Does Gran Turismo Have an Exclusive Toyota Deal?

PC2 also has Toyota road cars as well, the GT86 in two road car variants.

AC also has a good number of Toyota road cars.

However, both of these were released before the suspected exclusivity deal.
You forgot to mention that the point of the Toyota deal is that while they can put their racing cars in the games, the road car however have significant restrictions, namely the game cannot use custom body / exterior parts (aka no bodykit, no wings, no custom bumper, etc).

Big name publishers like EA (NFS), Turn 10 (Forza), and Ubisoft (The Crew 2) refuses to oblige to it and instead just omit their cars altogether. PCars 2, Asseto Corsa, GTSport do have quite lot of Toyota road cars but remember in that they all didn't feature body part customizations.

Nevertheless, it's still sucks for the players in the end.

You forgot to mention that the point of the Toyota deal is that while they can put their racing cars in the games, the road car however have significant restrictions, namely the game cannot use custom body / exterior parts (aka no bodykit, no wings, no custom bumper, etc).

Big name publishers like EA (NFS), Turn 10 (Forza), and Ubisoft (The Crew 2) refuses to oblige to it and instead just omit their cars altogether. PCars 2, Asseto Corsa, GTSport do have quite lot of Toyota road cars but remember in that they all didn't feature body part customizations.

Nevertheless, it's still sucks for the players in the end.
The Rocket Bunny Gt86 is a cheeky way around that in PC2, as while a GT4 version of the car does exist, it's not a works car (nor sponsored by Rocket Bunny).

Whatever the reason is for only appearing in GTS, it's bunk, and anti-player. I can accept the odd "exclusive" car in these games, but cordoning off entire manufacturers behind exclusivity - especially mainstream ones like Toyota - is something no fan of any racing game should support as a practice.

All it does is invite an "arms race" of trying to lock down certain manufacturers to one title or another.

The question is just whether this is Toyota being ridiculous, or PD/Sony actively seeking to make a deal. Honestly, neither would surprise me - Toyota, after all, allegedly being the company that said they didn't want their cars in games any more because it would cause people not to buy real Toyotas (which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard).

It would surprise me if PD requested it. As KAz says, many manufacturers come to them. This isn't like a call out for VGT projects. One of the interviews , maybe it was with gtplanet, Kaz mentioned something to the effect, he didn't realise a certain car brand was asking to be in the game. Over 20 years, PD don't appear to be looking for exclusive rights to a brand.

Toyota being ridiculous, or PD/Sony actively seeking to make a deal. Honestly, neither would surprise me
Both correct.

But the deal is not an exclusive deal. Otherwise Project Cars, Asseto Corsa, and some other racing games wouldn't have any Toyota or Lexus road cars.

My take is that the Toyota contract costs are on scale, thus while may be reasonable for smaller companies, but not so for big companies. SMS (PCars) and Kunos (AC) got a leeway since they're basically some small developers compared to EA, Turn 10, PD, and Ubisoft, and thus less costly.

PD on the other hand offer Toyota some deals, some of which ends up being in form of Gran Turismo's Toyota Supra Cup and also the early "reveal" of the Supra A90 GT3, which is basically an ad for Toyota Supra A90. (The fact that both are Japanese may play apart. Japan tend to be very nationalistic, no doubt about it.)

Again on top of the "no custom parts" clause.

Still loss to the players but putting all blame to PD is rather groundless.

Both correct.

But the deal is not an exclusive deal. Otherwise Project Cars, Asseto Corsa, and some other racing games wouldn't have any Toyota or Lexus road cars.

My take is that the Toyota contract costs are on scale, thus while may be reasonable for smaller companies, but not so for big companies. SMS (PCars) and Kunos (AC) got a leeway since they're basically some small developers compared to EA, Turn 10, PD, and Ubisoft, and thus less costly.

PD on the other hand offer Toyota some deals, some of which ends up being in form of Gran Turismo's Toyota Supra Cup and also the early "reveal" of the Supra A90 GT3, which is basically an ad for Toyota Supra A90. (The fact that both are Japanese may play apart. Japan tend to be very nationalistic, no doubt about it.)

Again on top of the "no custom parts" clause.

Still loss to the players but putting all blame to PD is rather groundless.

I didn't put all blame on PD. In fact, I specifically didn't determine who was at fault - I said neither party would surprise me. And it being Toyota would be the least surprising thing ever, since car manufacturers seem to lack all common sense when it comes to instances of not licensing out their cars to certain games, and the goofy reasons why.

If toyota is acting like this not our problem they can miss out for all I care for the dumbest reasons they dont want to be in videogames.

I wonder whats next sometimes we are better off with fictional cars to hit these manufacturers the reasons they give not to be in a certain game are stupid.

I still dont believe PD has an exclusive licence until both parties confirm it. Pd has nothing to hide here.

I recall back in 2001 that Toyota did collaborate with Sony to create a concept car named 'Toyota Pod' that would then appear playable in GT Concept with an exclusive one-make race on a modified layout of SSR5. It's a weird but unique car, showing feelings with coloured LEDs, yellow for HAPPY (when winning), blue for SAD (when you crash it) and red for ANGRY (driving it aggressively), and it has an antenna acting as a tail which wags. Since PD may have an exclusive deal with Toyota, I wonder if they still have the rights to this car.
2001_Toyota_POD_01.jpg

I recall back in 2001 that Toyota did collaborate with Sony to create a concept car named 'Toyota Pod' that would then appear playable in GT Concept with an exclusive one-make race on a modified layout of SSR5. It's a weird but unique car, showing feelings with coloured LEDs, yellow for HAPPY (when winning), blue for SAD (when you crash it) and red for ANGRY (driving it aggressively), and it has an antenna acting as a tail which wags. Since PD may have an exclusive deal with Toyota, I wonder if they still have the rights to this car.
2001_Toyota_POD_01.jpg

I'd be happy if the Pod Race came back to GT in the next update :lol:

This Reminds me of EA's Infamous Deal with Porsche where everyone else had to go with RUF, This would be all fine and dandy if someone made their own cars using Toyota Bodies (Not to mention some stuff isn't completely gone: the GT86 is still in games as the Subaru BRZ and the New Supra is in some games as the BMW Z4... albeit with a different body.), But I Can see why people are mad about this... However, I Can just save up for a PS4 and a copy of GT Sport and play my Favorite Toyota's there instead of Waiting for the contract to be up (Whenever that will be), But to be honest with you, Games like Forza have been Lacking lately With Horizon 4's Infamous Lego Expansion Update still making people Angry over it, Motorsport 7's Mysterious Continued Support and more and more people flocking to Either Other Franchises or Older Forza Games, But it could've gone a lot worse, GTSport is a AAA First Party Game that looks Beautiful and is probably great to play too, It Could've gone the way to Lesser Franchises, and this isn't some sort of "Gran Turismo Fanboy" Opinion, because i've played games from all Angles, Latest or not. (Gran Turismo 6, Forza Motorsport 7, Need For Speed, etc), If I envisioned an Exclusive Contract it would've gone the same way it did.

So Yes, it is most likely that an Exclusive Contract was made and I Hate to sound cocky, but if You Really want to mess about with Toyota's, Just buy GT Sport, I Haven't tried it but i've heard great things and I Think it'll probably be a Worthwhile Investment.

Why are You Capitalizing every Second Word

And god, what a piss weak troll take.

So Yes, it is most likely that an Exclusive Contract was made and I Hate to sound cocky, but if You Really want to mess about with Toyota's, Just buy GT Sport, I Haven't tried it but i've heard great things and I Think it'll probably be a Worthwhile Investment.

So in other words, 'I don't own GT Sport but I still hate Forza, so this exclusivity deal is good, every other franchise can go pound sand'

It truly is amazing how when the shoe is on the other foot (Mainly, that an exclusive licensing deal is done with GT instead of anybody else) how some elements of this forum will hand wave it away as a good thing.

I posted in the Super GT thread, KCMG tweeted their 2020 Supra GT500 livery. Wouldn't be surprised to see that coming to GTS soon.

PC2 also has Toyota road cars as well, the GT86 in two road car variants.

AC also has a good number of Toyota road cars.

However, both of these were released before the suspected exclusivity deal.

Project CARS 2 maybe contributed to the fact that the game is published by Bandai Namco, itself is a Japanese developer. Same goes for Infinity Vector's Assoluto Racing, which they are based in Britain but have most of their operations based in Japan.

Officially, Toyota Motor Corporation has no concrete plans to license its model range to any other games besides Gran Turismo Sport at the moment.

GT Sport makes a big deal about finally adding Porsche in the game. Now Toyota is acting like Porsche. I guess this is Toyota.... leading the way.

I'm a huge Toyota fanboy. And I only play GT Sport. And even I think Toyota is heading an awful direction.

This seems quite absurd. Only a very, very small number (negligible from a marketing point of view) of users will decide whether or not to buy a driving game due to the presence of Toyota cars. That privilege belong only perhaps to Ferrari as a halo brand and the most important racing series. Having a significant number of F1, DTM, LeMans Series or NASCAR cars can move some sales, but an Auris, Camry or Hilux is not going to raise any interest in the public.
In any case, if it were an exclusive agreement, they should advertise it to be worth something, not keep it a secret.

I think something to note is that the games that were released after 2017 are all part of ongoing videogame series, and could have contracts that are still active. Still, I do hope we see some modded Toyotas (other than those from the TRD & GRMN labels) in the next game, more specifically ones from tuners that are known to work closely with Toyota, like Sard. I'd love to get some of the original cars that Sard made, too.

Back