Does Gran Turismo Have an Exclusive Toyota Deal?

Yeah, one of those things that are, you know, legally binding. Whats your point?

My point is that for us gamers how it works out it the end is more important than how it looks on paper. Kind of like how you still see this "Xbox One console exclusive" thingy but know you can play them on Win10 PC as well.

Toyota has turned into the lead in a harem anime. Whenever the lead male character has to choose between the love of a Japanese girl and a non-Japanese girl, he always chooses the Japanese girl. A L W A Y S. Because to do otherwise would be to reject Japan itself. There's a second part to this formula in which if the choice is between a Japanese girl and a supernatural girl (goddess, demon, android, time-traveler, alien, etc) the Japanese girl always loses. It allows the writers to have their escapist fantasy without rejecting Japan, because who can compete with that, right? So it's supernatural girl>Japanese girl>non-Japanese girl. Toyota is in that first scenario of choosing between a Japanese girlfriend (PD), and all the non-Japanese girls in their harem. Of course the Japanese girlfriend is going to win.

???. Seems easier to just say that Japanese people like other Japanese people best.

My point is that for us gamers how it works out it the end is more important than how it looks on paper. Kind of like how you still see this "Xbox One console exclusive" thingy but know you can play them on Win10 PC as well.
But adding "on paper" doesn't change anything, because that's literally how things work. It's a legal binding contract, and EA had the exclusive rights to it, them and only them. It's not the same thing because it's not like Xbox is sub-licensing games to PC, because they are both being distributed by the same source.

How it worked out in the end is that EA held the exclusive license, making it hard for anyone to actually get the vehicles in game without paying up a hefty sum if they wanted a sub-license.

???. Seems easier to just say that Japanese people like other Japanese people best.
Perhaps it's the result of nationalism, which is no stranger to the Japanese rather than an exclusive deal. Just look at the sale stats of Xbox in Japan...
@huiop2 pretty much just made my point for me. The trope I outlined? Toyota apparently refusing to license to non-Japanese companies? It's all part and parcel with Japanese nationalism.

Am I the only one that thinks that Toyota's excuse of a reason is actually a distraction to cover up a marketing strategy? I believe that Toyota has taken a page from Porsche's book after looking at what happened to them. When FM6 and FH3 came out there was so much talk about whether Porsche will be in it since the license was going to expire soon. When Porsche finally got in, there was so much talk about it in the car community for a very long time. Toyota knows damn well that their reason is hilariously ridiculous, especially not wanting their cars in Forza, which is one of the most popular racing franchises now. So I think this is all just to create a lot of buzz. You can see it's working since people are still complaining about the lack of Toyota and talking about them, and we will not stop hearing it anytime soon. As for being in Gran Turismo and other Japanese games, I guess that may just be Toyota being loyal to their home country.... I don't know.

Would be funny if Toyota did this just to get revenge on Porsche for what happened at Le Mans 2016 :lol:

Can't recall if it was iRacing or Assetto Corsa, that supposedly had the an exclusive Porsche deal, when the EA deal lifted? That wasn't to be the case.

With Toyota, it is what it is. There are a couple Lotus in Assetto Corsa. I don't know how long that deal was in effect. V8 Supercars looked ot be exclusively on Forza. Project Cars got a 2013 model. However, we found out through that developer, V8SC wanted too much money for the rights to cars and tracks. Not to mention, VASC also wanted all their circuits in a game, as part of a deal.

Say, isn't the Gazoo Racing WRC Vitz/YAris in WRC 2019?

Can't recall if it was iRacing or Assetto Corsa, that supposedly had the an exclusive Porsche deal, when the EA deal lifted? That wasn't to be the case.

With Toyota, it is what it is. There are a couple Lotus in Assetto Corsa. I don't know how long that deal was in effect. V8 Supercars looked ot be exclusively on Forza. Project Cars got a 2013 model. However, we found out through that developer, V8SC wanted too much money for the rights to cars and tracks. Not to mention, VASC also wanted all their circuits in a game, as part of a deal.

Say, isn't the Gazoo Racing WRC Vitz/YAris in WRC 2019?

Certain race series require the cars to be made accessible for merchandising/Toys/Games/etc. I don't know the exact agreements but NASCAR and WRC will be similar to the British Touring Car Championship, in that by taking part in the championship they (teams/manufactures) have to allow their cars to be used for games, etc. I think if they refuse they would be "removed" from the championship.

Assetto Corsa, when they made 3 pack of Porsche and made some professional simulator for them like they do with Ferrari

Am I the only one that thinks that Toyota's excuse of a reason is actually a distraction to cover up a marketing strategy? [snip] Toyota knows damn well that their reason is hilariously ridiculous, especially not wanting their cars in Forza, which is one of the most popular racing franchises now.
What reason are you talking about? Toyota has never said anything publicly about why they're not licensing their cars to non-Japanese developers.

What reason are you talking about? Toyota has never said anything publicly about why they're not licensing their cars to non-Japanese developers.

I'm talking about the executive talking about how video games make buying their cars in real life unnecessary. I've seen many sources mention it. However, if that statement isn't actually confirmed, then I'll leave it at "if that was their reason". I still think this is all some kind of marketing strategy, licensing or not.

Different POV. How about, Toyota does not see GT Sport as a game. But as e-Sport. Thus not a directly an agreement issue but a result of a change in focus.

Toyota mentioned they were taking some feedback on the Supra from GT players/potential customers. Traditionally all of this input was given by test drivers and media. Just mentioning this because it also seems like a change in focus.

Toyota is pretty forward thinking. And this is a really good way for car companies to get valuable information, like what color is most popular with each model.

Perhaps it's the result of nationalism, which is no stranger to the Japanese rather than an exclusive deal. Just look at the sale stats of Xbox in Japan...
Porsche uses Forza in many contries but uses GTS in Japan...
Yeah xbox is basically dead in japan
Bit missing the details. Xbox One is (practically) dead in non-western countries (not sure about Australia-NZ), not just Japan.

Initial arrogant marketing campaigns, the fact that alot of Xbox exclusives are now available on PC, and the fact that PS4 and its games and peripherals are considerably cheaper than Xbone counterpart plays alot.

Has GTP ever just straight up asked Kaz about it at an interview?

That would be rather pointless in my opinion as the reply would be "no comment" since no one would likely answer a question like that. Even if the answer was no. The same as EA never actually confirmed the Porsche licence existed in more than 10 years, as far as I recall.

8qx26jiewcw21.jpg

qwfomahewcw21.jpg

Look like PD not only one with Toyota license. Love the new AC competizion graphic unreal engine.

That would be rather pointless in my opinion as the reply would be "no comment" since no one would likely answer a question like that. Even if the answer was no. The same as EA never actually confirmed the Porsche licence existed in more than 10 years, as far as I recall.

EA bragged with that exclusive deal not only once ;)

I mean its EA ;)
Only our games have Porsche.

Only the the exact time when the deal runs out was never told by EA.

Has it been mentioned that Toyota shows up first in Brand Central, Nissan second?Logically you'd have them alphabetically, so this seems like a deliberate choice.

Has it been mentioned that Toyota shows up first in Brand Central, Nissan second?Logically you'd have them alphabetically, so this seems like a deliberate choice.
The brands aren’t in alphabetical order. This is the order in the US Section: Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Infiniti, Chaparral, Shelby, Plymouth, Tesla Motors and Pontiac....

I think Toyota is only letting Race Cars in other games. I believe Project Cars 2 has the TS040, if I’m not mistaken....
PC2 also has Toyota road cars as well, the GT86 in two road car variants.

AC also has a good number of Toyota road cars.

However, both of these were released before the suspected exclusivity deal.

Back