Does Gran Turismo Have an Exclusive Toyota Deal?

Pride coming before money, though? That's a dangerous gamble for any company.

Yes it would be, but i think licensing money from games dont play a role in Toyotas economy. Its propably purely marketing or even sponsorship from toyota to pdi. PDI must have good relations to Japanese car industry. Nissan, Toyota and Honda seem to like working with PDI (or Sony). Gran Turismo has been working with the branding of Japanese sportcars since 90s.

Until Toyota or PD come out and say, we don't know anything for sure. This article is all just speculation with some supporting evidence to back it up.

I mean PCARS2 has one Toyota road car in it and it's not Japanese at all.

I think mobile games have Toyota license too during that period?
like Assoluto Racing it created around 2016 and have Toyota https://assoluto.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Toyota , I forget when last time Toyota on Assetto Corsa DLC 2017 or 2016

Also aren't we (as GTS players) helping develop the Supra with the Championship in the game? More speculation as to why PD and Toyota and exclusive outside Japan especially.

It's certainly presenting issues with the Manufacturer Series, hence the lack of Official Season unlike Nations. There are 25 Manufacturers in total, but only 1 gets the special red carpet treatment which is to the massive detriment of the long term health of the game as a competitive platform. The FIA deal doesn't last forever...

While true that the Paris event definitely had Toyota written all over it (bet no one saw that coming after all the PD/Nissan memes), there is also that Porsche Esports series as well. Not sure I'd say that's a massive detriment if PD now have two Manufacterer specific series happening (on top of the recently announced Super Formula series).

Hell if anything, I'm wondering how many more of these E-Sports Deals they have.

Last edited:
Simple, possible reason: the visual damage model's limitations.
Forza, Need For Speed, Project Cars etc. have visual damage as a large feature of the game. However, Polyphony's games don't because they chose to not have heavy visual damage so they could get more cars licenced.

Except Forza has way more licenced cars

You have to make sure that every game that you license the game to, also fulfills the terms that was set up in the license agreement. Less games, less to worry about.

They have huge departments just dealing with licensing all day long. They can handle a handful of games easily.

I think it does help a car manufacturer to do deals like this, as it will limit the brands exposer massively.

While GT-Sport does have a healthy number of Toyota's, they still have not added the most important ones (to me that is), which are of course the TS101 and the mighty TS202 aka the GT-One from the '98 and '99 sports car series and Le Man. If it wasn't for the tyres failing on 2 or 3 of their cars during '99, they would have won Le Man's as they were just untouchable with how bloody quick that car was.

I still wonder if T10/PG's quixotic SS censorship crusade didn't play a role, since the last-gen Celica SS-I in FM6 was referred to in the narration as the "Celica Super Sport," when it actually stands for Super Strut One. Of course, the FM5 narration called the same car the "SS I" (as in the letter that sounds like the vision organ), so maybe Toyota just got tired of their particular brand of gaijin idiocy.

Quite possible, that is what a manufacturer would consider a violation of their own branding guidelines, which are usually treated as a legal requirements &I can also see them interpreting it as T10 trying to retcon their history to suit their own preferences.

Generally manufacturers never take kindly to their stuff being mis-labelled or incorrectly described, and I've seen sponsorship deals terminated over similar things.

It's like being Renault, telling someone to use the new versions of the Renault logo, but then having that someone revert to using the logo from the 90's because they personally don't like the new one.

The news page has just been updated with the new Manufacturer season details, along with this:

World Tours
・A total of 12 manufacturers will be selected to participate in a World Tour: in addition to the Official Partner Manufacturers, the highest ranked manufacturers in the 'Global Manufacturer Ranking' will also be selected.

Currently for the 2019 Series, Toyota is an Official Partner (other Official Partners may be added during the Series.)

This would have been the right time to introduce the GT4 Supra Comcept. Having both Supras available along with the road car is a total win for the brand.

When it comes to mobile games even Real Racing 3 is having trouble with getting more Toyotas because the game has not updated its Toyota list.

All the game has is the TS040 and the Toyota Nascars there has been numerous updates ever since but not one Toyota car made it to the updates.

WMMT 6 was released on 2018, and new Initial D arcade game that contains AE86 and more Toyota cars is released on this week.
I don't think exclusive deal is there.

Information: WMMT and Initial D don't have any damage model.

Also aren't we (as GTS players) helping develop the Supra with the Championship in the game? More speculation as to why PD and Toyota and exclusive outside Japan especially.
If GTS players are being used to develop the Supra, then it only needs to be in GTS. It doesn't need to be exclusive.

Yeah, but the point doesn't really hold up at all, because they really don't have more cars licensed than Forza, let alone themselves in past iterations.

My point is, GT has Toyota road cars because of restricted light visual damage (my speculation)
Meanwhile Forza doesn't have Toyota road cars, and it has heavy visual damage. (my speculation)

I am struggling to see what you are trying to say. I'm only talking about Toyota road cars alone.

My point is, GT has Toyota road cars because of restricted light visual damage (my speculation)
Meanwhile Forza doesn't have Toyota road cars, and it has heavy visual damage. (my speculation)
Pcars has a Toyota road car and it has extensive damage.

I am struggling to see what you are trying to say. I'm only talking about Toyota road cars alone.
My point was addressing the fact that you said more cars licensed, so I mistakenly took that as you meaning for the game as a whole. I see what you mean now, but at the same time, the fact that Pcars2 has the GT86 and has the most extensive damage model of all these games, I'm not so sure that's the case.

Double post but I found some resources based on what I was trying to remember:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/y88pl3z/

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...ars-from-this-generation-of-racing-games.aspx

I also remember some roadside ads and signs taking shots at Toyota’s decision in Payback.

Nothing against you man but those articles are baseless speculation and fake news. Those articles are taking quotes from a decade ago (which is forever in the business world) and trying to use them as an argument in 2019. The fact is Toyota had no problem up until 2016 with allowing their cars in all franchises, with damage and modification.

Another strange issue in this Toyota debacle is that they gave Kei Miura (The Rocket Bunny/Pandem dude) full access to the new Supra well in advance and allowed him to craft some an extreme widebody aero kit that is already being used by multiple cars in Japan's D1GP, so I'm not sure it can be wholly said Toyota has a "huge" problem with seeing their cars modified either.

To put it bluntly with others pointing out Toyota is still in new Initial D, Wangan games ect (all Japanese products) the most likely situation in my opinion is not a signed exclusivity agreement, but simple nationalistic favoritism with other Japanese companies, and honestly that ****ing sucks.

To put it bluntly with others pointing out Toyota is still in new Initial D, Wangan games ect (all Japanese products) the most likely situation in my opinion is not a signed exclusivity agreement, but simple nationalistic favoritism with other Japanese companies, and honestly that ****ing sucks.
Now this I'm leaning towards at. Kinda convinced that Toyota is just being biased at this point. I'm sensing more of favoritism of some sort here rather than a exclusive license.

Toyota has turned into the lead in a harem anime. Whenever the lead male character has to choose between the love of a Japanese girl and a non-Japanese girl, he always chooses the Japanese girl. A L W A Y S. Because to do otherwise would be to reject Japan itself. There's a second part to this formula in which if the choice is between a Japanese girl and a supernatural girl (goddess, demon, android, time-traveler, alien, etc) the Japanese girl always loses. It allows the writers to have their escapist fantasy without rejecting Japan, because who can compete with that, right? So it's supernatural girl>Japanese girl>non-Japanese girl. Toyota is in that first scenario of choosing between a Japanese girlfriend (PD), and all the non-Japanese girls in their harem. Of course the Japanese girlfriend is going to win.

Back