't keep us in the dark! Many of us have been loyal fans to you for many years now and we deserve better communication on your part! We need to know of your plans for Gt6 and about gt7, about DLC and oncoming updates.. I mean seriously, I bet gtplanet.net gets hundreds of thousands of 10-second visitors who log in just to see if there's news for their favourite game - checking gtplanet is the first thing I do every morning..
So there you have it.. :D I'm done!

Although it saddens me to say, no I don't support them much anymore.

They seem to have lost their way and strayed from the original formula that made GT so engaging.

Their last two installments seem to be some experimental foray into dumb down and gimmickery.

Too short on quality of content, features, and structure, dropping the original formula instead of expanding on it.

Like most games today they seem to want to cater to the casual non GT player instead of the fan base.

The huge fan base was generated out of the original formula, not some big tent attempt at a video game.

While some I'm sure will disagree, I believe sales of GT6 in comparison reflect this flawed direction.

Anyway, JMO.

Well said. IMO what killed PD, looking back, was multiplayer. They figured casual gamers would just want to play online, since that's all everyone griped about regarding GT up to GT4. Their decision NOT to include multiplayer in GT4 was why it was such a great game, they really excelled at every other aspect (you could LAN play! :)) of the game in hopes to make up for the fact that online wasn't made available (and reasonably so, the PS2 online wasn't much back then). Because if they didn't, AND it didn't have multiplayer, it would've been a monumental flop.

Then when GT5 came out, there was a huge focus to multiplayer, which ironically wasn't laid out well despite numerous PC games showing how it should be done. Now with GT6, it's like they just regurgitated GT5's online abilities with a few tweaks and completely dropped the A-Spec. Add to that the fact that everything is kept under lock and key, I have no patience for them anymore.

Jerome

Well said. IMO what killed PD, looking back, was multiplayer. They figured casual gamers would just want to play online, since that's all everyone griped about regarding GT up to GT4. Their decision NOT to include multiplayer in GT4 was why it was such a great game, they really excelled at every other aspect (you could LAN play! :)) of the game in hopes to make up for the fact that online wasn't made available (and reasonably so, the PS2 online wasn't much back then). Because if they didn't, AND it didn't have multiplayer, it would've been a monumental flop.

Then when GT5 came out, there was a huge focus to multiplayer, which ironically wasn't laid out well despite numerous PC games showing how it should be done. Now with GT6, it's like they just regurgitated GT5's online abilities with a few tweaks and completely dropped the A-Spec. Add to that the fact that everything is kept under lock and key, I have no patience for them anymore.

Jerome

Thanks for the comment and likewise well said.
Who knows, perhaps GT7 will buck the trend and mark a return to greatness.
There is always hope, slim as it maybe.

Latest Posts

Back