Does Gran Turismo Have an Exclusive Toyota Deal?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ImaRobot

ImaRobot

I really don't feel like that's a plausible reason, to be honest.

2. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

Agreed, but it's hard to deny Nissan was not the favored brand during that time.

3. Phaceless_Ph

Phaceless_Ph

Could just be the case that Forza & NFS were adding customisations/modifications to cars in-game without telling Toyota and this upset Toyota.

courageC60 likes this.
  4. Auditore

Auditore

Here's the Toyota car roster for Wangan Midnight 6 released in 2018.All the Toyota favorites are in that game,they have even more toyotas than GT Sport.It seems Toyota made a deal for only Japanese games to have their cars.

http://www.igcd.net/game.php?id=1000013571&init=T

TS050, Suzumiya and L8 Apex like this.
  5. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Until Toyota or PD come out and say, we don't know anything for sure. This article is all just speculation with some supporting evidence to back it up.

I mean PCARS2 has one Toyota road car in it and it's not Japanese at all.

6. L8 Apex

L8 Apex

I still wonder if T10/PG's quixotic SS censorship crusade didn't play a role, since the last-gen Celica SS-I in FM6 was referred to in the narration as the "Celica Super Sport," when it actually stands for Super Strut One. Of course, the FM5 narration called the same car the "SS I" (as in the letter that sounds like the vision organ), so maybe Toyota just got tired of their particular brand of gaijin idiocy.

Baliwa, bloodyboyblue and Suzumiya like this.
  7. TokoTurismo

TokoTurismo

Well whatever is going on, toyota better hurry the freak up and put ALL OF THEIR CARS in other racing games again, not just GT. I don't want to only play gran turismo or other japanese games just to drive the AE86, Supra (couldn't care less about new one), MR2, and so much others along with Lexus. We dealt with this mess during the NFS days and now we're back to square one with GT.

It's lame and has gotten me very cranky about it ever since it began...

HopAlong, JakeMR2 and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  8. Snikle

Snikle

It might not only be video games. Hot Wheels hasn't had a Toyota license in a few years now either, particularly baffling at a time when they're upping their output of Japanese cars.

XRaider likes this.
  9. zeptrans

zeptrans

Remember dark times when GT games didn't have Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche... frustration, but we survived it.
    But Toyota, one of biggest brand in the world... hummm.

And I'm thinking about JDM fans of other games (just without a Supra)... not very fair.

...Money

10. Walter_Start

Walter_Start

The situation is very curious. It's really nice for GT to get in exclusivity the new Supra. But it's weird that the Number 1 group in automotive world is widely present in only one game. And since it's not only Video games, but also diecast and toys, i think the whole marketing and licensing branch at Toyota is in trouble. Nobody knows what happening, and this is the proof that something is wrong. And since in those Japanese mega-corporation, absolute secret is the rule...

L8 Apex likes this.
  11. Suzumiya

Suzumiya

I bet if it were exclusive no one would bat an eye since it's Gran Turismo.

Also the article is false in the statement of PCARS2. They did add the TS050 in later DLC, but dunno if they refer to only road cars.

I also find the customization thing false. You wouldn't be able to swap wheels on any Toyotas or Lexuses in GTS if that were true, or design liveries. I've heard T10 lost it due to the licensing team not being satisfied with their models.

12. Haitauer

Haitauer

PDI, Sony and Toyota are all very proud japanese companies. That might be enough reason for collaboration.

Muller_cj likes this.
  13. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

When the talks of potential exclusivity began people were upset. Yeah you might have someone think it's revenge for the Porsche deal or something but who actually wants this? Some nobody?

14. MisterOne77

MisterOne77

Whatever became of that type of damage simulation?

15. ArR29

ArR29

I don't think there's an exclusive deal with Toyota. Kaz has a good relationship with a lot of Japanese car manufacturers and that would make easier for him to convince them to add their cars to his game.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    MrYasser likes this.
  16. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Not a false statement. I was talking about road cars:

ImaRobot and SlipZtrEm like this.
  17. Nielsen

Nielsen

They are better off keeping it secret if they do, because such deals make businesses look bad to those negatively affected by it.

18. Auditore

Auditore

I understand,it's just the theory i believe right now.

Toyota is extremely protective of their licenses right now,and im so curious to know the reason for it,its can't be just damage or modifications.That's just some PR generic statement.

That would be extremely petty of Toyota

ShiftingGears likes this.
  19. adokeeffe

adokeeffe

I'd add to that Toyota is about the only Japanese car company still making sports cars that normal people can afford, bucking the SUV trend with the GT86, Supra, and several models from Lexus. The game is called Gran Turismo SPORT after all.....

20. 05XR8

05XR8

We did have the TRD Toyota Tacoma back in GT4.

21. GroupB

GroupB Premium

Toyota and Lexus are both in Drift Spirits, which is one of the bigger Japanese mobile games and shares assets with the WMMT series.

sirjim73 likes this.
  22. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Well almost all of the evidence presented suggests that there is an exclusivity agreement. It just hasn't been made public yet.

23. Normalaatsra

Normalaatsra

I personally still think the 2007 article about Toyota perception of video games is outdated, and is thus not a reliable source of news. Want a better hint? It's from Kotaku. And who was the first to spread this news? A commentary YouTuber.

There is clearly something up with western Toyota firms cause it seems to be not affecting Japanese games. I think SMS and Playground Games have to get their licenses offshore from their European home base by going to Toyota USA. The only western-developed game to acquire Toyota would be Assoluto Racing. What's important to note is that Infinity Vector (the game developers) are a UK company, but with main operations located in Tokyo, Japan. Have they used this quirk to their advantage?. http://www.infinityvector.com/

Bandai Namco and SEGA (even Genki 2 years ago!) have the Toyota license, but their examples are found in arcades and mobile games, quite a niche for western players to commit to with relative ease. GT is the last surviving AAA racing game to come out of Japan, and distributed to the world as a PlayStation title. And they will be singled out as example of this exclusivity conspiracy sadly.

MrYasser and Auditore like this.
  24. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

Until they announce it I will assume no Toyota is not under an exclusive deal.

What bothers me is that Forza 7 removed not just the road cars but also the racecars which means Forza 7 did not have the TS020 and the TS040.

I careless about Toyota Roadcars but care more about their racecars.

25. Auditore

Auditore

How can you assume that when its known toyota still feature their cars in other japanese games?Toyota might have a bias for GT but there's no exclusive only with GT

sirjim73 and SestoScudo like this.
  26. AllMightyVTEC

AllMightyVTEC

If it weren’t for PD backing out, no one would be able to pay Spa in future titles

courageC60 likes this.
  27. L8 Apex

L8 Apex

Hence why I qualified it with the phrase "play a role" with regard to the matter. No way they would have severed so many ties over just that.

28. Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit

My theory is that the guy responsible for handing out car licenses in Toyota cannot speak English very well.

AussieMitch likes this.
  29. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Staff Emeritus

And yet Pikes Peak is a Gran Turismo exclusive...

So with that one, I'm wondering if it's some sort of time-based license agreement. "SMS is allowed to add [x] car into any of its titles for [y] years" or some such. We know no two license agreements are the same, so it's not outside the realm of possibility...
    I agree on the customization aspect.

As for T10 losing it due to the model quality — maybe? The MR2 and the issue with the A70's rear lights are annoying sure, but if PS2 assets were fine for a PS3 game in 2013, that sounds... a little harsh, I suppose.

Pride coming before money, though? That's a dangerous gamble for any company.

FWIW, the article has been slightly amended to focus on console exclusivity. Like you said, arcade and mobile titles are quite niche, and aren't really direct competition for GT.

Joey D and Normalaatsra like this.
  30. XRaider

XRaider

Don't forget Matchbox