Don't Expect Sony to Announce the PlayStation 5 at E3 This Year

More to the point, PlayStation head Shawn Layden squashed the rumors. On the PlayStation Blogcast he states (beginning at 10:44) “there will be no new hardware announcements at E3 this year.” It doesn’t get any better than confirmation from the man himself. Instead, Sony will focus on its catalog of games from a variety of developers at this year’s event.

Welp, that statement has also outruled the possibility of a revised PS4 Pro then. :(

Price drop maybe?

A website (comicbook) started romours about Gran Turismo 7 and Playstation 5 on 6th of May 2018 thankfully it's not coming soon.

Last edited:
I just hope when PS5 does come out of the woodworks, it brings a brand new Gran Turismo title with it.
My guess is somewhere between 2020 and 2022.

Thank goodness for that. If the PS5 did release this year I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

PS5 really should come asap. Being first on this round too would help on sales. Price could be 500-700€ with heavy increases to power and capacity to deal with 4K.

Well, PC gaming is prohibitively expensive over here, so I'm not joining the "dark side" anytime soon...
Opposite over on this end of the world, gaming consoles, not only would they be awfully expensive by themselves, but the games are at double price compared to PC games and that's along with the silly concept of paying for online.

Coincidentally that made me bail out of the PS4 and probably onward as long as nothing changes altogether.

By the way how come people believe rumours that spring up with minimal company teasing, again?

Not before AMD Navi comes out and dram prices go back to normal. The next gen consoles need to have min 24gb of ram, 6 core Ryzen level cpu and gtx1080 level gpu. I don’t see Sony being able to pull that off for a $399 console anytime soon. Navi should hit mainstream next year and 7nm yields should be sorted by 2020 so my guess is fall 2020. I just hope the gpu is around 1080ti level.

Even though it's been four and a half years, it still seems premature to talk about the next generation. It takes so long for software libraries to enter their stride these days, at least for bigger non-indie games. In my opinion, the PS4 and XBone didn't really get going until about two years ago.

I know the industry is already a meatgrinder for rank-and-file employees, according to many who have shared their experiences, so it's not like they can crank out the same stuff faster. Major developers/publishers need to rein in their excesses. I don't think the current paradigm is sustainable.

checkerboard and upscale, maybe few titles with meh visuals. Native 4K isnt for mainstream consoles, its premium resolution.

That isn't explicitly true. You're probably (correct me if I'm wrong) looking at it from the perspective of what it takes to run the resolution on PC hardware as it is now. Most, if not all of these same concerns were voiced when games started using higher end textures when HD took off 11-12 years ago — how'd that turn out?

Consoles will always have one key advantage in its favor: streamlined hardware. It's all the same for every user and developer; there are no anomalies, no additional performance to be had by swapping out the CPU or GPU with something that has a higher clock or memory buffer. Like I said in the article, throwing in my own speculation lands us somewhere in the 12GB of memory at a bare minimum if both Sony and Microsoft continue pushing 4K just as they did 720p/1080p. As beneficial it may be, consoles need to move away unified memory and have a *dedicated* buffer for the OS and any background tasks because it eats into that pool too much.

I don't understand why some people are expecting the PS5 to come out so soon, and get disappointed that it's not coming out soon. It's only been like 4 1/2 years since the PS4 launched. The usual console life cycle is around 8 years. Plus, IMO the PS4 is at its prime right now; releasing a new console would just be detrimental to business.

Pretty soon ya'll console gamers will see that it's about time to come to the dark side. [evil laugh commences]

The minute I am able to move out into my own place, I'm selling my Xbox One and going straight PC, with a PS4 to play Yakuza/Persona/MLB The Show and any other PS exclusive. There's simply no point to having an Xbox now that the only series I really care for, Forza, can be easily had on PC.

Unfortunately mining has ruined the viability of PC gaming at a reasonable cost so probably not.

Anecdotal, but:

GPU prices are already going down as of late April, and it's only a matter of time before crypto-currencies like Bitcoin crater like the false hope, get rich quick schemes that they are.

On topic, there is absolutely no chance that the next generation of consoles is announced any time before 2020, and even then, I doubt we will be seeing anything other then bite sized pieces of hardware additions. Sony and Microsoft have essentially bet the farm on iterative consoles, and now they want to see the money train roll through before once again trying the same thing in the ninth generation of consoles.

Well some said it's 7 years per console gem. (So that puts it in the 2020 range?)
So expect a PS5 announcement in 2019,
Also with GT7 expect it around the same time (Given the trend of 2 games per console)

So it's just a matter of no hardware but software.
What else can the PS4 do?
Maybe it can do an Other OS system?

Just thoughts.

I don't understand why some people are expecting the PS5 to come out so soon, and get disappointed that it's not coming out soon. It's only been like 4 1/2 years since the PS4 launched. The usual console life cycle is around 8 years. Plus, IMO the PS4 is at its prime right now; releasing a new console would just be detrimental to business.
A single console's full lifespan certainly, but not the lifecycle of the generation as a whole; that's around 6 - 6.5 years. Look at the PS2 for example. Though replaced by the PS3 in the summer of 2006, the final high-profile releases came out in late 2008 (NFS: Undercover, Quantum of Solace, Mercs 2, MotoGP '08) and thereafter all you got was the yearly reskinned sports titles with engines dating back to the Millennium.

By that logic, we should expect a PS5 no earlier than winter 2019 and some decent AAA titles through to 2021. I already predicted that GT Sport's servers would be shut down in January 2022 given how long GT6's remained for, so unless FIA pull the plug or something we still got a good 4 years to go.

Welp, that statement has also outruled the possibility of a revised PS4 Pro then. :(

Price drop maybe?
I'd dive into a PS4 Pro if a price reduction happened. Can't really justify it right now given all I really play on the console is Rocket League and GT Sport. :lol:

For the record, the PS3 was launched in 2006 and the PS4 in 2013 -> exactly 7 years later ! The last years of PS3 era were a nightmare with low framerates or bad resolution games compared to what PC could do at this time. I don't want to see the same scenario AGAIN. IMO the console should have a 5 years cycle MAXIMUM. In 5 years Nvidia or AMD have time to launch 5 new graphic cards generations...

The PS4 power isn't enough anymore. We have a beautiful GT Sport in 1080p@60fps but at what cost ? No wheather effects, no dynamic time of day, a PSVR mode with only 2 cars at a time, replays only at 30 fps... The PS4 Pro is the biggest joke ever because editors can't develop "only Pro games" so we only have the same game as the vanilla one but with one or 2 light graphical updates. Also the PS4 Pro is not even powerful enough for 4K at 60 fps (at least for GT Sport)...

The money argument has absolutely no sense IMO because even if you've paid 400€/$ for a PS4, when the PS5 will launch you can sell your PS4 for at least 150-200€/$ it means that the real cost on a 5 years cycle will be around 40€/$ per year it means around 4€/$ per month...

I really hope for a 2019 PS5 launch but even with a 2019 E3 announcement I'm not really confident.

The minute I am able to move out into my own place, I'm selling my Xbox One and going straight PC, with a PS4 to play Yakuza/Persona/MLB The Show and any other PS exclusive. There's simply no point to having an Xbox now that the only series I really care for, Forza, can be easily had on PC.

This. Microsoft can hype up the hardware on their X1X as much as they can, but if they don't have any really good brand-new exclusives to show it off (especially at the console's launch :grumpy:), then the power is pretty much useless.

Which brings to mind, Scalebound. It was really the perfect game to be released alongside the X1X. Announced for 2016 but delayed for 2017, and eventually cancelled. If it wasn't cancelled, Microsoft could have delayed it even more to feature awesome 4k enhancements which could potentially make your eyes water, and frankly, which would make X1X owners very, very proud. But no, it wasn't meant to be. I'd like to believe something happened during the talks between MS and PlatinumGames, as if they disagreed on some points but never really come to terms and couldn't accept the other party's compromise. So sad.

A single console's full lifespan certainly, but not the lifecycle of the generation as a whole; that's around 6 - 6.5 years. Look at the PS2 for example. Though replaced by the PS3 in the summer of 2006, the final high-profile releases came out in late 2008 (NFS: Undercover, Quantum of Solace, Mercs 2, MotoGP '08) and thereafter all you got was the yearly reskinned sports titles with engines dating back to the Millennium.

I still think it's too early for the next generation of consoles to come out, especially since it's only about 2016 that the PS4 really had proper games of its own, not like the remastered and "definitive" editions of previous-gen consoles in its first 2 years.

By that logic, we should expect a PS5 no earlier than winter 2019 and some decent AAA titles through to 2021. I already predicted that GT Sport's servers would be shut down in January 2022 given how long GT6's remained for, so unless FIA pull the plug or something we still got a good 4 years to go.

Judging by how GT Sport is different compared to previous GT games, I'm thinking GT Sport will have a PS5 version, and its servers will carry on. Also, since the save files are over at PD's servers, there's no need to worry about porting or transferring our save files to the new console.

No it won't lol.

I bet many of the games will still use checkerboard rendering to reach 4k even.
When Tokyo won the right to host the Olympics in 2020 they agreed with all the electronic manufacturers (including Sony) that the whole thing would be shown in full 8K.

Do you really think Sony won't take full advantage of that with the PS5? Do they strike you as a company that looks backwards or treads water or are they a company that always steps forward?

It is irrelevant what developers do with it. Most PS3 games weren't 1080P, most PS4 games are not 4K and I'm sure most games won't be 8K on PS5.

I still expect the PS5 by fall of 2019. That would be right in line with every other console generation PlayStation has had. This isn't a surprise; there are already reports that Mark Cerny's team have made the rounds a while back to meet with developers and discuss what they want in PS5. The same thing happened during PS4 development, which really helped Sony nail the design. I'd say the PS5 is about 3 years into development at this point, judging by how long PS4 was in design/development. The release is closer than many think. It won't be this year, of course, but 2019 is the prime target IMO.

Also, E3 won't be the place; Sony will hold their own special event like they did for the PS4 reveal in NYC. Mark Cerny (genius) will be there to present the details again.

Last edited:
I don't believe PS5 will be console hardware at all. It should become fiber / cloud service , where all you need to buy is a controller, connected to 5GHz AC3 wifi, and a subscription plan to play the entire Sony library of games, for $299 a year.

Back