Do you write stories?

• Thread starter Lee
  • 351 comments
Well I used to until I got turned down for a screenwriting course, which completely turned me off doing it. I'd rather dedicate myself to graphic design, as I'm more interested in that.

I'm pretty good at writing, generally speaking. However, I really don't like doing it. I have many ideas for novels, & even a few non fictional books, but, I doubt I'll ever do anything about it. Also, considering the extremely low pay most writers get nowadays, it seems like something not worth investing my time in.

I had ideas about doing a book for children before. When doing a story for kids, it is very important to consider certain topics and how you explain them. Advanced vocabulary and certain powerful topics can be tough to explain or share when marketing to kids. I mostly thought of something more like a comic book or something. You know- big pictures, not a lot of text. I haven't developed anything as of yet, but it was something I was thinking about as a sometimes author.

As I have been learning how to do 2D animation, I came across motion comics from Dragonbones Pro. I also thought of maybe developing a comic story. While I love Batman and Spider Man, I am not really a comic fan. While this is off the topic of developing stories, there is as much of story-telling and story-writing value in motion comics as any usual short story.

The last thing I want to share is that I began looking back at my ambitious sort of story. I sort of was re-imagining the main character for that story, giving that character a name. Nothing much story-wise has changed as of this post.

Reviving for no discernable reason, but am storyboarding my fan-rewrite of Season 8 of Game of Thrones.

Basic things to bear in mind:
  • In my head, each episode would be roughly ten-fifteen minutes longer than what we got, depending on what's happening. The two big battles are closer to their real-world runtimes, but still lengthened.
  • Eight episodes in this version.
    S8E1-E3 are broadly similar to what we got, but with bits added in to make things (ideally) less confusing and implausible.
    S8E4 is purely an aftermath episode of the Battle of Winterfell, there is a wedding here.
    S8E5 takes place after a several month timeskip and builds up to the Battle of King's Landing.
    S8E6 is the battle itself.
    S8E7 concerns that fight's immediate aftermath and a certain character's trial for treason.
    S8E8 is another sizable timeskip, this time fifteen years or so, which SHOULD be a vague clue as to my version of the endgame.
  • Speaking of episodes, have working names for half the episodes. Only title I'm gonna keep for sure is A Dream of Spring, take a wild guess which episode that applies to.
  • Generally speaking, I'm keeping only one or two of the broader plotpoints from the real-world series finale intact, but with considerable modifications.
  • Pod the Rod's glorious rendition of Jenny of Oldstones gets to the second stanza/verse and chorus. Seriously, that was one of my favorite moments of the show.

The past two e-Books I created were both in the realm of health and wellness. One e-Book I started up recently is also part of the health and wellness genre. I started work on an e-Book that I had initially planned as a poster to be bought and printed. I felt the need to try to offer a book or pamphlet to be shared in schools and in some other health-related settings. I wanted to discuss caring for those who have mental health issues.

As the creator of the "Depression and Anxiety Thread," I began thinking about all of the sort of mental health issues in the lives of others as well as in my own life. I lately have considered myself a mental health advocate. It is something I can hopefully reflect in my own literary work.

Outside of this, I had another idea for an e-Book. This idea I haven't developed into even a draft would be in the realm of science fiction. It involves modern medicine followed by some tampering that leads to madness. Again- they are only thoughts in my mind. No brainstorm or draft on this idea has materialized.

I sometimes have phases in my creative work, and so I decided to tap back into the e-Book realm for a spell.

I did a series of silly long posts a couple of years ago in the GT Sport Forum which some people kindly called satire and said were funny (other not so). In them I pretended to be a GT Sport journalist who was writing a book on the history of Kazunori Yamauchi and his Gran Turismo journey.

Then I thought to my myself, why not have a go at it. So I did, I sat down and... nothing happened. I didn't have a clue how to start and I gave up almost instantly. I have admiration for anyone that can turn an idea into a fully fledge work requiring research, patience, effort and persistence. I don't have what it takes even though I'm sure I would enjoy the process!

I don't know... is the challenge of being an author more about trying to gather ideas or trying to put everything together in a proper literary package? At times, I've learned it's great to have ideas, just don't have too many ideas. Use what you feel works best for your project(s) and not try to overload yourself or your work too much.

Gran Turismo SPORT seems like a good base for some kind of story. I'm thinking that as long as you can put together a decent story, you should be fine with your work. You then have to think about how to tell the story and hammer down the important details. At one point, I imagined a Gran Turismo story based on Gran Turismo 1. You know- going from License Test after License Test, and from the first Sunday Cup race to the final Gran Turismo World Championship race. But again, I never had any real elements to devise even a rough draft of a story.

So to all of you GTPlanet authors... keep at it!

After countless lazy sharing ideas and never doing anything with it, I've gotten up and decided to take a crack at.

Currently in the process of writing a fantasy story with the Prologue and first 2 chapters which introduce the 3 protagonists having finished drafts with a few revisions. I really want to get these right before continuing as these do introduce the reader to the 3 characters which will be constantly present with my idea for the story is to be told episodically with the chapters each having their own story contributing to the the main one. l so if anyone wants to take a read and provide feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it

Attachments

• Prologue.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 3
  • X - Day 00.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 3
  • X - Day 01.pdf
    131.5 KB · Views: 3
After countless lazy sharing ideas and never doing anything with it, I've gotten up and decided to take a crack at.

Currently in the process of writing a fantasy story with the Prologue and first 2 chapters which introduce the 3 protagonists having finished drafts with a few revisions. I really want to get these right before continuing as these do introduce the reader to the 3 characters which will be constantly present with my idea for the story is to be told episodically with the chapters each having their own story contributing to the the main one. l so if anyone wants to take a read and provide feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it
Reads like homoerotic furry fan fiction. Great job.

The robots have kind of made written media an obsolete pastime.

Reads like homoerotic furry fan fiction. Great job.

The robots have kind of made written media an obsolete pastime.
Furry, sure. Homoerotic, where (closest I have is friends hugging each other)? :lol:

I wouldn't say A.I have made writing obsolete, probably the ones that you just consume and never question how stuff like characters and their story arcs cough Dragon Ball cough, but I have hard to time looking at stories that I love and A.I being able to replicate the quality and character details.

I've toyed with the idea of writing a story for a while but have never actually put pen to paper/fingers to keyboard to start actually writing. I've had a few ideas for games I'd like to make that would probably work just as well, maybe better, as stories because they're more like jokes than actual games.

Like, one such idea is just a pun on "First person shooter", the idea being an ecoterrorist goes back in time Terminator-style to kill the first person to prevent the detrimental impact humanity has had, but I couldn't work out how to make it a fun game so maybe it's just a dumb sci fi short story instead? Although having said that I've just worked out that if it was a game, you could be the Kyle Reece of the story, trying to work out where the Terminator was going to appear in repeated hops back through time.

See, I'm fairly confident I can share this idea here because if someone were to rip it off, we'd both be ripping off the plot of Terminator instead of just me. It also doesn't help that I haven't actually read a book in years, think the last one was Mona Lisa Overdrive in 2019? Oh and I know enough about writing to know that good writing is hard and enough about myself to know that I lack talent. I'm OK with that though.

good writing is hard
Indeed. Just look at Dune. The story is fantastic. The words on the page felt awkward and clumsy. It didn’t help that I read directly Dune after LotR, which is masterfully written.

The short last story concept I had jotted down was about a hellish life on board a massive space vessel in an after-earth setting. Doomed to wander the solar system with no terrestrial home, the refugees attempt to survive the hostilities of a place unfit for human life.

I imagined the sweltering heat & noise onboard caused by the life support systems, and the dangers of simple being in space, with its mad radiation and endless expanse. I hadn’t thought up a story, I just liked the setting.

Well you had me entertained the whole way through so you must be doing something right. Visualising is a bit hard when you don't know what the species look like, but that's not a strike against your writing because it's very good. One thing I noticed is that you used the words floor and wall instead of ground and rockface. It sounds a bit weird when describing a natural environment. Also, I have a question about the lore: how can you be given the name of Radar if such a thing doesn't exist in the world you've created? I just find it funny because there's no obvious mention of any modern technology.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back in mid-2016, I watched the 16th Pokemon movie shortly after the release of Pokemon Go and became obsessed with Mewtwo. A few months later I discovered Shadow Mewtwo in Pokken Tournament, but upon learning the story I was left a bit confused: why would Mewtwo, an all-powerful monster, sacrifice himself? In my view, he's supposed to be a bastard so in a geography class I started writing about the aftermath of Mewtwo blowing up the facility he was made in, but with some gory details. However instead of it being in the Pokemon world, I had it set in the real world. As Mewtwo is psychic, I ran with the idea that he'd kill people by crushing their skulls and turning their brains into mince meat. Gruesome I know. From there, I thought: why not have a story where a government has to make their own Shadow Mewtwo to defeat the real one? That's when "Project Shadowhunt" was born. I ended up writing A LOT just for the fun of it in 2017-2018, but last year I decided to revisit the idea sans the Pokemon references. Here's some information and the start of the story.

Language warning

Attachments

• Project Shadowhunt draft.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well you had me entertained the whole way through so you must be doing something right. Visualising is a bit hard when you don't know what the species look like, but that's not a strike against your writing because it's very good. One thing I noticed is that you used the words floor and wall instead of ground and rockface. It sounds a bit weird when describing a natural environment. Also, I have a question about the lore: how can you be given the name of Radar if such a thing doesn't exist in the world you've created? I just find it funny because there's no obvious mention of any modern technology.
Appreciate the feedback, terminology is a point I never considered in writing though not sure if rockface over wall is a good fit, while I definitely see ground over floor when the entire story is almost been outside at the moment

Technology isn't out of the question for this world since there isn't much that is currently explored, though admittedly, I focused more on the characters themselves and how they interact with each other than the world with the most forward planning I've done on the world being the clans, the clans location and the Jewel Rings (bit of a spoiler). I could change Radars name but can't think of one that still feels just as appropriate to the intelligent, hypersensitive character and I'm not going to shoehorn world building elements to make a simple name fit unless it was relevant to the story. You do bring a point that is a bit of bind situation but I don't think its worth addressing without thinking of a more suited name to the character

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback, terminology is a point I never considered in writing though not sure if rockface over wall is a good fit, while I definitely see ground over floor when the entire story is almost been outside at the moment

Technology isn't out of the question for this world since there isn't much that is currently explored, though admittedly, I focused more on the characters themselves and how they interact with each other than the world with the most forward planning I've done on the world being the clans, the clans location and the Jewel Rings (bit of a spoiler). I could change Radars name but can't think of one that still feels just as appropriate to the intelligent, hypersensitive character and I'm not going to shoehorn world building elements to make a simple name fit unless it was relevant to the story. You do bring a point that is a bit of bind situation but I don't think its worth addressing without thinking of a more suited name to the character
I'm not saying that you should shoehorn any world building elements into the story if it's meaningless. I just think it'd be nice to have a small reference to the technology itself, but I won't hold you to account if you don't have one. Your reasoning for the name is sound and I can't think of anything better myself. Also, did you read my work at all?

I'm not saying that you should shoehorn any world building elements into the story if it's meaningless. I just think it'd be nice to have a small reference to the technology itself, but I won't hold you to account if you don't have one. Your reasoning for the name is sound and I can't think of anything better myself. Also, did you read my work at all?
I'm not against technoligy but given the characters are just surviving together and starting to build a clan from scratch in the desert, there isn't a use for them right now, maybe some broken down ones amongst Ardors pile could be something to throw in just to hint that its a thing

Took a gander at it just now but honestly had trouble with all the posted notes, which there was a name you have at the beginning which made it difficult to follow through correctly.

Took a gander at it just now but honestly had trouble with all the posted notes, which there was a name you have at the beginning which made it difficult to follow through correctly.
-The person who I referred to as “The Professor” will not be one because they aren’t old enough yet. I think “The Scientist” would work for the time being.

Ignore this and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Some decent writers in this thread

With this guy probably being the most talented.

At COTW, we’re always recruiting 😎

@Com Fox
I've come up with names for Mystic A and Mystic B - Miguano and Miguandos. Miguano is a combination of Mystic, Iguana and Uno, or 1 in Spanish. Miguandos is a combination of Mystic, Iguana, Komodo and Dos, or 2 in Spanish.
This is Miguano
_7cc0b393-54db-485a-9884-4cf9d19c7b7e.jpg

This is Miguandos
_87732545-76ad-457c-bc5f-6f7c488f254d.jpg

They’d make good Pokémon.
Well the whole Project Shadowhunt thing started as a Pokemon fan fiction about Mewtwo in the real world. Naturally I can't publish something with copyrighted characters so I came up with my own alternatives. The basic story is this: a group of scientists discover a "mystic iguana" in the Amazon Rainforest and they name it Miguano. After doing some DNA testing, a totally alien genetic code is revealed and it bamboozles everyone. When they get back to the lab, they conduct a few experiments and they end up creating their own clone without any genetic tampering by accident. The person funding the research, a friend of one of the Professor's scientists that I will refer to as The Boss (who's actually a crook, but no-one knows) hears about this and asks if he can have one made for him with more strength. The Professor says no but after The Boss puts down an extraordinary offer for a massive payday for him and all his scientists, they agree to the creation of what would become Miguandos. The Professor later discovers that The Boss is a crook and walks out, whilst all the other scientists stay. When Miguandos loses his mind in the lab, he destroys it and kills everyone. This sets up the chaos that unfolds in the story, eventually leading to the creation of Project Shadowhunt.

Last edited:
Back