Do you write stories?

• Thread starter Lee
  • 351 comments
In my free time I write every once in a while. I've been working on a sci-fi type book but it about an alien hitman who goes to different worlds and kills people or does criminal activies. I'm pretty far in the book and its pretty good.
Wait, what's that got to do with a car crash and a web forum?

:P

Reviving an old thread with a post I feel will be the last of this thread, but I have a rather elaborate series going at the moment. Currently, most of it is posted on another website, but, if curiosity is shown for it, I may post it.

It describes the life of a fighter jet ace in a fictitious country, along with the stories of others involved with his adventures (worksafe, just a bit of swearing that can be edited) to create a story that actually makes sense (the main protagonist is a bit incoherent at first).

I like to write about the people that I watch
angry-smiley-188.gif

Well, I haven't really written anything, but I do have a story about a Cyborg-type superhero floating around in my head for about 4-5 years now.
IMO it's very well thought out, with Romance, an assassination immediately following the death of the hero's spouse, when he has his gaurd down, a funeral, and a villan that just wants the world to realise that not every person doesn't care for their fellow man.
From,
Chris.

Yep.

I've written short stories and dramatised reports for various car clubs, I've written sci-fi fanfic (internet published) and crime thriller short stories... I've co-authored some Harry Potter fanfic stuff with a friend (she drives that really) and every now and then, I do a bit of espionage stuff.

I can't bring myself to finish much, although I do have a top Star Trek premise I'm waiting to do justice to. Actually, I have a Bond screenplay idea I want to do too, which I really think will sit well with the new Bond 'style'.

Writing a novel is hard. :D

I've been wanting to write a story for a while now, I just don't remember when I actually have the time.

As for what it's about, I can't really say. I can at least say that there will be a lot of detailed murder among other things I don't want to mention. Basically it will be a story not suited for GTP, or any sane person for that matter.

I've been writing for the past sixteen years, which means I started at age five. I've been published a few times, but only in uni-wide things when I enter competitions. I try to write at every opportunity, but lately I haen't been doing nearly enough. I think it's because I started a really big project over the holidays that I thought had a lot of potential, only to find it was so incredibly similar to a cancelled television series I'd never heard of that if ever I pubised a word of it, I'd be done for plagiriasm for sure.

....Wow. I might get shot at for this stunt (resurrection of a stone-dead thread) I'm pulling now. But anyways...

Yeah, a few months ago, some things happened and I decided that maybe writing fiction was a swell idea. I always had a whole bunch of neat-ish plots and characters and story lines weaving in and out of my head ever since the early days of high school but never had the minerals to commit them on paper, digital or otherwise.

Now that I've begun writing in earnest, I gotta say, it's heck of a lot harder than all those movies and TV shows made it out to be. :embarrassed:

Just wondering out loud here, but is anyone on this forum still writing?

I still write when I can. I've been writing stories since I was about eight years old. Problem is I never have time to finish any stories so I end up with half books sitting with 50k words. In an effort to fix that I have taken to writing fanfiction so that I have to spend time updating and I can get feedback on writing style and what people like. So far got 40k or something on that and it is slow but steady

I still write when I can. I've been writing stories since I was about eight years old. Problem is I never have time to finish any stories so I end up with half books sitting with 50k words. In an effort to fix that I have taken to writing fanfiction so that I have to spend time updating and I can get feedback on writing style and what people like. So far got 40k or something on that and it is slow but steady

Ooooh, a fan-fiction. Color me intrigued. Tell me more. Is it of a property I might have heard of?

Well I based it on Kingdom Hearts.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10237550/1/Two-of-A-Kind

You can check it out if.you want! My writing is really rusty though

Thanks for the link! Hey don't worry about rusty this and that. Hell, you should take a gander at mine. Rusty doesn't even come close. :embarrassed:

Anyways, that sounds good. Oh I'm also (sometimes) into fantasy genre. There's this ma-hoo-si-ve story I'm writing right now. But most of the time, I'd think 'bout mysteries and thrillers. Go figure, right? :lol:

Thanks for the link! Hey don't worry about rusty this and that. Hell, you should take a gander at mine. Rusty doesn't even come close. :embarrassed:

Anyways, that sounds good. Oh I'm also (sometimes) into fantasy genre. There's this ma-hoo-si-ve story I'm writing right now. But most of the time, I'd think 'bout mysteries and thrillers. Go figure, right? :lol:

Well this fanfic I am writing is all about fantasy and mystery and thrill! link/PM me yours and I'd love to read it this weekend ^^

Well this fanfic I am writing is all about fantasy and mystery and thrill! link/PM me yours and I'd love to read it this weekend ^^

...I'd love that!! Oh wait, I don't have it up on any of the so-called "writer's websites". It's all in .doc files on my laptop. Argh.

Now what? :confused:

...I'd love that!! Oh wait, I don't have it up on any of the so-called "writer's websites". It's all in .doc files on my laptop. Argh.

Now what? :confused:

XD PM me and I'll give you my email later on ^^

I also have a small bit of a novel I started on a HarperCollins site... But that was a long time ago now...

XD PM me and I'll give you my email later on ^^

I also have a small bit of a novel I started on a HarperCollins site... But that was a long time ago now...

...A Harper Collins, eh? A budding publisher? Nice.

To be perfectly honest with you, I did kinda self-publish an ebook on Amazon Kindle store not too long ago. But I'm not expecting a miracle off that one - I speed wrote that baby in two and a half month, a 200 page thriller with a ton of bad langauges. :embarrassed:

But the one I'm writing now, I'm paying it a good deal of attention. And so far, I have fairly early draft of first couple of chapters. It's an original story, of a fantasy war, some romance, tragedy, ton of action, maybe a little humor here and there. If you are still interested, I could email you those two chapters - but be warned, they are still in pretty rough shape. :D

...A Harper Collins, eh? A budding publisher? Nice.

To be perfectly honest with you, I did kinda self-publish an ebook on Amazon Kindle store not too long ago. But I'm not expecting a miracle off that one - I speed wrote that baby in two and a half month, a 200 page thriller with a ton of bad langauges. :embarrassed:

But the one I'm writing now, I'm paying it a good deal of attention. And so far, I have fairly early draft of first couple of chapters. It's an original story, of a fantasy war, some romance, tragedy, ton of action, maybe a little humor here and there. If you are still interested, I could email you those two chapters - but be warned, they are still in pretty rough shape. :D

They used to (not sure if they do now) have this system where you write books and other budding authors and selling authors would read and rate the books. At the end of each month, the top three books would be set to be published and a contract would be written up.
And sure, that sounds good to me!

I still write when I get the time but months go by and I don't type a single word. The themes of my short stories are quite complex and I often go back to a chapter and rewrite it. I'm yet to finish the collection of shorts I have because I'm not sure where to end which is my biggest problem.
I've no intention of publishing at the moment, they are purely for my own enjoyment and allow me an outlet for my musings on the topic without writing a full academic style paper.

I still write when I get the time but months go by and I don't type a single word. The themes of my short stories are quite complex and I often go back to a chapter and rewrite it. I'm yet to finish the collection of shorts I have because I'm not sure where to end which is my biggest problem.
I've no intention of publishing at the moment, they are purely for my own enjoyment and allow me an outlet for my musings on the topic without writing a full academic style paper.

...If you don't mind me asking, what are they about, your short stories?

...If you don't mind me asking, what are they about, your short stories?

They're based on ethics and philosophy of robotics based on Asimov's 3 Laws. I wrote an Nth Law which is what I base the stories on. They're very dialogue heavy stories with little description outside of the dialogue and each is no more than a handful of pages. The story (ethical or philosophical point) varies from one to the next but they feature the same core universe and characters throughout.

They're based on ethics and philosophy of robotics based on Asimov's 3 Laws. I wrote an Nth Law which is what I base the stories on. They're very dialogue heavy stories with little description outside of the dialogue and each is no more than a handful of pages. The story (ethical or philosophical point) varies from one to the next but they feature the same core universe and characters throughout.

...Sounds interesting. I must admit, I'm not a massive sci-fi fan, and never could get into the genre easily.
The way you described them though, sounds like an anthology of sorts.

I made a series, actually (since '06). I soon however, ended up converting the story into individual games in RPG Maker.

To all you budding . . . and 'aspiring' writers:

Publishing, today, is not the same as it used to be.
In fact, the revolution started as soon as Apple slammed a desktop on a table and told us that - in a commercial that is still taken as a benchmark in advertising, Clio or no Clio.
One phone call is all that's needed to have your book published.

So first - some tips.

Write, write, write. Forums are good places for that (after all we're all here because we're somewhat literary-minded) but it is also good to switch off the world and get into the one one is trying to create - and you can write in the language you like best. Translations can be made.
When you're not writing, read. Read, read and read. Read the authors you like, read the authors whose voice you find the most comfortable.
Learn a new word everyday; use it in conversation, use it in writing.
Get to a library and browse the books on grammar, syntax, idiomatic language, and so on, (until you write as freely as speaking) as well as a book on manuscript preparation. (That latter sounds scary but you'll be surprised how fun and easy it is to prepare a manuscript digitally - unlike in days of yore.)
If you are wanting to write a novel, a good novel is around 60,000 - 80,000 words - plan to write at least 3 pages a day if you want to complete it in 3 months.
Don't do yoga, don't smoke grass, don't start drinking, don't run around yakking about how you're going to became a famous author, just focus on the little world you're creating and write.
Finish the book, reread, and make any corrections you like. Don't go googah over that part, or else you'll cut and chop so much that you will inevitably never complete it or else mutilate it beyond the point of recognition.

Once you've finished your 'book' back up several copies, get your data onto a USB and that would be the first step.

Next step? Give a decent Digital Print Center a call. That's all there is to having a book with your name on it in your hands.

That's the bare-bones of the matter today.

Publishing is not the same today as it was - just as much as the music scene is not the same as it was.

But some other caveats:
You're not going to make a living out of it.
Unless you write a series of novels and they become million-sellers, and that is going to take some time, a lot of luck, and an expensive marketing and distribution team, you're not going to make a living out of it.
The other way you can stumble into the money quick is if your manuscript is picked up by someone who wants to make a movie out of it - and even that too is iffy; the movie can bomb. Tippy Hedren and her husband spent 17 million to make a movie and made 2 million out of it.
A good editor is worth their weight in gold, and if you can find a friend that is qualified, or a publishing house (many provide cheap digital printing services) that will supply an editor because you are engaging their services, well, then, all the better. Sometimes an editor can be engaged to edit the book for a small fee.
Digital Print Centers today will even provide a cover, recommend a title, help you distribute and market the book (for a nominal fee) and will even give you a print run as low as 50 copies.

As to whether you are going to become as famous as Stephen King is another matter altogether. That depends on your book being passed around - and readers start looking for the next thing you've written.

John Grisham sold his first book out of the trunk of his car in the churchyard after Mass.
Well . . . that was a good place to find a congregation of human consciousness anyway.

Apart from internet dungeons that masquerade as forums.

Back