Do you think this game will be succesful?

• Thread starter Irish_59
  • 31 comments

Will it be

• yes

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • no

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters
Better or not than Shift 2 will depend on whomever plays it. Sales wise, it will probably do better because it's one of the bigger exclusive titles on the Xbox 360. It's got quite a bit larger following than Shift 2 & the large car roster will probably draw in more folks than Shift 2.

Depends on your definition of 'succesful', of course, but, yeah, I thinit will sell decently well and I could see FM4 getting good review scores as well, as the Forza franchise always did.

Is the poll asking whether or not the game will be successful or if it will be better than Shift 2?

Of course the game will be successful, seeing as the first 3 Forza games were, and this one looks to be even better. Will it be better than Shift 2? I'm not sure, all I know is the Shift 2 Legends DLC is better than anything in the base Shift 2 game, and hopefully Forza will follow and have a bunch of classic cars and old versions of race tracks.

Parker

I'd bank on the physics engine alone that it would be better than either of the SHIFT titles, which in my mind, were a major disappointment. The success of Forza - FM3 has been the ability to customize, buy/sell and trade automobiles... Let alone their ability to push boundaries forward while "other games" only make incremental improvements.

So, yes. It will be very successful. I think the only hiccup for Microsoft at this point is on the wheel game, whereas they stopped making the last one that debuted with FM3, and I have yet to hear if they plan on re-releasing a wheel for FM4.

I will almost bet they have something in store, if not a better MS wheel, it will be at least be support on some third party hardware, because it is really killing racing games on the 360.

I will almost bet they have something in store, if not a better MS wheel, it will be at least be support on some third party hardware, because it is really killing racing games on the 360.

Seriously it's not killing anything on the 360. The vast and I mean VAST majority of users on the 360 use the controller for racing on the 360 just as the VAST majority of GT5 users on the PS3 use the controller over any Logitec or other wheel. People, we have to remember when it comes it wheel users/sim racers/physics whores were are the EXTREME minority. And when I say extreme I mean EXTREME minority. Wheel users/sim racers/physics whores are severly outnumbered. On these forums we may be the majority but in the rest of the world we barely have a say.

t.o.
Seriously it's not killing anything on the 360. The vast and I mean VAST majority of users on the 360 use the controller for racing on the 360 just as the VAST majority of GT5 users on the PS3 use the controller over any Logitec or other wheel. People, we have to remember when it comes it wheel users/sim racers/physics whores were are the EXTREME minority. And when I say extreme I mean EXTREME minority. Wheel users/sim racers/physics whores are severly outnumbered. On these forums we may be the majority but in the rest of the world we barely have a say.

I agree. How are you liking your Fanatec?

I was really looking forward to more Porsche vehicles in Forza 4. However, all signs are pointing to a dropped Porsche license for this release. This was really a selling point for me because Porsche is one of my favorite manufacturers. But I will still pick up this game. It is going to be huge! From what I have read Microsoft has scheduled a four hour Forza presentation at E3 next week!

Depends on what you mean by "successful"

If you're wondering if it will sell enough to make up for development costs and then some, sure, it probably will.

If you mean "will it be a good game that the true fans of the series will like" then that is yet to be seen. I doubt it though. T10 is obsessed with graphics. The Racers get shafted more and more with each iteration.

If you mean "will it be a good game that the true fans of the series will like" then that is yet to be seen. I doubt it though. T10 is obsessed with graphics. The Racers get shafted more and more with each iteration.

The 'true fans' are going to find a reason as to why Forza 2 is still the best. No matter how good the overall game is, they're not going to like it - I'm quite certain about that :lol:

Everyone I know uses a wheel with their PS3 racing games. Every single racer.

Now on the xbox 360 it's a totally different story due to the sad state of affairs (only 1 FFB wheel, Fanatec).

I agree with the other poster actually. I believe the lack of wheels is seriously holding back racing titles on the 360 platform

I'd love to see concrete sales figures for Forza 3 and compare it to GT5. Forza 3 is a really, really awesome game but due to the lack of wheels its hard to take the series seriously (for me, I can only speak for myself I want to have a good wheel).

So sick and tired of Fanatec being the only choice. I really don't want to have deal with Fanatec anymore they just can't keep up with the demand :grumpy:

On the other hand what you write does make sense. I am sure the vast majority of users on both platforms use a gamepad :(

It shouldn't be that way though. At least on the PS3 it just shouldn't go down like that with all the nice options out there.

Screw it I was forced to vote 'yes' -edit

Last edited:
I think it will be better than Shift 2 also.

Question to the op.

Was Shift 2 successful?

I agree. How are you liking your Fanatec?

I was really looking forward to more Porsche vehicles in Forza 4. However, all signs are pointing to a dropped Porsche license for this release. This was really a selling point for me because Porsche is one of my favorite manufacturers. But I will still pick up this game. It is going to be huge! From what I have read Microsoft has scheduled a four hour Forza presentation at E3 next week!

I'm loving the Fanatec. Best videogame related purchase ever.

Porsche being gone, and I'm thinking the same thing you are that Porsche in Forza will be no more, is going to be a MAJOR blow to the series. I wont say it's a blow they can't bounce back from but it WILL be a major blow. I for one am a crazed fan of Porsche in the game so I know I'll be bummed.

My setup:
P1011256.jpg

Everyone I know uses a wheel with their PS3 racing games. Every single racer.
For me it's different. Most people I know personally and online don't even have a PS3. Those who do have one AND a racing game don't have a wheel and don't plan to get one, ever. Now then there's the group I race with. Most of these guys have Fanatec wheels. Only a few actually went out and bought another wheel for the PS3.

Do you think this game will be succesful?

I wish you would have elaborated. We need to know what you mean in terms of what kind of success. Do you mean "be a great game, score well, and be generally enjoyed by players" or do you mean "sell well"?

If you mean "sell well", yes. Forza Motorsport doesn't enjoy nearly as large a fan base as does Gran Turismo, so it will never be able to sell as many copies as GT no matter what Turn 10 does with the game. However, a game doesn't have to sell as well as GT to be a success. Most games sell fewer than one million units apiece, while Forza games have done in the ballpark of two million or so, as I recall. If FM4 can sell anywhere near as well as FM2 or FM3, it would be a success in terms of sales and profits. I see no real reason for FM4 not to sell roughly as well as the previous games.

If you mean being well-received and well-rated, I again see no reason for it not to since it's the highest-rated racing franchise of the current generation. Granted, the driving physics don't feel as good as GT5's, and I don't think there's anybody anywhere that's played both who would argue to the contrary, but unfortunately for GT a game isn't about just one single aspect and FM does a decent job of it anyway. While GT fanboys like to disrespect FM (out of jealousy, really) by deliberately throwing around the term "arcade" to describe it, FM definitely isn't really an arcade racer and GT isn't a true sim (some PC offerings come closer). Driving physics aside, FM generally beats the crap out of GT5 in pretty much every other regard, and that's why it's still the top-rated racing series of the generation.

Granted, the driving physics don't feel as good as GT5's, and I don't think there's anybody anywhere that's played both who would argue to the contrary, but unfortunately for GT a game isn't about just one single aspect and FM does a decent job of it anyway. While GT fanboys like to disrespect FM (out of jealousy, really) by deliberately throwing around the term "arcade" to describe it, FM definitely isn't really an arcade racer and GT isn't a true sim (some PC offerings come closer). Driving physics aside, FM generally beats the crap out of GT5 in pretty much every other regard, and that's why it's still the top-rated racing series of the generation.

Actually many do find the physics much better in FM.

I'm loving the Fanatec. Best videogame related purchase ever.

Porsche being gone, and I'm thinking the same thing you are that Porsche in Forza will be no more, is going to be a MAJOR blow to the series. I wont say it's a blow they can't bounce back from but it WILL be a major blow. I for one am a crazed fan of Porsche in the game so I know I'll be bummed.

My setup:
P1011256.jpg

For me it's different. Most people I know personally and online don't even have a PS3. Those who do have one AND a racing game don't have a wheel and don't plan to get one, ever. Now then there's the group I race with. Most of these guys have Fanatec wheels. Only a few actually went out and bought another wheel for the PS3.

Hey I just wanted to say I like your cockpit 👍

Good response as well...

Oh snap the lack of porches will be a huge blow. That's one of the things that really gave FM3 that extra spice. That was one of the 1st cars i drove in Forza (using the private match feature to test the cars).

Hey I just wanted to say I like your cockpit 👍

Good response as well...

Oh snap the lack of porches will be a huge blow. That's one of the things that really gave FM3 that extra spice. That was one of the 1st cars i drove in Forza (using the private match feature to test the cars).

Thanks man. It's a home made rig as you can clearly see. lol. Wife is annoyed by it and wants me to just get something better. I seriously thinking of taking her up on that offer.

Actually many do find the physics much better in FM.

I personally dont feel much of a big difference in the physics, beside the lack of driving dynamics in GT5. I use a Fanatec Turbo S and i got to the point where both games drive very similar. What i dont like in GT5 is, that you either have a ton of grip or nothing. In Forza you cant trust on the tyres, so you have to work for your grip.

The problem is that GT5 is a great simulation, but it disapointed many gamer. Forza comes as a massive package with great things like auctions, painting, video editing, better tuning, car clubs and more. It is not that shiny, but has a truly amazing physic system under the hood.

With the addition of Top Gear, which has a fan base in the billions maybe, their it can get very successful.

Another thing is that they bring out the games within a two year circle and what happens in two years? Right, new console generation and Forza 5 could become a system seller as GT always was. I hope they get out a reasonable priced wheel for all the guys who cant or dont want to spend money on a fanatec.

What else is making people think Porsche are gone apart from RUF being an LCE car? As part of EA's agreement to allow T10 the Porsche license is that T10 aren't allowed to use Porsche in any official media related to Forza.

Forza still has Porsche (the Porsche logo appeared in the trailer showing all the manufacturers). So no worries there.

What else is making people think Porsche are gone apart from RUF being an LCE car? As part of EA's agreement to allow T10 the Porsche license is that T10 aren't allowed to use Porsche in any official media related to Forza.

I was about to ask the same... I didn't really get where that rumour came from.
Just because Polyphony Digital has to replace Porsche with RUF doesn't mean Forza will do the same... Having both alongside each other doesn't seem like something bad, either.

In fact, I'd like to see some more tuning companies in the game - so far, I can remember Mine's, Top Secret, Salleen and HKS. That's somethign they could 'copy' from Gran Turismo: Have the tuning companies listed as individual car makers and offer a few nice cars from them.

I'd like to see Alpina, Brabus, TechArt, 9ff and quite a few others, so, why not? Seeing a RUF made me think of that, not of the possibility that Porsche might be gone.

I think that FM4 might not be as successful as previous games,the problem that is starting to pop up is the same problem that FM3 had a while ago,and that is the lack of new content,as a frequent Forza player I could not stop noticing the lack of content in FM3,yes there are a plenty selection of cars and tracks,but most of cars(around 80% to 90%) were from previous games,while the new cars and like the new Lambos and the GT-R were DLC ,my biggest slap on the face thought is the DLC and newer editions of FM3,sure you get plenty of cars at the beginning but buy FM at launch release is a complete mistake,the reason for this is because you need to pay subsequent DLC packs,while other users buy the game a year or so after release and they get about 20% in DLC so is a gripe that I'm stating to see,Thus far the trailer has shown about 10 new cars to the series,but If you compare the DLC version of the 458 with the trailer version you soon find that is the same model with interior lighting.

Apart from that,5 new locations is a very few low number and considering the candidates(TG test track for example,which is cool with top gear stuff and everything but is a dull track)and other 4 which looks fine but still no Spa or old FM classic tracks(Alpine ring,Pacific docks,Blue mountain,etc...).

A lot of people will agree that TG appearance will affect somehow the outcome of the game(If this is done correctly like Jeremy Clarkson describing the cars like in Hot pursuit),but apart from that I don't see any night circuits,any open wheel cars,any 24 hrs races and a lot of stuff that the initial trailer suggested,which brings me to the conclusion that FM4 will be very likely a new $60 DLC pack of FM2,with a new lighting engine and cockpit camera(with rubbish shaking effects to impress fans).

We barely got anything shown or mentioned for FM4. T10 and MS have done a really good job at that this year. Probably because they want E3 to be the show for it.

All we got and know so far is from an internally leaked trailer, the 5 preorder cars and a clip from major nelson showing Kinect head tracking.
lots of assumptions being made though...

Forza still has Porsche (the Porsche logo appeared in the trailer showing all the manufacturers). So no worries there.

Someone made an animated gif showing all the manufacturers slowed down and Porsche wasn't in the trailer according to that.
Let's hope it's still in the game.

I think that FM4 might not be as successful as previous games,

It all depends on what their goal was. I believe I heard that career is supposed to have a multiplayer option. I could be mixing that up with another game though. lol. I'm not really a Top Gear guy to be honest. Probably watched two episodes but as I'm typing this I'm watching where they go into the Middle East as the 3 Wise Men. Freaking hilarious. Bearing gifts of gold, frankincense shampoo and a Nintendo DS. LMAO!! ......

EDIT: Just finished it. Funniest thing ever.

Last edited:
my biggest slap on the face thought is the DLC and newer editions of FM3,sure you get plenty of cars at the beginning but buy FM at launch release is a complete mistake,the reason for this is because you need to pay subsequent DLC packs,while other users buy the game a year or so after release and they get about 20% in DLC
Aren't all games getting cheaper as they get older? You neither have to buy the DLC nor do you have to buy the game at release, but if you want to have both the game and the DLC right away, you're paying aa premium. As you stated yourself, others will get it a year or so after you did.

Thus far the trailer has shown about 10 new cars to the series,but If you compare the DLC version of the 458 with the trailer version you soon find that is the same model with interior lighting.
You know, there are so many cars worth adding to the game, or rather, replacing older stuff. There's always discspace to consider. Plus, seeing that Forza has the highest amount of completely modelled cars (you know, with an interior) amongst games this generation, how's that a problem, really?
The list might not be as tight as Shift 2's (which is all killer, no filler), but for an amount of cars that high, it's still suprisingly high quality.
If anything, they should rework some of the models to correct modeling mistakes.

Apart from that,5 new locations is a very few low number and considering the candidates(TG test track for example,which is cool with top gear stuff and everything but is a dull track)and other 4 which looks fine but still no Spa or old FM classic tracks(Alpine ring,Pacific docks,Blue mountain,etc...).
Five additional locations really don't seem like a low number, added to an already decent roster of tracks.
I mean, what do you exoect? 20 new locations in two years?

apart from that I don't see any night circuits,any open wheel cars,any 24 hrs races and a lot of stuff that the initial trailer suggested,which brings me to the conclusion that FM4 will be very likely a new $60 DLC pack of FM2,with a new lighting engine and cockpit camera(with rubbish shaking effects to impress fans).
Dunno, but wouldn't it make sense to wait for an official list of FM4's features before shooting the game down?:dunce:

People pumped and still are pumping massive hours into FM3, so I don't see how a new game with the DLC cars already added and new additions to the car and track list is going to upset anyone but the most ardent nitpicker.

All I know is that theres going to be things that other games don't have in it. But I do hope Porsche is included with RUF. We will have to wait and see. They most likely wont say anything about that so that they could maximize sales on the release day. I bet they are going to wait till the release the cars from the car list then explain.

Someone made an animated gif showing all the manufacturers slowed down and Porsche wasn't in the trailer according to that.
Let's hope it's still in the game.
While I can't 100% confirmed, it's been said that a few manufacturer logos, Porsche included, were pretty transparent & that Porsche did appear right after the Pontiac logo.
I think that FM4 might not be as successful as previous games,the problem that is starting to pop up is the same problem that FM3 had a while ago,and that is the lack of new content,as a frequent Forza player I could not stop noticing the lack of content in FM3,yes there are a plenty selection of cars and tracks,but most of cars(around 80% to 90%) were from previous games
So Gran Turismo isn't a successful game then, either, by that logic....
while the new cars and like the new Lambos and the GT-R were DLC ,my biggest slap on the face thought is the DLC and newer editions of FM3,sure you get plenty of cars at the beginning but buy FM at launch release is a complete mistake,the reason for this is because you need to pay subsequent DLC packs,while other users buy the game a year or so after release and they get about 20% in DLC so is a gripe that I'm stating to see,Thus far the trailer has shown about 10 new cars to the series,but If you compare the DLC version of the 458 with the trailer version you soon find that is the same model with interior lighting.
In case you haven't noticed, nearly every major game has done that. It's called an incentive to keep the game fresh for the public. The only thing T10 did wrong was in how they screwed over people who had already bought the game.
This could easily apply to Gran Turismo 5 again, as well. Whilst several new tracks were added (some where just new configurations), many more were removed as well. And iirc, you seemed pretty fine with GT5 before its release....
A lot of people will agree that TG appearance will affect somehow the outcome of the game(If this is done correctly like Jeremy Clarkson describing the cars like in Hot pursuit),but apart from that I don't see any night circuits,any open wheel cars,any 24 hrs races and a lot of stuff that the initial trailer suggested,which brings me to the conclusion that FM4 will be very likely a new $60 DLC pack of FM2,with a new lighting engine and cockpit camera(with rubbish shaking effects to impress fans).
I don't see a lot of the things initially suggested with GT5, either. Does that make it a GT4.5 in terms of content (The inclusion of standard cars will be a yes for many)?

If you aren't getting it yet, you seem to be predicting a lot of "What If's" for a game that doesn't have a lot of info for it, whilst back before GT5's release, you weren't questioning it's content when there was even more info available.

Last edited:
Back