Does Gran Turismo Have an Exclusive Toyota Deal?

You have to make sure that every game that you license the game to, also fulfills the terms that was set up in the license agreement. Less games, less to worry about.
I really don't feel like that's a plausible reason, to be honest.

At least Nissans, Datsuns and Infinitis appeared in non-GT games during that period...

Agreed, but it's hard to deny Nissan was not the favored brand during that time.

Here's the Toyota car roster for Wangan Midnight 6 released in 2018.All the Toyota favorites are in that game,they have even more toyotas than GT Sport.It seems Toyota made a deal for only Japanese games to have their cars.

http://www.igcd.net/game.php?id=1000013571&init=T

Until Toyota or PD come out and say, we don't know anything for sure. This article is all just speculation with some supporting evidence to back it up.

I mean PCARS2 has one Toyota road car in it and it's not Japanese at all.

Could just be the case that Forza & NFS were adding customisations/modifications to cars in-game without telling Toyota and this upset Toyota.

I still wonder if T10/PG's quixotic SS censorship crusade didn't play a role, since the last-gen Celica SS-I in FM6 was referred to in the narration as the "Celica Super Sport," when it actually stands for Super Strut One. Of course, the FM5 narration called the same car the "SS I" (as in the letter that sounds like the vision organ), so maybe Toyota just got tired of their particular brand of gaijin idiocy.

Well whatever is going on, toyota better hurry the freak up and put ALL OF THEIR CARS in other racing games again, not just GT. I don't want to only play gran turismo or other japanese games just to drive the AE86, Supra (couldn't care less about new one), MR2, and so much others along with Lexus. We dealt with this mess during the NFS days and now we're back to square one with GT.

It's lame and has gotten me very cranky about it ever since it began...

It might not only be video games. Hot Wheels hasn't had a Toyota license in a few years now either, particularly baffling at a time when they're upping their output of Japanese cars.

Remember dark times when GT games didn't have Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche... frustration, but we survived it.
But Toyota, one of biggest brand in the world... hummm.

And I'm thinking about JDM fans of other games (just without a Supra)... not very fair.

...Money

The situation is very curious. It's really nice for GT to get in exclusivity the new Supra. But it's weird that the Number 1 group in automotive world is widely present in only one game. And since it's not only Video games, but also diecast and toys, i think the whole marketing and licensing branch at Toyota is in trouble. Nobody knows what happening, and this is the proof that something is wrong. And since in those Japanese mega-corporation, absolute secret is the rule...

I bet if it were exclusive no one would bat an eye since it's Gran Turismo.

Also the article is false in the statement of PCARS2. They did add the TS050 in later DLC, but dunno if they refer to only road cars.

I also find the customization thing false. You wouldn't be able to swap wheels on any Toyotas or Lexuses in GTS if that were true, or design liveries. I've heard T10 lost it due to the licensing team not being satisfied with their models.

I bet if it were exclusive no one would bat an eye since it's Gran Turismo.

When the talks of potential exclusivity began people were upset. Yeah you might have someone think it's revenge for the Porsche deal or something but who actually wants this? Some nobody?

Simple, possible reason: the visual damage model's limitations.
Forza, Need For Speed, Project Cars etc. have visual damage as a large feature of the game. However, Polyphony's games don't because they chose to not have heavy visual damage so they could get more cars licenced. It is clear that Polyphony can do visual damage, as seen in this clip from Gamescom '09:
View attachment 816737

Also, there were actually physical track side tires in this video, that reacted to contact. This lack of inclusion in the future could even be for licencing purposes.

However, this does not match with the "not wanting cars in games because it makes real cars unnecessary" statement. So I don't know.

Whatever became of that type of damage simulation?

I don't think there's an exclusive deal with Toyota. Kaz has a good relationship with a lot of Japanese car manufacturers and that would make easier for him to convince them to add their cars to his game.

Last edited:
Also the article is false in the statement of PCARS2. They did add the TS050 in later DLC, but dunno if they refer to only road cars.

Not a false statement. I was talking about road cars:

We did get a brief glimmer of hope with Project Cars 2 though. When Slightly Mad Studios released the car list for its game, it contained one Toyota road car, the GT86, which had appeared in the original game too. However, that glimmer soon went dark. Since its release, PCARS2 had found itself with the same Toyota drought as other titles.

They are better off keeping it secret if they do, because such deals make businesses look bad to those negatively affected by it.

Until Toyota or PD come out and say, we don't know anything for sure. This article is all just speculation with some supporting evidence to back it up.

I understand,it's just the theory i believe right now.

Toyota is extremely protective of their licenses right now,and im so curious to know the reason for it,its can't be just damage or modifications.That's just some PR generic statement.

I still wonder if T10/PG's quixotic SS censorship crusade didn't play a role, since the last-gen Celica SS-I in FM6 was referred to in the narration as the "Celica Super Sport," when it actually stands for Super Strut One. Of course, the FM5 narration called the same car the "SS I" (as in the letter that sounds like the vision organ), so maybe Toyota just got tired of their particular brand of gaijin idiocy.

That would be extremely petty of Toyota

Last edited:
PDI, Sony and Toyota are all very proud japanese companies. That might be enough reason for collaboration.
I'd add to that Toyota is about the only Japanese car company still making sports cars that normal people can afford, bucking the SUV trend with the GT86, Supra, and several models from Lexus. The game is called Gran Turismo SPORT after all.....

Toyota and Lexus are both in Drift Spirits, which is one of the bigger Japanese mobile games and shares assets with the WMMT series.

Well almost all of the evidence presented suggests that there is an exclusivity agreement. It just hasn't been made public yet.

I personally still think the 2007 article about Toyota perception of video games is outdated, and is thus not a reliable source of news. Want a better hint? It's from Kotaku. And who was the first to spread this news? A commentary YouTuber.

There is clearly something up with western Toyota firms cause it seems to be not affecting Japanese games. I think SMS and Playground Games have to get their licenses offshore from their European home base by going to Toyota USA. The only western-developed game to acquire Toyota would be Assoluto Racing. What's important to note is that Infinity Vector (the game developers) are a UK company, but with main operations located in Tokyo, Japan. Have they used this quirk to their advantage?. http://www.infinityvector.com/

Bandai Namco and SEGA (even Genki 2 years ago!) have the Toyota license, but their examples are found in arcades and mobile games, quite a niche for western players to commit to with relative ease. GT is the last surviving AAA racing game to come out of Japan, and distributed to the world as a PlayStation title. And they will be singled out as example of this exclusivity conspiracy sadly.

Until they announce it I will assume no Toyota is not under an exclusive deal.

What bothers me is that Forza 7 removed not just the road cars but also the racecars which means Forza 7 did not have the TS020 and the TS040.

I careless about Toyota Roadcars but care more about their racecars.

I don't think that Kaz is this type of person who would go on very exclusive deal, especially after all these years with Porsche and EA.

And yet Pikes Peak is a Gran Turismo exclusive...

So with that one, I'm wondering if it's some sort of time-based license agreement. "SMS is allowed to add [x] car into any of its titles for [y] years" or some such. We know no two license agreements are the same, so it's not outside the realm of possibility...
I also find the customization thing false. You wouldn't be able to swap wheels on any Toyotas or Lexuses in GTS if that were true, or design liveries. I've heard T10 lost it due to the licensing team not being satisfied with their models.

I agree on the customization aspect.

As for T10 losing it due to the model quality — maybe? The MR2 and the issue with the A70's rear lights are annoying sure, but if PS2 assets were fine for a PS3 game in 2013, that sounds... a little harsh, I suppose.

PDI, Sony and Toyota are all very proud japanese companies. That might be enough reason for collaboration.

Pride coming before money, though? That's a dangerous gamble for any company.

Bandai Namco and SEGA (even Genki 2 years ago!) have the Toyota license, but their examples are found in arcades and mobile games, quite a niche for western players to commit to with relative ease. GT is the last surviving AAA racing game to come out of Japan, and distributed to the world as a PlayStation title. And they will be singled out as example of this exclusivity conspiracy sadly.

FWIW, the article has been slightly amended to focus on console exclusivity. Like you said, arcade and mobile titles are quite niche, and aren't really direct competition for GT.

Back