Does Gran Turismo Have an Exclusive Toyota Deal?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 24, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

I remember a while (a year or two) ago that Toyota stayed they were pulling out of racing games in general because “we don’t like seeing our cars being modified or used illegally in games”. So they were against their publicly built image as a manufacturer of street racing machines.

Maybe they only allow GT to have access to their cars because it presents Toyota in a more “mature and professional” light as the game is based around non-modified and racing vehicles at sanctioned tracks with FIA involvement?

Either way I hope someone in GTP’s writing department can reach out to Toyota for a comment. Other racing game fans don’t deserve to have their favourite cars taken away.

3. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

And yet they appear in Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 6, released almost a year ago.

JakeMR2 and AgentBlackDog like this.
  4. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

I don’t remember the exact date so don’t quote me on this, but perhaps the Wangan Midnight games got ahold of the licence before the decision was made or they could have a multi-game deal?

5. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

6. MichalRaven

MichalRaven

I would say that 'Toyota has a deal with Gran Turismo'. I belive it was on UK Toyota YouTube channel, where was a comment made by UK Toyota, that Toyota Japan is responsible for licensing in the car games. So step 1: it easier to make a deal in one country (PD and Toyota and I'm also pointing at The Crew 2 and Bugatti Divo as example, or Playground Games and McLaren). Step 2: Toyota wasn't happy with car modifications and if we look at Forzas or Need for Speed, it's all about customization, wings, bumpers, hoods etc. They might not be happy with that and they want to present their cars as stock as possible...

I don't think that Kaz is this type of person who would go on very exclusive deal, especially after all these years with Porsche and EA.

im_seb30 and courageC60 like this.
  7. O604

O604

I know nothing about licenses and such for other games. I just hope this is what's happening with GT Sport. :D

2014: PD signs agreement with FIA
    2017: GT Sport is released
    2019: Toyota teams with PD to debut car and host online race
    2019 + other companies follow

8. 05XR8

05XR8

Could just be Toyota want to showcase cars in Japanese games. Maybe similar to Japan only GT Sport contests. I don't know.

Could be a whole marketing strategy done having Gazoo Racing pump more life into Toyota products. Once they "stopped" TRD, Toyota had no sports cars and their image in motorsports was pretty much nil.
    Reinvigorated by the collaboration with Subaru, via 86, Gazoo Racing and GRMN, maybe Toyota see PD, as that home grown company to help their image. WRC, NASCAR, 86 global series, etc.

Look at the Super Formula series. A Japan only series with more exposure in GT. Super GT, with quite possibly the A90 Supra GT500 coming to GT SPORT between now and the 2020 SuperGT season.
    Maybe it's this collaboration with PD that helps boost Gran Turismo sales numbers. I don't know, but maybe PD and Toyota have something going on for both parties.

MrYasser, Baliwa and The Chosen One like this.
  9. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

I really don't think that's the case, because there's games that are missing Toyota and Lexus production vehicles out there, where as GT has a good chunk of them, and continues to get them ever since they've basically went missing from the console games available. The only Toyota production vehicle that I've seen in a different game than GTS has been the GT86. I'm talking about games with a circuit racing experience. At least on consoles.

Which makes it a bit more interesting. Are they only licensing to Japanese Devs?

No, I hope that whatever is happening with Toyota and PD doesn't continue to happen for more manufacturers. As all it does is hurt racing fans in the genre.

Which basically still sounds like an exclusive license.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Beezer215 likes this.
  10. StealthVel

StealthVel

Simple, possible reason: the visual damage model's limitations.
    Forza, Need For Speed, Project Cars etc. have visual damage as a large feature of the game. However, Polyphony's games don't because they chose to not have heavy visual damage so they could get more cars licenced. It is clear that Polyphony can do visual damage, as seen in this clip from Gamescom '09:
    upload_2019-4-24_20-2-58.png

Also, there were actually physical track side tires in this video, that reacted to contact. This lack of inclusion in the future could even be for licencing purposes.

However, this does not match with the "not wanting cars in games because it makes real cars unnecessary" statement. So I don't know.

11. pininvolante

pininvolante

I’ve always thought that it was because GT was made by a Japanese developer. I think that’d explain why Toyota still has a presence in Midnight Maximum Tune also.

12. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

PD gets Toyota, everyone else gets Spa.

A fair trade, I'd say. :p

13. juanffy18

juanffy18

So please TS10, TS20, Minolta, Supra Super GT, Celica´s for GTSport

Brzlav and courageC60 like this.
  14. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

The issue being that they don't have more cars licensed, going off what we know.

AussieMitch likes this.
  15. kjeldsen

kjeldsen

*EDIT*

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  16. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

Kinda my theory too. I also forgot to mention Toyota plays a large part in Initial D Arcade Stage Zero (of course), also released around a year ago.

17. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

What exactly is easier in this context?

18. mthomas_95

mthomas_95

The Paris World Tour was almost just a Toyota promo event with some racing chucked in as an afterthought.

It's certainly presenting issues with the Manufacturer Series, hence the lack of Official Season unlike Nations. There are 25 Manufacturers in total, but only 1 gets the special red carpet treatment which is to the massive detriment of the long term health of the game as a competitive platform. The FIA deal doesn't last forever...

MrYasser and bloodyboyblue like this.
  19. Crazy Taylor

Crazy Taylor

PD definitely does have an exclusive deal. Game is starting to smack of Toyota gloriness. Wouldn't be surprised to see likes of the gt-one and so on

courageC60 likes this.
  20. Populuxe Cowboy

Populuxe Cowboy Premium

Whatever considerations went into creating this deal, it's clear the one thing they didn't consider were the players.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Dezcom, HopAlong, Quakebass and 9 others like this.
  21. Lee x sensai

Lee x sensai

I don't know how close PD with Toyota is but thing with this tweet back kinda led believe they in bed back in 2015. One gt academy members from Nissan didn't get renew contract. He ending up joining the Emily fre racing and help development RCF Lexus. This back in 2015 and fast forward now PD sponsor the team for blancpain series along with Nissan. Look at the game why PD have two different versions Lexus RCF. One with prototype and one with final Version. Maybe PD decided send one there academy member driver to help develop the car, led have Toyota backing. It just my speculation when I research about this.

IMG_3959.PNG

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  22. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

How is that any different than the GT Academy? If anything the GT Academy/Nissan deal was even worse in that regard!

23. Auditore

Auditore

I dont think they have a deal with PD,i do think Toyota wants to license their cars for only japanese games(Wangan Midnight has some road toyota cars right?And they can be modified).Another thing that might give PD some leverage over other games(this is only a theory) is their involvement with the FIA,it might influence some manufacturers to think "huh if this game is involved with the FIA that means it shares our company standards).I'm leaning on the first theory of japanese games exclusivity.

24. mthomas_95

mthomas_95

They weren't trying to run a competition involving 25 different Manufacturers back in the GT Academy days.

Manufacturers are an extremely parnoid bunch and I honestly don't blame them being reluctant to get more heavily involved. I suspect 9 out of 10 Formula One teams would be extremely cross if Mercedes became the Official Sponsor of Formula One over and above supplying the Safety Car :lol:

Quakebass and bloodyboyblue like this.
  25. JoeDaSnow

JoeDaSnow

Talk about brand loyalty. EA had an exclusive Porsche deal until December 12, 2016. I compare the GT exclusive deal with Toyota to what EA had done to Porsche.

26. Auditore

Auditore

Yeah i dont think thats a big deal,Nissan has been a major GT sponsor for years,GT Sport had trailers with Nissan Drivers promoting the game before release,and there was also that youtube series with Nissan Drivers talking about GT Sport.As long as there isn't a advantage to the sponsor in the game it's all good.

Its a bit different with Formula One games because its just representing one official racing category.GT has a Formula One,a Super Formula,Super GT and etcetera.No conflict of interest.

I do remember a funny rumor about Ferrari not wanting Vettel(or their F1 car) behind Hamilton/Mercedes on the cover,might be the reason Vettel is front and center in the F1 2018 cover.

27. AlanH49

AlanH49

I see no reason why the FIA deal wouldn’t continue longterm. They’re a governing body and want to be involved in Esports.

In a recent interview Kaz also said Toyota backing ESports was akin to manufactures backing GT1 back in the day. He believes their support will encourage others to join in an official capacity.

Timlour likes this.
  28. Aloha62_2

Aloha62_2

If they have given up car tuning, damage and other features to secure a dozen or so cars then it was a bad deal.

HarVee likes this.
  29. kjeldsen

kjeldsen

*EDIT*

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  30. L8 Apex

L8 Apex

At least Nissans, Datsuns and Infinitis appeared in non-GT games during that period...